Start by marking “The Last Vampire (Hunger, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last Vampire (Hunger, #2)

The Last Vampire (Hunger #2)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  427 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Following on the heels of the highly successful The Hunger, Whitley Strieber continues the deliriously horrifying vampire saga. Vampire hunter Paul Ward is closing in on the long-standing object of his pursuit: Miriam Blaylock, the eternal predator whose beauty and guile are surpassed only by her thirst for blood. Yet, Miriam has her own plans for Paul -- a diabolical plot ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Pocket Star Books (first published July 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Vampire

Tail of the Devil by Danielle DeVorInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDracula by Bram StokerThe Vampire Lestat by Anne RiceThe Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice
Fantastic Vampire Fiction
21st out of 94 books — 64 voters
Stiff by Mary RoachDark Mission by Richard C. HoaglandBeyond the Body Farm by William M. BassThe Orphan Conspiracies by James MorcanChicago Haunts by Ursula Bielski
Coast to Coast Am
66th out of 93 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

M—
Drivel. God, so bad. The whole thing is a series of puerile man-boy sex fantasies splashed up on the page, luridly written and poorly plotted to boot.

I read this book in its entirely as an ARC when it was first published, and circumstances have recently caused me to revisit it. At the time I read it, I was unaware it was part of a series and so I came to the book without any inherit affection for the characters. Reading the book did not endear them to me. Miriam in particular started off as a ch
Collette
I read a lot of vampire paranormal romance and though I really enjoyed this book, you should not confuse it with paranormal romance. Even though there is a bit of romance and it's definately paranormal it's more horror, IMHO. I love horror though so it worked for me.
This is the second book in the trilogy and it was rating a 5 star for me until the end which I thought was pretty lame. It does set things up for another book but that was about it.
In The Hunger we have Miriam and Sarah's story of
Hertzan Chimera
THE LAST VAMPIRE continues the story of THE HUNGER's vampire Miriam Blaylock. Her last husband, David, is still in the attic bedded into his coffin like a wrinkled old pot plant. A corpse that refuses to die, along side all her other husbands and wives from thousands of years of herding the human animal.

For those of you who have only seen the movie THE HUNGER, you will feel misled by this book. As good as that Tony Scott directed movie was, as atmospheric and stylish and riveting as it was, cast
Ray
This is the sequel to Whitley Strieber's successful book "The Hunger." For any reader who is fascinated by vampire lore will surely love these books. I'm an avid fan of Anne Rice and thought that I would never again be able to read or think about vampires without comparing them to her, however, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Strieber's take on vampire culture was altogether different, and interesting.

At the heart of this novel is a love story told from different points of view: a slave
Holly Booms Walsh
Surprisingly lush and a tiny bit archaic, which works for vampire novels as it seems to transport the reader into the foreign mind of a vampire. I likened this book to the writing of Anne Rice rather than to the recent glut of "modern" urban fantasy novels because it is in a more elegant timeless style, rather than a story that is hip and uses street slang and pop culture references - though it is set in modern day. It is surprisingly lovely, in a macabre way.
Steve
With typical impulsivity, immediately upon finishing The Hunger, I ordered author Whitley Strieber's sequel. I understood that there was a long gap in between novels, but I figured that was all-the-more likely to ensure a well-planned follow-up. Wow, was I wrong. Since other reviewers have specified the totally inexcusable lack of consistency between the two novels, I'll skip that complaint.

Things started smoothly enough, and the sampling I had at the end of my e-reader copy of The Hunger whette
Stephen
The weakest of the three.

Too much attention given to new characters (who did not 'earn' such attention). I think the idea was to try and get younger readers for Strieber, and if he was given such advice it did not benefit him here.

The ending was rushed.
Megan
Dec 28, 2008 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Vampire fans
Recommended to Megan by: Stacey
This book is just as enthralling as the first, with its great writing style and voice. I love that both the humans and vampires refer to the other as 'creatures'. The style is stark and honest, without over romanticizing the realities of any of the characters.
Becky
I love anything "vampire" - I picked this up at a used book store not knowing that it was a sequel... I'm having trouble finding the first - but this book was a good read on it's own... I don't feel that I've missed anything in not reading the first!
Amethyst Shadow
I guess that I'm going to have to read the first one.
Judah
Finally, vampires who aren't tres chic. Well, actually, Miriam IS tres chic, but unfortunately she doesn't realize that her fashions are 20 years out-of-date...just one of many nice small touches.
*Almost* four stars....but not quite.
Vickiek
I didn't finish this book. The idea seemed good enough, but it dragged and I couldn't get invested in the characters. I cannot pin point what made this sub par, but it just was.
Kc
Loved it! A race of bloodsuckers (vampires) have spent years breeding and cultivating humans like humans breed cattle. It is a cool concept and well written.
Michael Vischi
The second book in The Hunger series. The book continues the journey of Miriam Blaylock, and is equally compelling and well written! I'm not sure what Mr. Whitley learned in between the time he wrote the first book, and this second book, but he puts those skills to such an amazingly good use this time around. And although this second novel might shift gears a bit from the first, it certainly takes the story in a welcome direction, and is very thought provoking. Once again I would absolutely reco ...more
Debbie Scott
Truly an original, sexy vampire story . . . not for the faint of heart.
Rowan
Oct 30, 2009 Rowan added it
A good continuation of The Hunger. Miriam is one strange vampire.
Fiona Shacklehack
Couldn't wait to read it after the first one, but what an anti-climax heh! It's an unworthy sequel. Sad inconsistencies (just why? the background of our vampire differs A LOT from the first novel!) and bodysnatched characters (who were interesting and somewhat likable in the first novel, but in the follow up no such luck ... they do things which are very out of character and are incomprehensible) and a crazy plot which turns around 180 degrees in a very unlikely way. The description of events is ...more
Mari
I'm reminded why I like Streiber's previous story, The Hunger, in movie form rather than book form. There is an attempt to make this story passionate - but it lacks the texture, full-bodied desire, and emotion of Anne Rice or Laurell K Hamilton. There is also the intellectual argument that some vampire writers delve into that seeks to explain what the vampires would be doing all this time "controlling" or even breeding their "food supply".

In this regard I recommend the long out-of-print book by
Bill Golden
The Last Vampire is sort-of a sequel to The Hunger set 20 years later. It follows the vampire, Miriam Blaylock, as she tries to conceive a child with another of her kind, and a CIA vampire hunter, Paul Ward, who's not all that he seems.

The concepts set forth by the book are rather daring. This isn't some teenager's Twilight romance garbage, but an actual mature look at vampires as something other than undead.

The pacing, however, is horribly uneven. Strieber opens with guns blazing, slows the act
Sheba
Strieber's no-words-wasted dialogue and his exchanges between characters should be lesson plans on how to write believable characters talking, particularly in the first halves of his books. By the second halves, though, things begin to slow down, including the previously swift dialogue, and the storyline unravels a bit too much into precocious territory. His endings--at least in this series--just don't succeed the story's promises and left me with a lot more hunh's than wow's. There's also a nig ...more
Ellen
May 24, 2014 Ellen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kate T.

For starters, I was thrilled by the idea of a sequel to The Hunger. The mythology of the story is fascinating, with vampires as their own species rather than undead humans. That being said, what the heck did they do with Strieber and who the heck wrote this book? All the back stories of Miriam's have been changed completely! The new ideas aren't even as good as the original ones. It makes no sense. That alone killed the book for me. Although not a bad read, the incongruities really hurt my over
Serenity Ontario
I am sure Whitley isn't a bad writer this book just went no where.I couldn't finish it."
Nikki
While I've enjoyed other books by this author, I couldn't get into this one. The plot was rather weak and far slower than his other books. I enjoyed how fleshed out Miriam Blaylock is as a character, though she wasn't likeable enough to me to pull off being the main character. This isn't the first book with her and is the sequel to "The Hunger". I thoroughly enjoyed "The Hunger" as a movie, though was unable to make it through the novel of the same name.
Alison
Perhaps I was at a disadvantage having picked the second installment up randomly from the library bookshelf before having read The Hunger. The first quarter of the book was good and from there it lost me in that I didn't feel invested in any of the characters and what may or may not happen to them. It just wasn't the right match for my reading preference.
Cindi
Took me a while to get into this book but it did finally pick up. I thought I knew how it was going to end, but I was wrong. Author left it open for yet a third in the series and, after a little research, looks like he wrote one, Lilith's Dream. I'm sure I'll read that, too, to see how things wrap up.
Ad
It was better then Prince Lestat lol
Jmagicpdx
Terrible sequel, the author obviously went crazy with all of his alien drivel between writing the original and then the sequel. The story makes little sense, and the characters are unlike what they were in the original. Don't waste your time.
Cindy
Jun 10, 2009 Cindy is currently reading it
We will see if this is as crazy and weird as Whitley's other books.....of course, I like crazy and weird. So if it works out that way I should enjoy the book!! :)
Jessica Pitingolo
Part way through and honestly one of the worst books I have ever read but I have a rule once I start something.... darn.
  • Children of the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #2)
  • The Vampire Vivienne
  • Wounds
  • Vampire Thrall (Vampires, #2)
  • Live Girls
  • Mina
  • The Girls with Games of Blood
  • Vampyrrhic
  • Crimson Night (Crimson #2)
  • Blood Bank (Vicki Nelson #6)
  • The Blind Mirror
  • 23 Hours (Laura Caxton, #4)
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 9: Beyond Barrow
  • The Vampire de Sade (Marquis de Sade, #5)
  • Of Saints and Shadows (Shadow Saga #1)
  • Writ in Blood (Serenity Falls, #1)
  • Coven
  • The Dead Travel Fast: Stalking Vampires from Nosferatu to Count Chocula
American writer best known for his horror novels The Wolfen and The Hunger and for Communion, a non-fiction description of his experiences with apparent alien contact. He has recently made significant advances in understanding this phenomenon, and has published his new discoveries in Solving the Communion Enigma.

Strieber also co-authored The Coming Global Superstorm with Art Bell, which inspired t
More about Whitley Strieber...

Hunger (3 books)
  • The Hunger (Hunger, #1)
  • Lilith's Dream (Hunger, #3)
The Wolfen Communion: A True Story The Hunger (Hunger, #1) Warday 2012: The War For Souls