Start by marking “Avedon at Work: In the American West” as Want to Read:
Avedon at Work: In the American West

Avedon at Work: In the American West

4.64 of 5 stars 4.64  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Internationally acclaimed for his portraits of powerful and accomplished people and women of great beauty, Richard Avedon was one of the twentieth century's greatest photographers--but perhaps not the most obvious choice to create a portrait of ordinary people of the American West. Yet in 1979, the Amon Carter Museum of Fort Worth, Texas, daringly commissioned him to do ju ...more
Published November 1st 2003 by University of Texas Press

To ask other readers questions about Avedon at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avedon at Work

Philippe
This is a most illuminating companion to Richard Avedon's famous monograph In the American West. It provides privileged insight into the artist's way of working based on a long personal acquaintance and professional relationship.

Laura Wilson accompanied Avedon during the six summers in which he shot his monumental portfolio of portraits of ordinary folk in America's heartland - miners, ranchers, drifters, prisoners, ... . She researched and planned the trips and was instrumental in building rel
Allisonperkel
I'm just beginning to really learn more about Avedon; one of the greatest photographers of the 20th century. This book, written by Laura Wilson, a fellow photographer who travelled with Avedon around the west for one of his seminal works, offers a small peek into the mind of Avedon.

I must warn you that the insights deal with how Avedon approaches people - there is no technique, no discussion of lighting, nothing technical at all. For me, this is exactly what I wanted from the book. However, if y
I bought this as a gift, but then we broke up and kept it as a parting gift to myself and could not have been happier. This book chronicles Avedon's groundbreaking trip through the American west, shooting portraits of migrant workers, miners, vagabonds and everyday folk. There are glimpses behind the scenes and of his process and full page reproductions of the goregeous BW images. Avedon changed the way we look at a photo portrait and this book will change the way you look at Avedon.
Michal Huniewicz
A description of Avedon's project and modus operandi in the American West.
Lisa
Fascinating look at Richard Avedon's work to create the photographic series "In the American West". I checked the book out of the library several weeks ago and skimmed through it, then sat down yesterday and read the whole book cover to cover. Laura Wilson's writing is simple but very insightful and helped me understand many current trends in portraiture.
Christopher Lehmann
Classic Avedon monograph. We all know the images. We all know the power of seeing them in person in a museum (with not too many other folks looking or nearby, hopefully). But going through this book image by image and then reading Laura Wilson's Background at the end of the book is to experience this project in a grander sense.
Brian
A brisk read of what it was like to be Richard Avedon's assistant. Photos from the "In The American West" series are discussed and analyzed. As a bonus, the author is Luke and Owen Wilson's mom.
Tevilla
Such an interesting read about the creative process of Richard Avedon.

Highly recommended
Cecelia
Absolutly wonderful. That's about all I can say
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Jay
Jay added it
Oct 11, 2014
Mateusz
Mateusz marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Arleen Hodge Thaler
Arleen Hodge Thaler marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Kevin Shlosberg
Kevin Shlosberg marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Laura Wilson is an American photographer. Her photographs have appeared in the New York Times Magazine, the New Yorker, Vanity Fair, GQ Magazine, London’s Sunday Times Magazine, Wallpaper and the Washington Post Magazine.

Wilson has done four books. Her latest, Avedon at Wo
More about Laura Wilson...
Hutterites of Montana Watt Matthews of Lambshead: A Photographic Study of a Man and His Ranch Avedon at Work in the American West Grit and Glory: Six-Man Football In the American West