Start by marking “Jillian Jiggs and the Great Big Snow” as Want to Read:
Jillian Jiggs and the Great Big Snow

Jillian Jiggs and the Great Big Snow

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Jillian wakes up to a wonderful snowy day. Eagerly she puts on her sweater and snow pants, but uhoh . . . her hat’s missing! Jillian’s creativity saves the day. Soon she is off to play, wearing an amazing Martian hat. Jillian and her friends have a great time, creating an elaborate Martian landscape in the snow, building snow creatures and riding cosmic space sleds. But as ...more
Published November 1st 2002 by North Winds Press

To ask other readers questions about Jillian Jiggs and the Great Big Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jillian Jiggs and the Great Big Snow

The back cover of this book tells me that “Phoebe Gilman is one of Canada’s best-loved children’s book author/illustrator.” After reading Jillian Jiggs and the Great Big Snow, I can see why.

When I read a picture book, I speak out loud, as if I were reading to a child. To do that with this book is a real pleasure. In two-line rhymes, Gilman fairly bounces us through the story of Jillian, excited by the snow but not allowed out until she finds her hat. Her mom says:
“Jillian, Jillian, say it’s not
The flow and rhyming make it a pleasure to read aloud, and the children can join in on some of the phrases that are repeated. I like that the sentences are long, and resemble everyday speech patterns (unlike green eggs and ham).
The illustrations are cute and aptly capture the topic on each page.
Something we can all relate to is a missing hat, scarf and mittens. Add to that the excitement of a fresh snowfall, and all the wonderful things you can dream up when playing outside, and you've got a fu
Steven R. McEvoy
Jillian is a child with a zest for life; unfortunately she is known to lose a thing a or two. And do you know what her mother will say?

"Jillian, Jillian say it's not true!
How do you lose all the things that you do?"

But in this story it goes very far, such as how many things can she lose in one day at the park? While playing in the snow with her friends and making a series of Martian snow creatures, she loses item after item of clothing but just keeps playing.

The illustrations in this story were
A good winter time book, I use it for inquiry and it's interactive in having children find the items lost, the creatures made.
Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads
I love Jillian Jiggs. The rhyming prose is flowing, fun and smart. The kids love it because they can chime in and there's just something magical and heartwarming about Jillian Jiggs. Like Dr. Seuss; you are never too old for Jillian Jiggs. In the Great Bug Snow, you can celebrate the winter time with kids and laugh as Jillian loses every single piece of her warm winter clothing. I now tell my students when something is lost "it isn't list, it just isn't found".
On the last day of Kindergarten before the break I took the kids to the library and read them this story about how Jillian Jiggs is always losing her things in the snow. They thought it was quite funny and had fun guessing what she would lose next. Later that day we had to walk to the hall for the Christmas Dinner and one of the boys decided to go through some deep snow and lost his boot! I said he was just like Jillian Jiggs and they all laughed and laughed.
Jan 06, 2008 Sheri added it
Shelves: sophie-s-book
A cute book with enjoyable rhyming. We can definately relate to the losing of mittens, hats, etc.
Jillian marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Karen marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Regina added it
Mar 02, 2015
Emma added it
Jan 15, 2015
Elevetha marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Lys added it
Dec 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What can I tell you about myself? I like to make up stories and draw pictures. I like to go ice skating, to the movies and I love reading books.

I was born and grew up in the Bronx, New York. My Mother loved to read so it was only natural that my brothers and I got our own library cards as soon as we were able to print our names. My favorite books were fairy tales. When the pictures didn't match t
More about Phoebe Gilman...