Start by marking “Vince” as Want to Read:

Vince

Loser. Outcast. Freak. At seventeen, the names no longer hurt Vince Sanford. He's different from others at his school and always has been -- the pep rallies, school dances, name-brand clothes and football games and fifth quarter parties, none of that interests him anymore.

There was a time when he did fit in, when his best friend had been Eric Somers, the most popular boy i
Published November 6th 2003 by Lulu.com

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Nov 30, 2016
    Gay Romance

SIGNED BY AUTHOR!

This giveaway is for 1 PROOF copy of the book. It is identical to the published paperback except that the last blank page

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 1 copy available, 11 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 06 - Dec 31, 2016

Countries available: US

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Vince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vince

MsMiz (Tina)
    Dec 20, 2010 MsMiz (Tina) rated it really liked it
    Recommends it for: Mel
    Shelves: glbt-all, pdf
    Vince and Eric have been friends from birth. Early in their teens, Vince realizes two things - he is gay and he is in love with Eric. As you can imagine with most teens, when Vince bares his soul to Eric, Eric did not react the way Vince had envisioned. This colored both of their high school lives and relationships as they both went their separate ways.

Vince's pain and anger was so deep and real in this book - it was honestly hard to read. At one point I thought it was too over the top, with th
    Kim
    Nov 07, 2010 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-in-2010, ebook
    Yes, spoilers. I warned, and you do whatever you feel like doing with that little piece of information.

Vince and Eric were best friends when they were kids, and when they were fourteen, Vince admitted to Eric he's in love with him. His friend laughed in his face. In Eric's defense: if my best friend confessed to being in love with me at that age, I'm not sure my reaction would have been much better. I didn't even know the meaning of the word 'love' and let's be honest: how many kids that age are
    Mel
    Oct 18, 2010 Mel rated it it was amazing
    Can’t you see the way I’m hurting inside? What will it take to make you feel it too? This hurt, this pain, this hate ?

Vince is a social outcast. He looks different, he acts different and he thinks differently from the people around him. And he has no friends. Not since he was 14, when his best friend in the world, Eric, betrayed him. Now Eric wants back in his life and the lonely but safe cocoon Vince has made for himself is in danger of breaking. But Vince is desperate to hold on to it.

This wa
    ☆ Todd
    Jul 29, 2013 ☆ Todd rated it really liked it
    Wow, I need to read something really light after this one. Talk about feeling completely wrung out. This story's definitey not for the faint of heart.

The majority of the book is a description of the sadistic shit that Vince pictures doing to Eric to make him hurt as bad as Vince has hurt inside since his confession of love to Eric goes about as wrong as can possibly be imagined four years earlier.

Part of me just wanted to hug Vince really close until he cried it all out and finally, finally let
    Ryes
    May 01, 2008 Ryes rated it really liked it
    Vince is a very different read from what I am used to. It's one of Snyder's darkest novels.

Vince, the main character, is somewhat of a social outcast, but that's a choice that he's made for himself. Because of a memory from his past, he doesn't form close relationships with anyone and generally likes to keep to himself. He doesn't even feel a connection to his family. Vince is a very realistic and relatable character. However, he also has a lot of dark sexual fantasies born from the fact that
    Elisa Rolle
    Another story with teen characters by J.M. Snyder. Vince and Eric were best friends. But when a guy begins to become a man, at 14 years old, then Vince discovers that his feelings for Eric are not of friendship. He is in love with his pal and he dreams the love is mutual. And he is careless and daring and he declares his love expecting to be declared back... but Eric laughs, true, it was an histerical laught, but a 14 years old guy is frail, and easily scared, and for Vince is like a stab in the ...more
    Emanuela ~plastic duck~
    Nov 23, 2012 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it really liked it
    This author can write about situations that can become unpleasant, but they also ring quite real.

Vince is 17 and is all darkness. He's ex-best friend and the focus of Vince's hate/love is Eric, who's all light in looks and attitude. When they were 14, Vince confessed Eric he loved him and Eric laughed in his face. From that moment on their friendship is shattered, Vince never comes close to Eric again, until a faithful night when they meet behind an alley and they start to reconnect. It's Eric w
    Arthur
    Jul 16, 2011 Arthur rated it liked it
    Vince and Eric were best friends since they were very young. When they were around 14, Vince professed his love to Eric. Stunned, Eric just laughed. Vince was hurt, and became goth. Their lives drifted apart. A meeting in the street at night during their senior years (when they both were doing chores) was their first contact in more than three years. Eric tried to amend their relationship, but Vince kept rejecting him. Despite him still loves Eric. This kept happening for more than a year, with ...more
    Rachel
    Dec 28, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok
    Shelves: angst, mm, creepy, teen-fiction
    This was a book of two halves - I liked the first half, and found the second creepy, as Vince met up with his childhood sweetheart gone wrong (part 1) and struggled with violent feelings against him (part 2).
    Ami
    Jan 30, 2010 Ami rated it really liked it
    Oh, wow, this must be the darkest story from J.M. Snyder that I read so far. Vince is so full of anger and hatred due to the pain that he feels after what Eric did to him (laughed at Vince when the age of 14 years old, Vince told Eric that he loved that best friend of him). I often find myself worry with what he thinks of Eric (the numorous things he wants to do to make Eric feel hurt and in pain). But at the same time, I know that Vince only thinks that due to the pain. Eric on the oth
    Dee
    Oct 23, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it
    3.5 stars rounded up

Firstly, I should mention that I actually dislike present tense first person writing (and still do, and indeed did here). However this was a powerfully written piece of fiction so I decided to give it a stronger rating to reflect that. Some might be disturbed by Vince's intensely violent sexual fantasies but I thought they truly captured the passionate nature of teenage emotions. The vacillation between hate and love, brutality and tenderness, these to me spoke believably of
    Kassandra
    May 26, 2011 Kassandra rated it did not like it
    Shelves: boring
    This book turned out to be a disappointment for me. It started out pretty good. I was interested in Vince's thought process. I wasn't bothered by the "darkness" at all. In fact, perhaps that is what made the mood of the book interesting for me. About half way through the book it got really difficult for me to read. I was tired of hearing about Vince's depressed moods. I was tired of reading Vince's ongoing monologue of obsession. I wanted to read action. I wanted him to do something about how he ...more
    Becky
    Jan 11, 2010 Becky rated it it was ok
    It certainly isn't what I thought it was going to be... I'm enjoying it so far!! I'm not really in to the "erotic" romance novels gay or straight so we'll see how this goes!

Okay... now I'm finished... Let me first say that I loved the story. The "erotic" portions weren't overly done (no sex scenes) which I appreciated. The writing was fantastic, especially for it just being a proof - I think I only found two gramatical errors. Maybe there were more but I was more focused on the character - the c
    Lucia
    May 23, 2014 Lucia rated it really liked it
    Shelves: m-m
    3.5 I liked the storyline - 2 best friends who grew up together, one falls in love with the other, then they go their separate ways in high school: one becomes a popular football player & the other becomes a loner with no friends.

What I didn't like was (view spoiler)
    Emma Louise
    Nov 24, 2010 Emma Louise rated it really liked it
    Shelves: bought
    This was an unexpected little gem. It just goes to show that the better books are little self-published diamonds like these. It baffles me how shit like the House of Night series can get massive publishing contracts, yet fantastic and emotional books like these are rare and unique finds.

Makes me truly appreciate the internet and this website for else I would have never found it.

Go buy it, just do it. It's hard to be disappointed.

I honestly like how the book was split into two parts, and yet bot
    Nerine Petros
    Nov 30, 2010 Nerine Petros rated it liked it
    Lauraadriana
    Nov 15, 2011 Lauraadriana rated it liked it
    Wow...So much pain. So much anger. At 17, that is Vince's whole world. He was hurt so badly by the one person who he loved the most. Eric his best friend, betrayed him, cut him deep. And now all Vince can see is red rage, but Eric wants back in his life. He bides his time and slowly works on thawing out the ice he put around Vince's heart.

This story is very dark and Vince's fantasies regarding Eric at times went too far for me. But it was an emitional read with an heartfelt reckoning.
    Kiara
    Jun 06, 2015 Kiara rated it really liked it
    Shelves: m-m-contemporary
    An angry coming of age, a belivable voice speaking of teen years and love, without, amazingly, focus perforce on its phisical aspect. A star less for some repetition, which in part transmit the obsessive thoughts of the protagonist and his struggle, but, ultimately, feels redundant.
    Higly recommended !
    Camilla
    Mar 26, 2011 Camilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: kindle

I thought this was a very interesting story.. I relly liked Vince, and all his thoughts.. Even the brutal ones.. I could feel how hurt he was, and how much he really wanted to hate Eric.. His best friend who hurt him so much when they were younger..

I really liked it, and I think the author wrote a perfect "leave them wanting more" ending to this book..
    Fani
    Started really well, but by the middle of the book I ended up disliking the main hero, and by the end of it, I was hating him with a vengeance. He held on to his grudge without any serious justification, and all his thoughts of violence towards Eric, were a major turn-off for me.

Lexi Ander
    Jul 17, 2010 Lexi Ander rated it really liked it
    Wow! This was an very emotional read. Vince's emotional visions are down right scary and I loved every minute of it. Love and betrayel, how does one get past it when the aftermath is what creates who you are? When the wound it causes festers and never heals?
    Eyre
    Nov 11, 2013 Eyre rated it liked it
    Shelves: romance, lgbtqia
    This was a hard story to read. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. Vince's anger and his pain are so real, and that's what made it difficult for me. I would love to see how this relationship grows.
    Anastasiya
    Feb 16, 2015 Anastasiya rated it liked it
    You better believe me when I say it's a mindfck.

Intense. Disturbing.
    Captivating. Powerful.

I felt sick, and exhilarated.
    It makes my brain hurt.

WTF'edness indeed.
    Chris
    Sep 19, 2010 Chris rated it liked it
    Shelves: ya, gay, done, 2010, fiction, owned, ebook
    Pretty good young adult m/m story about two guys who've been best friends since they were little... until, when they're 14, one confesses he's in love with the other and gets laughter in return.
    Kari Gregg
    Feb 02, 2010 Kari Gregg rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: glbt
    I loved this one from J.M. Snyder, but Vince's nigh constant bloody & violent revenge fantasies grew tiring. He's hurt and angry. I get it already. Otherwise, a stellar story.
    Flor
    Flor rated it really liked it
    Jun 21, 2012
    Dana
    Dana rated it liked it
    Aug 10, 2012
    Frank Claudy
    Frank Claudy rated it really liked it
    Nov 07, 2016
    Betryal
    Betryal rated it really liked it
    Oct 03, 2009
    J.M.
    Jun 24, 2009 J.M. rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
    This is my book so I'm not going to write a review.
    « previous 1 3 4 next »
    • Freeman
    • What Hides Inside (Bay City Paranormal Investigations, #2)
    • Tabula Rasa
    • Jumbo
    • Best Gay Romance 2008
    • By That Sin Fell the Angels
    • Bleeding Hearts (Killian Kendall, #1)
    • Evolution (Masks #2)
    • By the Creek
    • Rounding Third
    • Puppy Love 2: Building a Family (Puppy Love #2)
    • After The Fall
    • The Benefit of Ductwork
    • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
    • Orientation
    • Daybreak (Eight Nights #2)
    • Best Gay Erotica 2014
    • Listening To Dust
    An author of gay erotic/romantic fiction, J.M. Snyder began in self-publishing and worked with Amber Allure, Aspen Mountain, eXcessica, and Torquere Presses.

Snyder's highly erotic short gay fiction has been published online at Amazon Shorts, Eros Monthly, Ruthie's Club, and Tit-Elation, as well as in anthologies by Alyson Books, Aspen Mountain, Cleis Press, eXcessica Publishing, Lethe Press, and R
    More about J.M. Snyder...