Start by marking “A Place of Quiet Rest: Finding Intimacy With God Through a Daily Devotional Life” as Want to Read:

Daily time with the Lord Jesus is essential for an authentic relationship with Him. But so often, our lives interrupt this precious time. That's why Nancy Leigh DeMoss has written this compelling new book about developing a devotional life that will challenge and invite women into a deeper relationship with Christ.
Published January 1st 2000 by Moody Pr (first published December 31st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Place of Quiet Rest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place of Quiet Rest

Grace
Sep 24, 2016 Grace rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any older girl or woman whose devotional time needs new life breathed into it
This book was inspiring and beautiful yet very practical as well, and I very much enjoyed it.

Nancy Leigh DeMoss explains the beauty of the relationship we are called to have with God and about how it is a privilege and not a duty. She begins with the "why", not the "how", which I appreciated, and the picture she created of wonderful intimacy with God made me want to get to the rest of the book to learn how to achieve that intimacy. It was motivational and inspiring.

In the second half of the bo
Janelle
Sep 03, 2011 Janelle rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book from one of the great Christian women of our day. I allowed myself to read this book over several months to let the practical advice become habit. I used it as a devotional/study for my own quiet time. I would love to study it with others to dig even deeper into my walk with the Lord. One practical suggestion she gave was how to read through the Bible in a year. I've tried this several times several different ways and I have to say the way she laid it out has been most ...more
Mary-wilkes
Nov 29, 2008 Mary-wilkes rated it it was amazing
I read this my jr. year of college, and it was the perfect supplement to what I had been learning about discipline and reading in the Word. It was difficult for me to discipline myself to read, because of habit or just not praying for the desire to be disciplined. But, it was very clear about the scripture that supports scriptural reading and taking time away from our ever-busy schedules to be equipped by the one thing that gives us life, breath, and the energy to live lives pleasing to the Fath ...more
Debbie
Mar 18, 2016 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: discipleship
This is a great book to encourage and equip Christians in their daily devotional life. There are gems of truth in each chapter, making it a valuable resource, whether for a new Christian, a backslidden believer, or someone already faithful in a fruitful daily quiet time.

I would recommend a complete read-through, followed by using small sections consecutively in the course of one's daily devotional time.

It includes motivation for daily devotional time, suggestions on what to do and how to do it,
Leigh Ann
Oct 23, 2009 Leigh Ann rated it it was amazing
I have almost completed this book. I'm always impressed with how Nancy Leigh DeMoss is able to motivate me to discipline my time with the Lord and to crave more time with him. She is a means of grace! This is a great book to motivate you (biblically) to find your place of quiet rest at the foot of the cross through the word of God!
Mary
I would of liked it more but there are times where Nancy Leigh Demoss sort of comes across as a little rigid as how devotional time should be used. There is just way too much emphasis on when, where and how. I am more type of the person that believes that God finds people rather than God just finding them. That being said I feel like only certain parts of this devotional are meant for me.
Kiki
Dec 23, 2007 Kiki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
A huge thank you to my friends Charlotte and Beth for the gift of this book! I love the story about Mary and Martha on pp.40-45; it is perfect, especially during Advent. It reminds me how important it is to strive to live like Mary in a "Martha" world. My to-do list tends to get the better of me, and I often lose sight of the true meaning of the season.
Dory
Jan 22, 2016 Dory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Leigh DeMoss shares her heart with her audience, sharing with them the blessings of a daily quiet time spent in worship and devotion to God each day. An excellent instructional read for a new Christian as well as an encouragement to the more seasoned Christian. This challenged me to bring back the intimacy to my devotions.
Susan
Jul 16, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
I wish I had read this book years ago.

This is not a book of devotions. It is practical advice on how to have a daily quiet time, and more importantly, why do have a daily quiet time. I am currently rereading this book because I found so much inspiration from it!

No matter where you are in your walk with Christ, this book will be a blessing to you!
Sep 18, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you would like to develop and / or better your daily quiet time with God, this book helps you understand what it takes to do so. It also helps you think about why it is we are called to have a consistent daily quiet time with God.
Casey Cox
Feb 17, 2016 Casey Cox rated it it was amazing
Insightful work on godly devotion. A must read for any woman who desires to know the Lord. This book is well written and sites several credible biblical scholars as well as the Bible itself. It has been an incredible encouragement to my devotional life. I highly recommend it.
Jess
Mar 26, 2010 Jess rated it it was ok
She was a little too pushy in all that you should sacrifice..... made me feel guilty rather than inspired.....
Ann
Aug 04, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal
A beautiful book of 'back to basics'! Not just a 'how to' manual but also reminders of 'why' and 'what'.
Drenched in scripture references, heart-warming and challenging.
Carolyn
Dec 01, 2015 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Not quite what I expected, but a good first book in my year-long "book-a-month" small group. Good strategies, tips, and goals for a daily quiet-time.
kelly
Feb 07, 2009 kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If you need to revitalize (or begin) your daily quiet time- this is the book to get you focused! I highly recommend it and really any other book by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.
M.H.
Apr 29, 2014 M.H. rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, have given a few copies away. I finished it before losing my husband. What I learned from it, helped me make it through that time.
Marshan Alma
Apr 25, 2015 Marshan Alma rated it liked it
I felt like this book was long and repetitive. I read it for a Bible study, and was bored after the 5th chapter. I do love Nancy Leigh DeMoss. I think she's amazing.
Tammy
Apr 13, 2008 Tammy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ladies
A great devotional book to remind us of the importance of a daily time with the Lord. Very inspirational!
Sue Klasing
Wonderful book!! Will probably use ideas from it for the women's retreat this fall. Explains the difference in duty to god and delight in God.
Carrie Blair
Carrie Blair rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Tammy Brammer
Tammy Brammer rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Jaime Lynn
Jaime Lynn rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2011
Ginger Cochran-calfee
Ginger Cochran-calfee rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2013
Christie
Christie rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2009
Jan
Jan rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2008
Juanita Whaley
Apr 15, 2013 Juanita Whaley is currently reading it
Shelves: religion
THIS IS ONE OF THE BOOKS I USE DOING MY DAILY DEVOTIONALS.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Disciplines of a Godly Woman
  • The Hour That Changes the World: A Practical Plan for Personal Prayer
  • 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health
  • Overcoming Fear, Worry, and Anxiety: Becoming a Woman of Faith and Confidence
  • Damsels in Distress: Biblical Solutions for Problems Women Face
  • Holiness Day by Day: Transformational Thoughts for Your Spiritual Journey
  • His Word in My Heart: Memorizing Scripture for a Closer Walk with God
  • Pathway to Purpose for Women: Connecting Your To-Do List, Your Passions, and God's Purposes for Your Life
  • Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus: Experiencing the Peace and Promise of Christmas
  • Spiritual Mothering
  • Loving God with All Your Mind
  • Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother
  • The Envy of Eve: Finding Contentment in a Covetous World
Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth also known as Nancy Leigh DeMoss is the host and teacher for Revive Our Hearts and Seeking Him, two nationally-syndicated programs heard each weekday on over 1,000 radio stations. She is a mentor and spiritual mother to thousands of women and a leader of the True Woman movement.
More about Nancy Leigh DeMoss...

“Unlike any other book that has ever been written, the Bible is alive; and it comes to with a personal Tutor-the Holy Spirit, who lives in us.” 1 likes
“Whatever approach you take to reading the Bible, don't let yourself become a slave to the method. Don't get so caught up in the mechanics that you miss the point.” 1 likes