Start by marking “Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)” as Want to Read:
Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)

Rapture in Death (In Death #4)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  21,659 ratings  ·  698 reviews
1 MP3-CD / 9 hours

When the autopsies of three suspicious suicides reveal small burns on the brains of the victims, Eve's investigation turns to the provocative world of virtual reality games--where the same techniques used to create joy and desire could also prompt the mind to become the weapon of its own destruction. J.D. Robb is the pseudonym of author Nora Roberts.
Audio CD, Unabridged, 9 pages
Published September 2006 by Brilliance Audio (first published October 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Rapture in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rapture in Death

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Host by Stephenie MeyerCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsFinders Keepers by Linnea Sinclair
Best Sci-Fi/Futuristic Romance
78th out of 896 books — 992 voters
Naked in Death by J.D. RobbGlory in Death by J.D. RobbVengeance in Death by J.D. RobbPortrait in Death by J.D. RobbImmortal in Death by J.D. Robb
Best of J.D. Robb
6th out of 36 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Duchess Nicole
I loved it, I loved it, I loved it!!!

I was afraid that the romance of the series would slow down now that Eve and Roarke are permanent, but that was sooooooo not the case!!!! If anything, there was an extra dynamic between them that was almost missing before. I suppose it mirrors real life in a way. Marriage is only the beginning of a crazy ass ride. There are higher highs and lower lows than you even knew existed.

♥Rachel♥
2.5 Stars

Love all the scenes with Roarke and Eve and the deepening of their bond. Though, I do wish Eve would give just a little more affection and acknowledgement to Roarke. Peabody and Feeny are as always a great support team, and Peabody just cracks me up!

This is the second time in a row where I guessed the killer very early on and it's a little frustrating to go through the whole book with Eve (view spoiler)
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
View on Under the Covers

Starting off with a sexy pic of Roarke again...because I can.
DGandy_V_28Apr11_DH_b

RAPTURE IN DEATH is by far my favourite of the entire series and that’s quite a statement since I loved all the books leading up to this one. There was just something about this book that lured me in from the get-go. In this one, Eve Dallas is happy for a change. This is not to say that she was morbid and depressing in the previous books, but there’s this spark within her that I noticed right away. She’s a w
Leah
Okay. So. This is the fourth In Death book. I still absolutely love the series but this one just didn't appeal to me as much as the previous three. Sure, it had its funny parts but I still thought it was a tad bit boring. Which really pisses me off! I just thought that it was really slow, and there were lots of random cases (for example the bombing at the bank) that seemed unnecessary to the story. I guess, all in all, they weren't unnecessary, but they seemed a little bit like filler sections a ...more
Alkyoni

Eve keeps getting questioned about her honeymoon; Mavis is recording a studio album; Roarke is handing away orgasms like nobody’s business and four people with nothing in common are DEAD.

The mystery is the most predictable mystery to end all predictable mysteries since that Cold Case episode where the Butler did it.

Roarke is the most fictional romantic leading man ever written, and I know you guys love him for that but I just can't get over it.

Eve rocks as a character, but even she couldn't sav
Tilly Slaton

Roarke and Eve’s honeymoon is cut short by the “self-termination” of one of Roarke’s employees. Mavis catches a break in show business. Odd suicides nudge at Eve, leaving her the only one to believe that there is indeed a connection.

Roarke adores Mavis. She is Eve’s best friend, a loved one to cherish. Hosting parties, exploring investment possibilities, Roarke really will keep you smiling in this book.

Mood altering music and virtual games. Roarke and Eve find themselves in a more than usual exp
MelissaB
Good book in the In Death series. I always enjoy seeing more of Roarke and I love when he calls his wife "My Darling Eve". I was a little shocked at what Roarke did in one of the scenes but it wasn't his fault. Very good book!
Jane Lee
This book annoyed me to no end. Don't get me wrong. I love the In Death series as much as I love chocolate ice cream, and I do, so badly. However, this book just disappointed me.

I get the whole subliminal mood/mind control mumbo jumbo. Heck, I even get the machines used to control the mind but this book was just too...ugh. Eve was a disappointment as I expected better from her, or maybe that's just because I've read more than my share of In Death series books (ahead of this one).

I expected her t
P.A. Lupton

I feel like I’m repeating the same thing after I read each new book in this series: This was my favorite so far. I loved Rapture In Death. I love Eve. I love Roarke. I even love Mavis and Peabody and all the secondary characters. But mostly, I love Roarke (sorry, it warrants repeating). Again, I chose to listen to the audio version of the book—Karen Erikson is perfect reading this series. She does a fantastic job with her inflection, accents, and overall is just amazing at drawing me into the st
Glamdring

*3,5 stars*

Even though I guessed who the killer was early in the story, this one is my fav in the series so far. I didn't round up my rating because as it is the case for all the books in this series so far the end was too rushed and it's really getting frustrating.

That being said, gotta love Roarke! <3<3<3
Kjen
Lots of great moments in this one as well...The infamous mind-control scene, the "Oh, I love you!" moment, and of course, Eve's run to save Roarke from the evil VR goggles. Eve's discomfort with people asking about her honeymoon is so amusing(: Will re-read Chaos and Celebrity next in preparation for the release of Delusion tomorrow!(:
***re-read 9/14***Festive In Death will be coming out soon. How cool is that!?! I'm sure I re-read this more often than I update this review. More moments...Scary,
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ Man-oh-man! This series is good - and just keeps getting better. Susan Ericksen does an excellent job of narrating this one. Glad I decided to re-read this series via audiobook.
Aly is so frigging bored
4.5*

Damn.. I am so hooked!
Mojca
This was, IMO, the weakest of the first four books in the series. It started rather slow, dragging its feet, it picked up pace only somewhere in the middle, once again slowed down, and rushed to the finish in those last few pages.

The biggest problem with me was the “lack of romance” between Eve and Roarke. What there was of it seemed lackluster compared to the previous books. Sure, they’re a married couple now, but that doesn’t mean romance is dead, now, does it?

The second problem was the predic
Jacob Proffitt
I found myself annoyed in the first quarter of this book, though I'm not sure exactly why. I think it's because I dislike the premise behind controlling someone (even to the point of self-destruction) by some kind of brain manipulation. Towards the middle, I found myself annoyed because everybody seemed to be stuck on despair as the sole motivator for suicide—even in the face of direct evidence to the contrary. By the mid-point (or shortly thereafter), my annoyances faded and I finished on a rel ...more
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK: FEBRUARY 9, 2014 - 4 STARS

After a rather horrendous period in RL which ended in me finishing this audiobook in the A&E dept of my local hospital last night, I've come to the conclusion that JD Robb's In Death series are now my comfort reads.

I'm slowly, but steadily, making my way through the audiobook versions and am waiting for Concealed in Death to be released at Audible.com even though it's #38 and I'm only at #4.

THE STORY: A reviewer remarked on the formulaic nature
MountainKat
*4+ Stars*

When I started the audio of this I heaved a great big sigh of relief and joy. Oh goodie, a narrator who adds to the telling of the story!! And gives the characters depth and personality! What a wonderful experience! I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks where the narrator has a nice voice, but does a completely flat reading and adds absolutely nothing to the telling of the story. That is not what you get with this one!

I love Eve and Roarke! It was great to see the depth of Eve's e
Crazy4more
4.5 stars.

Hmm, this is how I'm going to rate In Death series. Personal plot and professional plot. There is the hotness btwn Eve & Roarke and then Eve as a cop.

I'm impressed with murder case. This crime was harder to figure out than the previous cases. OK, I had the wrong person pinned. Eve hitting walls after walls was frustrating, very convincing and reinterated what a dedicated cop she is.

On "personal" plot, I love all the characters involved in Eve's life. Let's not even go into how goo
rameau
I finished reading this book a couple of hours ago and it’s already wiped from my memory. There was space travel and video games. Maybe. The culprit was my second guess. As for the mental fuckery that happened here, oh boy.

I don’t know if it’s because of the format or by choice but, although Roberts has great ideas but she never fully explores them. Everything was wrapped a bit too easily and quickly because the author tried to keep the secret until the final pages. I’m hoping Roarke’s involunt
Angela
21 August 2014: $1.99 on Kindle - The first four books are on sale for $1.99 each.

I've read up through book 12 (there are almost 40? stories in this series now), and I have some serious issues with Eve (the MC) and even occasionally with Roarke (hides from mobs with pitchforks)

....I should review these are some point.

But this is a hugely popular series, and I admit that the futuristic world is pretty well done. The mysteries are sometimes really good, sometimes not so good.
Edee Fallon
Wow! Another great addition to this fantastic series. I fall more in love with Eve and Roarke with every book. On to book five!
Tara
I just can'y help myself, I really enjoy these books and they are so handy to listen to when I'm attempting to do other things like, drive, cook and work on a baby blanket for a friend.

Anyway, another winner mystery. Eve and Rourke are just finishing their honeymoon and Even ends up investigating a series of suicides. Officer Peabody plays a bigger part which is awesome because she's cool. I'm still not a Mavis fan.

I'm getting really good at picking out the killer but not how or why.
Célia
Rapture in Death é já o quarto volume da série In Death, protagonizada pela tenente Eve Dallas, que decorre na Nova Iorque do ano 2058. À semelhança dos livros anteriores, temos aqui uma narrativa em que o caso policial vai sendo entrelaçado com a vida pessoal de Eve, nomeadamente as suas relações de amor e amizade.

Desta vez, vários casos de aparente suicídio vão surgindo e, apesar de tudo apontar que de facto se tenha tratado de suicídios, Eve suspeita que há algo mais e começa a procurar relaç
İlkim
İlginç bir kurgu, içimdeki hisler ise gayet doğru. Beyni etkileyen özel bir teknoloji ile kurbanlar intihar etmeye başlıyorlar. En başta bütün olaylar intihar gibi görünse de Eve bit yeniğini seziyor ve eşmeye başlıyor. Neredeyse Roarke ve kendisi de ölümün eşiğine geliyor. Ve bir yerden sonra artık katil sırıtmaya başlıyor. Tam bir sosyopat daha.
Bigd_041555
Love this book - it's a fun one (excluding the murders of course). Good character development happening with this one - we learn more about Feeney, Peabody, and of course Mavis - especially when she shares a moment with Eve reminescing about the early days of their friendship.

5 Stars and 2 thumbs up! On to Ceremony in Death!
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Lieutenant Eve Dallas is on her honeymoon with Roarke off-planet but death doesn't take a holiday for no one. Death leaves the victim with expression of happiness that is very unsettling. Once Eve and Roarke are planet side again, both of them return to their hectic schedules. Eve is confronted with two more apparent suicides that are similar to the case off-planet. Eve meets one of Roarke's R&D personnel Dr. Reeanna Ott with interesting views on nature versus nurture. Eve's alittle put off ...more
Sheila
Eve and Roarke are settling down to married life. While on their honeymoon a tech working for Roarke's company commits suicide. A lawyer who is a thorn in Eve's side also self-terminates. Even the head of a media empire commits suicide as Eve tries to save her. It is up to Eve to convince the commander that these are related and are murder, not suicide. When Eve does discover what is happening, she needs to make sure that Roarke is safe.

I liked that Eve is becoming more approachable to Roarke an
David Pimenta
Êxtase Mortal é o quarto volume da Série Mortal e foi o primeiro livro que li de Nora Roberts sob o pseudónimo J. D. Robb. Fiz mal em ter começado a ler esta saga no quarto volume porque fiquei com a sensação de que os volumes anteriores poderiam explicar com mais pormenor as personagens e como não tinha conhecimento do relacionamento entre Eve e Roarke antes de serem casados um com o outro fiquei com curiosidade de ler esta saga desde o inicio (ai, o meu dinheiro).
Para quem não sabe, Série Mort
(Kelly)~Got Fiction?~ Oakes
The plot in this book was truly scary. Even the remote possibility of another person being able to control you, to alter your actions at their whim. Impossible? or not?

Rjork and Eve are enjoying a blissful escape on their off-planet honeymoon. Taking in all the sites and apparently all the different locations one can make love when just getting married. But like always, life just wouldn't be Eve's without the small interuption of death or murder. A minor set back of suicide mars the end of their
Ren
Dibuka dengan adegan honeymoon langka yang bikin aww, aww, aww...=))
Jadi pengen banget kayak Eve. Mungkin kalo gw dinikahin Roarke, udah berasa mampir surga kali yak. Ni cowo emang super duper keren abis pokoknya.

Lalu kemunculan mantan Roarke, yang super bitchy, dan bikin pembaca aww, aww, aww (pengen nyekek maksudnya :)))

Rapture in Death melanjutkan event di Immortal in Death, dimana adegan terakhir adalah adegan pernikahan Eve dan Roarke yang sayangnya tidak dijabarkan secara lanjut. Saat bula
J.D. Robb : Rapture In Death (Spoiler Zone) 25 81 Nov 07, 2014 01:52PM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Rapture In Death (Sept. 2013) SPOILER ZONE 407 90 Nov 06, 2014 03:04PM
recommendations. 23 60 Aug 16, 2014 07:54AM
Readers of Kindle...: Rapture in Death #4 14 21 Mar 08, 2012 12:32PM
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Sacred Sins (SS/BV, #1)
  • Fade (In the company of shadows, #4)
  • Fish & Chips (Cut & Run, #3)
  • Now You See Her
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline.
More about J.D. Robb...
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Promises in Death (In Death, #28)

“Eve: "She had big plans for me. Kind of a pet, I imagine. Like William. Her little trained dog. And with you dead, she figured I'd inherit all your goodies. You're not going to do that to me are you?"
Roarke: "What, die?"
Eve: "Leave me all this stuff."
Roarke: "Only you would be annoyed by that.”
65 likes
“I'm sorry. It's Hard for me. I do love you," she said quietly. "Sometimes it scares me because you're the first. And the only"
He held her there until he was sure he could speak, then eased her back, looked into her eyes "You've chaged my life. Become my life." He touched his lips to hers, let the kiss deepen slowly, silkily. "I need you”
33 likes