Start by marking “Tibor Kalman: Perverse Optimist” as Want to Read:
Tibor Kalman: Perverse Optimist

Tibor Kalman: Perverse Optimist

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  232 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Tibor Kalman: Perverse Optimist is the definitive and exuberant document of the late Tibor Kalman's work and ideas. This full-color, oversize title reveals Kalman's thoughts on magazines, advertising, sex, bookstores, food, and the design profession. Product designs, stills and storyboards from his film and video projects, and spreads from his book and magazine work are in ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Princeton Architectural Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Tibor Kalman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tibor Kalman

Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickTwilight by Stephenie MeyerFallen by Lauren KateNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Best Covers
271st out of 446 books — 330 voters

More lists with this book...

Jodi
Sep 19, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Years ago I regularly bought copies of Colors magazine. I loved the unique in-your-face style of it, and how it was compiled and written for a truly global audience. Later I discovered children's books authored and illustrated by the amazingly creative Maira Kalman. Later still I discovered that it was her belated husband Tibor who had been the editor and driving force behind Colors. This book chronicles Tibor's path as an innovative, learn-as-you-go designer and creative genius. Alongside his w ...more
Emir
Nov 21, 2007 Emir rated it liked it
Edited by Michael Bierut and Peter Hall, the 420 page book features work highlights of Kalman as he started his career at a New York City campus bookstore, which is now Barnes & Noble, Kalman's work at M&Co, to his work on Benetton's Colors magazine under Oliviero Toscani. It features some writing by Kalman, and contributions about Kalman by Paola Antonelli, David Byrne, Jay Chiat, Jenny Holzer, Isaac Mizrahi, Florent Morellet, Leonard Riggio, Rebecca Robertson, Ingrid Sischy, Elizabeth ...more
Jaireh
Apr 05, 2008 Jaireh rated it liked it
Shelves: creativity
I don't get it, Tibor Kalman's supposed to be this Brilliant Graphic Designer, so I bought this monograph. However, upon reading it, I find that he pales in comparison to current versions of designer-as-superstar like Sagmeister. I guess he did it in the nineties and it was provocative but I found his work to be only marginally interesting. After I purchased this I realized I really actually wanted to purchase Bruce Mau's monograph (easy to confuse those weird foreign names).
Jun 10, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, even though I'm not that interested in graphic design. It was very interesting for me to see what it was like to run a design firm (even if it's an unconventional one). Overall the more you are interested in graphic design and art the more interesting this book will be to you.
Scott
Jun 03, 2011 Scott rated it it was amazing
If there was a Mount Rushmore of graphic designers surely Tibor Kalman's head would be on it. Even if you have no hint of design aesthetic you will still marvel at his work. Thought provoking and funny Tibor could do it all. You've seen his work although you may not know it.
Judy
Sep 19, 2007 Judy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those that like pictures and revolutionary pop art
Nice compilation of Tibor Kalman's work. The book is very artsy with typography to look at for its design quailty - but I found difficult to read. The writing was not bad, just difficult to read under such red, yellow or black backgrounds. The images are very cool.
Eric
Jan 29, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing
Probably the only designer monograph I've really READ and find myself going back to. Has the usual monograph flaws—not very critical, overly self-aggrandizing—but to have all of Kalman's work in one place to reference and show students is wonderful.
Ryan
Mar 09, 2009 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Out of all the heavy-hitters of graphic design, Tibor Kalman is definitely my favorite. This beautifully designed monograph explores the world of one of the world's most thoughtful and clever designers, whose body of work seen all at once is quite moving.
Wayne
Jul 13, 2010 Wayne rated it liked it
Tibor's vision foreshadowed the international, delightful, absurd culture of the internet. For those of us that are "of a certain age" - the web can feel like a user-generated issue of Colors, delivered a daily basis.
Catie
Mar 27, 2008 Catie rated it it was amazing
i pick this book up regularly off my shelf (when i have a bookshelf to speak of) and just flip through to find the most delightful bits and pieces of goodness. truly a brilliant man. and his wife, maira, amazing.
Widgets &
Jan 26, 2011 Widgets & rated it really liked it
A great monograph about the unique and passionate designer, Tibor Kalman. A must read for all young designers.
Jessica
Apr 13, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
the MUST HAVE BOOK for the creative thinker. such an fascinating guy and his work is just so nice to look at.
Kathleen
Nov 28, 2007 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
It might be scary to think about how much this book influenced my life and career.
Jen Jacobs
Apr 26, 2012 Jen Jacobs rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love Tibor Kalman - this man is a legend.
Patrik Berg
Sep 10, 2009 Patrik Berg rated it really liked it
Likeable guy with fascinating broad portfolio.
Jeremy
Dec 08, 2007 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aesthetic-muses
When in a bind, I think..."What would Tibor do?"
Mike Williams
Nov 16, 2007 Mike Williams rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Designers
A great collection of Tibor's work and thinking.
kekeke
kekeke marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
LM
LM added it
Jul 07, 2016
Tom Gleason
Tom Gleason rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Ryan Thompson
Ryan Thompson rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Kevin Yeh
Kevin Yeh marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Michael Gluzman
Michael Gluzman marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Amie
Amie marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Eonju Shin
Eonju Shin marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Carl Nielsen
Carl Nielsen marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Shahab Khalvati
Shahab Khalvati marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
  • Fucked Up & Photocopied: Instant Art of the Punk Rock Movement
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • A Smile in the Mind
  • Sparkle and Spin: A Book About Words
  • Information Anxiety 2 (Hayden/Que)
  • Visual and Statistical Thinking: Displays of Evidence for Decision Making