Start by marking “Pria Cilik Merdeka (Discworld, #30)” as Want to Read:
Pria Cilik Merdeka (Discworld, #30)

Pria Cilik Merdeka (Discworld #30)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  64,962 Ratings  ·  2,770 Reviews
Sebuah Kisah Tentang Dunia Khayal baru

Ada masalah di pertanian keluarga Aching—mimpi-mimpi buruk menyebar turun dari atas bukit.

Dan adik laki-laki Tiffany Aching diculik. Untuk menemukan adiknya kembali, Tiffany melengkapi diri dengan sebuah panci penggorengan, buku mantra milik neneknya (sebetulnya sih buku Penyakit-penyakit Domba)—dan kaum Nac Mac Feegle, para Pria Cilik
Published September 2007 by Penerbit Atria (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Pria Cilik Merdeka, please sign up.

Stacia No. But, if you read The Wee Free Men (love it!) first & want to read the other books with Tiffany Aching, those are best read in this order:
The…more
The Wee Free Men
A Hat Full of Sky
Wintersmith
I Shall Wear Midnight(less)

Patrick
I will never be able to write a book as good as this.

I just finished reading it again. This is probably my third or fourth time.

I love all of Pratchett's books. It's easy to do, as the best of them are utterly excellent, while the worst of them is merely great.

This, I think, might be his best. And I love it for so many reasons. It is diamond beyond price among the other brilliant (but perhaps lesser) diamonds.

Part of me wants to quote parts of it to you. But I won't. Out of context you can't f
Nataliya

I plan to use this book in the future as a strategic "weapon" for introducing my (future, hypothetical) daughter to the world of Terry Pratchett's imagination. Yes, I see it as a 'gateway drug' to fuel addiction to Sir Terry's writing. And that's the addiction I'm happy to perpetuate.
After all, this book introduces Tiffany Aching whom I love to pieces and want to adopt to be my level-headed and practical little sister.

"Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don't understand
Matt
Jul 07, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of dangerous books for boys. I love classic boys literature, whether Dumas's 'Count of Monte Cristo', Kipling's 'Jungle Book', Burroughs 'A Princess of Mars', Tolkien's 'The Hobbit', or Heinlein's juvenile fiction. I love good stories that instruct boys in being adults. I love them for being persistently politically incorrect, not just now but then. I love them because they are stories by people who obviously know boys and know what they need. And, I love them for just being fun a ...more
j
Apr 08, 2011 j rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Terry Pratchett book. If you a looking for a way into his Discworld series (which is, at last count, 1 million books long), you could do worse. It's a totally separate story arc. It's the first of a shorter sub-series, giving you someplace to go if you like it. It's YA, so it goes down easy. It stars a creative, capable heroine and is in no way about her love of boys, which is always refreshing (still, still this is refreshing). And it's funny.

I mean, funny-ish. Funny is so inc
Siria
I really, really wish that I had a younger girl cousin to pass this book onto, because I think it's a perfect antidote for some of the books that are enjoying a vogue right now (*cough* Twilight *cough*). Where the latter feature some downright disturbing gender politics, The Wee Free Men has a heroine who's sensible and smart and capable; a realistic, strong relationship between grandmother and granddaughter; a world where women are bounded by preconceptions and gender roles and fears, but a ...more
Algernon
Dec 24, 2013 Algernon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

Usually, I'm at a loss when it comes to Christmas gifts. I don't like to give articles of clothing and gift cards feel too impersonal. I get by with the occasional bottle of perfume, compilation album or with some silly toy, but this year I think I've stumbled on a real gem: I bought The Wee Free Men because it is by Pratchett and because it says on the back cover the heroine is nine year's old. Turns out is is one of the very best in the whole Discworld catalogue, one of the funniest but also
Cphe
Sep 02, 2016 Cphe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, fantasy, humour, faith, 2016
This was a book club read. I hadn't read anything by Terry Pratchett before and the novel certainly wasn't a genre that I've read a lot in. I enjoyed the world building that the author introduced and the delivery of the story. It was fast paced. I felt at heart that it was an adventure, a story of the "little guy" taking on the "big bad meanie" and triumphing against overwhelming odds. It's a theme that I often look for in the novels I read. In this case it was a nine year old girl called Tiffan ...more
Lightreads
Young sheep farmer's daughter begins training to be the witch of the chalk hills that she loves. She has the help of a lot of six-inch fairies with drinking problems and pointy swords, which is good because there's no school for learning witchery, unless you think of the whole world as the school.

Oh, marvelous. I read the three published books straight through everywhere I went, and I know I disturbed people by standing there beaming in the elevator. There may also have been bouncing.

These books
Jo
OK, I’m going to start this review with some maths. No! Wait, don’t go. It’s going to be YA style maths and, well, it’s me… so it’ll be dead easy.
Though before we begin, you can leave your payment in the basket just over there. Not vegetables. I want chocolate. Not got any? No worries…I’ll wait until you come back from the paper shop*.
Back?
Right:

Hermione Granger + Mildred Hubble + Matilda Wormwood = Tiffany Aching.

I’m almost tempted to just leave this review at that because, honestly, if you’re
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my LOCUS Y-A list.

I think I’ll always have a soft-spot for imaginative young-adult speculative fiction and as the good people at Locus did such a grand job with picking their Sci-Fi winners, I’ll trust them to single out some special y-a books too.

A toast from
Gavin
Apr 06, 2015 Gavin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-books, historical
It is a just a tiny review for this one as sadly I did not enjoy my first try of one of Terry Pratchett's books. I did not gel with the writing style. The style was actually quite similar to that of Neil Gaiman's books and so unsurprisingly I had the same issues. The story itself was too ridiculous to take seriously and I felt like the characters were just inconsequential mouthpieces for the author to crack some jokes and offer a few witty insights on society. Now admittedly I liked the general ...more
TheBookSmugglers
I will start this post with another Old School Wednesdays’ confession: I only ever read one Terry Pratchett novel, Good Omens ages ago and that was only because he wrote that in collaboration with Neil Gaiman.

I know what you’re thinking right now: “CRIVENS! I can’t believe you haven’t read any Terry Pratchett till now, Ana.”

I KNOW, right? Anyway, the real problem with this course of action was of course, WHERE to start, given as how Pratchett has over 40 novels in the Discworld series alone. I h
Steven Harbin
I’m presently about half way through reading this marvelous little book. People have been recommending Mr. Pratchett’s work to me for years, and I must say that I’m sorry I took so long to finally start one of his books. I did read Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch a while back, which he co-authored with Neil Gaiman, and that book was excellent, but I was going through my NG phase at the time, and moved on to several of Gaiman’s books after reading GO. In retrosp ...more
Paul
Sep 02, 2016 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Previously a 4 star but upped it on a reread due to realising its true brilliance. Nac Mac feegle are a great concept and so well done. All around great fun .
And Tiffany is just great. A confident and hard working young girl who does difficult things because someone has to. Inspirational and a much better book role model than a lot of the simpering lovelorn idiots peppered throughout YA fiction.
Show Tiffany a glittery vampire she will most likely knock it out cold with her trusty frying pan bef
Wastrel
One of Pratchett's best-written novels so far: very precisely polished for the most part, and beautiful, elegaic flashbacks.
That polish is the novel's flaw as well as its virtue: it felt too controlled, too avuncular, and too simplistic. And for someone re-reading the entire cycle, rather than using this as a starting point, it felt rather too familiar, both in general outline and in terms of the number of recycled jokes.

Having said that, it was good enough to make me want to read the other Tiff
Beverly
Mar 02, 2008 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beverly by: Kim
From the review on my blog:
Pratchett takes all sorts of fairy tales and children's stories--including one of my faves, Peter Pan--and mashes them into his own tale about Tiffany, a nine-year-old witch in training. Tiffany is gutsy, smart (she's got First Sight and Second Thoughts; I need to develop both myself!), and ethical. In the same way I wanted to be Jo March when I first read Little Women, I can imagine any girl selecting Tiffany as a role model.

Pratchett never writes down to his reader;
Hazal Çamur
Apr 24, 2016 Hazal Çamur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pratchett'ın Tiffany Sızı'sı tüm o basit ve çocuksu görünümünün ardında fazlasıyla derin bir eser. Bu eserdeki gerek Britanya tarihi göndermeleri, gerek hukuk ve adalet kavramlarına olan yaklaşım ve gerekse başarılı feminizm eşine az rastlanır türden. Feminizm kısmı özellikle önemli, çünkü Pratchett edebiyattaki eksik noktaları iyi biçimde tespit etmiş ve feminizmin ne olduğunun da, pek çok kişinin aksine, tüm yönleriyle kavramış. Özgünlüğüne zaten değinmeye gerek yok, çünkü bu bir Terry Pratche ...more
Anna
How can something be so funny, and at the same time so serious and deep? The whole story and Tiffany herself. She is so earnest, never surprised by the oddest things - wee free men popping up, witches and monsters appearing, the world needing to be saved…she takes all that in her stride. She questions things other people, even adults, take on face value, and she THINKS. About things in general, and also about her own thoughts and reactions.

“Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up th
Minli
“Yes,” said a voice, and Tiffany realized that it was hers again. The anger rose up, joyfully. “Yes! I’m me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don’t understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That’s the kind of person I am!”

Tiffany Aching is flipping awesome. The witches are awesome. Terry Pratchett is awesome. And cheese is awesome.

I have to say, with a world as vast as Dis
Trelawn
Closer to 3.5 stars. I really liked the characters. Tiffany is a really likeable character, not too perfect but not stupid either. I could read about the Nac Mac Feegle all day long. They are hilarious and brave and a little mad. The story itself didn't grab me. The two or three chapters towards the end with the Queen just dragged a little. That said, there is more than enough here for me to keep going with the series and find out what else Tiffany gets up to.
Ron
Apr 05, 2016 Ron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A me Terry Pratchett non piace proprio.
Ho letto "Il colore della magia" trascinandomi fino alla fine. Pensavo che fosse solo questione di romanzo sbagliato al momento sbagliato ma, dopo aver letto la storia dell'intrepida Tiffany, credo che Terry Pratchett non faccia proprio al caso mio. L'autore ha tantissima fantasia, mi pare di capire, e da quello che ho letto si nota eccome, eppure non riesce proprio a colpirmi, e nemmeno a tenere alta la mia attenzione, anche se, di fatto, le sue storie non
Lindsay
Aug 17, 2016 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is from my latest "read" of this beloved book, this time by listening to the abridged audio recording narrated by Tony Robinson. I have previously listened to the unabridged audio narrated by Stephen Briggs and I have read the text editions at least twice.

It is, of course, brilliant. In my opinion, the Tiffany Aching books are the pinnacle of a long career. In this one we meet Tiffany at 9 years old as she begins the path of a witch as she deals with that and her deep grief for her g
Jessica
Mar 22, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Or, should I say, Crivens! I love Terry Pratchett's work, and his latest endeavors into Takes-Place-On-Discworld-But-Isn't-A-Discworld-Novels are, if possible, even better than just your standard Discworld novels. If you could ever have a 'standard' Discworld novel...

Premise: A 9 year old proto-witch's little brother gets stolen by the evil Queen (or quin) of the Faeries. (what is with all the books with evil fae in them lately!). She has the makings of a powerful witch someday, but r
Nicole
Mar 26, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: julia Andersen, Werner, all Harry Potter fans, & fantasy readers with daughters
A truly delightful book. Funny and wise, irreverent and touching, philosophical and lovely. In other words, classic Terry Pratchett.
Definitely NOT exclusively a kids' book just because the main character is 9 years old. But it would be lots of fun to read this aloud to a child of any age.
Tiffany is a worthy addition to the Discworld cast of witches, another of Pratchett's wonderfully 3-dimensional female characters. I look forward to reading about her further adventures.
I'd seen the Wee Free
Knigoqdec
Apr 09, 2016 Knigoqdec rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Аз скришом прочетох тази книга, преди да я подаря...
Дааа, за да видя дали съм избрала правилно, точно заради това беше xD
Шегувам се... донякъде.
Просто няма как да пропусна Пратчет, щом ми е в ръцете.
Най-първата ми истинска среща с Пратчет беше с книга от серията за Тифани Сболки, на която за първи път й научих името. Както обикновено става, заради хитроумната забележка, че е по-добре да е Сболки, отколкото БЕЗболки... чак тогава забелязах, че не е СболСКи xD.
Това, че първата ми книга от Пратчет
Cherie
That was such a great story! So full of unexpected characters and happenings. I loved the Wee Free Men!

Even better than reading it, was listening to Stephen Briggs. Fantastic.
Qt
Mar 07, 2009 Qt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy
Other Discworld books grabbed my attention a little sooner, but I still enjoyed this one. The parts on life and philosophy are always thought-provoking.
Myles
Dec 23, 2010 Myles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of books for young readers that claim to encourage "girl power" and provide girls with a heroine that they can really be proud of. But Harriets and Matildas and Pippis are rarer today then they were 30 years ago, a trend that is disturbing the more one thinks about it. Most of these 'empowering' books end up perpetuating the old archetypes and rarely can these heroines accomplish anything alone.

Terry Pratchett with Tiffany Aching spins the headology he coined for Esme Weatherwax
Althea Ann
Mar 06, 2013 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was marketed as a Discworld novel for 'younger readers,' but I
found the story and style to be no more (or less) juvenile than that
of any of Pratchett's other books. It's the 30th Discworld book, and
the first to feature the character Tiffany Aching (although i was
already familiar with her from reading 'Wintersmith' - I've never
tried to read Pratchett in order.)
Nine-year-old Tiffany's baby brother is kidnapped by the Queen of the
Elves - an antagonist who spreads winter where ever she goes. Th
Carly
If you haven't read Terry Pratchett, you're missing out--he's one of the most humorous, creative, and profound fantasy writers I've come across. This book is a nice, self-contained story about a young girl, Tiffany Aching, who lives out in the countryside in Pratchett's fantasy world, the Discworld. The story itself is about faeries, but not exactly twinkly sparkly happy faeries.
Tiffany Aching is intensely curious and loves to both think and question everything around her, including the simple
Around the Year i...: The Wee Free Men, by Terry Pratchett 7 19 Sep 18, 2016 02:46PM
Accents 49 283 Jul 19, 2016 06:02PM
Goodreads Librari...: Editions of Terry Pratchett's The Wee Free Men 6 172 Jul 13, 2016 11:08PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 26 The Wee Free Men 1 1 Apr 06, 2015 06:21AM
  • Drowned Ammet (The Dalemark Quartet, #2)
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • Paladin of Souls (World of the Five Gods, #3)
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • The Witches of Chiswick
  • The New Policeman (New Policeman, #1)
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • The Changeover

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

“If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.” 991 likes
“Witches are naturally nosy,” said Miss Tick, standing up. “Well, I must go. I hope we shall meet again. I will give you some free advice, though.”
“Will it cost me anything?”
“What? I just said it was free!” said Miss Tick.
“Yes, but my father said that free advice often turns out to be expensive,” said Tiffany.
Miss Tick sniffed. “You could say this advice is priceless,” she said, “Are you listening?”
“Yes,” said Tiffany.
“Good. Now...if you trust in yourself...”
“Yes?”
“...and believe in your dreams...”
“Yes?”
“...and follow your star...” Miss Tick went on.
“Yes?”
“...you’ll still be beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy. Goodbye.”
480 likes