Start by marking “Fermenting Revolution: How to Drink Beer and Save the World” as Want to Read:
Fermenting Revolution: How to Drink Beer and Save the World

Fermenting Revolution: How to Drink Beer and Save the World

Fermenting Revolution delivers an empowering message about how individuals can change the world through the simple act of having a beer. Chris O’Brien presents the case for beer as both the cause of and solution to all of the world’s problems. Beer has contributed to the best qualities of civilization, but it is also helping to destroy them.

The global beer industry relies
Published November 1st 2006 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Fermenting Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fermenting Revolution

Steve Bennett
Nov 07, 2011 Steve Bennett rated it it was amazing
If not the complete Bible for hipsters, at least a chapter of the sacred text. When I was growing up, you drank Bud. And that was that. Fermenting Revolution, however, demonstrates that the path to self-actualization is best achieved by drinking as many craft beers as humanly possible from every slacker clown in Oregon, Colorado, and northern California who decides to use his or her trust fund to start a micro-brewery.

Actually the book is not about that at all. Instead O'Brien gives a detailed
Emily
Sep 05, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: wine-and-beer
What have I learned from this book? Well let me tell you. First, I had no idea that Lost Coast had two women brewers in charge! So AWESOME! Their names are Barbara Groom and Wendy Pound and they are my heroes. I’ve only had the snark-ily labeled Indica, which is what comes to mind for me (and I know for sure others) when they have a really funky IPA. I will be sampling more of their catalog later! I learned from this book that in the early days of brewing, women comprised the bulk of brewers, an ...more
Leon Sammartino
Aug 06, 2014 Leon Sammartino rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, non-fiction, beer
If you read only one book about beer in the next 12 months, you could do a lot worse than ‘Fermenting Revolution’ by Christopher O’Brien.

This is not your standard beer book. It isn’t 1000 beers to drink before you die, 500 of the world’s best beers, 100 best beers from the last year, 73 beers to drink whilst wearing a hat, or one of the thousands of other beer list books. The giveaway to this might be the subtitle ‘How to Drink Beer and Save the World’

It’s a big claim, and I’m not sure that it
Dan
May 11, 2009 Dan rated it it was ok
Shelves: beer
I was expecting to be whipped into a self-righteous fury by this book, but instead found myself put off by the very propaganda I expected to be enraptured by. I expect bias from any book, and since I'm a human I'm more willing to overlook and forgive it when it's biased toward my beliefs, but Christopher Mark O'Brien finds a way to make everything about beer, and even I -- about as big an advocate for beer as there is -- know that's crap. George Washington had ice brought to his house for coolin ...more
HeavyReader
Jun 25, 2007 HeavyReader rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Cassidy sent me this book for my birthday in February of 2007, and ten months later, in December, I finished reading it. I kept picking it up, reading a bit, putting it down for a while, picking it up again, etc.

This book about how drinking homebrewed and microbrewed beer can save the world is much longer than it needs to be. I felt like the author was saying the same things over and over again, until I got to the point where I just kept thinking, OK I GET IT! I like the way he ties globalizatio
Paul
Jan 13, 2008 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: beer
This is an interesting book. Towards the center of the book I found myself becoming increasingly frustrated. I mentioned it to my partner and they pointed out that the authors views sounded like my own... pretty much a doh! moment. Yes I was getting a little frustrated as the author labored over points I thought were obvious to myself. Otherwise the early chapters with a whirlwind tour through the history of brewing up to present day and the later chapters on the health benefits to yourself and ...more
Emily
Aug 17, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it
How can you go wrong with a title like this?! This is an interesting read - lots of beer history and even feminist beer history. There's much talk of sustainability as well. And I guess I never really thought about how breweries are a good model for sustainable business - in addition to the superstar of sustainable breweries, New Belgium, Coors and AB are highlighted for their solid environmental practices. And it's clear that the author has thought a lot about brewing and sustainability. This b ...more
Steev Hise
Oct 26, 2011 Steev Hise rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun, own-it, food
This book gets a 5-stars for effort, but a 3 stars for execution, so that averages out to 4. I sympathize with all the ideas and issues that this book is about, but the author is just not a very good or exciting writer. The book reads kind of like a long marketing pamphlet or non-profit charity ask letter. That's a real slow slog when you're talking 275 pages of it.

That said, there's some interesting historical and scientific facts and figures in here, here and there but in between those there's
John G.
Aug 19, 2014 John G. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beerituality
One of the best beer books out there, period. It's a very unique and distinct book, covers the history of beer and brewing, but also delves deeply into the social ethics, the politics, the philosophy of beer and dare I say it, the spirituality of beer, hence known as beerituality. This is a very deep and serious book, talks of the power of beer, breweries and pubs to forge and maintain community in the face of globalized pressures to conform and bow down to the lowest common denominator. The sub ...more
Jen
Aug 16, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
This is not a book I would normally have thought to read, but since Chuck had a copy lying around and I was in need of reading material one day, I thought I would give it a start. I was therefor quite surprised to find myself somewhat absorbed into the history of beer, particularly the anaylis regarding religion and gender roles. By the end of the book, not only was I completely keen to make my own beer, but I actually thought there was some real merit to saving the world one tasty beer at a tim ...more
Josh
Apr 14, 2008 Josh rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
To paraphrase Homer Simpson: "Ah, beer. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems." If Tim O'Brien is to be believed, Homer got it half right.

This is a fun book and is meant to be entertaining. O'Brien tackles the topic of beer in a way that will be pleasing to hip urban lefties. Still, for a book that bombards the reader with facts, it noticeably lacks sources.

The book is good for diversion, but it won't actually save the world.
Jefe
May 20, 2008 Jefe rated it liked it
a quick read. he throws some interesting thoughts out - meant as a "bar room debate" on paper. have you heard of Stone Mill Pale Ale? USDA Certified Organic, made in N.H. actually made by A.B. but they thought if people saw A.B & organic, they'd blow it off, so they spun-off a "separate" brewery. it's pretty good stuff - I tried it b4 I read the A.B. connection...
TheTyee.ca
May 07, 2008 TheTyee.ca added it
Shelves: reviews
Beer, like so many other products, is largely in the hands of giant corporations. Fermenting Revolution: How To Drink Beer and Save the World by Christopher O'Brien is a book about how the people can take back the brew and join together in saying, "If I can't drink good beer, it's not my revolution."

read more ...
Hannah Debelius
Dec 11, 2016 Hannah Debelius rated it really liked it
Chose this book to read for a projet I was doing on craft brewing and sustainability - it was absolutely perfect. An interesting read with a lot of history and surprising amount of social history and dynamic exploring the role of gender in brewing.
Michael
Jan 04, 2008 Michael rated it it was ok
High faluting rhetoric for such an earthy subject. If you want to read the Cliff Notes for this one, check out the Logan Square Draught Beer Preservation Society's manifesto at http://bringbackthedraught.com/cms/lo...
Ryan Morton
Aug 04, 2012 Ryan Morton rated it it was ok
Shelves: beer
The book started out OK, but then went into a repeating rant about how beer is the future and savior of humans. If the author turned down the amplification from 10 to 7, it would be greatly improved.
Censtrom
Mar 27, 2008 Censtrom rated it it was amazing
Gotta tell you - I love beer!
Mike Clinton
It appears that jesus turned water into beer and not wine. Also, civilization itself was formed around beer.
Jonathan
Jan 10, 2008 Jonathan rated it it was ok
Reportedly about brewing and sustainability, but I would say that at least half of the book is pretty worthless. Still, I'm not done yet, so I'll keep you updated.
Bill
Sep 11, 2009 Bill added it
As much as I dislike the large commercial beers (AB, Coors, Miller,etc) I discovered here that they have all done extremely well in conserving and protecting our natural resources.
Dean
Feb 20, 2008 Dean rated it liked it
It's good but it should be a few chapters shorter
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2010
Mary Humphrey
Mary Humphrey rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2014
Dane MacPhail
Dane MacPhail rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Chris Chinchilla
Chris Chinchilla rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2014
Will
Will rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2010
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was ok
Jul 22, 2008
Monique Lawson
Monique Lawson rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Matt Fox
Matt Fox rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Readers That Love...: Post-Hypnotic Press Audiobook GCs 1 1 Apr 19, 2017 01:01PM
  • IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale
  • Radical Brewing: Recipes, Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass
  • Michael Jackson's Great Beers of Belgium
  • Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction
  • Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home
  • The Years of Talking Dangerously
  • Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch
  • Should We Burn Babar?: Essays on Children's Literature and the Power of Stories
  • Radical Hope: Ethics in the Face of Cultural Devastation
  • Beyond the Hoax: Science, Philosophy and Culture
  • For the Love of Hops: The Practical Guide to Aroma, Bitterness and the Culture of Hops
  • Higher Superstition: The Academic Left and Its Quarrels with Science