Start by marking “Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 2

Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 2 (Thor Visionaries)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Few people have ever left their mark on one character quite the way Walter Simonson has. His work on the Mighty Thor swept the Norse God of Thunder to heights never before seen and rarely achieved since. Spanning epic tales of heroism and treachery, love and war, Simonson's work is often considered the definitive Thor. From the majesty and mystery of Asgard to the gritty s ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about Thor Visionaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thor Visionaries

Brad
I feel like reviewing each issue as I go, so here goes.

Thor #349 -- "Debts of Honour": One of my favourite things about Simonson's time on The Mighty Thor is that the comic is really just an excuse to play around in Asgard. Thor always makes an obligatory appearance, but he isn't always the most important character. This issue casts Odin in the lead, as he recounts the tale of how he and his brothers, Vili & Ve, stumbled into Muspellsheim, pissed off the fire demon Surtur, shattered Surtur's
Sesana
Huge fun. Most of the book is taken up with the final battle against Surtur, and it's fantastic. Gigantic battle scenes, huge casts of recognizable characters, the works. This part of the book was great. The Lorelei subplot finally gets resolved, thank goodness, because it was really becoming a drag on the book. Interesting how Simonson made Thor a supporting character in his own book, which is fine by me. This version of Thor is... less than bright, and characters like Beta Ray Bill and Sif mak ...more
Gavin
Classic Marvel, Thor at his Asgardian battle best. I think there's a good likelihood that some of this storyline was appropriated/borrowed/inspiration for the Avengers movie. Which either means Joss Whedon is very up on his Marvel, or someone wisely directed him there. I think the former most likely. It's also interesting as one of the weapons that appears here (mid 1980s) is later put to important use during the Siege storyline (late 2000s). Thor here is getting a little more fleshed out than h ...more
Dan
I'm not even at the halfway point of Simonson's run on Thor, and it already feels like an epic. I'm especially enjoying Beta Ray Bill's first adventures, a character I've loved since I first discovered him in the 90's Silver Surfer series.
I left the most recent Thor film disappointed that they still have yet to introduce Balder The Brave into the movie universe, and these two volumes have made me miss his presence even more. I suppose adding a third sibling to the mix of Thor and Loki may make t
Scott Lee
The best Thor stories are always more focused around Asgard then Earth. Simonson does a marvel here with the climax of the Surtur story that he'd been building from the first page of his run. The movement off Earth and into the Science-Fiction/Fantasy realms of Faerie, Asgard, and Muspelheim, the use of a wonderful combination of what Simonson himself terms Marvel and Norse Mythology--and ooooohhhhh that art! I remember seeing Simonson books when I was first collecting almost thirty years ago an ...more
Andrew
The first three issues are taken up by a super-dull MacGuffin hunt, but after that, things get really, really good. All the Asgardians team up with Beta Ray Bill, The Avengers, and the Fantastic Four to fight a Lord-of-the-Rings-sized battle against Surtur and his fire demons. Simonson juggles the action between multiple locales and POV characters, and gives everybody a compelling subplot in between all the delightful punching and smashing. Best of all, Simonson knows that a gigantic multi-front ...more
Ninon
An awefully lot of blah-blah dialog - mostly the heroes telling out loud verything they do (in speach bubbles - not thought-bubbles!!), once did, and will do and how great they are and how no-one match them. In turn the foes tell every plan they have, out loud..
This becomes rather tedious to read after a short while..

Having said that, this is one of the better "old" Thor stories.. and it's fun to read and does have some humour here and there, - and haven seen the "Thor - the Dark World" movie..
James
The culmination in the second volume of Simonson's "Thor Visionaries" series isn't as strong as the buildup in the first. Earth is at risk of being wiped out by a massive demonic horde, but the scale of the action renders it beyond disbelief. Millions of monsters pour out over Manhattan, but our heroes escape unscathed, robbing the showdown of the tension the story had built so well.

Still, it's not bad. The characterization and art are solid, and Simonson does a good job balancing a large cast.
Alex Sarll
Wonderful fun, interspersed with moments of genuine pathos, from the era when superhero comics were just starting to become readable (though traces of the bad old days of exposition and recap remain). I wish the recent film, in using Dark Elf monarch and prick Malekith, had also retained the idea here that his base is in that mystical realm, "the Cotswolds of England". They were filming in Britain anyway, after all.
경민/e
wow this actually made me ship beta ray bill/sif
j_ay
Continuing on with the original issues from 1984 and 1985 (#s 349-359), with Walt Simonson heading toward and passing his first year on Thor: writing, penciling and inking. Expanding story arcs he’s peppered in the past issues, sometimes just a panel or page at a time (something not practiced these days in the dreaded “writing for the trade” format).
Workman’s outstanding lettering and Simonson’s solid storytelling throughout.
Comics are rarely this good these days.
And I don’t even like Thor.
Sophie
I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but this? Is condensed AWESOME. The first issues collected in this book are truly, truly epic, leading up to a universe-saving battle, of course, and the latter issues deal with the fall-out and have so many humorous and beautiful moments that I can't count them all. And if that weren't enough, there are also *love spells*. Absolutely fantastic. I can't recommend this enough.
Angela
Asqard faces one of its most fearsome foes. In the aftermath of battle, Thor and co have to cope with the consequences. This is really one long story about battle, loss and friendship. Loki even comes out well in it. You get to meet another relative of Thor, and Beta Ray Bill returns. A good read.
Aaron Jorgensen-Briggs
This is a close approximation of the lot of Thor comics I just got on ebay, to replace the childhood favorites that I stupidly lost during a "wandering the earth/giving away personal possessions" phase.

Just try and pry these comics from my mighty Norwegian hands.
Kate
Utterly delightful.
David
Top drawer Thor done-in a bit my stiff dialog and is slightly emotionless. Great art though. And LOVE the new computerized color job. Wish Marvel would do that with all their reprints!
Michael
Here the Surtur saga comes to a close. Which is amazing. The other half of this collection is a goofy mess, so I'd rather remember one of the best "mega-villian" story-arcs I have read.
Michael
This volume is the payoff to the epic story set up in the last volume, and it doesn't disappoint. Simonson's art also continues to impress. This is Thor at his best.
Jeff
A comic about dudes yelling and hitting each other as hard as they can.
k.wing
Not as good as Volume 1.
Paul Porry
Paul Porry marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Aaron Burkhalter
Aaron Burkhalter is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2015
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
  • Thor: God of Thunder, Vol. 2: Godbomb
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Best of the Best
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 4
  • Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev Ultimate Collection, Book 1
Walter "Walt" Simonson is an American comic book writer and artist. After studying geology at Amherst College, he transferred to the Rhode Island School of Design, graduating in 1972. His thesis project there was The Star Slammers, which was published as a black and white promotional comic book for the 1974 World Science Fiction Convention in Washington, D.C. (DisCon II). Some years later, he prod ...more
More about Walter Simonson...

Thor Visionaries (6 books)
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 1
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 3
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 4
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 5
  • Thor Visionaries: Mike Deodato Jr.
Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 1 World of Warcraft, Vol. 1 The Mighty Thor Omnibus World of Warcraft, Vol. 2 World of Warcraft, Vol. 3