Start by marking “Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)” as Want to Read:
Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)

Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan #5)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,140 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
China has launched an attack on Taiwan. The U.S. isn't strong enough to help -- until Masters and McLanahan show up. Together, they have built the EB-52 Megafortress...the unsinkable "flying battleship". But is it enough to turn the tides?
Paperback, Special Overseas Edition, 379 pages
Published 1997 by HarperCollins (first published June 4th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of Steel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of Steel

Flight of the Old Dog by Dale BrownCatch-22 by Joseph HellerFlight of the Intruder by Stephen CoontsBomber by Len DeightonDay of the Cheetah by Dale Brown
Military Aviation Novels
9th out of 59 books — 40 voters
Jurassic Park by Michael CrichtonThe Andromeda Strain by Michael CrichtonThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancySphere by Michael CrichtonPrey by Michael Crichton
Best Technothrillers Ever
385th out of 510 books — 834 voters

More lists with this book...

Mr.B
Apr 10, 2010 Mr.B rated it it was ok
If you enjoy catalogs of military hardware ala Tom Clancy, with even more precise nomenclature, shifting perspectives, convoluted plot structures, inane adolescent dialog, and silly character motivations--this could be the book for you.
Seth
Jul 06, 2008 Seth rated it it was ok
Shelves: military-fiction
Dale Brown is a military author who couldn't write charachters to save his life. Nevertheless, this story was shorter, less redundant and in fact more practical and exciting than the previous novel which I had read by him (Flight of the old dog) so therefore this novel recieves one extra star. However I will never ever, read another Dale Brown novel.
Nov 24, 2014 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
I'm struggling with giving this book 2 stars... but I just can't go any higher.

Patrick McLanahan is back... eventually! Following Day of the Cheetah, he's retired from the Air Force and running a bar in Sacramento. But old pal Phillip Freeman convinces him to come back and join a new organization that flies support missions for the NSA.

Iran has taken control of an aircraft carrier and is wreaking havoc in the Persian Gulf. The President doesn't want a full-scale shooting war so he sends in a s
Silvana
Dec 07, 2007 Silvana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
My first impression: a bit Tom Clancy-ish. Okay, that’s not fair because I have read Tom Clancy’s novels first. Anyway, it is a technothriller, no doubt about that. One thing that makes it rather different with Clancy novels is its emphasis on air combats and aircrafts. Nothing strange with that, of course, since Brown himself is a former bomber/navigator.

The plot is well-built and I rather like the fact that Brown kept his focus on one main plot, without including too many unnecessary side-plot
Bob Conner
Jan 18, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military-war
Dale Brown had me with Flight of the Old Dog and he doesn't believe in catch and release. Another awesome read from Brown and the very effective use of continuation of main characters.

When I read Dale Brown, I'm always awed by his technical knowledge, but even more intriguing is his almost clairvoyant ability to write stories that seem to connect with future events.
Ultan
Henri Moreaux
The 5th instalment in the Patrick McLanahan storyline is a solid addition to the series.

After being disbanded in 'Day of the Cheetah' Patrick is recruited to fly the B-2A stealth bomber, specifically a test airframe he helped design, against a belligerent Iran who wishes to exert control over the region.

Written in 1996 is almost parallels some of the chest-beating done by Iran in recent times in regards to the Strait of Hormuz and surrounding areas. Lots of precision and excellent flight / engag
Bob Stephens
Review of above

Review of above

Obviously part of a series and designed to encourage the readers to purchase additional books. Not very plausible but somewhat entertaining. I don't think I will buy any more of the series.

Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
Good and informative informative

Enjoyable for the 1st two thirds of the story, then it got beyond what early part of the book established. Plus the sexual chapter was needless
Edmond Humm
Dale Brown gives us the usual technical details, but misses the boat on plot. Too much political dialog that slows, no, stops the action cold.

An out of control Iranian General takes control of all military and an aircraft carrier on loan from China. An secret American high tech stealth bomber spoils his plans.
S.K. Whalen
Dale Brown, first novel by him. Holly he can really write miltary action, adventure and suspense. The action was on air/land and sea. As an ex-military female, still found the jargon and wording at times hard to understand as it is so specialized.
Would have liked to have read more character interaction and more sub-story lines. It is so packed with action that sometimes you have to stop reading to digest what it happening, and re-cap the fighting scene in your mind. The hardest thing for me was
jeni
Oct 12, 2015 jeni rated it liked it
Shelves:
nice
Lee
Feb 13, 2015 Lee rated it it was amazing
Reading now (again) on my tablet as I recall episodes from his many other books; you have to read them all. Air Force descriptive terms- you learn them all and get excited when...woops, can't reveal the story but always twists and turns with many similarities to even current events with the world tensions.
Jun 14, 2013 John rated it it was ok
Well ... I think I'm done with Mr. Brown. Saw it as very uneven and redundant. I can get past the techno crap. I can live with the lack of character development. I can't overlook the awkward dialog. My God. Do people really converse that way? One more thing: I had a good giggle at the sex scene, even though I'm sure I wasn't supposed to. Sorry, Dale. I'm sure you were great flying really expensive aircraft. Maybe the Air Force needs a consultant.
Ron
1st of all, I found this to be a somewhat tough read because of all the military jargon and abbreviations. Also, really not much interested in Iranian politics, even in a fictional account.

But, the story was good. The action scenes were edge of seat good. In the end, that overcame my problems with the book. Probably will look into more Dale Brown books.
Benton Mcpeak
Aug 01, 2014 Benton Mcpeak rated it really liked it
McLanahan does it again; he saves the day. I love the "when men where men" type books. He does have a personal life he cares very much about but he still lives up to his standard of duty. I'll read the rest of Dale Brown's McLanahan books.
Bryce
Jul 17, 2012 Bryce rated it really liked it
dale brown trumps clancy every time. Theres no 3 page descriptions on the weather or some meaningless sub plot. with Brown you get to the point.. Pure action, hard to put down. If you know nothing about the military, it's acronyms, and technical terms you should pick up a text book first. or maybe brown could put a glossary in there for you folks.
Justin
May 05, 2012 Justin rated it liked it
Another typical Dale Brown book, with lots of action and suspence with a bit too much technological talk mixed in. This book details an aggressive Iran attempting to shut off the Strait of Hormuz and the Gulf of Oman to foreigners. Of course, they get owned by the US in the end.
Marilyn
Jun 12, 2009 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Well...this was a really good book, but so technical that I only understood 40% of what I read - literally. The guys will love it. It was well written...just a lot of Air Force, jet plane jargon. Takes place in Iran.
Pete
Nov 28, 2009 Pete rated it liked it
Back to Maclanahan, Wendy Tork, and Jon Masters -- love them. Another good, well-written story. Brown does a good job of putting together reasonable scenarios that I enjoy riding along on.
Jen
Apr 14, 2010 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
This was an okay book - enough to interest me on the airplane yesterday. It reminds me of Tom Clancey Op Center books, so if you like that genre, this would be a good author/series to try.
Ian
Jul 19, 2013 Ian rated it it was ok
Beach book techo-thriller. The characters were too one-dimensional, the technology of the Americans was over-whelming and the villains too fanatical. Not one I'd recommend.
Barbara
Oct 02, 2015 Barbara marked it as to-read
Shelves: abandoned
Just finished SILVER TOWER by Dale Brown which was laughable. Giving this away before I forget how bad the other one was and read it by mistake.
Chuck
May 05, 2010 Chuck rated it it was ok
A typical Dale Brown tale about the U.S. National Security Agency/Air
Force secret battle with Iran and Iran's new naval battle group.
•*•.suprasixxcinco.•*•
I did like this book. I just can't help but put in the same wheel house as Tom Clancy's books. This is why I felt a little let down.
Richard
Dec 19, 2008 Richard rated it liked it
One of Dale Brown's older books. Interesting, but does not have as relevant a technology base as some of his current books.
Aug 21, 2008 John rated it liked it
Recommends it for: military readers
Good story--I think the part I loved most about this book is that it advances Patrick s love life.
Thomas Roth
Aug 29, 2013 Thomas Roth rated it really liked it
Quite the thriller. The technology involved is stunning. The ending sets up more excitement.
Matt Chick
I love this series. I'm now reading some of the first in the series since I missed them.
Randomwalker
Nov 28, 2008 Randomwalker rated it really liked it
Good average Dale Brown style. Not less childish, though.
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
  • Force of Eagles (Jack Locke, #2)
  • Cuba (Jake Grafton, #7)
  • Vortex
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of eleven consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997) ...more
More about Dale Brown...

Patrick McLanahan (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
  • Night of the Hawk (Patrick McLanahan, #2)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4)
  • Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)
  • The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)
  • Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan, #8)
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)