Start by marking “Little Girl Lost” as Want to Read:
Little Girl Lost

Little Girl Lost

Published July 1st 2006 by Random House UK (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Little Girl Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Girl Lost

Viola
Apr 28, 2014 Viola rated it really liked it
I liked the book and I did like to hear what happened to the family after the war. Being German living in England myself, the sentence that made me cry most was: I still cook traditional German food ... So I suppose I make my home life a little bit German.
Holly Beresford
Sep 08, 2015 Holly Beresford rated it it was ok
I understand that this women is not your regular writer, this is a one off novel she has written for her own pleasure/ comfort, but I can't help but become bored of her waffling on. there is no rhythm to the book. there is one thing that happens and then another and then another and then this happened in there as well but I forgot to say so so I'll slot it in here.

it's a lovely story and I feel if recreated by an experienced novelist it could be a great story with twists and turns.
Rose  Alice
Jul 16, 2010 Rose Alice rated it it was ok
Sammi McSporran
Jan 12, 2015 Sammi McSporran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This is a beautiful, moving story, and one that has stayed with me in the years since I first read it. For a long time it was my favourite book. The raw emotions in the book are both uplifting and heartbreaking, and to know this story is absolutely true is just incredible. There are so many parts of the book that still haunt me today, almost 7 years since I read it. I will definitely read it again, and give a more detailed review then.
Cosmas Ogbobe
one of my best novels. made me develop interest in reading novels.
Aug 18, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
I found this really moving, it's basically a true story about a young girl and her sister who travel across Germany to find their mother during the last throes, really of World War 2. I was just like 'woh' the entire way through it, although I did find that the end went on for a while.
Angela
Aug 19, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
A very moving read, well written with a few "goose bump" moments. Enjoyed it and definitely would recommend
Ktruffolo Ruffolo
Aug 06, 2009 Ktruffolo Ruffolo rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Intersting story about two little girls on their own during WWII.
Monica
Jun 07, 2016 Monica rated it really liked it
My favorite quote from the book: "Before you go to bed, give your troubles to God. He will be up all night anyway."

This was an amazing and emotional story of Barbie (7 yrs) and her older sister, Eva (19 yrs). You come away from this story loving Eva for the big sister that she was. Incredible. Everyone should have a big sister like that, or BE a big sister like that...or both.

The writing style works well through the traveling/hardship because it's coming from Barbel and feels appropriate for a l
nat
Jan 17, 2012 nat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kisah nyata ini membuatku teringat, bahwa korban keganasan NAZI bukan hanya suku bangsa Yahudi, namun juga orang Jerman kala itu, bahkan seorang anak kecil bernama Barbel (Barbie) dan kakaknya (Eva) yang berjuang dalam sebuah perjalanan panjang demi bertemu dengan ibu tercinta. Mereka yang terpisahkan dalam situasi perang, melintasi Jerman yang bergolak dan menjadi saksi betapa mengerikannya efek perang itu di sepanjang perjalanan.
Barbie belum juga remaja, sedangkan Eva baru sekitar 19 tahun. Du
Josefin Nordqvist
Little Girl Lost is a true story, and that is clear throughout the book. There has been no attempt at making the story seem more thrilling or sad than it already is in itself.
This makes the book both a five star and yet less stars. It is not a book you read to feel thrilled. It is a book about a woman's life. And the life is hard and horrible at times. But it is also good just like an ordinary life.

What I like about this book is that you got to know how it was for the people during the war. Th
Li 德國
May 31, 2010 Li 德國 is currently reading it
In 1945, seven-year-old Barbie and her sister Eva were trapped, terrified, in war-torn Germany. With their father missing, and hundreds of miles from their mother, news of the approaching army left them confronted with an impossible choice: to face invasion, or to flee on foot. Eva, aged 19, was determined to find her mother. For Barbie, 12 years younger, the journey was to be more perilous but, spurred on by her sister’s courage and her desperate desire to be reunited with her mother, she joine ...more
Denise
May 26, 2016 Denise rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely an amazing book. Such wonderful characters. At times it brought me to tears. What a wonderful read
Cate
Dec 08, 2011 Cate rated it it was ok
This was an interesting story of Babel & her older sister Eva who become separated from their family and walk across Germany in the final days of WWII. Not brilliantly written and the ending lets it down somewhat - really detracts from the drama & human interest of the sisters legging it back to Hamburg to find their parents. It's an incredible trek, living off the kindness of strangers with some scary & horrible moments for them. But it interesting in that it's a perspective from hi ...more
Mariposa
Aug 11, 2012 Mariposa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es fällt mir schwer eine autobiographische Geschichte , die so persönlich und traumatisch ist , zu "bewerten". Ich bin sehr interessiert an persönlichen Geschichten aus der Zeit des 2. Weltkrieges, wie in die Deutschen erlebt haben. Ich find es wichtig, dass die Menschen ihre Geschichten und ihre Sicht der Dinge erzählen, solange es noch Zeitzeugen gibt. Denn für mich gibt es nicht nur eine Sicht auf die Dinge, die alle Menschen dieses Landes verurteilt. Außerdem war auch meine Großmutter zu der ...more
Aira Relente
Oct 04, 2015 Aira Relente rated it really liked it
I want to read this book.
Diah
Nov 28, 2011 Diah rated it liked it
Buku ini sangat mengharu biru, perjuangan dua orang anak untuk kembali ke pagkuan Mutti (sang Bunda), melewati kerasnya kehidupan jalan saat perang, bertemu dengan orang-orang yang baik dan bahkan ada pula yang sangat kejam dan tidak berprikemanusian. Tetapi dengan kegigihan dan tekad bulat mereka akhirnya bertemu dan berkumpul kembali bersama sang Bunda disusul sang Ayah pun kembali beberapa saat setelahnya dari medan perang.
Sungguh kisah hidup yang sangat inspiratif.
Sam Clarke
Hmm, felt rather arduous in the end. Interesting to hear this ww2 story told from a German childs perspective, but the post-war detail wasn't necessary and I'm afraid was boring.
Zahra
Jan 24, 2015 Zahra rated it liked it
Good book... The style of writing was fine. The story is heart touching of course, yet it didn't really grab my attention until I reached the middle chapters. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't enjoy this book much, but I guess that it may be because I am not interested in history and biography that much.
Redfox5
Dec 21, 2010 Redfox5 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-life, war
Very moving story about two girls trying to get back to their mother in Germany at the end of the war. Eva was so very brave, Barbie was luckly to have her as an older sister. I don't think I could have done that walk. Made me cry in places. Recommened read.
Beverley
Aug 18, 2013 Beverley rated it liked it
A true story about sisters trekking to find their family at the end of World War 2. A tough ordeal to go through and an interesting read to hear how a child perceived the experience.
Ellen
Nov 24, 2015 Ellen rated it liked it
One of those stories you'd scoff at as unbelievable were it not an autobiography. Eva is rightly rewarded her place as a heroine of exceptionally awful circumstance.
Issi
Aug 06, 2011 Issi added it
A very interesting, human story. Lacked a little, but for a true story from someone who does not have experience of writing, I thought it was well done.
Christie Halstead
Sep 22, 2015 Christie Halstead rated it really liked it
excellent true story. worth a read.
Fiona Beattie
Jun 27, 2010 Fiona Beattie rated it really liked it
Great book. I read it whilst travelling through that part of Germany so found it really interseting and hard to believe she could do it.
Alvi Harahap
Dec 25, 2011 Alvi Harahap rated it really liked it
This is an excellent true story about a little girls escape journey to survive during World War 2. It is well worth a read.
snipster_96
Apr 19, 2010 snipster_96 is currently reading it
lol im in the part where the girl gets lost
Karlynn
Oct 25, 2012 Karlynn rated it really liked it
Very moving really enjoyed it.
Jacqueline Leech
Jacqueline Leech marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
  • Dreaming of a Stranger
  • America's Champion Swimmer: Gertrude Ederle
  • County Fair
  • Cover Story (Tweed & Co. #3)
  • Heroes of the Surf
  • Anne Frank's Story
  • Dragonfrigate Wizard Halcyon Blithe (Halcyon Blithe, #2)
  • The Mastership Game
  • Look up! The Story of the First Woman Astronomer
  • Lost River (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #10)
  • Nella Last in the 1950s: The Further Diaries of Housewife, 49
  • If You Lived At The Time Of The Great San Francisco Earthquake
  • Run The Risk (Alex Delillo, #1)
  • A Mother's Ordeal: One Woman's Fight Against China's One-Child Policy
  • Seven Brave Women
  • Desmond and the Very Mean Word
  • Last of the Few: The Battle of Britain in the Words of the Pilots Who Won It
  • The Boy Who Changed the World
Barbie was born in Germany in 1939. She moved to the UK in her early twenties as a student, married an Englishman, and has lived here ever since.
More about Barbie Probert-Wright...