Start by marking “Woman in the Mirror” as Want to Read:
Woman in the Mirror

Woman in the Mirror

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Among the significant projects of the last year of his life, Richard Avedon (1923-2004) completed a book of his photographs of women. Always transcending categorization-he was both a fashion photographer and known as a "poet of portraiture"-Avedon was interested in seeing how elemental facts of modern life and human existence were reflected in his work. And what could be m ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Harry N. Abrams (first published May 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Woman in the Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Woman in the Mirror

Jaimie
Many of these protraits are familiar to me, since I've seen quite a bit of Avedon's wor through other books, but I really like that this diverse collection is brought together thematically. Women in general have always been a big inspiration for Avedon, so it is no surprise that throughout the periods of his work these was always a feminine focus. What is surprising (and shocking to some) is the inclusion of a few men within the book; gay men, but men none the less. Elton John's portrait, with t ...more
Brigitte
I'm mostly putting this here because I think I'll want to look at it again one day, so I need to remember. Interesting stuff in the essay by Anne Hollander.
Jereme
Big, beautifully reproduced images. Great motion and interest in the first 2/3 of the book, but it fell a bit flat for me after that.
Cody
Found an interesting link to Cape Breton when I saw the photograph of June Leaf taken in Mabou. She and her husband, photographer Robert Frank spend time there and Avedon must have visted them and photographed both. Extremely surprising!
Joelle
The photographs are beautiful. I was very drawn to his portraits of everyday people - the street performer, the carnie, etc. I wish there was some background presented for each of the photos. It's definitely eye candy!
Stephanie
I don't typically look at art books, but I love Avedon. In book form, this was a good collection of his work, but I think I'll stick to gallery/museum showings, I prefer that atmosphere.
Tania
Although he's best known for being a fashion photographer, I actually prefer his portraits of ordinary women - he seemed able to pull these expressions that are just great.
Crystal
It was wonderful to look at this book after going to the Richard Avedon exibit held at The Detroit Institute of Arts. What a wonderfully talented man.
Juliana
i bought this book and gave it away. what the hell was wrong with me?? damn christmas spirit. gets me every time.
MaryWeatherwell
A gorgeous collection of photographs. The one of Marianne Moore is a particular favorite of mine.
Katharine
Katharine marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Hil Scott
Hil Scott marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
JJ Lynne
JJ Lynne marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
G
G marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Hana Bouziane
Hana Bouziane marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Mollie Christine
Mollie Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
  • A Photographer's Life: 1990-2005
  • Vanity Fair: The Portraits: A Century of Iconic Images
  • In Focus: National Geographic Greatest Photographs
  • The Polaroid Book: Selections from the Polaroid Collections of Photography
  • Ansel Adams: 400 Photographs
  • Tim Walker Pictures
  • Jazz Age Beauties: The Lost Collection of Ziegfeld Photographer Alfred Cheney Johnston
  • The Photographer's Eye
  • Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • Allure
  • Francesca Woodman
  • In Vogue: An Illustrated History of the World's Most Famous Fashion Magazine
By capturing American ideals of celebrity, fashion, and beauty in the 20th and early 21st centuries, Richard Avedon helped to establish photography as a contemporary art form. Avedon’s distinct style of portrait photography is nothing short of iconic. While the portraiture of his contemporaries focused on single moments or composed formal images, his stark lighting and minimalist white backdrops d ...more
More about Richard Avedon...
Richard Avedon Portraits In the American West Avedon Fashion 1944-2000 Performance The Sixties