Start by marking “The Dosadi Experiment (ConSentiency Universe, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dosadi Experiment (ConSentiency Universe, #2)

The Dosadi Experiment (ConSentiency Universe #2)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  5,850 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Beyond the God Wall

Generations of a tormented human-alien people, caged on a toxic planet, conditioned by constant hunger and war-this is the Dosadi Experiment, and it has succeeded too well. For the Dosadi have bred for Vengeance as well as cunning, and they have learned how to pass through the shimmering God Wall to exact their dreadful revenge on the Universe that creat
Published September 16th 2002 by Tor Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Dosadi Experiment, please sign up.

Adna Both 'The Tactful Saboteur' and 'Whipping Star' take place in the same universe as 'The Dosadi Experiment' and have the same main character, Jorj…moreBoth 'The Tactful Saboteur' and 'Whipping Star' take place in the same universe as 'The Dosadi Experiment' and have the same main character, Jorj McKie. But as far as stories go they seem to me to be quite suited to being read on their own.

I suppose reading 'Whipping Star' first will offer one a better grasp of what some of the alien races are about, but 'The Dosadi Experiment' fills in pretty much all the relevant points needed to understand their role in that particular story.(less)

Lyn
Jul 24, 2013 Lyn rated it liked it
I have learned about myself that I don’t (as a principle) like series. This seems to be the new vision of science fiction and fantasy writers as any browsing of new books will see Book 2 of this and number 4 of the series in that. I would like to say to writers, “Present an original idea, say what you want to say, have some fun with it, do it well, and slap a The End on the back and move on to something else.”

Now, having said that, I still do read series; too many talented writers are spending
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. This is best "non Dune" book by Frank Herbert that I have read. It is a sequel of sorts to Whipping Star (a book I did not really like) and is set in the universe of the ConSentiency. The basic plot involves a secret experiment in which a group of humans and aliens are kidnapped and placed on a planet with a brutal environment in order to produce...( no spoilers).

In tone, this story reminded me a lot of the later Dune books in so far as its focus on the psychological motivation
Nomi
Aug 02, 2011 Nomi rated it really liked it
I wanted to give this book a low rating because the first 70 pages are painfully boring and unintelligible... on the first read and the ending is kind of blah...

Nevertheless, it has some unbelievably redeeming qualities (if you're a Dune fanatic)... and I even suspect that these 70 pages might yield whole new insights upon the second reading. I'd even go so far as to say that this is a must read for any serious Dune afficianados because the text provides one more point of entry into that univer
Ric
Nov 09, 2010 Ric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This had the makings of a second "Dune", twelve years after publication of that ground-breaking book. And all the elements are here: a richly-imagined world - Dosadi, a strong emotional focus - an enslaved population, a back story that goes back generations, and sinister forces to ramp up the suspense. And, also in prime form, Herbert's dramatic, impactful prose.

And Herbert kept the suspense at a peak for much of the book. The story could have taken a turn for something entirely different at vir
Douglas
Mar 17, 2014 Douglas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who are curious about more of Frank Herbert; frogs, toads, and amphibians
I'll start with a side note here: The cover of the edition I read had a synopsis that had only a slight similarity to the actual content of the book. So if you have some similar copy and are curious what's inside, don't read the book cover. It'll mislead you some. Consider yourself warned.

Although Frank Herbert is best known for his Dune series, he wrote other science fiction. The Dosadi is in this "other" category -- other in that it takes place in an entirely different universe than what occur
Kevin
Aug 08, 2011 Kevin rated it liked it
I am perhaps too lenient on this book, else this review will serve as a confession that I am too stupid to grok the Dosadi mindset. But I think that the weakness of characterization that is a standard scifi caveat hinders this novel, one of Herbert's most ambitious(I say skiffy instead of scifi usually, cause I don't give a fuck. Yeah that's right). As in Dune, Herbert attempts a merciless dissection of society. Dune, rightly regarded as a classic, began as an exploration of the effect of trade ...more
Steve
Sep 22, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing
The first 70 pages are hard to follow but things quickly fall into place afterwards. So be prepared.

I really enjoyed the story but the motivation of the main character was a little unclear to me.

What I especially enjoyed was how the writing mirrored the story; The confusion you feel as a reader mirrors the confusion McKie feels when landing on Dosadi and trying to integrate into their society. The brisk pace of the book mirrors the brisk mental pace of the Dosadi inhabitants. Another author migh
Rob
Oct 12, 2014 Rob rated it it was amazing
...My opinion that The Dosadi Experiment is Herbert's best non-Dune book has remained unchanged. It is a novel that summarizes many of the themes that can be found in his works but also highlights some of the problems with his writing. The lack of character development, the constantly changing viewpoints and the cognitive leaps that characterize the novel keep it from being a great work. Herbert's grasp of the ideas he wants to discuss is unrivaled in science fiction but the way he translates t ...more
Herbert
Apr 15, 2012 Herbert rated it it was amazing
Fascinating insight nto the internecine underpinnings of modern urban culture and basic complexities of natural human subversion. Riveting Sci-Fi. Timeless in so many of it's implications. Applicable to today, the Tang Dynasty, the Obama Administration 2013.
Neil
It was an okay book. It took a while to get into it; there were enough gems interspersed to keep me hoping it might get better. I was pleasantly surprised that it did.

One part I liked/thought was hilarious: (view spoiler)
Ethan
Dec 18, 2014 Ethan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever wondered what Dune would be like with aliens and computers, well... that's not exactly what this is, but it is a non-Dune Frank Herbert space opera so that's sort of what's going on. I was able to follow the basic arc of the plot, but I admit a lot of the details of the intrigues ("plans within plans within plans..." à la Dune) were hard to follow; it was also difficult to keep track of all the characters, factions, alien species, etc.

The basic plot centers on McKie and Jedrik. Mc
Dennis
Jan 19, 2012 Dennis rated it it was amazing
I was a bit surprised at first to find this book has such mixed reviews on here. I first read it as a teenager and it made a big impression on me. I have just recently finished re-reading it and if anything am more awe-struck than before. Unlike last time I also tracked down and read Herbert's earlier ConSentiency writings (The Tactful Saboteur and Whipping Star) which are far more amateurish than The Dosadi Experiment but help to fill in the background.

Herbert likes characters who are super sma
Tim
Jan 03, 2010 Tim rated it really liked it
I enjoy Science Fiction - this one is hard to explain, but for those who've read some of Frank Herbert's Dune series, this one is understandable and regularly surprising.

An experiment by two races (human and one other) who have put "volunteers" of their population on to a planet, quarantined it, and allowed the two populations struggle to find their way under very tough survival conditions.

The experiment has gone on secretly for decades, with the fear that this experiment is strictly illegal und
Chris
Dec 30, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it
This may be my favorite of Herbert's books outside of the Dune series and the Jesus Incident trilogy. I almost wish that this universe he created, it could be expanded to a series. Much is left to the imagination and the insinuation of the reader, in a way Herbert does early on with Dune.

Many similar aspects between Dune and this universe are seen... chairdogs, Galach language, etc, except that this one includes multiple sentient, and 1 supersentient, species. The overall theme is typical Herber
Denis
Aug 25, 2014 Denis rated it liked it
As with Poul Anderson, I've only chipped at the iceburg-body of work from this author, therefore, I can not judge him too harshly. Yes, it is obvious that he is a master writer with complex yet solid plotting and inspiring world building... And it is true, that I have not yet read the Dune series, I have tried a few early short stories and the later novel "White Plague" and had to give up on those - just did not grab me! 'Cause man, I would really rather read better stories by less competent wri ...more
Boris
Feb 25, 2008 Boris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I loved Frank Herbert in middle school, and I hadn't realized just how poor a writer he was. It's especially apparent in this and Whipping Star. Herbert was skilled at creating fascinatingly foreign and complex cultures, and then demonstrating through them the tedious ideas of 1950s-era business gurus which he seemed to hold in high regard. He reminds me of Hubbard in that respect. Of course, he's still a much better writer than that!
Conal
Oct 10, 2013 Conal rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was a book that I had thought I read in the past but turned out to be new to me (unless extreme CRS has set in). This was a solid space opera tale told by one of the past masters of this genre and was a really enjoyable story. I will need to pick up the first story with Jorj X. Mckie so I can see the past that is discussed in this one.

4.5 stars for a really fun read. Recommended for any fans of space opera especially if you enjoyed Dune!!
Aerin
Mar 08, 2016 Aerin rated it it was ok
It's not so much that this book was bad, as that it was incredibly boring.
Jacob
Oct 29, 2013 Jacob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A complicated story that makes several leaps that I'm still shaking my head over, but an enjoyable story that leaves me wishing Frank Herbert had explored this universe.
Amber Dunten
Shortly after starting The Dosadi Experiment, I said to my boyfriend, “This book reminds me a lot of Dune. I have no idea what's going on, and I feel like a total simpleton in this world.”

His response: “Welcome to Frank Herbert.”

Know going in that Frank Herbert wrote challenging books. His stories describe social and legal structures so byzantine they require page upon page of explanation, and political maneuverings so subtle that empires can seemingly fall on the arch of an eyebrow. Clues abou
Adna
Towards the end of the book Herbert starts a chapter with a quote from a fictitious book titled 'Insights (a glimpse of early Human philosophy)'. It goes like this: 'In a changing universe, only a changing species can hope to be immortal and then only if its eggs are nurtured in widely scattered environments. This predicts a wealth of unique individuals.'

Sounds familiar? If you've read any of Herbert’s Dune novels, it probably does.

However, unlike roses a 'Golden Path' by any other name does no
Steve Knowlton
Feb 28, 2017 Steve Knowlton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Herbert's subtlest and perhaps finest work. An absolute masterpiece.

Although Dune is absolutely superb, I think the confluence of ideas in The Dosadi Experiment is even better, a complex and subtle work that makes the reader work to really enjoy the many levels of its brilliance. The trial which serves as the climax of the plot is a true gem.
Alex Ott
Dec 25, 2016 Alex Ott rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
re-reading classics of sci-fi
Patrick
Dec 06, 2012 Patrick rated it it was ok
JDN 2456280 EDT 17:06.

The Dosadi Experiment was a novel Frank Herbert wrote in the middle of his career, with some Dune books before it (up to Children of Dune) and some after it (God Emperor of Dune and beyond). Actually, come to think of it, it's roughly "the good Dune books" before and "the bad Dune books" after.
It's a strange novel, longer than it needed to be, and with characters who manage to be complex without being particularly interesting or sympathetic. The closest to sympathetic are
Michael
Feb 22, 2017 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Frank Herbert fans, sci fi fans, Literature students
Recommended to Michael by: Wayne Douglas Barlowe
I’m somewhat glad that I read this after “Whipping Star,” because to some degree it has restored my faith in Herbert as being a decent author, that “Dune” was not just a fluke. Oddly, though, while it slightly raises my opinion of Herbert, I find that I still find myself thinking of him as a bit more human, a bit less perfect, and thus as “Dune” itself as a bit less impressive. I’ll see if I can make any sense of that as I discuss this book.

The book follows Jorj McKie, the same hero as in “Whipp
Klytia
Feb 14, 2015 Klytia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leggere un romanzo di fantascienza scritto negli anni '70 e ritrovare numerose riflessioni sulla società che sembrano scritte oggi e sono valide tanto per il mondo in cui stiamo vivendo quanto, e forse ancora di più, per l'Italia di oggi.

"Tutti gli esseri senzienti sono creati disuguali. La società migliore offre a ciascuno un'uguale possibilità di galleggiare al proprio livello." - Il Principio Primario dei gowachin.

"Ogni governo è diretto da bugiardi, e nulla di ciò che loro dicono può essere
Fred
Dec 31, 2016 Fred added it
This book, like Dune, didn't get interesting until well past 120 pages.
The prequel, Whipping Star, was a book that I barely recall reading back in the 70's.
Having recently finished Dune, for the 3rd time, I wondered why Frank Herbert was writing something that seemed so "mundane" ?

As the story progressed the progression from Dune became apparent. Frank Herbert is exploring different kinds of advanced consciousness. In Dune it was consciousness of the future possibilities in Dosadi Experiment it
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
In a far-distant future, the human race is part of a civilization known as the consentiency, which covers many far-flung galaxies, and multiple species of sentient beings. It is two of these races that make the consentiency possible: the Taprisiots, who can make it possible for any two minds within the consentiency to connect and communicate, and the Caleban, who can create jump-doors, providing instantaneous travel between any two points in the universe. But these conveniences have their downsi ...more
John Loyd
Jan 29, 2016 John Loyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BuSab has heard rumors that the Gowachin have hidden the planet Dosadi and are keeping the inhabitants their prisoner. Jorj X. McKie, who helped solve the Caleban crisis in Whipping Star, is sent to the Tandaloor to meet with the Gowachins. The Gowachins had maneuvered BuSab into sending McKie because he is also a legum who they can force to work under gowachin law. McKie has some tense moments but talks his way out of it and is then briefed on Dosadi. Dosadi was populated twenty generations ago ...more
Florin Constantinescu
Dec 25, 2016 Florin Constantinescu rated it it was ok
This book had a promising start. Doing away with the unreadable style of its predecessor (Whipping Star) - it showed interesting ideas for about a third.
Then it quickly went downhill, going from large scale cool sci-fi ideas to bizarre Mieville style aliens involved in a 'who-cares-about' plot to overthrow a local government.
As if this wasn't bad, the last third of the book degenerated into one gigantic scene describing a trial in an alien court.
  • The Battle of Corrin (Legends of Dune, #3)
  • Macroscope
  • All My Sins Remembered
  • The Coming of the Quantum Cats
  • To Sail Beyond the Sunset
  • Earth
  • The Faded Sun Trilogy (The Faded Sun #1-3)
  • Protector (Known Space)
  • The Dune Encyclopedia
  • Dayworld (Dayworld #1)
  • The Neutronium Alchemist 2: Conflict (Night's Dawn 2)
  • Hour of the Horde
  • The Songs Of Distant Earth
  • Armageddon 2419 A.D.
  • The Alien Years
  • Breaking Strain (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 1)
  • Synthetic Worlds: The Business and Culture of Online Games
  • The Winds of Change and Other Stories
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi
More about Frank Herbert...

ConSentiency Universe (2 books)
  • Whipping Star

“More fool he to let himself become an addict to anything, even to living.” 6 likes
“Does a population have informed consent when that population is not taught the inner workings of its monetary system, and then is drawn, all unknowing, into economic adventures?” 4 likes