Start by marking “The Poseidon Adventure CD” as Want to Read:
The Poseidon Adventure CD

The Poseidon Adventure CD

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  6,598 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
The inspiration for the 2006 Warner Bros. film, Poseidon, Paul Gallico's The Poseidon Adventure is an intense and dramatic story about a gigantic ocean liner and its unimaginable final journey.

When a rogue wave capsizes the luxury cruise ship, a small group of survivors find themselves unlikely allies in a battle for their lives. As the unstable vessel rapidly fills with w
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published April 11th 2006 by HarperAudio (first published January 1st 1969)

Melki
May 14, 2011 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw the movie with my friend Linda, and an obsession was born.

We played "Poseidon Adventure" with our Barbies. We played "Poseidon Adventure" with the Deitch boys from across the street. (Even though they had not seen the film, in our crazed madness, we forced them to play all the male roles.) I even saw the movie en espanol on a trip to Spain. (Didn't understand a word of it. Didn't matter. I had it memorized.)

My dad, never one to miss an opportunity for education, came home with a presen
Matt
Aug 11, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Normally, I don't mind when a book is turned into a movie. A movie, even a bad one, usually brings a book a much wider audience. For instance, I was enticed to read All the King's Men by seeing the trailer for the Steven Zaillian-directed remake. The book is now among my favorite novels of all time; the movie is crap (I've never seen the original movie).

I will make an exception for Poseidon, which is among the stinkiest pieces of garbage I've ever had the misfortune of sitting through in the th
K.D. Absolutely
Afloat North Atlantic, SS Poseidon turned upside down because of tsunami due to undersea earthquake. Unlike RMS Titanic, the story of SS Poseidon is fiction and managed to inspire only 4 movie adaptations unlike the former that inspired 20 movies both in TV or wide screen. In fact, when American novelist Paul Gallico (July 26, 1897 – July 15, 1976) released The Poseidon Adventure in 1969, it did not generate much interest as it was seen as a lame version of the RMS Titanic story.

But I liked the
Donna
Apr 15, 2010 Donna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, adventure
Most are probably familiar with this story about a group of people in an upside-down cruise ship thanks to the classic adventure movie that's based on it. The book is more salacious and brutal than its famous film adaptation.

There's a heavy focus on the thoughts and discussions of the characters, sometimes at the expense of what's actually happening on the ship - I had to re-read more than one action scene to understand what was going on. This would have been more acceptable to me if the themes
Debby
Feb 13, 2011 Debby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Until just a few weeks ago my only exposure to The Poseidon Adventure was the film made in the early 1970's. When I discovered that it was first a book by Paul Gallico, I knew I had to read it. I'm one who prefers to read the book first and then see the movie. Having done it in reverse order this time, I was interested to see how much the film held to or diverted from the book.

The Poseidon Adventure is the story of a huge cruise/cargo ship that is full of passengers on a 30-day cruise taken over
Neal Shusterman
Okay... confession here... When I was 11, my father took me to see the original Poseidon Adventure at the Beekman theater in Manhattan. I loved it. I was obsessed with it. I think that perhaps my adult fascination with cruise ships was strongly influenced by it. The idea of a cruise ship turning upside down was so damn surreal, terrifying and compelling creatively, I couldn’t get it out of my mind as a kid. Back when I was twelve, I read the novel, and loved it. So just last year I found a copy ...more
Lemlee
Oct 11, 2012 Lemlee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A genuinely bad book. Loaded with sexism, obnoxious characters that you dont even care about, and a really stupid bit where a woman is raped and seems oddly okay with it.
Christopher
It's kind of a sick fascination to be so awed by what is, by most estimations, pretty much a text-book definition of a "cheap thriller". I make no bones about it, forget the movie(s): this book is a terrific page-turner of a cheapie, but Graham Greene it aint'. That one author could produce both "The Snow Goose" and "The Poseidon Adventure" says much about Gallico's versatility, and not a little about the fallacy of classifying authors by genre.

Why do I like it? I saw the film first; or rather,
Andy
Jan 13, 2015 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Sometimes we have to make allowances for older books and movies and TV shows, because it's not fair to judge them by contemporary values. Still, some parts of The Poseidon Adventure are hard to take.

There's the cop's selfish, racist, shrewish wife, who sometimes "needs" a good slap. Not only in the opinion of her husband, but also in the opinion of the other survivors and even the narrator.

There's the rape. Not that it happens, but the victim's reaction to it. Ye gads.

There's the need for all of
Mel Campbell
Paul Gallico was 72 when this book was originally published. He'd lived through the golden age of ocean liner travel, and this is a profoundly cynical story about the vulgar, undignified end of an era.

As I was reading, I was thinking about how deeply unpleasant all the characters were. The women come out of it worst, and all seem pathetically dependent on men. If they're not dumb bimbos, self-effacing doormats or dreadful shrews they're silly teenagers, dried-up spinsters or fat old women. But t
Feliks
Jun 21, 2012 Feliks rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-thrillers
One of the biggest one-two punches you could ask for, to close out the 1960s. There was nothing like this property. Nothing like it since 'The Rains Came' and 'The Hurricane'. Book AND movie! Unique. Visionary. The one every other project subsequently, copied.

One of those instances where the adaptation swaps in and out with the book. Each complementing the other. The whole experience has a surreal and disorienting quality. In the book, crazy chapter headings like, 'Up the Down Staircase' and 'To
Wissam
Jun 23, 2015 Wissam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book its interestin they route from New York City to Greece on New Year's Eve, majestic passenger ship the S.S. Poseidon is overtaken by a tidal wave. With the captain (Leslie Nielsen) dead, surviving passengers, including the passionate Rev. Scott (Gene Hackman), band together in the ship's ballroom. My brother told me to read it he said its pretty cool its adventure it quite scary I felt that thisis like titanic a big ship gets drawned when the big wave slam it under water ...more
Deidre(Dee) ~ Official Bookworm ~
A very good story of a group of people, who band together, determined to survive, after the ocean liner SS Poseidon capsizes when a rogue wave hits her. The cause-a huge undersea earthquake which turns the ship upside down, making the will for survival, that much harder!
Molly Christensen
Interesting book on human spirit. Many of the people just completely gave up and wouldn't even try when the ship sank, but others were going to do whatever it took to at least give themselves a chance. Way too many dead people for me, though.
David Teska
Feb 15, 2009 David Teska rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first mature novel I read (age 14 or 15 I think). Read the book, then see both movies. The book is much richer and tauter in how the survivors made it out.
Jason Reeser
Sep 21, 2009 Jason Reeser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at this. A far better book than I expected. I had always loved the movie, but now I see why they made the movie. This book is fantastic.
Timothy Boyd
Very good book adaptation of the movie. Recommended
Walter Roper
Jun 04, 2014 Walter Roper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic

A true classic so well know by the iconic 70s film, but the book goes much deeper and explores human behavior and the human heart.
Devyn
Jun 04, 2014 Devyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The most interesting thing in the entire book is the cover.
Chris Gant
Feb 01, 2017 Chris Gant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. The language and characters are dated, but still relatable. The adventure of it moves the story along and some of the characters really stood out by the end. It took over half the book though for them to distinguish themselves from one another. I skimmed quite a bit of this, it seemed to drag on. The conversations at the end seemed like page fillers and I just wanted it to end. The end was unexpected, yet somehow right. It's not a neat, happily ever after ending which made it more re ...more
Michele Calabrese
This book starts out well, but it drags towards the end. The author certainly could have ended it at least a chapter or two earlier (in a rare instance, the film handles the ending better).

My main concern is the entire Susan plotline. The way the author deals with her rape is ...... disturbing. Perhaps I don't understand because I wasn't around when this book was written, but by today's standards I think it would not have gone over well. The whole plotline disturbed me.
Corey
Mar 23, 2017 Corey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A case where the movie is way better than the book!
Marion
Nov 02, 2016 Marion rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really creepy.
weirdpanel
A band of cruise passengers fight for their lives when a freak wave flips the massive liner Poseidon upside down. This is the book behind the Hollywood blockbuster films of 1972 and 2006.

I picked this up hoping for a smart, page-turning tale. There's some of that here, and Gallico's use of the setting is smart and vivid, but the book suffers from having a large ensemble cast rather than a focus on one or two protagonists. The character who stands out most is one of the few whose point of view we
Ashley
Jun 16, 2015 Ashley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
I'll admit it, I actually like both the movies based on this book! So when I saw a copy of it at a library book sale, I thought why not give it a try. That said it was one of the worst books I've ever made myself finish. It is completely dated in the way that the characters interact and especially the way that women and non-WASPs are treated.

The premise of the book is interesting. A luxury cruise liner overturns and a group of survivors decide to work their way to the bottom of the ship (now th
Yuan
For more reviews, please visit my blog Obsessive Compulsive Reader

Obsessive Compulsive Reader

Actual rating: 0.5/5

It was only recently when I visited the local library that I discovered the film "The Poseidon Adventure" was adapted from a 1969 novel of the same name written by Paul Gallico. Given that I was fairly disenchanted with some of the cliched scenarios in the film, I was intrigued to pick the novel up and see whether the usual "book is better than the movie adaptation" mantra h
Jessica Robinson
Kyle
Oct 31, 2014 Kyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember seeing bits of “The Poseidon Adventure” growing up, but I didn’t recall the entire story. I knew the basic premise that a ship capsizes (rolls over) at sea, and a group of passengers attempts to escape by working their way to the top/bottom of the ship. That upside down nature of the story was a little hard for me to visualize. I don’t do well with spatial elements, and even though the author described what the passengers encountered, it was still hard for me to get a clear picture of ...more
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Okay, this book was.... strange. I've watched the classic original movie The Poseidon Adventure several times starring Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine and Shelly Winters. That version of the movie had many of the book's characters and related to the book, but there were still huge differences. They remade the movie Poseiden in 2006 with Josh Lucas, Kurt Russell and Richard Dreyfuss. Other than the fact that the ship was named Poseiden and flipped upside down on New Year's Eve, there isn't much tha ...more
Donald Scott
Apr 03, 2015 Donald Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone seeing the classic Irwin Allen film - which started off the hugely-popular disaster movie craze of the 1970's - knows the basic story of The Poseidon Adventure; ocean liner SS Poseidon, on its maiden voyage, is struck by a 99-foot wave caused by an undersea earthquake that literally turns the boat upside down in the water. Capsized but still floating, those who survived the initial disaster find a strong leader in one of the passengers, Reverend Scott, who wants them all to band together ...more
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in His Adventure on Earth
  • The Tower
  • Beaches
  • Memento
92064
Paul William Gallico was born in New York City, on 26th July, 1897. His father was an Italian, and his mother came from Austria; they emigrated to New York in 1895.

He went to school in the public schools of New York, and in 1916 went to Columbia University. He graduated in 1921 with a Bachelor of Science degree, having lost a year and a half due to World War I. He then worked for the National Boar
More about Paul Gallico...