Start by marking “How Big Is Your God?: The Freedom to Experience the Divine” as Want to Read:
How Big Is Your God?: The Freedom to Experience the Divine

How Big Is Your God?: The Freedom to Experience the Divine

Do you have a real relationship with God, or do you just have a religion? Do you know God, or do you just know about God? In How Big Is Your God? Paul Coutinho, SJ, challenges us to grow stronger and deeper in our faith and in our relationship with God—a God whose love knows no bounds. To help us on our way, Coutinho introduces us to people invarious world religions—from H ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Loyola Press (first published September 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about How Big Is Your God?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Big Is Your God?

Wanda
Oct 02, 2008 Wanda rated it really liked it
Coutinho is an interesting author. As he says in the "Author's Note" he is Catholic, a Jesuit and he comes from India. He explains that India already had a rich religious tradition before the Jesuits converted them to Catholicism and that "we were baptized but not really converted. This is why many Catholic Indians, like me [the author], express our Christianity a little differently from others."

While I don't think I agree with everything Coutinho says in this book, I very much enjoyed reading h
Kevin
May 05, 2008 Kevin rated it liked it
How Big Is Your God? walks a fine line between new age psychobabble and useful exploration of spirituality. Written by a Jesuit priest who raised in India, it is a mix of Eastern Religious experiences, Ignatian spirituality, and psychology. Coutinho also brings an interest in Christian mysticism to the mix.

As a rather orthodox Protestant Christian I have to say I found the exercise somewhat problematic. I certainly wouldn't give this book to a new Christian or someone not grounded in the faith.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Generally I do my best to be positive and try to appreciate different viewpoints, no matter how liberal they might get. But what got me about this book is the fact that is printed by a Jesuit spirituality center. I expected it to be God-centered but it was not. It ventures to state that God doesn't interfere or intervene in our lives. Granted, the Lord doesn't interfere and He respects the laws of physics, biology, etc. which He Himself has made. But He is also the God of Providence: He is a God ...more
Sarah Sammis
Dec 30, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it it was ok
Shelves: released, review-copy
Paul Coutinho, SJ, an Indian Jesuit priest offers in this slim volume ways for Christians to enrich their lives through new understandings of the divine. Coutinho draws on his understanding of Eastern beliefs to expand upon Western practices of religion. As a Jesuit, many of his examples and questions to readers come from the teachings of St. Ignatius.

The central theme of How Big is Your God? is to experience life, rather than strictly following the rules of tradition. He gives examples of the m
Karen
May 13, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I have never spent so long reading such a short book! I started this book in the winter and finished in the spring! The book has short chapters focusing on different topics and is written by a Catholic priest in India. The reason it took so long to read was that each chapter presented so much for me to think and meditate on. I could easily spend a week on a single chapter and I believe I did! Overall, I really enjoyed this book for the ideas presented but also the inspiration it gave me to ...more
Crissy Voyles
Oct 03, 2014 Crissy Voyles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This is a great book to use as devotions. The chapters are short, and really make you think about how you live and the choices that you make. I purchased this book in hard copy after hearing the author speak at a local church the year I participated as an RCIA sponsor, and immediately got the Kindle version after I got a Kindle. I absolutely love this book, and re-read it occasionally. I learn something new every time.
Karen
Apr 13, 2009 Karen rated it did not like it
(see below) I didn't up reading one chapter a day for Lent. I have been reading this over the past few days but have just aborted it. I didn't end up appreciating it -- I tend to dislike books which have short and pithy little inspirational chapters. I finally stopped for good after chapter 29 about the enslaving illusion of familial love. It actually repelled me.

Gonna read one chapter a day (very small chapters, all 44 of them) for my Lent read.
Lisa
Sep 13, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a few years ago, and it still stands out in my mind today.
I really enjoyed the exploration of faith in this book. It changed me in a good way.
This isn't a book I devoured quickly. I took my time with it, thinking about how I felt with each chapter, and letting each chapter settle into my being a bit before moving on to the next.
It was a spiritual awakening for me.
Patti Clement
Wonderful book written by one of my favorite Ignatian spirituality authors and speakers! He really helps one to move from practicing our faith in our heads to experiencing it in our hearts. He uses lots of humor and gets his readers to consider questions about who God is and how we can be in relationship with God beyond anything we have ever imagined.

I couldn't put this book down.
Steve Gambino
Nov 14, 2014 Steve Gambino rated it really liked it
What I liked most was the author's integration of Eastern and Western mysticism. I find his both/and approach to spirituality very refreshing. He is a very good speaker too if you ever happen to be in a location where he is making a presentation.
Alane
Apr 13, 2008 Alane rated it really liked it
Very good book for theists of Christian background looking for depth in their view of the Divine. Didn't watch the DVD but heard it was really good.
Farfoff
Jan 09, 2010 Farfoff rated it really liked it
When Jesus walked the earth, he was not trying to create a new religion, he wanted us to experience the Divine.
John Douglas
Nov 05, 2013 John Douglas rated it it was amazing
A great read, refreshing, reflective and above all renewing - has a great short DVD of the author speaking to retreat group on the "heart ideas of the work" . . .
Joan
Sep 02, 2013 Joan rated it it was amazing
Author is Ignatian Priest/scholar who brings an Easteern influence to Western spirituality. Will encourage you to rethink any limited ideas of God.
Celina
Celina rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
Nick Senger
Nick Senger rated it really liked it
May 14, 2014
Cathy Witczak
Cathy Witczak rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Lourdes Grande
Lourdes Grande rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2014
Olivia Oliveira
Olivia Oliveira rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Rosanne
Rosanne rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Heather Heling
Heather Heling rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Greg Lontok
Greg Lontok rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2010
Diane
Jan 15, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing
The most profoundly simple but simply profound book I've read.
Patti
Patti rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2013
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2011
Felipe
Felipe rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Angela Crosland
Angela Crosland rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Kathleen
Apr 05, 2011 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Great expanding ideas and stories to deepen idea/relationship with the God that works for you.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Big Book of Christian Mysticism: The Essential Guide to Contemplative Spirituality
  • Morning and Evening Prayers for All Days of the Week Together With Confessional, Communion, and Other Prayers and Hymns for Mornings and Evenings, and Other Occasions
  • The Beauty of Christ through Brokenness
  • The Shattered Lantern: Rediscovering a Felt Presence of God
  • Meditations with Meister Eckhart
  • Punk Monk: New Monasticism and the Ancient Art of Breathing
  • The Pastor as Minor Poet: Texts and Subtexts in the Ministerial Life
  • This Tremendous Lover
  • Sermons of Meister Eckhart
  • Catherine of Siena: The Dialogue (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Extreme Devotion
  • All about Jesus: The Single Story from Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John
  • The Church of Mercy
  • The Confession of Saint Patrick
  • The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments and Other Rites and Ceremonies of the Church
  • Praying Our Goodbyes
  • The Fulfillment of All Desire: A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints
  • Virtue and Vice: A Dictionary of the Good Life