Start by marking “Sausage in a Basket: The Great British Book of How Not to Eat” as Want to Read:
Sausage in a Basket: The Great British Book of How Not to Eat

Sausage in a Basket: The Great British Book of How Not to Eat

2.92 of 5 stars 2.92  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Martin Lampen was born in 1973. And in none of the four decades in which he's lived and dined in Britain has he eaten a single truly great meal. Why should this be so? Is it because we Brits regard any artificial drink with pineapple or mango flavouring as 'tropical? Could it be something to do with our penchant for crinkle cut crisps? And just why are British breadcrumbs ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Bloomsbury UK

To ask other readers questions about Sausage in a Basket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sausage in a Basket

For those who read the introduction, where he moans about the multitude of artificial convenience food surrounding him in the supermarket, and inwardly scream, "Just f***in learn to cook, man!", stick with it, it does get better.

Kind of like the chav Nigel Slater, he does lapse into laddish faux-ignorance, then old-man grumpydom, but he's sometimes snortingly funny: his reason for not eating a colleague's home baking is the fact that she swears too much. I get that.

But its main saving grace? Unl
I've made the decision to abandon this book. My reading time is too precious and I'm afraid I find this book too annoying to read more than a few pages at a time. Yes, it is funny, if it was a weekly newspaper or magazine column no doubt I would enjoy it, but the relentless moaning is too much to bear in larger chunks. As it is a library book I can’t keep it lying around to just dip into and I certainly shan’t be buying it, hence the abandonment.
Never invite this guy to dinner, in fact, I doubt
Mar 21, 2015 Tess rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
This is possibly a good book to have in the bathroom, reading a section at a time. However, I found the world-weary cynical humour repetitive and ultimately as dull and grey as the caricature of British food, past and present, that he was constructing. In the end the book is really about Martin Lampen, his working class credentials and male gender identity, and his relationship with his childhood, told through food. Maybe if I had approached it from that angle, I'd have got more out of the book. ...more
Not good - kept hoping for better things but ended up wanting to flick the author across his ear. FIrst time that's happened in a long time!
Sunaina More
I found this book hilarious...! For me a go to book for a bit of fun and laugh!
Lilymarsh marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Seven marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Vicki marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Ros added it
Sep 13, 2013
Farah is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2013
Verushka Ramasami
Verushka Ramasami marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
Crystel marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2013
Penny marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2013