Start by marking “Secret Diary Of A Demented Housewife” as Want to Read:
Secret Diary Of A Demented Housewife

Secret Diary Of A Demented Housewife

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  345 ratings  ·  61 reviews
When Susie's maiden aunt gives her a housekeeping journal, she expects Susie to use it for jotting down nutritious recipes and planning household budgets. But Susie has more important things on her mind ...Like how to keep sane while trying to control a four-year-old diva who thinks she's Judy Garland, as well as a thrill-seeking toddler with a death wish. Not to mention m ...more
Published October 25th 2007 (first published May 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Diary Of A Demented Housewife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Diary Of A Demented Housewife

Lauren
I've never read a book with a more dislikable main character, who is not demented, just excruciatingly stupid. She screws her husband over because he doesn't constantly fan fragile her ego and then forces him to shoulder the blame because she's that pathetic she can't take responsibility for her own (irrational) actions. The situations are also massively exaggerated. There's nothing wrong with subtle humour, Greene's just incapable of writing comedy without using a sledgehammer to drive it home. ...more
Amy
I can't even finish this book. I'm an hour in, and only that because I was trapped on a train with nothing else to do. It's like a bad impression of the worst part of a Bridget Jones book.
Mariam Abood
I remember not being able to even finish this book, because it was so bad. I remember the only reason why people got into this book was because this book came out around the same time The Diary Of Bridget Jones hit the big screens and became a massive success, so as result, epistolary novels saw a surge in success, and everyone picked this book up thinking it was going to be like Bridget Jones. Unfortunately it was far fucking from it. Because of this, if ever you went to a carboot sale, you wou ...more
Tracy Terry
Funny(ish) but not nearly as funny as it might have been. As much of the humour lies in the fact that many readers, whether they be a thirty something 'demented housewife' and mother of two themselves or simply know one, will probably relate to at least some of the goings on.

Full of stereotypical characters - the workaholic father, the over-bearing mother in law, the 'hippy' mother, the sexy barbie doll like secretary, the career girl VBF (Very Best Friend) and her MOM (Man of the Moment). But i
Martina
Hilarious- If you think life is bad, read this. had me chuckling in my bed way after i should have been sleeping!
Leah
At the beginning of this year (2010) I read Letters To A Love Rat by Niamh Greene. I’d heard a lot about Niamh’s books so I was pleased to find a second hand copy of Letters To A Love Rat. Unfortunately, though, I didn’t really like the book. However I was told that Secret Diary of a Demented Housewife was miles better so when I saw it in the charity shop I decided to pick it up. I began reading it while I was waiting to have my hair cut and I was soon hooked, thoroughly enjoying peeking into th ...more
Best Books To Read
This Niamh Greene book featuring Susie, is the first book I have read of hers and having read the synopsis was looking forward to an enjoyable read. Susie is a mother and housewife who has left work to bring up her two children. Her diary is that of a mum driven to the point of distraction by wayward children, a life where she competes with Eco-friendly school mothers and a best friend who needs a shoulder to cry on.
The first few chapters were very easy to get on with as we read and learn about
Lthelibrarylover
I had real issues with the main character in this book. She is so immature, shallow, lazy, disorganised and delusional. What really annoyed me is that she would constantly talk about losing weight and then go and eat an absurd amount of junk food. Like seriously? Also who the hell pits themselves against other people in the way that she does beyond school? Also she is ridiculously obsessed with celebrity gossip. She is always jealous of her friend, like grow up, you chose to have kids! There wer ...more
Kylie
I found the central character quite unlikeable - which I know was probably how I was meant to feel about her. Unfortunately I didn't warm to her throughout the book, which again I was probably meant to do. She was annoying, lacked intelligence and tact, as well as being quite rude and lazy. Nothing much really happened either to make it a riveting read.
I did, however, like the diary style of writing.
Adele Symonds
The blurb on the back of this book starts: ‘One housewife. One year. One hilarious insight into modern family life.’

I hated this book, I didn’t like the narrative character and I didn’t feel that it was representative of a normal everyday housewife.

I found the narrator to be whingy and whiney, negative to the extreme, judgmental of other people, insecure, rude, shallow and unloving.

If this describes me then PLEASE tell me so I can change.

I could not relate to her at all and it felt like she didn
Tracey
Awful. I only managed 20 pages before I threw it in the bag for the charity shop. Poorly written, no likeable characters and after the 20 pages were up I realised I couldn't care less what happened to the characters and that there was surely something else I could do with my time.
Sallyann Van leeuwen
My main problem with this book was the main character, Susie. There was nothing to like about her, so I was never invested in her. She was shallow and self indulgent, and negative. If I had a reason to like the character, then I would have felt the laughs, and smiled at the appropriate parts. Granted, as a stay at home Mum you can become a little isolated, but Susie saw everyone in a negative light, and didn't have a nice word to say about anyone, even if it was meant to be tongue in cheek.
Maria
Funny bits I identified with, but Yep it was as shallow as it looks. And depressingly overplays all gender stereotypes.
Cathie
Easy reading, perfect to just pick up and drop at will, some funny parts, but didn't really live up to the info I'd read previously.
Nookie
This book is quite hilarious, even tho I find some scenes a tad too exaggerated. Good for easy reading as it's written in the style of a diary. But let's give some credit to full-time housewives cause I'm pretty sure most housewives (around the world) are not seriously driven demented by their breed. I'm also confident that housewife mothers nowadays do know how to divide their time accordingly and do have better things to do, instead of just watching daytime opera, slog around in their jogging ...more
Yaya
I love blogging, so naturally I love blogwalking and reading other people's blog. It all come down as my hobby to read diaries.

Soo when I got an opportunity to read the book, I simply cannot put the book down. Ok, it wasn't so hilarious as the reviewer said, still the story is addictive. How a housewife managed to keep her sanity over her daily problems. What I love most is the book cover: funny..witty..simple yet inviting.
Barry Rocklin
An Irish housewife falls for the only man in her mommy/toddler play group, while her husband, out of town on a business trip, appears to be having an affair with his young, buxom secretary.

If a Shirley Valentine-esque Irish writing style and UK'isms are uncomfortable for the American reader, it would affect their enjoyment of this book. I, however, was not put off by this, and found it light and entertaining.
Lizzy Attwood
This is the first Niamh Greene Book i read, judging by the title i new it wasn't for my age range, nor social status but the Lead Character is just so fabulous you can't not enjoy the book, it has her in rather cringeworthy situtations and but it's very believeable and thats what i love its about this book; it's ordinary people and how they cope with life, and that I think makes this a perfect summer ready, light and zesty.
penelopewanders
Jasmine Anne Victoria Bamber
I love this bookI was laughing out loud from start to finish. Suzy the main carecter does not beat up her kids which I was quite worried about she just gives into them. I love the part where her dauhter wants a pink bikini and shes convinced to get her one because all the other kids have one. Gets book for alight read you wont be dissapointed.
Cathy Greenlaw
If you're a fan of mommy blogs, chances are you'll like this book. Shortcoming is that pace of the book feels a bit frenetic - and it doesn't waver in that regard. Still droll and amusing, and it's a nice change from traditional chick lit that typically focuses on single women characters.
Sabreena
If you are bored and you are looking for something mindless to read, then this will be a good option. It was definitely entertaining and funny. But i would say that's all it has. Niamh did a good job in creating a great backdrop for the demented housewife. It was a fun read.
Lisa Chawner
I was going on holidays & wanted something easy, lighthearted & funny to read. Saw this on the shelf at the library & it jumped out at me, I really liked it & will look to see if the author has written any others. Modern day dramas of a housewife very funny!
Lesley
Mar 23, 2009 Lesley is currently reading it
...just started this during my lunch hour, but so far so good. We all know that I can't relate to the wife and or mommy element of the story, but it's a big best seller in the UK and I've loved other novels like it before... I'll keep you posted.
Nicola
I like diary-style books as it means you can read just a little bit at a time. I enjoyed the book but, as others have said, it is standard chick-lit. Not bad, but not as good as others out there, and quite predictable.
Amy
Sometimes exasperating and tedious, but other times laugh out loud funny. I'd recommend NOT reading this in one sitting, but rather in fits and starts... say as your bathtub reading, or your breakfast reading, or whatever.
Andrea
I enjoyed this book, found it easy to read, and it did make me laugh a lot, but some of it was a bit unbelievable, but then the author declares she doesn't know anyone quite as bad as Susie in the book. Thank Goodness!
Rachel
If you are married and have children then you will both love and relate to this book, great book that had me laughing out loud and embaressing myself on the bus..a sign of a good read i reckon.
Megan Anderson
I thought this book was hilarious. It's an Irish author, and she makes a lot of references to Irish popular culture, so others might not find it as funny. I actually found myself laughing out loud!
  • Slummy Mummy
  • Never Say Never (Lakeview #3)
  • The Fabulously Fashionable Life of Isabel Bookbinder (Isabel Bookbinder #2)
  • Mommy by Mistake
  • Three In A Bed
  • Deadkidsongs
  • Sorting Out Billy
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • The TV Kid
  • How To Be A Little Sod
  • Winter Warmers
  • The Mistress
  • The Bridesmaid Pact
  • Karen's Haircut (Babysitters Little Sister, #8)
  • A Proper Family Holiday
  • Personally I Blame My Fairy Godmother
  • Just the Three of Us
  • Showdown at the Mall (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #2)
Coco's Secret Letters to a Love Rat Rules for a Perfect Life A Message to Your Heart Confessions Of A Demented Housewife: The Celebrity Year