Start by marking “The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1

The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1 (The Astounding Wolf-Man #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  455 ratings  ·  36 reviews
When Gary Hampton is mauled and left for dead, his life takes a drastic turn! Gary is cursed -when the moon is full he transforms into a beast of the night - a werewolf! This curse will not be used for evil - witness the birth of the world's most unlikely new superhero - The Astounding Wolf-Man!
Published July 1st 2008 by Image Comics (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1

Kris43
This is a blend between supernatural horror(ish) and superhero genre.
It is a quick, fast paced and fun read, just not particularly deep or complex.

One day this dude goes on a trip in wilderness and gets mauled by what they suspect is a bear.
He is left in critical condition, just waiting to die.
Turns out it was not a bear, but a werewolf.
The dude makes a complete recovery and starts learning how to control his inner beast.

Now for the bad parts:

The whole blend of genres works out mostly fine,
Matti Karjalainen
Hamptonin perheen lomaretki Wyomingin leirintäalueella saa ikävän lopun kun liikemiehenä työskentelevän isäpappa-Garyn raatelee suurpeto, jota epäillään yleisesti karhuksi. Seuraavan täydenkuun aikana käy ilmi, että pedon hyökkäyksellä on muitakin vaikutuksia kuin sairaalareissu...

Robert Kirkmanin, mestarillisen "The Walking Dead" -kauhusarjakuvan käsikirjoittaman luoman "The Astounding Wolfmanin"(Image, 2010) alkumetrit ovat kuin mistä tahansa perinteisestä ihmissusimyyttiä käsittelevästä kauhu
Erik
Kirkman just may be the most prolific writer in the comics medium today. If not penning the exploits of Rick and his fellow survivors of a zombie holocaust in The Walking Dead, he also manages to put out several other superhero titles – the newest of which is The Astounding Wolf-Man. Although the premise is intriguing enough – man mysteriously bitten and transformed into the titular hirsute creature – there are a number of plot and art elements that jar my ability to suspend my disbelief. First, ...more
Zane
Wolf-men are hard to translate into comics. There was that Swamp Thing one shot about the menstruating wolf-woman that was pretty tight (actually probably the most interesting attempts of that era to address Adrian Rich style alienation through the horror comics medium, also probably the only one). There were some old school wolf-man stories in some EC comics, like 'Vault of Horror' vol. 1 where the guy thinks he is a wolf man but then... Well, I won't ruin it.

The other take is the wolf-man bec
Jason Bloom
A rich guy gets the powers of a werewolf and becomes a superhero. DONE.
Although promising, I would recommend Invincible and The Walking Dead as Kirkman's superior works WELL ahead of this one. The first volume was okay, but I am probably not going to go search out the rest. Good plot twists though; that Kirkman is one f-ed up dude. In a good way.
Trent
This is the page for volume 1 of the trade edition, but I'd like to recommend this series as a whole.

The thing I love about this story is its characters. They are very believable and organic. They change and cause change. They're dynamic and portrayed in such a way that you have to love even the antagonists (or at least sympathize with them). When I think of Mecha Maid's introduction, all I can think of is how perfectly that one page did her justice as a character and how much it told me about h
Nicolas Ronvel
Une bonne lecture de comics, avec un personnage original. Le dessin colle parfaitement à l'histoire, et les personnages sont très intéressants à suivre. L'histoire, sous des atours classiques, arrive rapidement à sortir des sentiers battus, et la spirale infernale qui se forme autour du héros va crescendo jusqu'à la dernière page.

En plus d'une histoire intéressante, le TPB propose une introduction très intéressante de Robert Kirkman, expliquant les origines du projet. Les dernières pages, elles,
Jukka Kuva
The Astounding Wolf-Man is a comic about a man who gets attacked by a werewolf and as a result becomes a werewolf himself. He uses his curse to fight crime and is mentored by an old vampire, Zecharias. The Astounding Wolf-Man is kind of a combination of Kirkman's main comics, Invincible and The Walking Dead. It combines Invincible's superheroism and flashy action with The Walkin Dead's darkness and ruthlessness. Although the combination doesn't quite rise to the level of neither of the "original ...more
Josef Ploski
I've loved Were-wolves and the Wolfman since I was a little kid and this series delivers a great wolf-man trying to do good but with all sorts of twists and turns and intrigue galore. I can't wait to get my hands on volume two.
Brad
Robert Kirkman wanted to write a straight forward werewolf-as-superhero comic... and succeeded! Nothing in the book is trailblazing, but it's all pretty good. The twists and turns feel awfully familiar--the untrustworthy vampire Zechariah feels like a character out of Kirkman's Invincible--but not boring. All the other heroes and villains in the book feel pretty faceless, but Wolf-Man, his family, and his neat lair are all pretty great.
Seth
It started kind of slow, but once again Kirkman pulls you in with great character development and subtle references to characters in the Marvel and DC universe. I'm gonna keep going on this series.
Keegan Allen
A trite and overdone narrative accompanied by the kind of art we've come to expect from Esurance commericals
Pat Sul
not a big kirkman fan. if asked i couldn't explain why 'walking dead' is so popular: i just don't see it.

so i checked this out not expecting much.
i was pleasantly surprised.
a rip roaring (ahem) action story - with a nice mix of personal issues and a building mythology. blood, excitement and intrigue combine to make this a pretty spiffy read.
liked jason howard's simple but bold art.

this isn't a book that is going to set new standards, but then who cares if it does? it delivers a fun entertai
Logan Cook
Trike
Despite the horror-movie font this book springs from (and all the blood and gore), these is a fairly lightweight story. Kirkman is good at putting a story together but he doesn't build menace or use artistic things like foreshadowing (or foreboding). The story feels well-plotted but it's really just a straight-forward adventure tale. That said, it's an enjoyable read and the art is extremely good with nice clear drawings and dynamic page layouts. Plus, you know, super-powered werewolves. That ge ...more
Morgan
Well, it is ok. Were it not for loving Kirkman's other stuff I'd give up on this entirely. Mostly it is just depressing. We just have unlikable characters running through a by the book story, with some gore for shock value. Kirkman loves to beat up on his characters, but in Invincible and even Walking Dead there are savvy bits and even moments of joy and redemption. With this it feels like he's just crapping on his characters over and over again because that's his "style."
Trey
I like Robert Kirkman from Invincible>, so I wanted to like this more than I actually did. The premise is a good one (a failing business man is attacked by a werewolf and becomes a super hero; why wouldn't he?), but the characterization and writing are not as sophisticated as I was expecting. I will check out the next few volumes because this edition drops off in the middle of a storyline, but it's not an essential read by any means. Check out Invincible> instead.
Joe Young
Robert Kirkman - author

At this point Kirkman's style is beginning to wear on me. Don't get me wrong -- this was a good graphic novel. The strong point, as with most of Kirkman's work, is character development and fast-paced plotting. Definitely worth a check-out at the public library, and fans of werewolves, vampires et al. will definitely love it.
Travis
Great idea, nice art and a sympathetic, likable lead character, but so much of the story seems to be 'how much can we dump on this guy?'
After awhile I got tired of it and not even the cool idea of 'monster turns super hero', could keep me coming back.

Would make good movie though.

John Opalenik
This combines two of my favorite things from my childhood, superheroes and werewolves. That being said, it's definitely not a kid's book.

It certainly won't go down in comic book history, but I did enjoy it a lot.
J.
Pretty good--the art is solid, but a little inconsistent. The plotting, also, is overall good, but has some funny pacing issues, and a few plot holes. But enjoyable enough.
Spencer
This works as a straight superhero comic. Although it is not a very interesting one. I'm not a fan of superheros typically, so someone who likes the genre may enjoy this.
Ratforce
Combining a love for graphic novels and horror, The Astounding Wolf-Man by Robert Kirkman (the man behind the hit series The Walking Dead) is a great series to look into.
Megan Park

I was drawn to this comic after reading The Walking Dead. It was entertaining enough. Not as fabulous as The Walking Dead, but I do feel compelled to read Volume 2.
Miik
This was a blast! Not nearly as meaty as Walking Dead, but one of the best superhero comics I've read in awhile. And it doesn't hurt that you can blow through it in an hour.
Earline
crime-fighting werewolf? HELL YES!

this is the first Robert Kirkman comic that I've read and actually liked. I also loved the artwork! super bloody!
sixthreezy
Read Issue #1 for free on Comixology. Must-read more, simply because it's cartoony, but dark and bloody. Also, Robert Kirkman. Uh, hello?
♪♫3rik  ♪♫
this book is really good for me because i always like wolfs, is mostly about suspense terror horror
i like this kind stuff.
  • Invincible Presents Atom Eve & Rex Splode Volume 1
  • The Mice Templar, Vol. 1:  The Prophecy
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 7: Garden of Souls (B.P.R.D., #7)
  • The Sword Volume 1: Fire
  • Black Summer
  • Hack/Slash, Vol. 1: First Cut
  • Skullkickers Volume 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body
  • Monster Zoo
  • 1140 Rue Royale (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #3)
  • The Sword, Volume 3: Earth
  • The Middleman: The Doomsday Armageddon Apocalypse
  • Cairo
  • Marvel 1602: New World/Fantastick Four
  • The Stuff of Legend, Book 1: The Dark
More about Robert Kirkman...
The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 The Walking Dead, Book One The Walking Dead, Vol. 08: Made to Suffer The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us