Start by marking “The Wizard Of Linn” as Want to Read:
The Wizard Of Linn

The Wizard Of Linn (The Mutant Mage #2)

12,000 A.D. The Earth, after the atomic holocaust, had reverted to a strange kind of barbarism, where men could build space ships but could not communicate except by the most primitive means. Alien invaders had been sighted at the edge of the galaxy - but no one took action. Only one man, THE WIZARD OF LINN could save the decadent empire and with his mysterious powers, pre ...more
Published July 1st 1975 by Manor Books (first published April 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Wizard Of Linn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wizard Of Linn

Bryan
Dec 22, 2009 Bryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, series-complete
Empire of the Atom
The Wizard of Linn
Empire of the Atom by A.E. Van Vogt The Wizard of Linn by A.E. Van Vogt

I'll review these together - you really need to read both of them to get the full sense of what van Vogt created.

Hail Lord Clane Linn - despised mutation from the long line of powerful Linn leaders. Hated, misunderstood, marginalized, and despised - can Clane become the "Pariah Messiah" needed to save humanity?

There are many other examples of this type of character. Consider Elric (by Michael Moorcock) - weak albino, outcast, last of a mighty line, hated by
Derek
Aug 20, 2015 Derek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Much to my dismay, van Vogt sets aside the quasi-medieval setting of the first book and rockets into space, his hero Clane Linn sent on a mission to discover a means to defeat the Riss menace. And when he returns, he has shiny toys.

(As introduced late in the previous book.)

In addition to the worlds and inhabitants discovered, Clane must also maintain political control of the ship, against an ambitious barbarian leader and the rest of the crew.

This becomes tiresome but for a nugget that van Vogt
Scott Holstad
May 31, 2014 Scott Holstad rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Pulp sci fi rubbish. I bought this for sixty five cents at a used bookstore because I remembered that the author was a favorite of a young Philip K Dick, one of my favorites. So I decided to see what he was about. Well, I couldn't finish it. The writing is clumsy, klutzy, simply terrible. We're jerked from scene to scene in parallel paragraphs without any warning to prepare us. The dialogue is wooden and disjointed. Jerrin's wife plays a major role, but has almost no dialogue to speak of. Clane, ...more
Devero
Feb 09, 2017 Devero rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forse un poco troppo fantastico per certi aspetti, troppo uso della Terza Legge di Clarke.
Nel complesso la storia si sviluppa bene, e a parte un paio di episodi mal approcciati, che poi sono quelli che riguardano la moglie del protagonista, che paiono buttati lì a caso, non è male. Di certo è parecchio scorrevole.
Alan
Jan 04, 2017 Alan rated it really liked it
I haven't read the first book in the series but having read "The Wizard of Linn" quite comfortably, you don't need to read the first one to understand the second. There were a few moments of dryness but I loved the dialog between the characters. It works really well as a book about "how to ask questions". I haven't seen this book mentioned in the lists of books that were influenced by General Semantics, but this clearly was and anyone with a passing knowledge of General Semantics can enjoy it on ...more
Mel
As the first book in this series was to I Claudius this one is to Claudius the God. Unfortunately without Livia it's not quite as cool, but Caligula in space is pretty fun. It was also interesting to see how they justified their society and the whole, we have spaceships but only bows and arrows dichotomy. The book started quite close to Claudius but diverted around a third of the way through when Clane (Claudius) decided to go and find other humans and the alien invaders home world (Which could ...more
Michael Bafford
Oct 15, 2015 Michael Bafford rated it really liked it
Having read the first part I moved on to this. From a slow beginning Van Vogt launched out into the wider universe and drew me into a story of which I can honestly say I had no idea where he was going. Well, there is the Riss - the alien race intent on taking over the earth. I figured our hero Lord Crane would have to sort that out, and he did. But getting there is lots of fun.

Some parts read like separate stories tossed in without any real connection to the main story but this is at least part
Matteo Pellegrini

Con questo volume si conclude il Ciclo di Linn, del quale abbiamo pubblicato il primo episodio nel n. 40 di questa collana, L'impero dell'Atomo. L'ascesa del mutante Clane nel Sistema Solare, culmina con la presa diretta del potere da parte sua, non prima però di aver dovuto respingere un tentativo d'invasione da parte di una razza di alieni provenienti dagli spazi galattici, che hanno messo a ferro e a fuoco sia la Terra che gli altri pianti dell'Impero di Linn. Anche i contrasti con Czinczar,

Denis
Mar 26, 2012 Denis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good sequel to the fix-up novel "Empire of the Atom. This novel completes the "god stories" with clearly and logically - not always the usual for Van Vogt.

The plot reflects the Roman Empire while still being uniquely written in Vogt's truly pulpy SF style, truly making the story his own. The original Clan stories were loosely based on "I Claudius".

Maybe Van Vogt's best effort.
Bill Meehan
This book, though it says it no where on the book is a sequel to 'Empire of the Atom', which probably should be read first.
Not a bad story, quick rather easy read.
Never was able to figure out what the picture on the cover had to do with the story either?
Jheurf
Apr 26, 2016 Jheurf rated it really liked it
Good follow up to the first one.

I was worried there that it would be another re-hash of the firsts political intrigue, and it is for a whole. But I'm actually glad it decided to go a different route and become a space exploration tale.
David Johnston
Jan 01, 2014 David Johnston rated it it was ok
I get the impression that van Vogt wasn't sure where he was going with these stories but this is the prototype for his later super-intelligent man against the universe books.
Richard Gombert
Richard Gombert rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2011
Ericb
Ericb rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Oren Bochman
Oren Bochman rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Rbert137
Rbert137 rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Alain
Alain rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Angirasa Acharya
Angirasa Acharya rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2010
Sylvia
Sylvia rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2012
Jerry Hanna
Jerry Hanna rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Adriaanroeleveld
Adriaanroeleveld rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2009
Marcel So
Marcel So rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2017
Eddy Pelckmans
Eddy Pelckmans rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Best-okami
Best-okami rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Sergey
Sergey rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Amiranus Romanus
Amiranus Romanus rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Glenn White
Glenn White rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2012
Farès
Farès rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2012
Kristen Nicholls
Kristen Nicholls rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2015
  • Cemetery World
  • Visible Light
  • The Architect of Sleep
  • Hawksbill Station
  • Who Goes Here? (Warren Peace, #1)
  • Future History (Moties 0.5, Falkenberg's Legion, #a-b)
  • Flight of the Dragonfly
  • City of a Thousand Suns
  • Sinister Barrier
  • Nightfall One
  • Mission to Horatius (Star Trek: The Original Series)
Alfred Elton van Vogt was a Canadian-born science fiction author regarded by some as one of the most popular and complex science fiction writers of the mid-twentieth century—the "Golden Age" of the genre.

van Vogt was born to Russian Mennonite family. Until he was four years old, van Vogt and his family spoke only a dialect of Low German in the home.

He began his writing career with 'true story' ro
More about A.E. van Vogt...

The Mutant Mage (2 books)
  • Empire of the Atom