Start by marking “Der Fall der Foundation” as Want to Read:
Der Fall der Foundation

Der Fall der Foundation (Second Foundation Trilogy #2)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  20,822 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Die größte Science-Fiction-Saga aller Zeiten geht weiter! In "Der Fall der Foundation" verknüpft Bestsellerautor Greg Bear ("Jäger" "Das Darwin-Virus") erstmals die Abenteuer des sagenumwobenen Hari Seldon mit denen des genialen Roboters Daneel Olivaw. Ein Roman, der Isaac Asimov, dem Altmeister der Science Fiction, mehr als gerecht wird. "Das Abenteuer geht weiter! Isaac ...more
Paperback, German Edition, 480 pages
Published March 6th 2006 by Heyne (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Der Fall der Foundation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Fall der Foundation

Jeremiah Johnson
Mar 17, 2014 Jeremiah Johnson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I almost gave this two stars until I realized how utterly pointless the book was. Nothing in the story advances the plot of the Foundation Series until the last 10 pages or so.
The "sims" were (thankfully) largely downplayed after their disastrous introduction in Foundation's Fear. There was no VR immersion nonsense either. It also wasn't nearly as long (albeit still 350 pages or so too long in my opinion...). So in these regards, it was not as bad as Fear was.
But, there were robots. Tons and ton
C. Conner
Apr 27, 2012 C. Conner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

This book is annoying on many levels:

Overall thoughts - this was not a journey where the reader is carried along by a quest and comes to a resolution by the end. This was a "glad it's over" story. A book should be a collection of words greater than the sum of the total. Foundation and Chaos was the opposite. Asimov gives the sensation of a rich and vast universe with his Foundation series. With this book the words are there but the meaning is lost and the reader is left looking through a small p
Alex
Jul 18, 2012 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
I finished reading "Foundation and Chaos" by Greg Bear. This is an authorized part of the Asimov Foundation series . Once again we get into the details, filling out the story about how the Foundation got started. The original series started off rather abruptly with a new character, placed on trial and an older character that seems to know what is going on. The judgement is exile and suddenly you are on another planet, wondering how it all happened. Foundation and Chaos provides that information, ...more
Smaniam

I read the Foundation Series as a teenager and with "Foundation and Earth" I thought there could be nothing more that could be achieved beyond that book. So, when I came across the books that were published ostensibly as an authorised extension to the foundation saga - It was something amounting to sacrilege!! I could barely control myself whenever I caught a glimpse of any of the pretenders. It was like Mammon had won the battle and Asimov's legacy would soon be muddled.

Well, time does mellow o
Daniel McGill
Does some damage control on what Benford did to the series in the first book before it gets going but I'd give this series a pass unless you're a fanatical completionist.
Eoghann Irving
Foundation and Chaos is book two of the Second Foundation Trilogy is rather different to book one. For a start Bear sticks more faithfully to the Foundation universe as described by Asimov. How important that is will vary depending on the reader. More importantly, the plot of this book feels more cohesive, resulting in a more entertaining read.

The Second Foundation Trilogy covers the life of Hari Seldon, his invention of psychohistory and his setting up of the two Foundations. This particular bo
manuti
Oct 23, 2011 manuti rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Siguiendo con la trilogía incluida en la lista de libros de 2008 – 2009. Después del anterior, este continúa las aventuras del matemático Hari Seldon. Si del anterior dije que era un poco space opera, este es algo más, y en general entra en una serie de historias con los robots (una constante de Asimov) que me ha gustado menos que el anterior, por lo que se queda con solo 2 estrellas.
Phil Giunta
Mar 18, 2011 Phil Giunta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I completed Foundation and Chaos in a few weeks, reading mostly in the late evening or in stolen minutes during weekends. By contrast, I took months to finish the first entry in this trilogy, Foundation's Fear by Gregory Benford. Benford's plodding, tedious pacing and fragmented plot did not inspire confidence in the rest of the series but Greg Bear turned that around.

I was eager to return to Foundation and Chaos everyday and for as long as possible. Well conceived plot, excellent pacing, and s
Emma
Apr 11, 2012 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting in the middle of a series is a crazy idea but read the book. You in a world of low intelligent thanks to a disease that kills any child of high intelligent. One of the main character Klis suffered as a child. Lucky for the robots she and a boy called Brann survived this. The robots they to get these two to help the change of the world.
The story is deep and philosophy like. A bit too deep to read.
Roddy Williams
‘In ‘Foundation and Chaos’, one of science fiction’s greatest storytellers takes one of its greatest stories into new and fascinating territory. Isaac Asimov’s classic Foundation series is back.

Hari Seldon, approaching the end of his life, is on trial for daring to predict the Empire’s fall. At the same time, final preparations are under way for the long-anticipated migration to Star’s End. But R Daneel Olivaw, the brilliant robot entrusted with this great mission, has discovered a potential en
Jen
Jan 07, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compared with the novel that came before in this series, this one was phenomenal!

Foundation and Chaos: The Second Foundation Trilogy is clearly a secondary book in a trilogy. It advances the story arc and sets up the crisis to be resolved in the third novel, without actually answering many questions itself. This novel was a faster read than Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy, #1), and seemed to dovetail very nicely with the initial vignette in Foundation.

I was thrilled to see Dors back
Thomas
So far, I think Greg Bear is my favorite author out of the entire Foundation series. Gregory Benford was definitely a step in the right direction with his characterization skills, but Bear takes that same skill and adds a prevailing plot that keeps the story moving along. It still gets bogged down with a lot of details, but overall, I think he brings the best combination of talents to bear with this novel.

This novel is a direct continuation, thematically, to Foundation's Fear (the story's chrono
Roger Verstraete
Characters:
R. Daneel Olivaw: Leader of the Giskardian robots.
Hari Seldon: Mathist. Founder of psychohistory. Also known as Raven becuase of his forecast of the fall of the Empire.
Linge Chen: Chief commissioner of Public Safety. i.e. the military leader of the Empire.
Wanda Seldon Palver: Granddaughter of Hari Seldon. Wife of Stettin Palver.
Dors Venabili: The Tiger woman. Hari's wife while he was first minister. Died protecting him from an assassination attempt.
Kallusin: Man in green. Leader of th
John Loyd
Apr 08, 2015 John Loyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Foundation and Chaos (1998) 402 pages by Greg Bear.

Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation is the classic Foundation Trilogy written by Isaac Asimov in the early 1950's. Much later Asimov connected the Foundation universe with his robot universe. Given those elements, Gregory Benford, Bear and David Brin wrote a trilogy of novels focusing on Hari Seldon. In the second of those books Bear is at a point where Linge Chen, chief commissioner of public safety, has brought charges of
Paula
Sep 12, 2016 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
La verdad es que lo terminé en parte porque no me gusta dejar libros sin terminar, en parte porque siempre guardo la "esperanza" de encontrar esa parte del libro que me mueva el piso. Bueno, como dicen en inglés, long story short, no encontré esa parte. Se puso "bien" interesante recién cerca del final: ahí pasaron muchas cosas, toda la trama empezó a agilizarse. Me pareció que muchas ideas eran reiterativas: meritocracia, robots controladores, meritocracia en dos párrafos seguidos, robots contr ...more
Thomas Dachsel
Nov 23, 2016 Thomas Dachsel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asimov
#2 of the Second Foundation Trilogy is definitely better than #1 (which was very tedious). It gives a lot of background, not all of it is necessary, but some of it is somewhat interesting.

The massive infusion of robots combined with the contribution of the mentalics made the story rather complicated, as two warring factions of robots play a substantial role. As I have not read Asimov's earlier novels on the robots, I have no idea whether all of this was fabricated by Mr. Bear or not. As another
Ash
Oct 26, 2014 Ash rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kip
May 09, 2008 Kip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got these three (Second Foundation Trilogy) from a friend. Been a long time since I read the Foundation or robot stories from Asimov, so I was eager to jump back into the story.

All three authors did a good job remaining true to the original timelines, major events and characters. That said, you could tell this was sort of filler. Should have expected that, right?

Has motivated me to go back and read some of the robot stories again -- lots of robot activity in all three of these.

* Couldn't finish
Zoltán
Mar 29, 2013 Zoltán rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minden tekintetben meghaladja a Gregory Benford jegyezte Az Alapítvány félelme c. regényt. Greg Bear története nemcsak tartalmi-logikai és stilisztikai szempontból illeszkedik sallangmentesen Asimov univerzumába, hanem a benfordi szálakat is sikerrel fűzi össze az Alapítvány epizódjaival – egy nem éppen könnyű feladat. Nyilván, az Alapítvány és a Robotok univerzum szakértő olvasói kimazsolázhatnak egy-két következetlenséget, lelhetnek néhány pontot, ahol Bear sztorija apró karcot ejt az asimovi ...more
David
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Well, this was definitely better than Benford's entry in the Foundation series in that at no point while reading this did I want to gouge my eyes out. However, I can't really say it was a good or necessary part of the Foundation saga. I wouldn't call it a complete waste of time (again, unlike Foundation's Fear)...but I was pretty glad to finish it. I did gain a healthy respect for Bear's writing (he's one of my wife's favorites) and am interested in reading something e ...more
Szymon Myalski
Apr 23, 2015 Szymon Myalski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: polish
This book was an interesting one for me. It finds many loose ends in robots and foundation series and tight them together, telling stories that were either reason or result for different events in the series. And it take place in time frame of the beginning of "Foundation" book, but focusing on the story from different point of view. Deja-vu. But even without such references it is a good book, with a few interesting characters and some important questions to ask. I really enjoy it.
Thuong
Jul 06, 2012 Thuong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bear did a fantastic job to "continue" the Foundation serie with a missing prequel. The many parallel threads resemble the well-known structure of the original Foundation books. Even the narrative style and the twist till the end is surprisingly similar to Asimov's one as if the old master had written them himself. To the core an successful prequel even though sometimes I miss the what-if mindgame of Asimov so dearly.
Jason
Feb 15, 2010 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I have always enjoyed Foundation books and wanted to see what other authors could add to it. I enjoyed this book well enough but thought that it was a little to convenient. The malfunctioning robot and the girl with psychic abilities were too formulaic. One thing I've always liked about Greg Bear books is that he tells a good story. There is no lacking of detail and the story keeps moving.
Jeff Crosby
I found this book disappointing after the promising start of the first novel. I thought that Benford, Bear and Brin writing a new Foundation trilogy was an interesting idea, but this book disappointed me.
Jay Caselberg
May 30, 2011 Jay Caselberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an original devotee of the series that prompted this and the other two Foundation novels, I thought Bear did quite a good job of capturing the background and characters as well as a believable evolution of the storyline. At the same time, quite readable, which isn't a bad thing.
Garrett
Aug 29, 2012 Garrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read through this novel much quicker than the previous one - perhaps because I am more intrigued about this part of Hari's life and about Daneel and the other robots.

I thought the writing was good too. Greg Bear did Asimov proud.
Rachel
Mar 03, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This book started decades after the last one. That left too many holes, but once I got past that annoyance, I could enjoy this. I'm still pretty confused, though. The explanation of the Second Foundation was helpful.
Steven Cole
The further adventures of R. Daneel and Hari Seldon. The book was good enough that I kept reading it without being too pissed off, but I wasn't ever really that enamored of it. That's the same feeling I've always gotten from Greg Bear's writing, though, so I shouldn't be too surprised...
Michael
Jun 30, 2008 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series
For fans of the Foundation series, this fills in some gaps in the story around the time of Hari Seldon's trial. The story is somewhat bleak, with Dors and Daneel in agony for much of the story, and Hari miserable.

I enjoyed the book, but it never really grabbed me as Asimov's books did.
Rushevents
Apr 07, 2010 Rushevents rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good one 1 6 Nov 17, 2012 06:28PM
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy #3)
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy #1)
  • Foundation's Friends
  • Forward the Foundation (Foundation: Prequel #2)
  • Isaac Asimov's Caliban (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #1)
  • Cyborg (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #3)
  • Odyssey (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #1)
  • The Garden of Rama (Rama, #3)
  • The World at the End of Time
  • The Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld #2)
  • The Past Through Tomorrow (Future History, #1-21)
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...

Second Foundation Trilogy (4 books)
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy #1)
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy #3)
  • Le Second Cycle de Fondation