Love Is a Racket

Love Is a Racket

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In his first novel since Stray Dogs, John Ridley offers up a brilliant noir farce about a small-time con man who finally gets it right just before it all goes wrong.

Everything's a racket for Jeffty Kittridge, a thirty- seven-year-old ex-wannabe scriptwriter living on the skids in Hollywood--the two-bit cons he pulls for spending money; the way he convinces himself that he'...more
Published December 2nd 2003 by One World/Ballantine (first published 1998)

Ice
Chris
This story is about a small time con-man/losing gambler's adventures in trying to pay back his Haitian loan shark, Mr. Dumas.

Our main character, Jeffty, always loses--even when one thinks he wins, he still loses. Jeffty's old best friend, Nellis, drops back into his life and makes him lose hope. Mr. Dumas makes Jeffty lose his friends. Mr. Dumas's apologetic henchman, Ty, makes Jeffty lose his lunch and dexterity and self esteem. The dirty policemen make Jeffty lose any street credibility. And f...more
Eric
Gritty story about a very small time conman in debt to a bookie and his efforts to get out that debt. I can't say its an enjoyable read as much that what goes on is pretty grim but it is an absorbing one. The pacing is a little odd in that there's a dramatic shift in plot direction midway through the book. The plot wasn't predictable enough that I knew for certain was coming so even the inevitable climax had enough surprises.

This is the second book by the author of Stray Dogs which became the m...more
Tina
This story started out kind of slow. I started to enjoy it about half way through and kept reading until the end. I was surprised at the ending at first, but, once I thought about it, it really should not have been a surprise. Maybe a two and a half star rating.
Ian Towey
Not my usual kind of thing, but I loved it. Gangsters, poverty, drunkenness and violence. Very well done.
Jussi
pulp tradition take-off, goes thru moves but doesn't compel or come alive.
Travis
Ick. I might have liked it better if I cared about any of the characters.
Emily
this was really good.
Glen C
Glen C marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Spino
Spino marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Jjah
Jjah marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
David Ruiz
David Ruiz marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Jisung Post-PhD
Jisung Post-PhD marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Mike Vermillion
Mike Vermillion marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Authority: Human on the Inside Everybody Smokes In Hell Those Who Walk in Darkness (Soledad O'Roark, #1) Stray Dogs What Fire Cannot Burn (Soledad O'Roark, #2)