Start by marking “Facing the Frozen Ocean: One Man's Dream to Lead a Team Across the Treacherous North Atlantic” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Five British men in an open, rigid inflatable boat fighting for their lives in perhaps the most dangerous and unpredictable seas in the world. The compelling account of the most recent adventure of the bestselling author of Facing Up. It started out as a carefully calculated attempt to complete the first unassisted crossing of the frozen north Atlantic in a rigid inflatabl ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Pan Publishing (first published April 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Facing the Frozen Ocean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facing the Frozen Ocean

Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerUnbroken by Laura HillenbrandEndurance by Alfred LansingAdrift by Steven CallahanTouching the Void by Joe Simpson
Best True Survival Stories
83rd out of 160 books — 277 voters
In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton SidesThe Endurance by Caroline AlexanderAlaska by James A. MichenerEndurance by Alfred LansingThe Voyage of the Narwhal by Andrea Barrett
North and South Poles
51st out of 74 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

David
This is the story about Bear Grylls, a famous British survival adventurer and his dream of crossing the treacherous north Atlantic in a open inflatable boat.
As you start to read this book, you feel like you are one of the men in the mission. Bear Grylls tells his true story with such passion that you feel you are with him in that small little boat as waves keep on hitting your face. It is truly an incredible account of what humans can achieve and how humble we are compared to nature. It is a pag
Tara
This book takes you from Bear's original thought "can a Rigid Inflatable Boat cross the Arctic without backup?" Though the journey of creating such a boat, obtaining sponsorship, and selecting his team. To the page turning ups and downs (literally) of the crossing itself.
Bear is very honest with himself and this honesty make him very endearing, he is loyal to his friends/team, he always speaks positively about all the people he meets. But for me the most impacting statement was how he realised h
Lara
I'm sorry, but I love Bear Grylls!

Now that that is out of the way, I'll also say that this journey sounds absolutely horrible. A quote from Charlie:

"People still ask me what it was like on the ocean, and the best I can do is say that it was like parking an open-topped people-carrier in a car wash, and living in it for two weeks with four other men, during an earthquake, in sub-zero temperatures." (people-carrier = minivan, btw)

Delightful, yes?

Anyway, it's an adventure story and a survival story
Jean Marie Davis
Yeah, so it's not the best adventure book I've ever read. Even as huge a Bear Grylls fan as I am, I was still happy when it was over. A bit meandering... a bit sanctimonious. But then again, it IS a memoir and you're allowed those types of liberties in what is essentially your diary mass marketed for public consumption.

I'm not sorry I read it and I did read the entire book but I'm happy to be moving on.

If I had to rank it with other adventure books, I'd put Alive! in the number 1 spot followed
Bill
I love "Man vs. Wild". Bear Grylls says it's ok to be lost: as long as you know how to get water from elephant dung;) This book predates M vs.W by about 5 years. This is a autobiographical account of his trans-arctic journey in a raft....a raft on steriods but a raft nonetheless. Bear waxes poetic as he and his crew battle rough seas that destroy ships triple his boat's size. A must read read for manly survival freaks....now I'm off to see if our new duvet cover fits.
Catherine
As an ardent fan of Man vs. Wild, how could I NOT read this book? I couldn't put it down! The things that Mother Nature put in front of Bear and his crew stressed me to the point that if I didn't already know that he survived, I don't know if I could finished the book. I don't know how he survived...I suppose by the grace of God and the seat of his pants. Great read for those who like adventure and the Great Outdoors.
Dave
Bear Grylls is my hero. This is the 2nd book of his that I have read and I flew through it. Extremely well-written. He really makes you feel like you're there with him experiencing the emotions of a violent storm at sea. Wow. Why this guy does stuff like this is beyond me, but I'm glad he does because I get to experience it through his books without having to actually be there. Highly recommended book.
Ginni Brinkley
I read this almost straight after 'Facing up' and liked it even more. Bear and his friends clearly went through a dreadful ordeal in the freezing seas around the Arctic, which was described in great detail. I found myself even more taken up in this one than in the narration of Bear's climb up Everest. I also really appreciated the times Bear talked about his faith. Loved it.
Paul Clarkson
This is a easy to read account of Bear Grylls successful attempt to cross the North Atlantic in an RIB.[return][return]Grylls is honest and at times vulnerable about the expedition. [return][return]This book is also about leadership. Not in the 'traditional' leadership style but in a reflective and thought provoking way.
Walk
It would be a mistake too muddle up Bear Grylls the TV product with the author of this book.

A much more considered and thoughtful man comes across on the written page than does the one squeezing water out of elephant faeces on the TV.

As long as you don't ask yourself "why bother" this is an interesting adventure yarn.
Donald
Bear seems like a genuinely nice guy. However, this "adventure" seems a little forced and artificial. I don't doubt that what they did was dangerous, but it felt pointless.
Tracey
An exciting and somewhat scary read based on a true story. I admire Bear Grylls immensely as I would never be able to do it!
Zabetta Camilleri
a great adventure

reminds you to get off your butt and do something interesting every now and again
Paula
An interesting account of Bear Grylls and his team as they take on a north atlantic crossing in an open boat.
Jmurray
Bear Grylls is awesome. I hope he becomes the king of england some day.
Rob
If you like Bear Grylls and adventure, you'll like this book.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Harshad Riswadkar
Harshad Riswadkar marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Kevin Shen
Kevin Shen marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Kaique Geovane
Kaique Geovane marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Daniel Eikeland
Daniel Eikeland marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
  • The Heart of the Antarctic: The Farthest South Expedition 1907-1909
  • Fatal Forecast: An Incredible True Tale of Disaster and Survival at Sea
  • Madonna
  • Shackleton's Journey
Every year the death toll on Mount Everest rises, and for every ten mountaineers who make it to the top, one will die. Yet at 7:22AM on May 26th 1998, Bear Grylls entered The Guinness Book of Records as the youngest, and one of only around thirty, British climbers to have successfully climbed Everest and returned alive. He was only 23 years old.

The actual ascent took Bear over ninety days of extre
More about Bear Grylls...
Mud, Sweat and Tears The Kid Who Climbed Everest: The Incredible Story of a 23-Year-Old's Summit of Mt. Everest Facing Up: A Remarkable Journey to the Summit of Mount Everest A Survival Guide for Life: How to Achieve Your Goals, Thrive in Adversity, and Grow in Character Man vs. Wild: Survival Techniques from the Most Dangerous Places on Earth