Start by marking “The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies” as Want to Read:
The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies

The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies

Fairies of the water, air, and earth, the trees and flowers, the house and hearth: all these mysterious, elusive creatures materialize on the pages of this distinctively beautiful guide to fairyland. Illustrated throughout with captivating artwork in glorious color, it examines fairy legend and lore through the ages and leads us into fairy cities, landscapes, rings, and pa ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about The Fairy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairy Bible

Emma
Jan 01, 2012 Emma rated it did not like it
This review contains what might be considered spoilers. This book doesn't have a plot, so I don't think it counts, but it seemed polite to warn you just in case.

This book may be the most infuriating thing I've ever read. I was looking for a guide to different type of fairies, and I almost got it in this.
Almost.
There is so much feminist hippy crap in this book that even when Teresa presents good information, she then defines the "meaning" of the story and spoils it. She paints all fairies to be k
Nichole *BOOKWYRM BABE* (semi-hiatus, sorry)
I liked reading the short versions of faery legend and lore and I loved the artwork. Didn't really like all the meditations and spellwork in this one. To each their own...
Soudha
Jan 14, 2015 Soudha rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-read-books
To begin with, this book is gorgeous in terms of its physical look and artwork. The content, though, could have been better. Its short entries do make for a pleasant read but if you bought this book for its information, you may be a little disappointed. Like I said, the entries are quite short.
Now for the negative point. This book includes quite a lot of inaccuracies. It lists certain creatures as fairies when these are often gods and other mythological creatures! For example, Odin and Thor, as
The Elves
Nov 30, 2013 The Elves rated it it was amazing
What we like best about Teresa Moorey’s The Fairy Bible is the illustrations by Nick Harris, Jon Goode, James Holderness, and Dean Spencer, which are delightful. For us the book is another tome added to our library of reference books on myth, faerie lore and magic. This is not a book we’ve read cover to cover and we unlikely to ever do so, but instead will dip into here in there as intuition and inspiration moves us.

But there is plenty here for those wishing suggestions about connecting to Fa
Kenny K
May 05, 2012 Kenny K rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who like Faeries and think they'e "cute" and "friendly"
Recommended to Kenny by: A faerie
The book has useful information and tales about the different Fairies and such but classifies some deities as Fairies though I suppose I can understand the reasoning she considered deities as fairies since there's an idea that fairies and demons and fallen angels have posed as "gods" so they can be worshiped yada yada, but it's not that popular an idea. Also considering Lilith not evil was too feminist to me, Lilith is evil not because she's an independent woman but because she kills babies. Las ...more
Anne
Jun 21, 2008 Anne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Faery magic, practitioners of, anyone interested in the folklore of different cultures
Recommended to Anne by: Was present
Have only read 100 pages so far, but it has a plethora of information on the fair folk and what I find most useful of all are the meditations found within. A book for fans of the faeries. This is actually the first book I have read on faeries so I may be biased. I bought "faeriecraft" by Alicen & Neil Geddes-Ward at the same time & will let you know what I think of it.
I am a big fan of folklore and especially how the lore came about, and I think this book encompasses that also. Happy R
Lori Schiele
The Fairy Bible outlined many different types of fae, from the well-known sprites and hobgoblins to the spirits of each element: earth, air, fire and water. It also discussed the spirits of flowers, trees and weather. The book also provides several spells and meditations to help you communicate with these Otherworldly beings. A lot of good information.
Molly Ringle
Nov 27, 2015 Molly Ringle rated it it was amazing
Very cool collection of fairy lore and world mythology, with lovely, bright, colorful illustrations and pleasant meditation ideas. I enjoyed reading slowly through it over the year. Used some of it as inspiration for stories I was working on, and will likely use it again for that purpose in the future. Great for the fantasy writer's library!
Tina
Jan 03, 2016 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: soul
Not the kind of book that you read cover to cover, but more of a reference novel. The artwork is excellent and the spells and rituals look promising. It demonstrates the complexity of the elemental realm combined with folk lore stories, which include a lot of fear, so I would take them with a grain of salt.
SmarterLilac
May 10, 2009 SmarterLilac rated it liked it
Not that great--unless maybe you're into fairies--but beautifully illustrated. The author gets special points for mentioning something I've always known but rarely seen acknowledged by metaphysicists: air is the most insubstantial element.
Cathy Douglas
Aug 06, 2009 Cathy Douglas rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference-books
Don't laugh! This book is better than its title makes it sound. The illustrations are plentiful but disappointing, sort of ugly if you ask me. But the information is solid. Well, by fairy standards anyway. . .
Rosalie
Jul 30, 2012 Rosalie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People that want to know more about fairies.
Recommended to Rosalie by: I passed it at the library!
Well, it gave me useful information about fairies... And I love fairies so I loved it! Also beautiful illustrations, but some were kind of revolting.
Sophie
Aug 04, 2012 Sophie rated it it was ok
interesting but I really prefered another opus in the same series called "The Mythical Creatures Bible: The Definitive Guide to Mythical Creatures" by Brenda Rosen.

Habiba
Dec 21, 2013 Habiba marked it as to-read
th e book is good
Hannah
Nov 08, 2010 Hannah marked it as to-read
Well I didnt read it yet
Dragonlords Princess
Jul 14, 2008 Dragonlords Princess rated it it was amazing
Excellent drawings and descriptions.
Alyson
Aug 19, 2012 Alyson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
Best fairy book I've read so far. I liked the mythology stories told in with descriptions of the fairies. The graphics were good to.
EscaPe iNTo thE PaGEs
Sep 08, 2016 EscaPe iNTo thE PaGEs rated it really liked it
4 solid stars! I've always been of fan of fantasy and fairy lit and I loved all the stories and myths.
Grace
Mar 20, 2015 Grace rated it really liked it
my only problem with this great book is that it's supposed to be about fairies but it talks about giants and god witch aren't actually fairies but oh well,,
Rebecca
May 01, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Not as descriptive as I would like it to be. I really want to find a dictionary of nothing but fairies :)
Ashley
Nov 28, 2010 Ashley rated it really liked it
real ggood
Kiki Wood
Nov 20, 2015 Kiki Wood rated it really liked it
For anyone who is not afraid to belive beyond the typical ideals of what we are taught my society. Wonderful little read <3
Jules Malterre
Nov 24, 2015 Jules Malterre rated it really liked it
Ma vidéo sur
un ouvrage assez complet sur l'univers des fées.

Lien : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf4c9...
Kerry
Jan 11, 2013 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book, easy to read & use. Sections on all different types of fairies. With information on them and meditations you can follow.
Simon
Jul 09, 2014 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read with good pictures.
Valerie J. Trudel
Valerie J. Trudel rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2017
Steve_long
Steve_long rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2012
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Aiza
Aiza rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2012
Afwes
Afwes rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
  • Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • A Complete Guide to Faeries & Magical Beings: Explore the Mystical Realm of the Little People
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • Fairies 101: An Introduction to Connecting, Working, and Healing with the Fairies and Other Elementals
  • A Witch's Guide To Faery Folk: How to Work With the Elemental World
  • Enchantment of the Faerie Realm: Communicate with Nature Spirits & Elementals
  • Through the Faerie Glass: A Look at the Realm of Unseen and Enchanted Beings
  • Fantasy Encyclopedia
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries
  • Meeting the Other Crowd
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • The Faeries' Oracle
  • The Spells Bible: The Definitive Guide to Charms and Enchantments
  • Element Encyclopedia Of Secret Signs And Symbols The Ultimate A Z Guide From Alchemy To The Zodiac
Teresa Moorey has written many books on personal growth, self-help, psychic powers and esoteric wisdom. She is the author of Working with Psychic Protection, Working with Hypnotherapy, Your Crystal Code and The Fairy Bible.
More about Teresa Moorey...