Jillian Jiggs

Jillian Jiggs

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  622 ratings  ·  35 reviews
No one can keep up with Jillian Jiggs. With boundless energy and imagination, Jillian rushes from game to game. One minute she's a robot, the next minute she's a tree. How can she take time to clean up her room when there are so many wonderful things to make and do? No one knows what Jillian will think of next- especially not her mother!
Published July 1st 1988 by Scholastic Trade (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Jillian Jiggs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jillian Jiggs

Elfdart
this is a great story, both to read out loud and to read alone. it’s about a girl whose mother wants her to clean her room, but her friends come over and they end up playing instead. her mother tells her a few times to go clean her room and she seemingly goes to do it, but she takes her friends with her, as well as her baby sister, and they get distracted by their imaginations, so we get to see them pretending to be a bunch of different things. at the end though her mother puts her foot down and...more
Ashley
Favorite Book! This is the book that my dad used to read to me when I was a little girl over and over again.
The pictures are life like from the people to the household items seen through out the pages. There is great color and each picture is framed, creating the illusion that a person is looking at a photo album.
The rhyming of the last word of every line with the previous line adds a rhythm to the book.
Also, I love the fact that this book takes four lines and repeats it enough that they stic...more
Nola
Jul 13, 2011 Nola rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
I loved this book so much I actually don't know how it ends because in my very early youth I ripped the last few pages out. Now my niece and nephew love it too (and they don't know the ending either - it's the same copy!) The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous and the rhyming is very catchy. This is a kids bookshelf staple and I can't for the life of me understand why it hasn't retained its popularity.
Debra Doxer
My daughter's name is Jillian. She loves when I read this to her. Luckily, I like reading this, too. Great book.
Munro's Kids
A wonderful read aloud not only because of its sing-song rhymes but also due to Jillian and her mother's increasingly dramatic declarations. The lively story and detailed illustrations (each page's costumes are worth examining - and you'll notice the younger sister is always a step behind everyone else) make for an engaging read.
-Angela
Angela
I adore Jillian Jiggs, the stories are creative and the illustrations have so much going on, it's a good conversation book for the younger ones.
Reyanna
I STILL know this book by heart, and I probably received it over 20 years ago. A favorite book of children who know how fun it is to play and *not* so much fun to clean up after playing. Phoebe Gillman does a fabulous job with the rhymes, "Jillian's mother came in with her mop, took one look around, and... fainted KERPLOP!" (How cute is that?!) And it's another one of those books that has fabulous illustrations, a captivating story, and super-fun rhymes. I love reading this over and over and ove...more
Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads
Great story! I could sit and read Jillian Jiggs all day! Jillian being too busy engaged in her imaginary play to clean her room tickles my funny bone and makes me giggle. I'm not much of a tidy upper myself; I'm too busy reading! And this is the great thing about Jillian Jiggs, the rhymes draw you in, but the stories are ones adults and kids alike can relate to. I will always read Jillian Jiggs to my students! They never protest :)
JustOneMoreBook.com
Good friends, good intentions and an unstoppable stream of creativity: this infectiously upbeat tale of disarray, distraction and blissful disobedience makes us glad we chose the adventure that is family life. We can’t imagine a childhood without it.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Diana
Really 4.5. Adorable, thoughtful illustrations (I love looking for Jillian's little sister tagging along), creative, hilarious rhyming with an almost musical quality, and an imaginative, potentially trouble-making heroine all combine into a gorgeous package and very entertaining read. This book (and the subsequent series, really) was a favorite when I was young, and stands the test of time.
Shanae Lewis
The illustrations of this book are so fun. They are so interesting and colorful, they never get boring to look at.
Even though Jillian may make messes every once in a while, I dare you not to fall in love with her spunky character and her creative imagination.
My Grandma gave me this book as a gift when I was young and I had it memorized in a week!
Caiti
Dec 31, 2007 Caiti rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a fun picture book
I used to love this book! I would read it over and over, studying the illustrations, and imagining the whole scene in my mind.
I wonder what happened to it? I guess we read it til it fell apart. I think I'm going to have to buy another copy.

"Jillian, Jillian, Jillian Jiggs! It looks like your room has been lived in by pigs!"
Leah
Jan 12, 2014 Leah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, teachers, anyone
The rhymes are still memorable many years later. Makes reading fun for kids.
Deborah Harris
Dec 30, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a28, ar-2
AR Quiz No. 28789 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Msor
my daughter loves the jillian jiggs books--the engaging illustrations, the rhyming text, the simple and funny stories. as the parent of a daughter, i appreciate that these stories feature an active, creative, kindhearted girl who is a leader amongst her peers.
Lisa
I LOVED this book when I was a kid. I read it and re-read it and made my mom read it to me 100 times a week. I don't know what the draw was, but I'm pretty sure I either thought I was Jillian Jiggs or I desperately wanted to be her.
Heather
29 month - picked this up on our trip home to Canada. I like to find Canadian authors when I can and this one seemed a good choice as O and Jillian are very similar... Creative and messy. :D. This has a good rhyme, is cute and funny.
Another favorite as a child, and maybe still now as my room is almost never clean (any other room in the house I can clean but its that darn bedroom that gets me every time!). A funny and creative book filled with childish imagination.
Kayla
Another great childrens book sessions in class today, proved to show a lot of really great books this being one of them. The colorful antics and costumes of Jillian Jiggs will have young readers captivated!
Jillian McAdams
Mar 03, 2009 Jillian McAdams rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children's lit lovers, artsy people, ladies named Jillian
One of my all time favorite books growing up. Not only because the main character and I share the same name, the stories are great, the illustrations are beautiful and I love Jillian's imagination.
Katie
My favorite picture book of all time. It brings back childhood memories of being read to, and my girls love me to read it to them now. Hard to find, but worth the effort!
Berry Loveday
Excellent rhyme and glad it is a circular story and the hero is a girl............it is usually boys type caste as untidy!! I want to get other jillian jiggs stories.
Stephanie
This was my utmost favorite book when i was a little kid. My mother and i would read it all the time. i liked it particularly because i hated cleaning my room. : )
Brian
This is an awesome childrens book. We read it often and anyone who has had a child with a messy room will love it. Children also love it.
Nadine
I love the repetition in these books because it makes it so easy for the Kindergarten kids to "read" along.
Marc
Read this many times to, for and with my youngest daughter, Jillian (nicknamed Jiggsy). Love it!
Sierra
One of my childhood favorites! So fun and so creative! The illustrations and writing are wonderful!
Kimikimi
Something I remembered from my own childhood, hope the nephews like it as much as I did.
Julie Isen
Seriously, I just adored her. Maybe worshiped is a better word for it...
Molly
An accurate re-telling of what it was like for me to clean my room!
  • David's Father
  • Red Is Best
  • Stella, Queen of the Snow
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • Franklin In The Dark
What can I tell you about myself? I like to make up stories and draw pictures. I like to go ice skating, to the movies and I love reading books.

I was born and grew up in the Bronx, New York. My Mother loved to read so it was only natural that my brothers and I got our own library cards as soon as we were able to print our names. My favorite books were fairy tales. When the pictures didn't match t...more
More about Phoebe Gilman...
Something From Nothing The Balloon Tree The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs Grandma and the Pirates Jillian Jiggs to The Rescue