Start by marking “A Crazy Little Thing Called Death (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Crazy Little Thing Called Death (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #6)

A Crazy Little Thing Called Death (Blackbird Sisters Mystery #6)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,396 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Nora Blackbird has made the society pages yet again. The impoverished Philadelphia heiress has agreed to wed Mick Abruzzo, son of New Jersey’s most notorious mobster. Now Nora has to help him survive the Blackbird curse: Every time a Blackbird sister marries, the groom is bound to die.

But Nora’s superstitions are eclipsed by some ominous news. Penny Devine, ex-Hollywood
Published March 6th 2007 by NAL Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about A Crazy Little Thing Called Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Crazy Little Thing Called Death

Kayeb
Just a fun read.... I liked the main character and her family, intrigued by her relationship with Mick, and where that may go, all in all I will read others in this series.

Impoverished Philadelphia heiress Nora Blackbird has agreed to wed Mick Abruzzo, son of New Jersey's most notorious mobster, leaving the city's bluebloods in shock. Then Nora and her sisters get some ominous news-Sweet Penny Devine, ex-Hollywood starlet and daughter of the Philadelphia Devines, has mysteriously disappeared. Ev
Mailis Viiand
Dialog Martin writes is always funny and to the point and keeps surprising me to no end...even something frivolous can be satisfying if its been done so well...and the frustration of having meddling relatives is real and sometimes i think the main heroine should be awarded as worlds most patient sister, but in the end the comedyball keeps rolling with vigor, martin writes a pretty darn good book...this one has a little drama in it too, and it only adds warmth to it all...it never gets to sappy o ...more
Kerry Allen
Nora is reminded every five pages what it means to be in a mob family, and every five pages, she is surprised and distraught. Nothing Mick does is ever good enough to compensate for his EEEEEEEVIL. He's like a puppy on a "but I love you" leash that she uses to reel him in so she can kick him, and it is officially on my last nerve.

Repeat after me: LOVE is ACCEPTANCE. If there's any "He'd be perfect, if he'd only change into a completely different person," you need to cut him loose and find a com
JoAnne
Elise
I really like this series. This one was pretty true to form. I found it less hysterically funny, though several scenes made me laugh out loud. On the other hand, I thought several of the characters were getting a little actual depth. Overall, very enoyable.
Susan
Suzanne
In this Blackbird sisters mystery, Nora decides that she is done with Michael, their lives and values just don't match up. Then, she changes her mind, again. As the book ends, Emma, Nota's wild, horse-loving sister announces she is expecting. There are no hints given as to the father. I am sure Nora will struggle with this as she just lost her baby, a child she very much wanted. And speaking of children, we learned in this book that in college Nora supplied eggs to fertilize sperm for a friend a ...more
Betty
Jan 31, 2015 Betty added it
The Blackbird Sisters are a fun and fast read for me. This book disappointed me as it had no real plot. There a number of themes that didn't seem to go anywhere. Nora and Mick have separated again. Libby and Emma are there usually zany selves. The themes seem to take us in different direction and not brought together.
Nora and Lucy attention a beach memorial for movie star Penny DeVine. While there AM arm is found and her family wants to buried it. The question is Penny DEAD or has she disappeare
Devon
I am a huge fan of the Blackbird sisters mysteries, I have read each of them as soon as they were released and will be pre-ordering the next installment 'MURDER MELTS IN YOUR MOUTH'. I am saying all this to say that although 'A CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED DEATH' was not my favorite book in the series it is still very much a series worth reading.

Having said that, I found that 'A CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED DEATH' was somewhat repetitive. There was nothing fresh in this storyline, the mystery was just
Cherisse
Dharia Scarab
Another not as good as the beginning of the series book. I'll keep reading in hopes that it gets better.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out
Amanda Meggs
I like the Blackbird sisters but I'm finding Nora a little pathetic. I get that she cares a lot what society thinks of her and I can't help feeling that she comes over as pretty shallow. Her feelings about Mick are conflicted, but again I think it's really about "what will people think?" It gets old real fast.

The mystery is good, although I worked it out early, it was still good.
Veronica
Libby has emerged as my favorite Blackbird sister, hands down. Nora, though being the main protagonist, is just a little too much of a Miss Goody Two Shoes. It was charming at first but it's starting to wear thin now...especially in relation to Mick. Sure, he's a reformed bad boy with a shady past, but he has a huge heart and the people who DON'T have sticks up their asses seem to think so too. Nora needs to decide once and for all if she trusts him or not, otherwise she needs to let him find so ...more
Sallee
Nora Blackbird and her sisters are at it again in this madcap mystery. This one has a few gruesome moments in it but that makes it all the more "toothsome". Oh, by the way, there are tigers in this story. So much going on and that makes it hard to put down, so I didn't.
Dorothy Timm
I didn't carre about this book at all. There were characters that kept being introduced that weren't really explained and relationships weren't explained. By the time I got to the end, I was so glad the book was done!
Cindy
I really enjoy this series a fun read while talking about relationships, family and oh yes, murder.
Njbatz
Slow start, probably would be have been better to start with the first of the series.
Kristen
Funny, clever, and full of interesting twists. I loved the dresses! There were a few parts closer to the end I wasn't thrilled with, but over all I enjoyed this one quite a bit.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
DNF couldn't get into it.
Alexandra
Mastermia
My absolute least favorite of all the books in this series. I enjoyed aspects, but the mystery got to be eyrollingly ridiculous and the addition of Ben Bloom as a potential rival for Nora’s affections was laughable. I know that happily ever after leads to dull characters, but the constant will-they-or-won’t-they gets to be tedious. I still enjoy some of the regular characters, but the whole thing seemed forced and a little haphazard to me.

Jann Barber
The sixth outing for the Blackbird sisters.

Nora suffered a miscarriage. She is now engaged to Michael Abruzzo, son of a notorious New Jersey mobster.

In this book, former child star Penny Devine goes missing. Penny's brother, Porter "Potty" Devine, throws a memorial party and polo match instead of a funeral. Nora finds what could be Penny's severed hand and this puts a damper on the festivities.

More frothy fun.
Jan
Nora finds herself in the middle of yet another mystery, this time: What happened to a local celebrity and whose hand was it that she found at the polo match? Yep, it can only be a Blackbird Sisters Mystery. These books never fail to delight. The couture alone is worth reading the book. But there is so much more. Best read in series, otherwise, the mind just might boggle.
Jenny
Jun 12, 2009 Jenny added it
Once i pic up the book from the library i was like, oo i will enjoy this book and i did. Nora Blackbird a little detective in this book who tries to crack the secrets of life. There were many parts when she try to solve some cases that she made some really funny mistakes and it cracked me up. This book is very funny but yet mystically interesting.
Pat
Jan 17, 2015 Pat added it
A very slow read. Surprise twist in the end.
Taryn
I'm getting a little frustrated with the love story between Nora and Mick. I'm really hoping that the next book has them getting over the "we're from different worlds " mentality. Actually was a little scared when Nancy Martin introduced the Tigers. Laughed at myself for that one! Good easy read.
Kristen
It's been a little over a year since I read her books in the series. Still, although I jumped #5 in the cozy series and read #6 out of order, it's still an enjoyable good read to peruse with bits of humor and intrigue. I'll be reading #5, 7-8 later this year. What a great read in 3 days.
Sarah Bauman
Just finished this book and it was great. This is the first of Nancy's books that I have read and I do plan on reading more. Great plot line, and keeps you on your toes. Definitely need to check this book out for sure.
Grandma Weaver
I think this is the last in the Blackbird sisters mysteries. I've enjoyed them and I hope she writes another in the series. There just fun cozy mysteries. Kind of my inbetween books when whatever I'm reading gets too serious.
Melinda
If you enjoy the Janet Evanovich series, this is a good comparable. Quirky family, hunky love interest, and murder & fun mayhem. Martin the author is easy and fast in style.
  • Blue Blood (Debutante Dropout, #1)
  • Pretty in Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3)
  • Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)
  • Unscrewed (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery #3)
  • Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3)
  • A Hoe Lot of Trouble (A Nina Quinn Mystery, #1)
Winner of the 2009 Lifetime Achievement award for mystery writing from Romantic Times magazine, Nancy Martin announces the release of the 8th book in her popular Blackbird Sisters mystery series, NO WAY TO KILL A LADY. Set in Philadelphia, the story features three heiresses whose parents have run off with their trust funds. Now thay have a chance to regain their wealth when their aunt, "Madcap Mad ...more
More about Nancy Martin...

Blackbird Sisters Mystery (10 books)
  • How to Murder a Millionaire (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #2)
  • Some Like it Lethal (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #3)
  • Cross Your Heart and Hope to Die (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #4)
  • Have Your Cake and Kill Him Too (Blackbird Sisters Mystery #5)
  • Murder Melts in Your Mouth (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #7)
  • No Way to Kill a Lady (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #8)
  • Little Black Book of Murder: A Blackbird Sisters Mystery
  • A Little Night Murder (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #10)
How to Murder a Millionaire (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #1) Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #2) Some Like it Lethal (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #3) Cross Your Heart and Hope to Die (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #4) Have Your Cake and Kill Him Too (Blackbird Sisters Mystery #5)