The Gluten-Free Bible: The Thoroughly Indispensable Guide to Negotiating Life without Wheat

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The definitive guide to the gluten-free lifestyle, completely revised and updated for the 2.2 million Americans with celiac disease

According to a landmark 2003 National Institutes of Health study, 2.2 million Americans suffer from celiac disease, an allergy to the protein gluten found in wheat. Since this book was first published in 1995 (as Against the Grain), Jax Peters...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Holt Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Gluten-Free Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gluten-Free Bible

Molly
I've now gotten to the point where I've read a lot of nutrition books written by privileged white people but this one takes the cake. It just REEKS of privilege. She starts the book talking about caviar for fucks sake. Also racist comments about Chinese food, lumping all of Africa in one country and assuming off the bat that the reader is white. It's just irritating as hell to read this book. Also, she thinks she's so clever and funny but holy crap you're writing a nutrition book please shut up...more
Lia
The organization of this book is so strange. It isn't intuitive at all. The layout doesn't help much either. It is difficult to scan pages for content.

However, the author covers a lot of issues I hadn't thought of, such as how gluten intolerance is dealt with in the military, in prison, in nursing homes, etc.

There is also a significant portion of the book discussing the desire to "cheat" and eat gluten. If this is something you struggle with, this book might be good for you. Personally, I had a...more
AJ LeBlanc
Yuck.

There were really helpful sections of this book where the author sticks purely to the facts. The sections on gluten free grains and flours is outstanding. She knows what she’s talking about.

However…

There is a lot in this book where she speaks in universal statements that are simply not true and incredibly off-putting if this is not your experience and reality. She often reminds you about how bad you felt when you kept losing all that weight and didn’t know why. Remember when your bones stuc...more
Stacey
Helpful, if outdated, book about living gluten-free. It has practical suggestions regarding navigating the real world with a significant dietary requirement - strategies for restaurants and travel, as well as information on hidden sources of gluten.

I'd like to see an update on this book, knowledge regarding health impact has grown significantly since publication. An additional star off for focusing so much on the idea that Celiacs are underweight. We now know that obesity accounts for a notable...more
Jay
May 17, 2011 Jay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with Celiac Disease, Families with Celiac, Family and Friends of people with celiac
I really appreciate the depth of information in consumer-friendly form. It is rare to get the real day-to-day tips to living as an adult (or family) without gluten, and rarer still to get such a comprehensive picture. I very much appreciate the author's challenge to create access for others using the skills developed in living without gluten.

A few critiques, mostly related to the memoir-ish form - while the author is clear about pointing out the difference that privilege makes in accessing both...more
Sally
I'm not a fan of the advice in this book. This was the first thing I read following my diagnosis, but I found her coping methods rather abrasive. She expects everyone around her to make all of these special arrangements for her, while I'd rather adapt to my surroundings and take responsibility for my own actions. That's a rather harsh review, but I came away from reading this bitter and self-pitying. However, there is some good basic advice here, I just would avoid recommending it for people str...more
Karin
Excellent!
Heidi
FABULOUS! If you just found out you are gluten intolerant or have celiacs disease, this book is A MUST READ! It's an easy and quick read and Jax gives you a great glimpse into the world of being gluten free. She especially emphasizes mourning over it all because food is EVERYWHERE and yes, it is hard to be gluten free. This book was such a life saver for me, but I felt it must be genetic because check out her maiden name? :)
Kerrianne
Oct 15, 2007 Kerrianne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Newly Diagnosed GF
Comprehensive guide to living gluten free - from dealing with the restaruant scene to house parties. Covers many of the same topics from her previous book - Against the Grain - but gives an updated outlook on living GF and covers the changes in the food industry since her first book was published in 1996. I had the opporutnity to attend a seminar by the author and met with her afterwards. Amazing woman.
Rebecca
I was looking for recipes but this is really more of a lifestyle book. She covers the types of kitchen utensils that need to be replaced after an initial diagnosis, etiquette (always a toughy), eating out and other issues you never realized you were going to have to deal with. How do I fly now? Why do I cheat? I don't really like a few of her solutions but it got me thinking about things.
Amy
I cannot begin to describe how indispensible this book has been! The author is a prefect guide to beginning life gluten-free, addressing both the emotional & psychological issues of changing your diet AND the practical, "how-to" issues. The book includes recipes, restaurant recommendations, cosmetic cautions, medical resources, and engaging stories!
Jami Hilgedick
I am still reading this, but it has helped me through a lot. I was just diagnosed with celiac disease a few years ago and I have had a lot of problems with taking it our of my diet. But this book gives you a lot of helpful tips about what to do when you want something you cant have. Its a great guide for people with celiac!
Suzy
compared to other books on this topic there is a lot of mis-information. this books is NOT endorsed by any of the celiac discussion groups I have explored. although I initially thought there was some good info, the mix of that with false info is just scary for those who NEED the information for their health's sake!
Tammie
Since we discovered Myles' gluten intolerance, this book has been a lifesaver in helping us learn more about the condition and how to live with it. It has really wonderful and thorough reference information and offers a lot of additional jumping off points for learning more about every aspect of living gluten-free.
Ashley mcd
My boyfriend bought me this book when I first found out- gluten was the enemy. AKA-- I had celiac disease. This book as a invaluable resource for me during my first year with eating gluten free.
It really breaks things down for the reader and has plenty of examples and recipes. Recommend!
Maggie Greensmith
This is a fabulous guide to the Gluten Free world. I found it to be empowering and incredibly helpful. I would recommend this to anyone with Celiac! She also wrote an earlier book titled "Against the Grain" that looks very interesting as well.
Julianne
I am Celliac and this book is seriously good for those who have it or just have a wheat intolerance. It is very informative and a must read for those who have been diagnosed with either Celliac or Wheat intolerance.
Rachel
Mar 14, 2008 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone living gluten-free
Great advice on everything, from the best tasting mixes to how to travel gluten-free. I appreciated the author's candid insights about life without gluten and how it's okay to mourn the loss of wheat!
Rosanna
For those of us with that are either celiacs or gluten intolerant, great lists of those alternative products that actually taste good and not like cardboard or mush.
Denise
This is a great source for anyone with Celiac but also has some great insight into those suffering from chronic illness
m. soria
so much valuable information in here, great resource for anyone dealing with a GF life change
Andrea
It made me feel normal and had wonderful resources for those of us who are gluten challenged.
Very helpful and funny, too!
Avis Black
Has some good advice.
Audrey
Great resource!
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Mothers Against the Grain: The Slightly Eccentric Guide to Living Well Without Gluten or Wheat The Gluten-Free Revolution: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know about Losing the Wheat, Reclaiming Your Health, and Eating Happily Ever After No More Cupcakes & Tummy Aches Gluten-Free Makeovers: Over 175 Recipes--from Family Favorites to Gourmet Goodies--Made Deliciously Wheat-Free