The Right Questions: Ten Essential Questions To Guide You To An Extraordinary Life

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  29 reviews
New York Times No. 1 bestselling author Debbie Ford presents revolutionary questions that, when answered with complete honesty, change the way we see ourselves and make decisions – ultimately moving us toward the life we desire.

The realities of the life we live today are a result of the choices we made yesterday, three months ago and three years ago. But we don't wind up...more
Published April 1st 2003 by HarperOne (first published 2003)

Christopher Selmek
1. Will This Choice Propel Me Toward an Inspiring Future or Will It Keep Me Stuck in the Past?
2. Will This Choice Bring Me Long-Term Fulfillment or Will It Bring Me Short-Term Gratification?
3. Am I Standing in My Power or Am I Trying to Please Another?
4. Am I Looking for What is Right or Am I Looking for What is Wrong?
5. Will This Choice Add to My Life Force or Will It Rob Me of My Energy?
6. Will I Use This Situation as a Catalyst to Grow and Evolve or Will I Use It to Beat Myself Up?
7. Does Thi...more
Lindsay
So good. One of the best out of all of Debbie Ford's books-I'm a big fan of her writing and her point of view.

This books applies to everyone-no matter what you're struggling with-relationships, finances, weight, emotional problems, family problems, career, etc.-it causes you to step back and realize that where you are in your life is a direct result of the small and systematic choices you've made along the way.

For example, people don't wake up 100k in debt, it is a series of small choices that...more
David Geschke
This was the first book of Debbie Ford's that I ever read. I really liked it and already picked up a couple more books she wrote that are in my on deck circle. This is a fairly easy read, starts with a list of ten questions to ask yourself when making decisions in life. I started out a bit underwhelmed by the idea - like, I'm supposed to remember these ten questions every time I want to clarify my choices? Do I need to carry a "cheat sheet" with me? There's no way I'm remembering all that, etc,...more
Dana Panait
Read this book after reading the "Spiritual Divorce..." of the same Debbie Ford. This is the base theory and the "Spiritual Divorce" is the application in practice:). I love it and I like going back sometime to remind myself the "right questions" I need to ask when getting through situations where I am not sure if I need to turn left, right or keep going forward...
Julian
Jan 21, 2013 Julian rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NONE
Recommended to Julian by: A GIFT
This wannabe-book is pure bull****. A rhetorical on and on question on the same subject that led to the point where, at the end, there is NO ANSWER and NO REAL GUIDE AT ALL. Is like all those documentaries pretending to answer the eternal question of: WHO BUILD THE GREAT PYRAMIDS???? Just another so call SELF-HELP where a reader need more HELP than anything else at the end of the "book". The "author", and the publisher, uses the "#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR" title to sell and promote, a...more
James Crotchett
I liked this book as it has a great purpose and stays strong to that purpose. Ford really drives you to see why you are missing your goals and tells you how to make the decisions that allow you to be achieving them. I didn't feel, however, that she wrote with much understanding of balance - it was all a "yes always" or "no never" situation. I disagree with that, but she likely feels that any give is a loss towards your goal. I also only remember the questions that were most relevant and importan...more
Michele Wood
Excellent reading.decisions we make in our everyday life effect our life more than we think.
Kate
Jun 15, 2007 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking to make change in their lives
Shelves: coaching, self-help
This book is very practical and straightforward for a self-help book. No Jesus-y stuff, no hokey pokey business about accepting yourself and blah blah blah. This is just a series of questions to ask yourself every time you are faced with a choice, and their aim is to guide you towards making decisions that further the life that you want. I totally recommend this book!

I say more about it here [http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...]
s-b-t
I come back to this book for examples to offer our clients (I work at a non-profit career counseling firm, whose clients face a number of barriers in life). It's a very empowering, affirmative book that can help someone take more of their life back if they've the fortitude and a plan to make it happen. I come back to this one every once in a while to re-orient myself to what's important to me. I'm glad I found it.
Felipe Foronda
Absolutely fantastic read… came at a right time in my life too so it fit like a glove. It teaches you how to get a better response by asking a better question. sample!! highly recommend.
A lot of good information. It is a very "feel good" book. I liked it
C
The principles are easy to apply... most of them are common sense and you want to slap yourself on the forehead. Some of them you still have a voice in the back of your head and think, "Well in real life..." and yet you still want to strive for them. In short, I have applied much of this book and want to integrate other parts of it.
Taylor Osborne
Loved this book. Very quick but it is a great book to pick up and check yourself- analyze the choices that you're making because this is the only life we get and we want it to be extraordinary, dont we?
Kari
This is definitely under the category of self-help books. I learned a lot about myself and feel much stronger in my personal decisions! It is an easy read and easy to apply to real life.
Catharine
Wish I'd had this book in my early twenties .. Might have changed the paths I chose. Good exercises to find what truth is hiding behind the masks of daily living.
Lisa
My Mother passed this book onto me and I'm not quite sure what to think yet. I started it late last night and so far I like the authors approach...we'll see.
Nancy
Great book. To the point and a wonderful guide to life's choices - and how to stay on track with your goals.
Canay
Anytime I find myself in a difficult position, these 10 questions make it very easy for me to decide.
Zana
I will need to reread this. It is very good in that way that is a little too spot-on so it's hard to absorb.
Dawn
This is my favorite of the Debbie Ford books. Debbie's books changed my life!
Kathy
I should make a shelf for "scanned quickly" and took back to library.
Janet
I love self-help books. This little book looked like a good one.
Really liked it. Useful advice for making challenging decisions.
Stephanie
Given to me by a great friend. The title says it all.
Katt
This book is a great book. The advice is wonderful.
Lorna
Simple straight forward and so helpful
Wendy
I use this book often.
William
A good manual for doing life.
Asha
thought provoking.
Sep 01, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Life
  • Your Heart's Desire: Instructions for Creating the Life You Really Want
  • The Shadow Effect: Illuminating the Hidden Power of Your True Self
  • Take Time for Your Life
  • Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!
  • You Can Heal Your Life Companion Book
  • The Path: Creating Your Mission Statement for Work and for Life
  • I Will Not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion
  • Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want
  • That's Not What I Meant!
  • Potatoes Not Prozac
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • The Grief Recovery Handbook: A Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Devastating Losses
  • When Food Is Love: Exploring the Relationship Between Eating and Intimacy
  • Life Is Short, Wear Your Party Pants
  • A Year to Live: How to Live This Year as If It Were Your Last
  • The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram: Nine Faces of the Soul
  • Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts: Using the Power of Pleasure to Have Your Way with the World
  • Living the 80/20 Way: Work Less, Worry Less, Succeed More, Enjoy More
Debbie Ford was an American author of self-help books. Her first book, "The Dark Side Of The Light Chasers", spawned eight more books in the genre and dealt with confronting one's "dark side" rather than ignoring it. Ford also hosted television and radio shows related to her books.

She passed away due to complications from cancer in 2013.
More about Debbie Ford...
The Dark Side of the Light Chasers: Reclaiming Your Power, Creativity, Brilliance and Dreams The Best Year of Your Life: Dream It, Plan It, Live It Why Good People Do Bad Things: How to Stop Being Your Own Worst Enemy Spiritual Divorce: Divorce as a Catalyst for an Extraordinary Life The Secret of the Shadow: The Power of Owning Your Story