Start by marking “The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies” as Want to Read:
The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies

The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Fairies of the water, air, and earth, the trees and flowers, the house and hearth: all these mysterious, elusive creatures materialize on the pages of this distinctively beautiful guide to fairyland. Illustrated throughout with captivating artwork in glorious color, it examines fairy legend and lore through the ages and leads us into fairy cities, landscapes, rings, and pa ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Sterling (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Fairy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairy Bible

Emma
This review contains what might be considered spoilers. This book doesn't have a plot, so I don't think it counts, but it seemed polite to warn you just in case.

This book may be the most infuriating thing I've ever read. I was looking for a guide to different type of fairies, and I almost got it in this.
Almost.
There is so much feminist hippy crap in this book that even when Teresa presents good information, she then defines the "meaning" of the story and spoils it. She paints all fairies to be k
Nichole
I liked reading the short versions of faery legend and lore and I loved the artwork. Didn't really like all the meditations and spellwork in this one. To each their own...
Soudha
To begin with, this book is gorgeous in terms of its physical look and artwork. The content, though, could have been better. Its short entries do make for a pleasant read but if you bought this book for its information, you may be a little disappointed. Like I said, the entries are quite short.
Now for the negative point. This book includes quite a lot of inaccuracies. It lists certain creatures as fairies when these are often gods and other mythological creatures! For example, Odin and Thor, as
Kenny K
Aug 22, 2012 Kenny K rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like Faeries and think they'e "cute" and "friendly"
Recommended to Kenny by: A faerie
The book has useful information and tales about the different Fairies and such but classifies some deities as Fairies though I suppose I can understand the reasoning she considered deities as fairies since there's an idea that fairies and demons and fallen angels have posed as "gods" so they can be worshiped yada yada, but it's not that popular an idea. Also considering Lilith not evil was too feminist to me, Lilith is evil not because she's an independent woman but because she kills babies. Las ...more
The Elves
What we like best about Teresa Moorey’s The Fairy Bible is the illustrations by Nick Harris, Jon Goode, James Holderness, and Dean Spencer, which are delightful. For us the book is another tome added to our library of reference books on myth, faerie lore and magic. This is not a book we’ve read cover to cover and we unlikely to ever do so, but instead will dip into here in there as intuition and inspiration moves us.

But there is plenty here for those wishing suggestions about connecting to Fa
H.L. Stephens
Interesting and a good reference for any who wishes to have a complete library on the faerie lore.
Anne
Jun 21, 2008 Anne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Faery magic, practitioners of, anyone interested in the folklore of different cultures
Recommended to Anne by: Was present
Have only read 100 pages so far, but it has a plethora of information on the fair folk and what I find most useful of all are the meditations found within. A book for fans of the faeries. This is actually the first book I have read on faeries so I may be biased. I bought "faeriecraft" by Alicen & Neil Geddes-Ward at the same time & will let you know what I think of it.
I am a big fan of folklore and especially how the lore came about, and I think this book encompasses that also. Happy R
Lori Schiele
The Fairy Bible outlined many different types of fae, from the well-known sprites and hobgoblins to the spirits of each element: earth, air, fire and water. It also discussed the spirits of flowers, trees and weather. The book also provides several spells and meditations to help you communicate with these Otherworldly beings. A lot of good information.
SmarterLilac
Not that great--unless maybe you're into fairies--but beautifully illustrated. The author gets special points for mentioning something I've always known but rarely seen acknowledged by metaphysicists: air is the most insubstantial element.
Cathy Douglas
Don't laugh! This book is better than its title makes it sound. The illustrations are plentiful but disappointing, sort of ugly if you ask me. But the information is solid. Well, by fairy standards anyway. . .
Wogc
interesting but I really prefered another opus in the same series called "The Mythical Creatures Bible: The Definitive Guide to Mythical Creatures" by Brenda Rosen.

Rosalie
Jul 30, 2012 Rosalie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People that want to know more about fairies.
Recommended to Rosalie by: I passed it at the library!
Well, it gave me useful information about fairies... And I love fairies so I loved it! Also beautiful illustrations, but some were kind of revolting.
Alyson
Best fairy book I've read so far. I liked the mythology stories told in with descriptions of the fairies. The graphics were good to.
Kerry
A lovely book, easy to read & use. Sections on all different types of fairies. With information on them and meditations you can follow.
Rebecca
Not as descriptive as I would like it to be. I really want to find a dictionary of nothing but fairies :)
Angie Lisle
Lovely illustrations! No more or no less fairy information than other books of a similar nature.
Kate SeRine
Fun and informative. Lovely artwork. A good one to have on the shelf.
Habiba
Dec 22, 2013 Habiba marked it as to-read
th e book is good
William Aicher
Good if you need to find something about fairies.
Simon
A fun read with good pictures.
Dragonlords Princess
Excellent drawings and descriptions.
C.R. Richards
Excellent Reference Book!
Hannah
Nov 08, 2010 Hannah marked it as to-read
Well I didnt read it yet
Emilee
Using for research
Ashley
real ggood
Mahaleigh
Mahaleigh is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2015
Littlelily
Littlelily marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Elaine Barry
Elaine Barry marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Mary Bronson
Mary Bronson marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Aneesa
Aneesa marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
  • Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia
  • A Complete Guide to Faeries & Magical Beings: Explore the Mystical Realm of the Little People
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • A Witch's Guide To Faery Folk: How to Work With the Elemental World
  • The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries
  • Fairies 101: An Introduction to Connecting, Working, and Healing with the Fairies and Other Elementals
  • Through the Faerie Glass: A Look at the Realm of Unseen and Enchanted Beings
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • Enchantment of the Faerie Realm: Communicate with Nature Spirits & Elementals
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • Meeting the Other Crowd
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • Fantasy Encyclopedia
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • The Faeries' Oracle
Witchcraft Wheel of the Year: Myth and Magic Through the Seasons Spellbound: The Teenage Witch's Wiccan Handbook The Numerology Bible: the Definitive Guide to the Power of Numbers Paganism: A Beginner's Guide (Beginner's Guides)