Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV

The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV (The Berenstain Bears)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  11,158 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
When Mama Bear decides her family spends too much time in front of the TV, she bans it for a week. Then the Bear family finds other ways to have fun and keep busy, so they watch less when TV is allowed again--and they don't even miss it.
Published April 12th 1984 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV

Aidan
Mar 30, 2009 Aidan rated it it was amazing
Papa Bear wouldn't stop watching TV. At the end, he watched the fish jump and tv. It was very very very very very very funny!
Joy
May 10, 2010 Joy rated it it was ok
When the TV is on
All day without rest,
Mama knows it's too much
And Mama Knows best.

Mama decides that the family is watching too much TV and decides to have a week without TV.

Papa Bear seems to have a problem with this and keeps trying to sneak in some TV. My husband pointed out that Mama Bear shouldn't have imposed the no TV rule on Papa Bear unless he was willing to consent to it considering he's the head of the household. At the very least, the "no TV" restriction should have been discussed bet
Thomas
Feb 15, 2009 Thomas rated it it was amazing
"Don't watch too much television."
Mark
Dec 02, 2009 Mark rated it it was amazing
Life-changing. Kill your television.
VampireNovelFan
Apr 13, 2011 VampireNovelFan rated it really liked it
I think there's a very good reason that this book series has spanned decades and maintained popularity. It gives children the chance to think on their own and make their own choices for behaviors that carry over into their adult lives. Many of these issues will be ones that will persist through their lives, just on different levels of course.

I know I still have times when I watch a lot of television and start to wonder if I'm becoming a couch potato. Books like these at least make me *think* abo
Dolly
Apr 11, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
A great idea! No TV for an entire week. The Bear family watches way too much TV and our household is very similar to theirs in this regard; now we just have to convince "Papa Bear" to go without for a whole week. Hmmmm... In any case, it's a great reminder of all the many things you can do without the boob tube on.
Nick
Jun 16, 2016 Nick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
The great thing about all the Berenstain Bear books is that they are topical and timely, no matter what age your child is when reading them. Too much TV is something my wife and I have both relayed to our little one lately, so once she saw the effects it had on Sister and Brother bear, it made it a little easier for us to deliver the message. It also didn't hurt to have the weather turn nice.
Bethany Dirksen
Sep 10, 2008 Bethany Dirksen rated it it was amazing
I read a ton of these books when I was little, but this is the one I remember most because, well, I watched too my TV and my parents thought this would get through to me. It didn't, but I did love those bears!
Yadira
Mar 04, 2009 Yadira added it
this book is about when brother bear and sister bear and papa bear are waching to much t.v. then mama bear gets really mad at them because they are waching when they get home from school. then it goes to far. what will mama bear do?
Heather
Aug 27, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
I love all the Berentstain Bears books but this one in particular because Mama Bear thinks the "Cubs" are watching too much TV and so they have to read instead. What a great project to do with our students. Have them turn off the TV of a whole week have them document what they do instead-like read!
Nataytay
Jul 21, 2009 Nataytay rated it it was amazing
I liked this book too and it should be read to or with kids so they can learn to do more than watch TV!!
Megan Sewell
Mar 10, 2010 Megan Sewell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
These books are great for families trying to teach children valuable life lessons, this book helps teach kids why watching too much tv is bad.
Kelly
Aug 30, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Great one for those who are trying to cut back on watching t.v. - for kids
Lucia
Jan 02, 2011 Lucia rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The Berenstain Bears are classic books for childhood, even the more modern ones such as TOO MUCH TV. This is a good message for young children from characters they already love and respect.
angrykitty
Feb 22, 2008 angrykitty rated it really liked it
my mom got this one to teach my brother and i a lesson i think. don't think it worked as i loooooove tv. even when i read....i watch tv.....
Brittany
Aug 15, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it
My kids love all the Berenstain Bears books, and they don't realize there are important lessons in each story.
Karin
May 07, 2011 Karin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle
My granddaughters loved this and are thinking up activities to do instead of watching TV after school.They are five years old and were tickeled to see that Pappa could't watch TV either.
Eva
Sep 28, 2010 Eva rated it it was amazing
Good
Michele
Jan 05, 2011 Michele rated it really liked it
I think we read this the yr. we cut our T.V. watching for the summer.
Sally
Another I recall with much affection. Makes me realise even more how absolutely awesome my mother is too, for reading me so many books as a littlie! ♥ Could not have asked for a better mum.
Emily Garrison
Oct 26, 2016 Emily Garrison rated it it was amazing
This book was published in 1984 by Random House Publishers and is a book in the First Time Books series. This story begins when Brother and Sister Bear arrive home from school. They grab their afternoon snack and rush to the living room to watch TV. When Papa gets off work, he does the same thing! It's obvious to Mama that the Bear family is watching too much TV. Mama then realizes that lately, dinner conversation has diminished to nothing and she figures it's because instead of doing things out ...more
Sita
Dec 30, 2011 Sita rated it liked it
Recommended to Sita by: Borris Norris ris Norris
Shelves: childrens, reviewed, nl
Why oh why am I looking at this? Ages ago my crazy friend Tegan sent me a recommendation on Goodreads recommending this book (obviously), so doing the smart thing, I ignore it, then today I am looking back at my friend recommendations and I see this one, I decide to finally check it out. Turns out this is one of my sisters books. I showed it to her and she went into a 30 minute talk about what the plot and characters were all about, while I am being bored to tears.

The next day we are at someone
Ashley Field
Nov 21, 2013 Ashley Field rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When Mama realizes all the cubs and Papa are doing is watching TV she decides to take it away for a week. Throughout the week the cubs and Papa learn different things that they are able to do without the TV. They enjoyed things such as hiking and watching the stars. At the end of the week the cubs plan on having a TV marathon day. After a little while they get bored with the TV and decide to do something else instead. Personally, I believe the importance of teaching the theme of this book is gro ...more
Adam Donald
This is yet another installment in the Berenstain Bears saga. This one is about Mama bear trying to get the rest of her family to cut down on their TV watching time. She encourages them to go outside and play or pick up hobbies that don't involve sitting inside and staring at something. When her pleas fall on deaf ears she makes a decree saying no more TV for a week. During this week Papa, Brother and Sister Bear all start doing other activities. They go outside and explore the forest, start doi ...more
Alexandria
Apr 29, 2014 Alexandria rated it liked it
In this Berenstain Bears story, Mama Bear is worried that the cubs are watching too much television as the cubs spend their entire Saturday sitting in front of the TV. She feels that the TV makes the cubs lazy and brain dead so she grounds them from watching for a whole week. Papa Bear agrees with the rule but is unhappy to find out that it applies to him as well. Everyone is worried about becoming too bored, so Mama Bear takes them to the mall where Sister gets a knitting set and Brother gets a ...more
Sam Gaume
Apr 25, 2014 Sam Gaume rated it really liked it
Shelves: tchlrn-307
The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV addresses an important subject with today’s youth. Many kids are glued to their computers or televisions and do not get outside enough. The cubs are watching too much TV so Mama confiscates it and sends them outside to play. The kids have so much fun outside that when Mama lets them have the TV back, they do not even want to watch it. This is a wishful solution because most kids would not enjoy playing outside so much that they would not watch television, but ...more
Sri
Dec 22, 2015 Sri rated it really liked it
** spoiler alert **
Mama Bear nggak kuat lagi melihat tingkah laku Papa Bear dan anak-anak yang sehari-hari kerjanya nonton TV melulu. Mama akhirnya melarang mereka menonton TV selama seminggu. Anak-anak mulai mengeluh tapi Papa Bear setuju pada ide Mama. Setelah menyatakan persetujuannya Papa pun mau menyalakan TV. Tapi tidak! Aturan itu pun ternyata berlaku juga untuk Papa. Semula anak-anak mengira akan bosan. Nyatanya tanpa TV mereka bisa asik naik sepeda lagi, bersama sekeluarga memandang bin
Joann Aubain
Sep 18, 2012 Joann Aubain rated it liked it
Shelves: health
I think this book teaches a valuable lesson in time management for children who are watching too much television. Especially in today's time with everything being electronic its hard to get children "back to the basics" with just playing outside. Reading this book has provided some insight on how to educate children to staying healthy mentally and physically by engaging in outside activities rather than watching TV.

A learning experience would be to demonstrate to the children different and effe
Shelli
Feb 03, 2008 Shelli rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite Berenstain Bear books. Mama Bear notices that her family spends far to much time in front of the television and decides that everyone, including Papa Bear, was going to go t.v. for one entire week. Getting out of the t.v. habit was very hard at first for the cubs, and especially Papa. They had to relearn about all the wondrous things real life has to offer. I would encourage EVERY family to do this. My family did this about 4 years ago, only we had a no t.v. month. Si ...more
Книжни Криле
Aug 06, 2016 Книжни Криле rated it it was amazing
Мечетата Беранстийн са истинска класика сред американските детски книжки. Класика като Доктор Сюс и неговите римувани небивалици. Класика като Любопитния Джордж на Маргрет и Х.А.Рей. Или като голямото червено куче Клифърд на Норман Бридуел. И точно като тези класики, Мечетата Беранстийн са (почти) непознати на българските деца. Време е да променим това! Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни Криле":

the bears 2 14 Mar 20, 2012 08:20AM
  • I Was So Mad
  • The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks
  • Inside the Earth (The Magic School Bus, #2)
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Where's Waldo? The Fantastic Journey
  • The Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #1)
  • Good Work Amelia Bedelia (I Can Read Level 2)
  • Clifford Takes A Trip
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark