Start by marking “Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)” as Want to Read:
Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)

Rapture in Death (In Death #4)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  27,290 Ratings  ·  907 Reviews
When the autopsies of three suspicious suicides reveal small burns on the brains of the victims, Eve's investigation turns to the provocative world of virtual reality games--where the same techniques used to create joy and desire could also prompt the mind to become the weapon of its own destruction. J.D. Robb is the pseudonym of author Nora Roberts.
MP3 CD, Unabridged, 9 pages
Published September 2006 by Brilliance Audio (first published October 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Rapture in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rapture in Death

Naked in Death by J.D. RobbGlory in Death by J.D. RobbVengeance in Death by J.D. RobbRapture in Death by J.D. RobbInnocent in Death by J.D. Robb
Best of J.D. Robb
4th out of 31 books — 58 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Host by Stephenie MeyerCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica Roth
Best Sci-Fi/Futuristic Romance
74th out of 1,083 books — 1,174 voters

More lists with this book...

Mo
May 02, 2015 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I'm sorry. It's hard for me. I do love you," she said quietly. "Sometimes it scares me because you're the first. And the only"
He held her there until he was sure he could speak, then eased her back, looked into her eyes "You've changed my life. Become my life." He touched his lips to hers, let the kiss deepen slowly, silkily. "I need you”

I fucking love Roarke.

“She raised her eyes to his. They had both come from misery, she thought, and survived it. They had been drawn together through viole
Duchess Nicole
I loved it, I loved it, I loved it!!!

I was afraid that the romance of the series would slow down now that Eve and Roarke are permanent, but that was sooooooo not the case!!!! If anything, there was an extra dynamic between them that was almost missing before. I suppose it mirrors real life in a way. Marriage is only the beginning of a crazy ass ride. There are higher highs and lower lows than you even knew existed.

Phrynne
Apr 01, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many years since I read this and I had totally forgotten how brilliant it is! It all came back to me as I was reading that this was the book where I originally fell in love with the series. All the comedy between Peabody and Eve - J.D. Robb is SO good at writing dialogue. And all the love between Roarke and Eve - she is also SO good at writing romance:) The last few pages where Eve has that awful panic - tissues please! Oh and Feeney and Galahad and Mira and Mavis and everyone else.
So very, v
Anuradha
Honestly, I may not love them, but these books are so fucking addictive. This was vastly better than the others, though. I think. I might even review it.

Oh, and I know I've been reading smut lately; I'll catch up on the good stuff tomorrow. Because, exams.
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Feb 27, 2015 Jo ★The Book Sloth★ rated it really liked it
Still great but lucked some of the spark of the first 3!

Review to come... maybe!
♥Rachel♥
2.5 Stars

Love all the scenes with Roarke and Eve and the deepening of their bond. Though, I do wish Eve would give just a little more affection and acknowledgement to Roarke. Peabody and Feeny are as always a great support team, and Peabody just cracks me up!

This is the second time in a row where I guessed the killer very early on and it's a little frustrating to go through the whole book with Eve (view spoiler)
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
View on Under the Covers

Starting off with a sexy pic of Roarke again...because I can.
DGandy_V_28Apr11_DH_b

RAPTURE IN DEATH is by far my favourite of the entire series and that’s quite a statement since I loved all the books leading up to this one. There was just something about this book that lured me in from the get-go. In this one, Eve Dallas is happy for a change. This is not to say that she was morbid and depressing in the previous books, but there’s this spark within her that I noticed right away. She’s a w
Lauren
Rapture in Death
4 Stars

A series of suspicious suicides connected to virtual reality goggles has Homicide Lieutenant Eve Dallas racing against time to stop a demented sociopath bent on destroying that which she holds most dear.

A quick and entertaining read despite the predictable mystery.

The theme of the dangers of subliminal messaging and the very real potential for abuse are compelling, and salient in light of the advances in today’s gaming technologies. Robb’s insights are interesting given th
Zoey
Another great instalment of the In Death series with Eve & Rourke. Four down, Thirty something more to go :)
Leah
Okay. So. This is the fourth In Death book. I still absolutely love the series but this one just didn't appeal to me as much as the previous three. Sure, it had its funny parts but I still thought it was a tad bit boring. Which really pisses me off! I just thought that it was really slow, and there were lots of random cases (for example the bombing at the bank) that seemed unnecessary to the story. I guess, all in all, they weren't unnecessary, but they seemed a little bit like filler sections a ...more
Alkyoni

Eve keeps getting questioned about her honeymoon; Mavis is recording a studio album; Roarke is handing away orgasms like nobody’s business and four people with nothing in common are DEAD.

The mystery is the most predictable mystery to end all predictable mysteries since that Cold Case episode where the Butler did it.

Roarke is the most fictional romantic leading man ever written, and I know you guys love him for that but I just can't get over it.

Eve rocks as a character, but even she couldn't sav
Tilly Slaton
Nov 14, 2011 Tilly Slaton rated it really liked it

Roarke and Eve’s honeymoon is cut short by the “self-termination” of one of Roarke’s employees. Mavis catches a break in show business. Odd suicides nudge at Eve, leaving her the only one to believe that there is indeed a connection.

Roarke adores Mavis. She is Eve’s best friend, a loved one to cherish. Hosting parties, exploring investment possibilities, Roarke really will keep you smiling in this book.

Mood altering music and virtual games. Roarke and Eve find themselves in a more than usual exp
MelissaB
Jul 22, 2008 MelissaB rated it really liked it
Good book in the In Death series. I always enjoy seeing more of Roarke and I love when he calls his wife "My Darling Eve". I was a little shocked at what Roarke did in one of the scenes but it wasn't his fault. Very good book!
Jane Lee
This book annoyed me to no end. Don't get me wrong. I love the In Death series as much as I love chocolate ice cream, and I do, so badly. However, this book just disappointed me.

I get the whole subliminal mood/mind control mumbo jumbo. Heck, I even get the machines used to control the mind but this book was just too...ugh. Eve was a disappointment as I expected better from her, or maybe that's just because I've read more than my share of In Death series books (ahead of this one).

I expected her t
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
(Reread April 2016) Another great book in the In Death series! A series of unrelated deaths are occurring and appear to be suicide. Of course, nothing is as it seems in this series. Lt. Eve Dallas knows something is off - she can feel it in her bones as she investigates these deaths. Everyone is telling her to let it go because they are suicides not murders but she just keeps digging, trying to find the common factor between all of them. She finds the common thread - but what does it mean? Where ...more
Carolyn
Jun 12, 2015 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, humour, futuristic
Another great episode in the "In Death" series. Lt Eve Dallas is bothered by a number of unrelated suicides, one a young technician working in one of Roarke's new off-planet resorts where he whisks Eve for the last week of her honeymoon. None of the victims were depressed or thought likely to suicide by friends and family and all were smiling when found. Eve is convinced there is a common link and sets out to find it.

Lots of romance and hot sex in this episode as Roarke and Eve settle in to marr
Ariana Fae
Feb 12, 2016 Ariana Fae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying this series. Roberts/Robb knows how to build wonderful characters that keep you interested. Although Eve Rourke, and Mavis are great, I'm loving Peabody more and more. Her sense of humor and loyalty to Dallas and the way she conveys them in her scenes makes me smile and laugh at times. I also like how Eve is growing in this series by showing her love to Rourke more openly and letting her softer/vulnerable side show with him every now and then. It was interesting how Robb used the n ...more
Elvan
Apr 29, 2015 Elvan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, audiobooks
This one is becoming one of my favourites. I love the whole idea of mind control or should I say protection from mind control. As I listened to this one two things stood out: How I can see echoes of Fantasy in Death issues pop up ie lots of gaming and role playing potential . Ahead of her time once again, JD Robb tapped into what was then the infancy of RPGs.
My other observation is how young Susan Erickson sounds. Her "Eve" giggles occasional and has a much more "feminine" sound than in her late
Kjen
Lots of great moments in this one as well...The infamous mind-control scene, the "Oh, I love you!" moment, and of course, Eve's run to save Roarke from the evil VR goggles. Eve's discomfort with people asking about her honeymoon is so amusing(: Will re-read Chaos and Celebrity next in preparation for the release of Delusion tomorrow!(:
***re-read 9/14***Festive In Death will be coming out soon. How cool is that!?! I'm sure I re-read this more often than I update this review. More moments...Scary,
Glamdring

*3,5 stars*

Even though I guessed who the killer was early in the story, this one is my fav in the series so far. I didn't round up my rating because as it is the case for all the books in this series so far the end was too rushed and it's really getting frustrating.

That being said, gotta love Roarke! <3<3<3
Lisa Kay
Man-oh-man! This series is good - and just keeps getting better. Susan Ericksen does an excellent job of narrating this one. Glad I decided to re-read this series via audiobook. ...more
Elaine
Not the strongest "In Death" book. Of the four In Death books I've read so far, this one has to have been the most boring. The mystery just wasn't very gripping. I don't know if the author just doesn't care how obvious the "mystery" is, or if she just didn't realize that if she introduces 3 new characters, one clearly just an accessory, one who is clearly suspicious, and one that she's going out of her way to make seem suspicious...it's pretty obvious who did it (hint: it's not going to be the g ...more
☆.。.:*・°☆Love2Read♡HEAs☆.。.:*・°☆
4.8 "Mind Controlling" Stars

When I read the blurb, found out this was about Virtual Reality, I was siked. I've always been interested in it. I remember watching a movie about VR and dreams back in the early 80's. It fascinated me but scared the crap outta me as well!!

I think this was outstanding. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was somewhat confusing when reading all about the brain. Freaky too. I mean, be able to control someone's moods & actions seems way far out there. Loved it though.

There's
P.A. Lupton
Dec 17, 2012 P.A. Lupton rated it it was amazing

I feel like I’m repeating the same thing after I read each new book in this series: This was my favorite so far. I loved Rapture In Death. I love Eve. I love Roarke. I even love Mavis and Peabody and all the secondary characters. But mostly, I love Roarke (sorry, it warrants repeating). Again, I chose to listen to the audio version of the book—Karen Erikson is perfect reading this series. She does a fantastic job with her inflection, accents, and overall is just amazing at drawing me into the st
İlkim
İlginç bir kurgu, içimdeki hisler ise gayet doğru. Beyni etkileyen özel bir teknoloji ile kurbanlar intihar etmeye başlıyorlar. En başta bütün olaylar intihar gibi görünse de Eve bit yeniğini seziyor ve eşmeye başlıyor. Neredeyse Roarke ve kendisi de ölümün eşiğine geliyor. Ve bir yerden sonra artık katil sırıtmaya başlıyor. Tam bir sosyopat daha.
Bigd_041555
Dec 18, 2015 Bigd_041555 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
Love this book - it's a fun one (excluding the murders of course). Good character development happening with this one - we learn more about Feeney, Peabody, and of course Mavis - especially when she shares a moment with Eve reminescing about the early days of their friendship.

5 Stars and 2 thumbs up!
Connie N.
#4 in the In Death series

I listened to the audiobook, very capably read by Susan Ericksen. I'm totally in love with this series. Eve Dallas is a strong, tough, even rigid cop. But her intense feelings of love and respect for Roarke, Mavis, and even Feeney and Peabody, soften her and make her extremely likable and approachable. Roarke (read with such a sexy Irish accent by Ericksen) is also strong and in charge, but he's very romantic and sweet. Mavis would probably drive me crazy in real life wi
Edee Fallon
Wow! Another great addition to this fantastic series. I fall more in love with Eve and Roarke with every book. On to book five!
Aly is so frigging bored
Sep 10, 2014 Aly is so frigging bored rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, mistery
4.5*

Damn.. I am so hooked!
Anna Serene
Sooo... it happened again. Is this how it will happen in every book? I mean, it's fun and all but it is the same story over and over again. This time they mixed it up a little bit. Like, by 2%. The whole time I was saying to myself "please don't let this be a red herring please don't let this be a red herring". I lasted longer than usual in this book, but I honestly haven't been wowed since Glory in Death. I don't know if I can read 40 of these. I mean, I wasn't exactly planning to, but still. W ...more
J.D. Robb : Rapture In Death Buddy Read - April 2016 173 45 May 03, 2016 04:02PM
J.D. Robb : Rapture In Death (Spoiler Zone) 32 143 Mar 30, 2016 06:24AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Rapture In Death (Sept. 2013) SPOILER ZONE 407 94 Nov 06, 2014 03:04PM
recommendations. 23 69 Aug 16, 2014 07:54AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #16 - Rapture in Death 1 3 Mar 05, 2014 01:46PM
Readers of Kindle...: Rapture in Death #4 14 22 Mar 08, 2012 12:32PM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Hades
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • Obsidian Prey (Ghost Hunters, #6)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

“Eve: "She had big plans for me. Kind of a pet, I imagine. Like William. Her little trained dog. And with you dead, she figured I'd inherit all your goodies. You're not going to do that to me are you?"
Roarke: "What, die?"
Eve: "Leave me all this stuff."
Roarke: "Only you would be annoyed by that.”
77 likes
“I'm sorry. It's Hard for me. I do love you," she said quietly. "Sometimes it scares me because you're the first. And the only"
He held her there until he was sure he could speak, then eased her back, looked into her eyes "You've chaged my life. Become my life." He touched his lips to hers, let the kiss deepen slowly, silkily. "I need you”
39 likes