Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)

Martin the Warrior (Redwall #6)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  24,225 ratings  ·  301 reviews
Finally, the long awaited tale of Martin, the Warrior mouse of Redwall

As a child, Martin was brought to the stronghold of Badrang the Tyrant, forced into enslavement behind its massive walls. But he was strong. He was brave. And mere escape was not his plan as long as his father’s sword rested in Badrang’s ruthless fist…
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published April 1st 1995 by Ace (first published October 1993)

Stephan Sevenyoln
Martin the Warrior is probably one of the best Redwall books. While the writing is decidedly clunky at best, you never notice once you get into the book. Martin the Warrior has everything; it has the drama, the sadness, the love and hate of The Lord of the Rings.
It also has the revenge and hate of Felldoh, and off course the sadness of the death's of some central characters.
I felt the difference between Martin and Felldoh strongly; Felldoh was imprisoned all his life, and was forever changed b...more
Josiah
"It's a long hard road ahead for you, little warrior. Enjoy a happy day while you can."

—Boldred, "Martin the Warrior", P. 267

"Don't think about what you could have done, concentrate on what you plan to do; it is more useful."

—Boldred P. 335

The ability of Brian Jacques to create an entirely new world that is bursting at the seams with deep, suspensefully plotted adventures, characters overflowing with originality and life, and epic, imaginative quests that could appeal to even the most hard-...more
Kelsey Hanson
Spoilers ahead!

This one was always my least favorite Redwall novel growing up largely because of its bittersweet ending (But it was still a Redwall book so I still really liked it). Now I have a better appreciation for this novel. Martin is an awesome character and the mythos surrounding him is a driving force throughout the series. I really enjoy the novels that focus on him and his past. Plus I've always enjoyed books that feature the little guy fighting back against an impossible foe. A big r...more
Brigitte
This book is about a mouse named Martin. He lives in a world were all "unworthy" animals are slaved to an animal overlord. Martin, like all of the other slaves hated this overlord and all of his followers. It is Martin's quest to escape his slavery with as many other animals as he can, and defeat the evil overlord. It is all up to Martin to save the slaves.
There are many external conflicts in this book. Many of them are Martin vs. the overlord or one of his followers. One of the more frequent...more
Rick Davis
Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques

I had been pretty burnt out on the Redwall books after Mossflower, Mattimeo, and Salamandastron. Redwall was a creative and fun book, but it seemed that all its successors were progressively formulaic and uncreative. Martin the Warrior, however, is a return to the same creative spirit of the original book, and, in my opinion, improves upon it.

The book explores the early life of Martin the Warrior after he has been made a slave by Badrang, the cruel tyrant of Ma...more
Odhran
Ah, Redwall. A source of much enjoyment to me as a young leveret. Oh the feasts! Oh the adventure! Oh the villains!

Obviously, it doesn't hold up well. I mean, I'm rarely one to be overly focused on poor writing if there are some redeeming features (a good plot will allow me to excuse bad style), but Brian Jacques isn't a very good writer. I know children's books are very often clunky as all hell, but that's not good enough. I can understand wanting to tone down themes a bit for youngsters, but t...more
Ally
Martin the Warrior is by Brian Jacques. It is fantasy because animals are talking.The main characters are Redwall, Martin, Grumm, Captin Tramun, and Rose. Redwall started out as a small mouse but now he is a hero and is adventurious. Martin is grey mouse with heroic skills. Grumm is a wise mouse and can try to act funny and heroic.Rose is Martin's sister and she is heroic too. Captin Tramun is the bad guy they run into him and he has a bunch of scars. They go to a bunch of places during the sto...more
Oz Barton
Like many, I grew up adoring the Redwall series, so it pains me to give this two stars now.

This past summer I found my collection of Redwall books — I have the first dozen — and chose to reread this one because it was, in my opinion at the time, the best of them.

And frankly, it isn't all that great.

The writing itself is depressingly mediocre, the plot (like all of them) meandering and predictable. The colloquial quirks of the different animal species (molespeech, the shrews, etc.) and the painst...more
Cindi
Excellent stuff! We will be reading more of the Redwall books. The cast for the audio version was excellent with the bulk of it being read by the author himself (always a treat), plus a whole crew of talented actors.

Martin is brave, strong and everything a hero should be. The bad guys are really bad. The clash between them is almost on par with "The Lord of the Rings," except the story has forest animals as the main characters.

How I love summer road trips. We accomplish so much "reading" this wa...more
Alice T.
By far the BEST book in the Redwall seiries. Martin is amazing. I listened to the tape when i first heard it but if i had read it i would not have been able to put it down! really great story. i loved it. Rose is really cool also. It is all about how they save a bunch of slaves from searats and other pleasent animals. Really amazing book. Sad at the end but then cheers up. Martin is really cool. You really have to have a certain taste for Brian Jaques style, but most people would like it. The ta...more
Angela Mondragon
Dan Martin
I'm giving all these books a 4, because they basically GOT me hooked on fantasy I think. I read all of these in elementary school, and still have fond memories floating around. The rad legendary weapons, (with the channels etched in for blood flow, which i found super hardcore). The foods, the booze, honey mead and apple wine or whatever. Come to think of it, these books might also be a little responsible for my alcoholism, too.

i remember this one being one of the best though. Martin is a badass...more
Kristy G. Stewart
This Redwall books was especially wonderful, for me, because it was so atypical. It just wasn't like the rest of them. In fact, I must say that, as the series grew larger, I found that I liked the books that occured in distant lands better than the ones near Redwall, because the ones by the abbey were sometimes slightly redundant.

Anyway, this particular book was awesome. And I punched a guy over it. I think it was the first time I punched someone outside of my family too, so it is extra awesome.
Andrew Anony
The story is pretty thin and the there are a lot of boring parts. I hate that every meal needed to be described in excruciating detail - although it did add to the immersion of the world. Martin the Warrior was cooler when he was just a legend shrouded in mystery.
Nathan Major
While it is easy to argue that the Redwall books quickly fell into a formula, Martin the Warrior is a black sheep in so many ways. There is no Redwall to save. The heroes are not constantly on the defense. There is a genuine love interest you care about. Not to mention easily the most heartbreaking ending of any of the books in the entire series.
Martin the Warrior is the best Redwall book, easily. It's compelling, unique, and beautiful.
Ben The
I really liked this, but it had the same thing, well what happens about in all of them, is that a rescue party always comes at the last minute when it seems all is lost. but it was still one of the best because of all the previous stuff, i mean this was the first book i read, so of course it was amazing. but like this one,other books have a last minute rescue.

still WAY worth reading,
ben
joanna
Marvelous! Read by the author and a full cast of colorful characters, whose voices brought their already vivid personalities to life. I love how Brian Jacques told real stories of heroic valor and war and strife and suffering, but made them accessible to children as well as adults by using animals instead of humans. Loved it.
Janet
I’m always a little depressed when I finish one of Jacques’ books. Even though these are purportedly for children, he doesn’t shy away from violence, or death. At least one of my favorite characters usually manages to get killed off. And even though I’m an adult, I always finish a book and wish I could live at Redwall Abbey.
Evan Leach
My pick for the best of the Redwall series. Martin the Warrior is the legendary hero of the Redwall universe, and this book does him full justice. Very entertaining story with a strong final act, this was one of my favorite books as a youngster. 4.5 stars, highly recommended!
Wealhtheow
In Redwall, everyone knows of the famed Martin the Warrior, the founder and most valiant defender of Redwall Abbey. This is the story of how he came to be a legend. Martin is a fantastic character, and his adventures are enthralling.
Jackson Dolly
By far the best book in the series. He tells the entire story of Martin and his journey from peasant to legend at Mossflower. I loved the setting, the characters, and the plot. Absolutely fantastic book.
Ian
Apr 22, 2012 Ian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ian by: Peter Campbell
Shelves: favorites
This was an amazing book! A lot of action and i like how everything fit together in the end. I didn't know how it would end like i can figure out others but this one had the suspence and action i like!
Ruby

An epic adventure tale. The personification of creatures is hardly noticed as Jacques immerses you deeply in the lives, emotions and thoughts of the characters in this unforgettable tail (tale).
Daniella
A re-read of one of my favourites from childhood. Martin the Warrior may not be a well-written books in terms of mechanics (according to many other reviews), but I had honestly not noticed while I was reading. It could be that I was just thrilled to return to the world that Jacques had created, but I found myself immersed in the struggle for freedom and what it means to be a warrior. This continues to remain one of my favourite books. Its true that there are a lot of descriptions of food,but tha...more
Jen
I don't know if it's just because this is the fifth (I think) Redwall book or what, but it took me forever to get into. It was just...repetitive, and not in a fun way. Martin is battling against all odds? Seen it. There are kind mousemaids? Been there. An evil rat/stoat/ferret is a pirate tyrant? Yup. There will be mishaps along a journey where enemies are converted to friends? Check.

It was just really hard to care when it was basically the same story he's been writing, which is sad because this...more
Raechal
This book in the series gave you a background on why all the mice and moles really do believe in Martin the Warrior
Eugene
Jun 06, 2008 Eugene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who's read Redwall and Mossflower :P
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Jason
In the book Martin The Warrior it is about a mouse named Martin who is taken and enslaved to Badrang in his fort, Marshank. Along with others Rose and Grumm to save his brother Brome and a long time slave of Badrang, Felldoh they escape and plan to defeat Badrang when they return. A boat accident while escaping seperates the parties into two. Martin goes off to find Noonvale where Rose and Brome lived and build an army while Felldoh finds himself trying to help the slaves at Marshank escape.

I ca...more
Kaion
When I was about at the in-be'tween'y stage, I devoured all eleven Redwall books available to me at the local library. If you’ve read any the series, you don’t need to be reminded of Jacques’s world of sumptuous feasts and heroic quests and colorful protagonists and evil vermin and accents (!).

Since, I've occasionally reread the original novel, but not any of the others, until now. Although I don’t quite as much enjoy the slight wish-fulfillment qualities in this immersive world as much (has any...more
Morgan
This is the story of the famous Martin the Warrior, hero of Redwall Abbey, before he came to found Redwall. The story begins with Martin, young and orphaned, being sold into slavery along with several other "unworthy" animals. Under the custody of Badrang the stoat, Martin grows to hate the overlord and teams up with a few fellow slaves to try and break free. When their escape attempt is successful, he and his new friends rally together and try and form an army to face Badrang, hoping to end his...more
Am I the only one who loves this book? 26 80 Nov 27, 2013 11:17AM
  • Redwall: The Graphic Novel
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • The Dark Portal (The Deptford Mice, #1)
  • Ragweed (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #0)
  • Fire Bringer
  • Dinotopia: The World Beneath
  • The Fires of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #3)
  • Silverwing (Silverwing, #1)
  • The Hork Bajir Chronicles (Animorphs Chronicles, #2)
  • The Hatchling (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #7)
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • The Iron Ring
  • Frightful's Mountain (Mountain, #3)
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh...more
More about Brian Jacques...
Mossflower (Redwall, #2) Redwall (Redwall, #1) Lord Brocktree (Redwall, #13) Mattimeo (Redwall, #3) Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)

“Throughout his life the memory of that happy day stayed locked secretly in (his) heart.” 29 likes
“It's a long hard road ahead for you, little warrior. Enjoy a happy day while you can.

—Boldred”