Start by marking “A Galaxy Not So Far Away: Writers And Artists On Twenty Five Years Of " Star Wars "” as Want to Read:

A classic assemblage of pop writing at its best on a classic series of popular movies at their very best, A Galaxy Not So Far Away is a book for everyone who loves the Star Wars films and seeks to understand just what it is about these films that so entranced generations of filmgoers.
Published April 1st 2003 by Allison & Busby (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Galaxy Not So Far Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Galaxy Not So Far Away

Elise
This was a collection of essays put out before Episode 3 came out, so it is not completely up to date with the Star Wars ulniverse. The common theme for almost all the writers was 'I was (7,8,9 or 10) when the original Star wars came out, and it was one of the defining things of my childhood'. From there, the essays go in many different directions, some social commentary, some political commentary, some personal commentary. It was a fun light read.
I started it before Carrie Fisher died, so it b
Dora
Jun 08, 2015 Dora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nerd-squad
Read this book if you like Star Wars, pop culture, or personal essays.

Don't read this book if you thought Star Wars was overrated, you hate it when people tell stories, or you live under a rock and don't really know what this whole "Star Wars" thing is.

Field Notes: I picked this book up specifically for the essay "Pale Starship, Pale Rider: The Ambiguous Appeal of Boba Fett" (which did not disappoint, by the way), but the rest of the essays were interesting enough to merit me finishing the book.
Beau
Jan 06, 2014 Beau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book that shows a few things. First, it reflects that time right after 9\11. Second, it illustrates just how many different ways people can interpret the same set of silly movies and third it features some of the neatest little moments in writing I've come across in a while. most of it is good, but some of it is really damn good.
Tina
Dec 09, 2012 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
Some essays are better than others. I could relate to the excitement of growing up Star Wars, the Sears Christmas catalog and all that good stuff. Many an action figure appeared in my Christmas stocking in my youth. My fave essay related to defending The Phantom Menace and Jar Jar Binks's existence. Priceless!
Nicholas
Jun 29, 2008 Nicholas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good stuff in here. It takes me out of it when one of the essays speaks well of Episodes I and II or brings up 9/11, though. Standouts include Elvis Mitchell's essay about Billy Dee Williams and America's greatest living writer (at least at the time of publication) Neal Pollock's spoof.
David Volper
Highly technical layout. Informative and engaging in sections. An interesting odyssey through the eyes of those of us affected in one way or another by the Star Wars phenomena that had enraptured fans since "A New Hope" hit rolled across the silver screen in theaters nationwide.
Jesse
Mar 03, 2009 Jesse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The different essays in this book were hit or miss for me. I either found them really interesting or I was bored to tears.
Bill
As others found it: hit and miss. Neal Pollack's contribution was vile.
Krishna
As might be expected in such a book, the quality of the essays is uneven. But some of them are pretty thought provoking.
Kim Garbow
Nov 13, 2007 Kim Garbow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
lots of fun, even if you're not a star wars freak.
Jerome
Jerome rated it liked it
May 06, 2014
K. Thomas
K. Thomas rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Vivek
Vivek rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Keith Davis
Keith Davis rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2009
Will Plunkett
Will Plunkett rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2011
A.S. McDermott
A.S. McDermott rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Owen
Owen rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Ewheeler
Ewheeler rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2012
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2011
E.W. Pierce
E.W. Pierce rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Anthony Pinder
Anthony Pinder rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
josh
josh rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2007
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Aneesh
Aneesh rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2011
Stefan Pulpitel
Stefan Pulpitel rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2016
Jeffry Palermo
Jeffry Palermo rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Jay Dougherty
Jay Dougherty rated it really liked it
May 23, 2013