Start by marking “The Gluten-Free Bible: The Thoroughly Indispensable Guide to Negotiating Life without Wheat” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  178 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The definitive guide to the gluten-free lifestyle, completely revised and updated for the 2.2 million Americans with celiac disease

According to a landmark 2003 National Institutes of Health study, 2.2 million Americans suffer from celiac disease, an allergy to the protein gluten found in wheat. Since this book was first published in 1995 (as Against the Grain), Jax Peters
Published April 1st 2005 by Holt Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Gluten-Free Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gluten-Free Bible

Coffee, Tea, and Gluten Free by April  BrownA World of Flavor by Amber BarrettThe Healthy Chocoholic by Dawn J. ParkerCoffee, Tea, and Gluten Free by April  BrownCoffee, Tea, and Gluten Free by April  Brown
Gluten Free Cookbooks
8th out of 10 books — 4 voters
Celiac Disease by Peter H.R. GreenGluten-Free on a Shoestring by Nicole HunnThe Everything Guide to Living Gluten-Free by Jeanine FriesenBabyCakes Covers the Classics by Erin  McKennaWheat Belly by William  Davis
Gluten Free Resources and Cookbooks
20th out of 39 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Molly
Sep 03, 2012 Molly rated it did not like it
I've now gotten to the point where I've read a lot of nutrition books written by privileged white people but this one takes the cake. It just REEKS of privilege. She starts the book talking about caviar for fucks sake. Also racist comments about Chinese food, lumping all of Africa in one country and assuming off the bat that the reader is white. It's just irritating as hell to read this book. Also, she thinks she's so clever and funny but holy crap you're writing a nutrition book please shut up ...more
Lia
Mar 23, 2010 Lia rated it liked it
Shelves: health, gluten-free
The organization of this book is so strange. It isn't intuitive at all. The layout doesn't help much either. It is difficult to scan pages for content.

However, the author covers a lot of issues I hadn't thought of, such as how gluten intolerance is dealt with in the military, in prison, in nursing homes, etc.

There is also a significant portion of the book discussing the desire to "cheat" and eat gluten. If this is something you struggle with, this book might be good for you. Personally, I had a
AJ LeBlanc
Jan 31, 2012 AJ LeBlanc rated it did not like it
Shelves: food, cbr-iii
Yuck.

There were really helpful sections of this book where the author sticks purely to the facts. The sections on gluten free grains and flours is outstanding. She knows what she’s talking about.

However…

There is a lot in this book where she speaks in universal statements that are simply not true and incredibly off-putting if this is not your experience and reality. She often reminds you about how bad you felt when you kept losing all that weight and didn’t know why. Remember when your bones stuc
Stacey
Oct 24, 2009 Stacey rated it liked it
Shelves: cookery, health, imo
Helpful, if outdated, book about living gluten-free. It has practical suggestions regarding navigating the real world with a significant dietary requirement - strategies for restaurants and travel, as well as information on hidden sources of gluten.

I'd like to see an update on this book, knowledge regarding health impact has grown significantly since publication. An additional star off for focusing so much on the idea that Celiacs are underweight. We now know that obesity accounts for a notable
Jay
Nov 17, 2014 Jay rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People with Celiac Disease, Families with Celiac, Family and Friends of people with celiac
I really appreciate the depth of information in consumer-friendly form. It is rare to get the real day-to-day tips to living as an adult (or family) without gluten, and rarer still to get such a comprehensive picture. I very much appreciate the author's challenge to create access for others using the skills developed in living without gluten.

A few critiques, mostly related to the memoir-ish form - while the author is clear about pointing out the difference that privilege makes in accessing both
Sally
Oct 20, 2008 Sally rated it it was ok
I'm not a fan of the advice in this book. This was the first thing I read following my diagnosis, but I found her coping methods rather abrasive. She expects everyone around her to make all of these special arrangements for her, while I'd rather adapt to my surroundings and take responsibility for my own actions. That's a rather harsh review, but I came away from reading this bitter and self-pitying. However, there is some good basic advice here, I just would avoid recommending it for people str ...more
Heidi
Mar 17, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing
FABULOUS! If you just found out you are gluten intolerant or have celiacs disease, this book is A MUST READ! It's an easy and quick read and Jax gives you a great glimpse into the world of being gluten free. She especially emphasizes mourning over it all because food is EVERYWHERE and yes, it is hard to be gluten free. This book was such a life saver for me, but I felt it must be genetic because check out her maiden name? :)
Beki Rush
Jul 05, 2015 Beki Rush rated it liked it
I'm sure it was great at the time, but the information is outdated now.
Kerrianne
Oct 15, 2007 Kerrianne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Newly Diagnosed GF
Comprehensive guide to living gluten free - from dealing with the restaruant scene to house parties. Covers many of the same topics from her previous book - Against the Grain - but gives an updated outlook on living GF and covers the changes in the food industry since her first book was published in 1996. I had the opporutnity to attend a seminar by the author and met with her afterwards. Amazing woman.
Rebecca
Feb 22, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I was looking for recipes but this is really more of a lifestyle book. She covers the types of kitchen utensils that need to be replaced after an initial diagnosis, etiquette (always a toughy), eating out and other issues you never realized you were going to have to deal with. How do I fly now? Why do I cheat? I don't really like a few of her solutions but it got me thinking about things.
Amy
Apr 25, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
I cannot begin to describe how indispensible this book has been! The author is a prefect guide to beginning life gluten-free, addressing both the emotional & psychological issues of changing your diet AND the practical, "how-to" issues. The book includes recipes, restaurant recommendations, cosmetic cautions, medical resources, and engaging stories!
Jami Hilgedick
Jan 07, 2010 Jami Hilgedick rated it it was amazing
I am still reading this, but it has helped me through a lot. I was just diagnosed with celiac disease a few years ago and I have had a lot of problems with taking it our of my diet. But this book gives you a lot of helpful tips about what to do when you want something you cant have. Its a great guide for people with celiac!
Suzy
Jun 25, 2008 Suzy rated it did not like it
Shelves: food-and-diet
compared to other books on this topic there is a lot of mis-information. this books is NOT endorsed by any of the celiac discussion groups I have explored. although I initially thought there was some good info, the mix of that with false info is just scary for those who NEED the information for their health's sake!
Tammie
Aug 31, 2009 Tammie rated it it was amazing
Since we discovered Myles' gluten intolerance, this book has been a lifesaver in helping us learn more about the condition and how to live with it. It has really wonderful and thorough reference information and offers a lot of additional jumping off points for learning more about every aspect of living gluten-free.
Maggie Greensmith
Nov 15, 2009 Maggie Greensmith rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous guide to the Gluten Free world. I found it to be empowering and incredibly helpful. I would recommend this to anyone with Celiac! She also wrote an earlier book titled "Against the Grain" that looks very interesting as well.
Julianne
Feb 15, 2008 Julianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I am Celliac and this book is seriously good for those who have it or just have a wheat intolerance. It is very informative and a must read for those who have been diagnosed with either Celliac or Wheat intolerance.
Rachel
Mar 14, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone living gluten-free
Great advice on everything, from the best tasting mixes to how to travel gluten-free. I appreciated the author's candid insights about life without gluten and how it's okay to mourn the loss of wheat!
Rosanna
Nov 17, 2008 Rosanna rated it it was amazing
For those of us with that are either celiacs or gluten intolerant, great lists of those alternative products that actually taste good and not like cardboard or mush.
Denise
Jun 11, 2008 Denise rated it it was amazing
This is a great source for anyone with Celiac but also has some great insight into those suffering from chronic illness
m. soria
Jul 12, 2009 m. soria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
so much valuable information in here, great resource for anyone dealing with a GF life change
Andrea
Mar 08, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing
It made me feel normal and had wonderful resources for those of us who are gluten challenged.
Jan 20, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Very helpful and funny, too!
Avis Black
Holli B
Sep 18, 2007 Holli B rated it it was amazing
my-books
April Parrish
April Parrish is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2016
Eva North
Eva North marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
  • Living Gluten-Free for Dummies
  • The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your  Health--And What You Can Do to Take Control Now
  • Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee
  • Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back & How You Can Too
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice
  • Book of Witchery: Spells, Charms & Correspondences for Every Day of the Week
  • The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy, Wheat or Meat
  • Robert's Rules of Writing: 101 Unconventional Lessons Every Writer Needs to Know
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • Life in Rewind
  • The Biggest Loser Cookbook: More Than 125 Healthy, Delicious Recipes Adapted from NBC's Hit Show
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft