Monster Mama

Monster Mama

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Philomel Books. NY. 1993. First edition, first printing (full number line). "First Impression" stated. No markings or names inside or out. Pictorial boards-match dj. Navy blue endpapers. Book-fine. Original, unclipped dj ($14.95). Dj has very light edgewear, else fine. Dj-VG+. In archival protector. To Patrick Edward, his mother is the best mother in the world, even if she...more
Published March 24th 1993 by Philomel (first published 1993)

Ronyell
Imagine that your mother was actually a terrifying monster that scares anyone who comes across her, but you still love your mother anyway because, she is your mother! That is what happens in this story called “Monster Mama” which was written by Liz Rosenberg along with illustrations by Stephen Gammell and children everywhere will definitely enjoy reading this book about loving your parents for who they are.

Patrick Edward was a young boy who was extremely wonderful, but his mother is a monster an...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
May 06, 2012 Greta is Erikasbuddy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: The older little one
Recommended to Greta is Erikasbuddy by: Ronyell
A beautiful children's book about a little boy who has a special kind of mama.

A Monster Mama!!

Monster Mama is indeed that... A monster! She lives in a cave at the back of the house and teaches her little boy how to do magic and roar.

But Patrick Edward isn't a monster. He just has a one as his Mama.

One day Mama tells Patrick Edward to go pick up some desert from the market. On the way he gets bullied by three mean kids. Monster Mama hears this from her cave and runs down there to make things righ...more
Heartbreakdiet06

Love this book and think it is a children's classic. I agree it's too scary for a 2 year old but my 5 year old adores it and she's very sensitive to scary stuff. I DO think it's hilarious and warm and cozy and all those things the back cover claims. It's a crime this book is out of print. I've never found anything quite like it to tell about the love between parents and children. Yes, you can read it as a parable for mothers who are different for any number of reasons-- being single, or handicap...more
Samantha Penrose
Awesome illustrations!
Touching and Strange.
There are no notes in the book, but when I began reading it I immediately wondered if it had been written by someone who has been affected in some way by a bipolar disorder, manic depression, or some other up down and all around mental illness.
I don't think that the reviews on the back cover are very accurate. Words like "hilarious", "cozy", and "tender" (from three different blurbs) don't really seem to fit in my eyes.....words that come to my mind ar...more
Randie
Patrick Edward's mother has bad moods, unpredictable behavior, and lives at the back of the house in a cave...she is a "monster mama". But even with her bad moods, she has the sweetest touch, great advice, and she loves Patrick Edward very much. One day, Patrick Edward goes into town to buy supplies for a sweet dessert but he is stopped by three horrible bullies. Will his mother's advice help him? Can his monster mama protect him?

This book has a great message and can be used to simply tell a sto...more
Nicole
Dec 17, 2007 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people who like kids books and people who don't.
This is one of the best picture books that I have ever read. Ever. It's one of the few picture books that honestly addresses what it's like to have a parent who isn't perfect. And maybe way less than perfect. I've given it to adults and read it with kids, and everyone likes it. I appreciate picture books with a bit of reality -- even if it's fantastical reality. The art is dark and messy and lovely.
Mischa
I will never stop reading or buying childrens books. Now that I have a Niece I have an "excuse", but it really just means I have to buy TWO :-) This book has amazing illustrations and the proclamation "Death to all Tyrants!"... really... couldn't be better!
Claire
Glorious illustrations. Warm story of maternal love and what a wonderful support that is for a child and how it colors the child's interactions in the world. Kids love the surprising twists in this story as much as the adult who reads it to them.
Teresa
Jul 16, 2007 Teresa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: parents of young children
This was one of my favorite books to read to my son. It tells the story of a mother who is not perfect, but loves her child.
Karen
The art is unique and the story is captivating. Great quotable dialogue from the protagonist.
Michele
One of my favorite illustrators. Beautiful, colorful, wild book about a mother and son's love.
Jenny
GREAT illustrations and an all-time family favorite
Neda
best book of all time.
This is not your average Hallmark feel good children's book. That's exactly why I like it so much. The illustrations, while gorgeous, are a little uncomfortable. A loving mother who prefers to stay hidden at the back of the house than converse with other parents? Sounds like my kind of parenting style. My kids were drawn to this book and we read it over and over again.
Jan Arrick
When my granddaughter was just a little girl, she loved Monster Momma. We would read it over and over. When she moved to Virginia I recorded it and sent it to her so she could not only hear my voice, but the beloved story. Now she is grown and looking forward to teaching young children. I'm sure this will be one of the books in her own "library". It is a wonderful story about a young boy, his love for his mother, and how she shows bullies it's not always what you see on the outside that counts.....more
Dolly
May 25, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a strange story about a little boy with a monster mama. She literally is a monster in this tale, although perhaps it could stand as a metaphor for a woman with a disfigurement, a terrible disease, a phobia, mental illness or even an addiction that keeps her homebound. The two obviously care greatly for one another and defend each other from taunts and bullies. The story is pretty good, but I wasn't a big fan of the illustrations. We enjoyed reading this story together and I had fun prete...more
Erika
Unusual allegory for a kid’s picture book: a child’s relationship with an “impaired” parent. In this case an actual monster mama who doesn’t like to leave the cave in the back of the house. The boy in the story looks small for his age, but he’s independent, resourceful and resilient. Fun and fierce. A picture book w/ bright colors, drips and splatters. Not for very young or easily frightened kids. Could generate some interesting questions. My 4yo nephew requested this book over and over on his l...more
Vsw
This book is about a boy whose mom is a monster in the best possible sense. She's disheveled and interesting and passionately loves and protects her son.

I picked the book up when the cover caught my eye. All of the illustrations in the book are vivid watercolors with splashes and slashes of paint that fit the mood of the story. I also love that this book is quirky and doesn't have a hint of predictable "then his mother talked to the boys and they all became friends" to it.
Katie
If you couldn't tell, I'm big on illustrations in books. If I don't like the pictures I could careless what the story is about. I guess I'm kind of like a little kid in that aspect. This book has beautiful pictures, carrying from page to page; of a little boy and his monster mother. Let's just say she taught him well, becuase when she sent him how for strawberries for dessert a group of bullies learned to never pick on him again.
Malika J.
This book is so wonderful. The boy loves and supports his mother, even though she is a monster. This book could be really helpful for children with family issues to remind them that even though some bad stuff might happen, their parents still love them. The illustrations in the book are really beautiful and can be used to illustrate some different art techniques.
Sheri
The third grade students I read this to didn't care for the story as much and the illustrations were not cute or endearing. But helped get across the description of monsters and different kinds. The child is taught by his mama to stand up to bullies and does.
Meredith
this is a picture book with some depth to it, the kind of book that sticks in your memory and ripens with age. it presents a whole view of mothering and the beautiful nurturing that real, imperfect mothers can provide for their children.
Michelle Brandstetter
EL Skills - Print motivation, vocabulary, phonological awareness & narrative skills. Activities - Read, talk, & tell your friends not to make your mom mad. Wouldn't it be cool if it were true?!
Allison
This book talks about the love between a mom and their child. This could be read when talking about families, because it puts a fun spin on typical family books (since the mom is a monster).
Heather
36 months - I'm on the fence with this one. Wow does this ever speak about mental illness to me. From that perspective it's very interesting but my daughter wasn't really into it.
Betty Brooks
A terrific book by a great author/illustrator team. Very touching book about mothers and children, about bullies and bravery and loyalty. Funny and lovely, this one endures.
Katherine
A really great book with creative illustrations. This book is great for teaching conflicts or teaching about how your family loves your regardless of who they are or who you are!
Carmen
If judging on illustrations alone, I would give this 5 stars. I love Steven Gammel and this is one of his best, in my opinion. But I didn't care for the story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Babushka Baba Yaga
  • Mice Twice
  • My Monster Mama Loves Me So
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • A Remainder of One
  • Strega Nona Meets Her Match
  • The Biggest Pumpkin Ever
  • I Need My Monster
  • The Sissy Duckling
Liz Rosenberg is an American poet, novelist, children's book author, and book reviewer. She is currently a professor of English at Binghamton University.
More about Liz Rosenberg...
The Laws of Gravity Home Repair Tyrannosaurus Dad I Just Hope It's Lethal: Poems of Sadness, Madness, and Joy Nobody