Start by marking “In Honor Bound (The Chastelayne Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
In Honor Bound (The Chastelayne Trilogy, #1)

In Honor Bound (The Chastelayne Trilogy #1)

His father will stop at nothing to keep the royal bloodline " pure" --even murder. But his sins have nearly destroyed Prince Philip and the future of his reign. " I will not lie to you, I will not be unfaithful to you, and I will not love you. My heart is pledged to another, and I am not a man to break an oath."

Lady Rosalynde stares at her groom on the first night of their
Published January 7th 1997 by Crossway Books (first published January 1997)

To ask other readers questions about In Honor Bound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Honor Bound

anna
Jul 19, 2016 anna rated it it was amazing
Though I have known about the Chastelayne Trilogy for some time I only recently began reading it due to some (mostly unfounded) reservations. Quite simple it is one of the best Christian Historical novels I have ever read, and the most Historically Accurate, or perhaps I should rather say Historically authentic, as the novel is not set in a real place/time.

Having said this, a number of the characters and events have their basis in real Historical figures and events, for instance Prince Philip’s
Loraine Alcorn
Jan 30, 2012 Loraine Alcorn rated it it was amazing
I have read this whole wonderful trilogy. I really loved every book, the whole era and atmosphere are just what Im looking for in a medieval story.

This first book In Honor Bound (The Chastelayne Trilogy) has the ability to really make you feel that you are experiencing era.
Rosalynde young woman has been promised to prince Phillip. Rosalynde has lead a sheltered Faithful Christian life . She has great faith and hopes to be a good bride to her husband. Long ago she had meet him when he was a boy
Heather
3.5 stars. I liked this book, but it feels like it's been awhile since I've LOVED a book...not trying to be irritating with all of the 3 star average ratings! :)

So this was a good read, clean as far as content. The main characters are married and there is plenty of talk about their physical attraction and you know that they have sex, but everything is completely closed door. The Christian elements in it are pretty heavy at times, but not in a way that felt too preachy or irritating.

Honestly, t
Monica
Jun 06, 2013 Monica rated it really liked it
This one was as almost as good as By Love Redeemed (which I read 1st, though it is second in series -- didn't know it was a series) but author could have condensed Philip's agonizing. A thoughtful depiction of what pure love is.
Michelle
I have never read a Medieval story that I've enjoyed as much as this one. Ever. Maybe because the passion in this novel is so real and so impressive that it left me breathless more than once! Heck, I was in love with Philip! In Honor Bound was such a great story, in fact, that I read the book in just three days (and if I hadn't had to work I would've finished it sooner.)

There is so much depth to In Honor Bound. The characters are incredibly well done. The conflict was so good that it literally h
Beverly Frisby
May 11, 2011 Beverly Frisby rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
A prince who would be king, haunted by tragedies that cause him to harden his heart against God. When King Robert is captured, Prince Philip must rally the army to free his father, the king, and protect the people from an evil usurper. Prince Philip knows it will take all his strength, training, & resources to fight for the throne - but can he fight an unknown enemy from within the palace without God's help?

Lady Rosalynde fell in love with Philip when she first met him, placing him on a pede
LadyCalico
Dec 30, 2013 LadyCalico rated it liked it
This was a great adventure story ruined by a mediocre romance. Although there were things about this book that I admired and appreciated, I just didn't enjoy it. The first half was really good, the story about the the royal family relationships and politics was original and intriguing, and the battles were exciting. However, the romance fell flat and was just a long "meh" interupted by an "eww" whenever poor Philip gave into his lust and got mushy with the hideous Rosalynde. I found the ...more
Marilize
Dec 04, 2011 Marilize rated it it was amazing
Just looking at the cover art, I probably wouldn't have given it a second look, but thank goodness I read the blurb - that at least piqued my interest enough to read it.

The plot is intricate. There is much that happens, that in hindsight makes a lot of sense, but blindsided me as it happened. The characters are 3-dimensional and have very real feelings.

Normally books about arranged marriages make it sound too easy. This one shows that unconditional love is hard work. LOVE, and marriage - PERIOD
Anne Campbell
Apr 01, 2014 Anne Campbell rated it it was amazing
If you like adventure, romance, and regency-type books, I think you will love this one. I'd recommend it to anyone (guys or gals) from age sixteen up. It's a clean inspirational romance that will keep you reading past your bedtime. I know, it's a book released several years ago, but it is great.

For Rosalynde of Westered, it was love at first sight. Philip of Chastelaines's heaven-blue eyes captured her at the age of fifteen and would never let her go. Philip, on the other hand, has been assigned
Tiffany
Aug 21, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it
This was a free kindle book one day, so I decided to give it a try. I couldn't put it down once I started it. It was a bit like a Francine Rivers novel set in Medieval times. The story was captivating throughout, and I liked that the Christian aspect of the book was integral to the story, not just tacked on as an afterthought. It probably deserves at least 4.5 stars.
Katy Wilmotte
Jan 09, 2013 Katy Wilmotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent study of one's man constant devotion which quickly turns to arrogant pride and one woman's unfailing love which turns into steadfast devotion. While the plot runs rather thin, the dialogue shines and the characters are well-rounded and intensely studied.
deb
May 03, 2013 deb rated it it was amazing
This was a truly awesome book. Rosalynde was a wonderful character and I can't wait to read the other books in this series.
Joleen
Oct 11, 2016 Joleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-ages
This book is greatly about a king and 4 sons; two of which died in battle, leaving Tom and Philip. Their father had usurped the kingdom by having his brother, then king, imprisoned. Later he died in his cell. Philip, in particular, never trusted his father because of it. The brothers pledged their allegiance, but it was simply out of duty.
Many years before, when they all visited another kingdom, they were introduced to two of that king's daughters who were younger teenagers. Rosalynde, the young
Onyih Odunze
Nov 08, 2016 Onyih Odunze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read!

I just read this book a second time, and it was as good as the first. I love historical fiction and this one is a treat. Highly recommended.
Michele
Oct 10, 2016 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Very well written book, I enjoyed it very much.. it went quickly. A sweet and patient heroine, who loved her way into the heroes icy heart. Villains and hero's who could ask for more. Thank you
Lis K
Aug 31, 2016 Lis K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the last book of this trilogy first, To Grace Surrendered (The Chastelayne Trilogy,) when I stumbled upon it at my local library. Philip's and Rosalynde's relationship was so loving and strong in that book so I wanted to read how it all started for them. I really enjoyed this story, it was hard to put down but it was also emotionally draining. I thought the author did a good job of portraying Philip's grief over Kate's death but it was so hard to see what he put Rosalynde through. It ...more
Apr 21, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is a skillfully crafted story which follows the life of a prince who begins life as an excessively optimistic child but then is hardened by royal conspiracy. Dodson makes Prince Philip's spiral into depression believable even as it drives him to the outskirts of his kingdom to live as a commoner in effort to distract himself from the pain. What makes it really heart-rending is the way Philip denies all support from his devoted wife and brother, who are eventually forced to sit back and ...more
MLOW
Jan 16, 2014 MLOW rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I understood and appreciated our heroine's tenacious, pure love. I loved some of the good and loyal characters like Tom, Jerome, Palmer and Rafe. I even understood why Philip was as jaded as he was, but frankly I found it exhausting to read. The choices he made to protect his pride over and over... again, exhausting. The good was there for sure, but for me not enough to outweigh the emotion ick you slug through with Philip. Trying to decide if I want to attempt book 2...
Shammy
Sep 18, 2013 Shammy rated it liked it
I would actually give this book a 3.5 stars. I really did not know what to expect when I started to read In Honor Bound so it was a pleasant surprise to find that the story was well written for the time period it was set in. If you enjoy medieval romance christian stories then you have found a winner. If you are not sure of the genre give it a try. This is a good story to start with.
Susan Snodgrass
Aug 03, 2015 Susan Snodgrass rated it it was amazing
I love medieval tales; It's my favorite genre, I think. I checked the reviews on this one and decided to take a chance. I'm sure glad I did. I loved it!
The author has created very believable characters, the period history is spot on and there's wonderful spiritual content. Very happy with this book, so much so that I immediately ordered the next 2 in the series, can't wait to read them!
Rachel
Jan 25, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: jan-16
This book started off slow...but I really enjoyed the history feeling of the book, lots of romance and a bit of mystery thrown in there. I must admit that the hero of the story seems pretty sullen, spoiled, and hard to get along with...but there is a good ending to all of that! I was ready to wring his neck half way through the book, but persevered and was glad I did!
Meg V
Mar 02, 2013 Meg V rated it really liked it
Pretty good story for a free Kindle download! All of the references to God might put some people off, but as a Christian I enjoyed them. Very angsty, but still good in the end. Now I see it's the first of a trilogy so I might actually have to pay money for the others.
산드라
Sep 12, 2014 산드라 rated it it was ok
This was free when I got it, but it is $4.99 right now. Don't read this book if you can't get through overly Christian things. The author goes on and on about Christian things in what is a medieval setting. I finished it, but I won't be getting the other books in the series.
Anne
I have absolutely no idea what to rate this. I do believe this is one of the most emotionally draining books I have ever read. I still have not decided if that is a good or a bad thing. Full review to come.
Kelly
Apr 07, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
Overall, I really liked this book. I did think it was a little bit drug out and Philip was endearing but completely annoying at the same time. The ending was good and worth the wait though.
Aug 06, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
Surprisingly exciting and packed with tragedy after tragedy, etc. Proof that you can't judge a book by its cover.... or its first few pages.
Staciy Wilson Wilson
A Very Good Read!

I will be reading the rest of this trilogy! I love historical novels and this one has definitely delivered on it's promise.
Leasa G
Leasa G rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2012
Lisa Richardson
Lisa Richardson rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: "In Honor Bound" (Chastelayne Trilogy) 1 1 May 16, 2013 09:00AM
  • The Heart of Thornton Creek (Queensland Chronicles #1)
  • A River to Cross
  • Undaunted Love
  • The Unveiling (Age of Faith, #1)
  • A Place Called Bliss (Saskatchewan Saga, #1)
  • Rosa's Land (Western Justice, #1)
  • Rapunzel (Demon Tales, #4)
  • Journey of Honor
  • The Forever Stone
  • A Knight's Temptation (Knight's, #3)
  • Thorns in Eden / The Everlasting Mountains
  • Stallions at Burnt Rock (West Texas Sunrise #1)
  • Cafenova (Clairmont Series #1)
  • A Lady in Defiance (Romance in the Rockies #1)
  • Charles Towne (Keepers of the Ring #5)
  • Prize of My Heart (Sea Heroes of Duxbury)
  • The Captain of Her Heart (The Buchanan Saga, #1)
  • The Warrior's Game
DeAnna Julie Dodson has always been an avid reader and a lover of storytelling, whether on the page, the screen or the stage. This, along with her keen interest in history and her Christian faith, shows in her tales of love, forgiveness and triumph over adversity. A fifth-generation Texan, she makes her home north of Dallas with four spoiled cats and, when not writing, spends her free time ...more
More about DeAnna Julie Dodson...

The Chastelayne Trilogy (3 books)
  • By Love Redeemed (The Chastelayne Trilogy, #2)
  • To Grace Surrendered (The Chastelayne Trilogy, #3)

“Still, without faithfulness of heart there is little value in all the rest.” 3 likes