Start by marking “The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1 (The Astounding Wolf-Man, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1 (The Astounding Wolf-Man, #1)

The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1 (The Astounding Wolf-Man #1)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  533 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
When Gary Hampton is mauled and left for dead, his life takes a drastic turn! Gary is cursed --when the moon is full he transforms into a beast of the night -- a werewolf! This curse will not be used for evil -- witness the birth of the world's most unlikely new superhero -- The Astounding Wolf-Man!
Published July 1st 2008 by Image Comics (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1

Kris43
May 30, 2013 Kris43 rated it liked it
This is a blend between supernatural horror(ish) and superhero genre.
It is a quick, fast paced and fun read, just not particularly deep or complex.

One day this dude goes on a trip in wilderness and gets mauled by what they suspect is a bear.
He is left in critical condition, just waiting to die.
Turns out it was not a bear, but a werewolf.
The dude makes a complete recovery and starts learning how to control his inner beast.

Now for the bad parts:

The whole blend of genres works out mostly fine,
Leo
Dec 17, 2015 Leo rated it it was ok
End of the year revision: this is more of a two stars= it was ok. You can go on on living without reading it.
Matti Karjalainen
Hamptonin perheen lomaretki Wyomingin leirintäalueella saa ikävän lopun kun liikemiehenä työskentelevän isäpappa-Garyn raatelee suurpeto, jota epäillään yleisesti karhuksi. Seuraavan täydenkuun aikana käy ilmi, että pedon hyökkäyksellä on muitakin vaikutuksia kuin sairaalareissu...

Robert Kirkmanin, mestarillisen "The Walking Dead" -kauhusarjakuvan käsikirjoittaman luoman "The Astounding Wolfmanin"(Image, 2010) alkumetrit ovat kuin mistä tahansa perinteisestä ihmissusimyyttiä käsittelevästä kauhu
Tom Troutman
Tom Troutman rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2014
Erik
May 29, 2009 Erik rated it liked it
Kirkman just may be the most prolific writer in the comics medium today. If not penning the exploits of Rick and his fellow survivors of a zombie holocaust in The Walking Dead, he also manages to put out several other superhero titles – the newest of which is The Astounding Wolf-Man. Although the premise is intriguing enough – man mysteriously bitten and transformed into the titular hirsute creature – there are a number of plot and art elements that jar my ability to suspend my disbelief. First, ...more
Zane
Mar 18, 2009 Zane rated it liked it
Wolf-men are hard to translate into comics. There was that Swamp Thing one shot about the menstruating wolf-woman that was pretty tight (actually probably the most interesting attempts of that era to address Adrian Rich style alienation through the horror comics medium, also probably the only one). There were some old school wolf-man stories in some EC comics, like 'Vault of Horror' vol. 1 where the guy thinks he is a wolf man but then... Well, I won't ruin it.

The other take is the wolf-man bec
Jason Bloom
A rich guy gets the powers of a werewolf and becomes a superhero. DONE.
Although promising, I would recommend Invincible and The Walking Dead as Kirkman's superior works WELL ahead of this one. The first volume was okay, but I am probably not going to go search out the rest. Good plot twists though; that Kirkman is one f-ed up dude. In a good way.
Trent
Jul 22, 2011 Trent rated it it was amazing
This is the page for volume 1 of the trade edition, but I'd like to recommend this series as a whole.

The thing I love about this story is its characters. They are very believable and organic. They change and cause change. They're dynamic and portrayed in such a way that you have to love even the antagonists (or at least sympathize with them). When I think of Mecha Maid's introduction, all I can think of is how perfectly that one page did her justice as a character and how much it told me about h
Stacy Fetters
Aug 21, 2015 Stacy Fetters rated it it was ok
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Great concept with so-so art. Just didn't appeal to me like a true horror/superhero comic usually does.
Everyone thinks Kirkman is the greatest comic writer of our time, my opinion is that hes mediocre with a side of asshole.
I think if the writing was better it would of been a smidge more likable.
Nicolas Ronvel
Aug 23, 2010 Nicolas Ronvel rated it liked it
Shelves: english, comics
Une bonne lecture de comics, avec un personnage original. Le dessin colle parfaitement à l'histoire, et les personnages sont très intéressants à suivre. L'histoire, sous des atours classiques, arrive rapidement à sortir des sentiers battus, et la spirale infernale qui se forme autour du héros va crescendo jusqu'à la dernière page.

En plus d'une histoire intéressante, le TPB propose une introduction très intéressante de Robert Kirkman, expliquant les origines du projet. Les dernières pages, elles,
Tom Malinowski
Dec 08, 2015 Tom Malinowski rated it it was amazing
Gary Hampton has been bitten by a werewolf. His family life goes through ups and downs, he's befriended by a vampire who trains him and may not be telling the whole truth, and Gary encounters other werewolves and other super-heroes. Not bad.
Jukka Kuva
Feb 12, 2013 Jukka Kuva rated it really liked it
The Astounding Wolf-Man is a comic about a man who gets attacked by a werewolf and as a result becomes a werewolf himself. He uses his curse to fight crime and is mentored by an old vampire, Zecharias. The Astounding Wolf-Man is kind of a combination of Kirkman's main comics, Invincible and The Walking Dead. It combines Invincible's superheroism and flashy action with The Walkin Dead's darkness and ruthlessness. Although the combination doesn't quite rise to the level of neither of the "original ...more
Josef Ploski
May 17, 2014 Josef Ploski rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I've loved Were-wolves and the Wolfman since I was a little kid and this series delivers a great wolf-man trying to do good but with all sorts of twists and turns and intrigue galore. I can't wait to get my hands on volume two.
Brad
Mar 13, 2010 Brad rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, image-comics
Robert Kirkman wanted to write a straight forward werewolf-as-superhero comic... and succeeded! Nothing in the book is trailblazing, but it's all pretty good. The twists and turns feel awfully familiar--the untrustworthy vampire Zechariah feels like a character out of Kirkman's Invincible--but not boring. All the other heroes and villains in the book feel pretty faceless, but Wolf-Man, his family, and his neat lair are all pretty great.
Seth
Jul 19, 2014 Seth rated it really liked it
It started kind of slow, but once again Kirkman pulls you in with great character development and subtle references to characters in the Marvel and DC universe. I'm gonna keep going on this series.
Keegan Allen
Oct 18, 2014 Keegan Allen rated it did not like it
A trite and overdone narrative accompanied by the kind of art we've come to expect from Esurance commericals
Dony Grayman
Apr 25, 2016 Dony Grayman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: decto, ed-esp
Edición española sin numerar que traduce el tomo 1 estadounidense.
Kevin
May 15, 2015 Kevin rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
started slow. picked up near the end. interested in reading more.
Pat Sul
Feb 23, 2013 Pat Sul rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
not a big kirkman fan. if asked i couldn't explain why 'walking dead' is so popular: i just don't see it.

so i checked this out not expecting much.
i was pleasantly surprised.
a rip roaring (ahem) action story - with a nice mix of personal issues and a building mythology. blood, excitement and intrigue combine to make this a pretty spiffy read.
liked jason howard's simple but bold art.

this isn't a book that is going to set new standards, but then who cares if it does? it delivers a fun entertai
Logan Cook
Apr 29, 2014 Logan Cook rated it really liked it
Trevor
Mar 13, 2016 Trevor rated it liked it
Fun and good, quick and easy to read
Trike
Apr 08, 2011 Trike rated it liked it
Despite the horror-movie font this book springs from (and all the blood and gore), these is a fairly lightweight story. Kirkman is good at putting a story together but he doesn't build menace or use artistic things like foreshadowing (or foreboding). The story feels well-plotted but it's really just a straight-forward adventure tale. That said, it's an enjoyable read and the art is extremely good with nice clear drawings and dynamic page layouts. Plus, you know, super-powered werewolves. That ge ...more
Sara
Feb 26, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok
meh.
Morgan
Oct 09, 2013 Morgan rated it it was ok
Well, it is ok. Were it not for loving Kirkman's other stuff I'd give up on this entirely. Mostly it is just depressing. We just have unlikable characters running through a by the book story, with some gore for shock value. Kirkman loves to beat up on his characters, but in Invincible and even Walking Dead there are savvy bits and even moments of joy and redemption. With this it feels like he's just crapping on his characters over and over again because that's his "style."
Trey
Aug 07, 2010 Trey rated it liked it
I like Robert Kirkman from Invincible>, so I wanted to like this more than I actually did. The premise is a good one (a failing business man is attacked by a werewolf and becomes a super hero; why wouldn't he?), but the characterization and writing are not as sophisticated as I was expecting. I will check out the next few volumes because this edition drops off in the middle of a storyline, but it's not an essential read by any means. Check out Invincible> instead.
Joe Young
Jul 11, 2011 Joe Young rated it liked it
Robert Kirkman - author

At this point Kirkman's style is beginning to wear on me. Don't get me wrong -- this was a good graphic novel. The strong point, as with most of Kirkman's work, is character development and fast-paced plotting. Definitely worth a check-out at the public library, and fans of werewolves, vampires et al. will definitely love it.
Travis
Apr 12, 2010 Travis rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
Great idea, nice art and a sympathetic, likable lead character, but so much of the story seems to be 'how much can we dump on this guy?'
After awhile I got tired of it and not even the cool idea of 'monster turns super hero', could keep me coming back.

Would make good movie though.

John Opalenik
Feb 13, 2014 John Opalenik rated it liked it
This combines two of my favorite things from my childhood, superheroes and werewolves. That being said, it's definitely not a kid's book.

It certainly won't go down in comic book history, but I did enjoy it a lot.
J.
Aug 02, 2011 J. rated it liked it
Pretty good--the art is solid, but a little inconsistent. The plotting, also, is overall good, but has some funny pacing issues, and a few plot holes. But enjoyable enough.
Spencer
Mar 19, 2011 Spencer rated it liked it
This works as a straight superhero comic. Although it is not a very interesting one. I'm not a fan of superheros typically, so someone who likes the genre may enjoy this.
  • Dynamo 5, Volume 1: Post-Nuclear Family
  • Invincible Presents Atom Eve & Rex Splode Volume 1
  • The Mice Templar, Vol. 1:  The Prophecy
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 7: Garden of Souls (B.P.R.D., #7)
  • Hack/Slash, Vol. 1: First Cut
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Micro-Series, Volume 1
  • Marvel 1602: Fantastick Four
  • The Sword, Volume 3: Earth
  • Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body
  • 1140 Rue Royale (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #3)
  • Black Summer
More about Robert Kirkman...

The Astounding Wolf-Man (4 books)
  • The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 2