Start by marking “Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)” as Want to Read:
Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)

Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (An American Girl: Addy #1-6)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  3,717 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Addy Walker is a proud, courageous girl growing up in 1864, during the midst of the Civil War. Addy's stories tell of her daring escape with her mother from slavery, and the challenges they face afterward as they try to reunite their family. But Addy's stories are about much more than hardship. They are full of the love and hope that help her get through the worst of times ...more
Published November 1st 1994 by American Girl (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Addy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Addy

Christina
Dec 17, 2012 Christina rated it it was amazing
The Addy series is a great way to introduce the idea of slavery from a realistic fiction point of view. Students can connect with the young girl, Addy, and her life as a slave. Addy faces many struggles as a young african american slave (the most visual is when she is forced to eat the cotton worms). There are many books about Addy, so students can continue reading about her life if they choose.
Olivia
Sep 04, 2011 Olivia rated it it was amazing
These are very sad books but very interesting because you learn so much about slavery. I love Addy's character!
Darkowaa
Jan 13, 2015 Darkowaa rated it it was amazing
Yup! The boxed set and my Addy doll are still upstairs. Connie Rose Porter is a lovely writer! I'll always love Addy- made amazing childhood memories :)
Tori
I read this book in the fourth grade when we were learning about slavery. I also had this American Girl Doll and it really made me understand that time period and what was going on in our country
Kelley
Nov 28, 2016 Kelley rated it it was amazing
This is the story of me and American Girl (hereafter, AG):

Me, sometime in early 2000s: "AG, a wholesome, quality, historically grounded alternative to Barbie? Sounds nice."
AG: "And the dolls don't even cost $200."
Me: "!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness I don't have a daughter."

Sometime before April 2010, AG finds out there is a girl baby *still inside me* and starts sending me catalogs. I am simultaneously charmed and sticker-shocked. (And a little freaked out about how they knew!)

The catalogs keep
Logan
Because of current events and this election cycle, Logan has been outraged and confused about why black people aren't treated like everybody else, so we set about learning more of the history of African Americans in this country. This series, written and read aloud by African American women, was a great start. From the first book about Addy's life and escape from slavery on a tobacco plantation to the rest of the series about finding that freedom for black people wasn't as free as she expected, ...more
Natalie
I love amricn grli doll books
Chelsea Gouin
Sep 19, 2016 Chelsea Gouin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Addy! Addy is an American Girl. She is a slave along with her mother, Poppa, older brother, and baby sister. When her brother and father are sold, her Mama tells her it's time they run North for Freedom...leaving behind the baby and their Aunt and Uncle. Showing often graphic portrayals of life on the plantation, the other hardships of colored families was glossed over. There was some scenes showing whites getting preferred treatment and a man getting thrown off of a street car, but it was mo ...more
LaNaria
Mar 07, 2010 LaNaria rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all girls
Recommended to LaNaria by: sister
When I was about nine years old I found a copy of this book on the floor of my room. Me being not the type I assumed it was left behind by my sister in her rush to move out of the suffocating room we shared together. It seemed no longer than a picture book and the occasional illustrations made it seem slightly less antagonizing. So I read it...
Often as I went along I found myself glimpsing back at the cover. On this was an African-American girl like myself.
She wore a plaid dress, much like the
 Imani ♥ ☮
Jun 22, 2010 Imani ♥ ☮ rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Imani ♥ ☮ by: my dad
I first got these books when I was about 10 years old maybe. My dad was trying to get me to stop reading so many...reference books. Things like atlases, almanacs, nonfiction books really. Especially about history. He wanted me to read some chapter books. Little did he know that these books turned out to be some of the best historical fiction books I have ever read. These books follow the life of Addy, a young African American girl who is a slave. She escapes with her mother after both her Addy's ...more
Taylor Parker
I went home this week and was so excited to find this book! I thought this would be perfect for historical fiction. This book talks about Addy's life and where she grew up and all of the things her and her family were dealing with. This book is FULL of history. She is a nine year old girl that is a slave on the North Carolina Plantation during the Civil War. As a little girl I truly enjoyed reading these book. These books would be great for 5th grade students. If I were using this book in the cl ...more
Rachel
Oct 09, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Addy was the first American Girl who was introduced to the series in the midst of my obsession (or should I say, my first obsession? :P) Her stories were groundbreaking- they portrayed the first, non-White girl, and a very dark part of our nation's history. And though the books were watered down enough for child consumption, I could still feel Addy's family's degradation as slaves, the fear of trying something new (to imagine, freedom being new!) and the disappointment of it not living up to it' ...more
Kelley
Oct 21, 2010 Kelley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jewell-s-books
Reviewed by my seven-year-old daughter: Addy lived on a plantation and she was a slave who worked all day long. They were mean to her and separated her family. Addy and her Mama had to leave her sister behind on the plantation and escape to freedom in Philadelphia. Addy made friends and got to go to school. Her mom worked at a dress shop and later their father came to join them. Then Sam, her brother found them after the war. He had lost his arm fighting. Later they found Auntie Lula and baby Es ...more
Julie
Apr 27, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
I would have given this series 3 stars, because the plots weren't as connected as in some of the other series, and I didn't like how the supporting characters disappeared from one book to the next, like what happened to M'Dear? But Alyssa and Kara have been playing "escaping from slavery" with their (blond) Barbies, and they seem to have a basic grasp on the Civil War. They even set up a Freedmen's Camp for their dolls!
Jennifer Joppie
Aug 19, 2011 Jennifer Joppie rated it it was amazing
This set of books is amazing. My students love this read-aloud and cannot stand it when I only read the first 4 of 6 in the set. They practically dive to get the last two to read. My boys in third grade had the entire class write a letter to the publisher to create a series of American Boy books. W enever heard back. They really wanted to be able to learn about the life of a boy during the same time in our country as Addie and the other characters in the American Girl series!
Amanda
Addy was the one American Girl I never clicked with. I don't know if it was her period of history, or her personality, but I was just never dazzled by Addy.

Even reading again at 22, I find Addy fierce and hardworking, but boring. It's almost as if Porter underdevelops the character in comparison to her AG peers, so richly detailed.

Plus all her problems appear to solve themselves, with massive historical events with great writing potential skipped.
Shanquetta Lewis
Aug 21, 2016 Shanquetta Lewis rated it it was amazing
This book series was a pretty good one. Even now, with the things that Addy went through I am unsure that I could have done the same. Her mother was strong, leaving behind her husband and her baby to take her daughter with her to freedom. It made me think, what would I do to help my family? All of the things that had gone on then, these books shone a light onto them. I cannot wait to share Addy's experiences with my daughter.
Taylor E
Apr 03, 2012 Taylor E rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: African-American children (7 or 8+)
Recommended to Taylor by: My mother
I'm 14 years old, African-American and in the 11th grade. I own this entire set and enjoyed all of the books. If you are African-American and want to easily teach your children about our heritage, racism and slavery; this is a thing to get. They are not like textbooks at all. It simply makes an example centralized around Addy, a young African-American, slave girl. I related to Addy as a little girl and the boxed set has played a significant part in my childhood.
Rachel
Addy is a young girl born into slavery who runs away to Philidelphia with her mother near the end of the Civil War. Throughout the books she is slowly re-united with her family. I enjoyed these books more than I thought I would. I think the author did a good job of showing slavery and the racism against black people without being tramatic. I also appreciated the fact that the author points out church is a part of Addy's life in Philidelphia.
Angela
Mar 14, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young teenage girls
Recommended to Angela by: Natelie
The American Girls Series is very well done. I read them as a young teenager to my little sister. In the front pages it has a traditional household of the country and arror. They have a story of young teenagers and the people around them. That give you an idea of their history. In the back pages it has read pictures or items that were used in the story. I think it is a very well done History Lesson
Anne
Aug 22, 2008 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My American Girl reading project continues! I had been warned ahead that Addy's stories had some violence in them, but I wouldn't call the violence (whipping and punishment on the plantation) inappropriate for the intended age group. That said, Addy as an individual isn't as well developed as some of the other American Girls.
Sarah Maddaford
Addy was a very interesting character, but as a young white girl who had never really experienced racism, I just had trouble connecting with her. She was a cool and interesting girl, but some of her problems seemed very distant at the time. I might think differently now, but as a kid her struggle to do well in school despite the conditions of the school just didn't seem real.
Amy
May 13, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young girls
I love the American Girls books. They are wonderful to teach young girls about different time periods in history. This is in the setting of the Civil War. It has many teaching moments and helped my 9 & 7 year old girls see things from Addy's eyes. There were sad moments to be sure, but all in all, a happy ending.
Evelyn Jessica
Mar 16, 2013 Evelyn Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The American girl books are wonderful ways to get little girls to read about historical events and circumstances. The story of slavery is tough for children to comprehend, so presenting it through a girl similar to themselves provides a smoother path toward understanding the horrors of our American history.
Allie
I recently remembered how much I loved this American Girl series because they're referenced in Texts from Jane Eyre. There are parts of these stories that I remember so vividly!
Jan 07, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
I will be studying the fictional character Addy with my daughters this next semester. I loved Addy and her family. I'm excited to talk to them about the Civil War, slavery, segregation and all that comes with it. I think through reading these books with my daughters it will be easier to bring up these difficult subjects.
Julie
Jun 13, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
We have read about three other American Girls books, and this American Girl is our favorite. This series is so touching. The author is great at teaching children about slavery in a gentle and honest way. My girls are probably too young to know all the horrors of it, of course, but this gives them an idea. We started to read about Addy because they had some questions once about slavery.
Casey
Addy came out at about the time I was growing out of the American Girls. I remember, though, really admiring the writer for the scene where Addy was forced to eat a slug (she was a slave and had missed it and the foreman caught her). I appreciated how Porter exposed young girls to slavery in such a vulgar way.
Alexis
Sep 09, 2008 Alexis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girls
Sheila Kanja
Sep 29, 2015 Sheila Kanja rated it it was amazing
I didn't know about slavery until I read this book. I think I was 8 or 9. Almost 20 years ago. I fell in love after the first book and begged my mother to get the boxed set. She was one courageous girl! I will buy the box set for my daughter to read. I definitely recommend this boxed set!
  • Josefina: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection)
  • Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)
  • Rebecca: An American Girl (Rebecca #1-6)
  • Julie: An American Girl (American Girls: Julie, #1-6)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • The Strange Case of Baby H (American Girl History Mysteries, #18)
  • Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7)
Connie Rose Porter is an African-American author best known for her books for children and young adults. She was the third youngest of nine children of a family living in a housing project.
She has since taught English and creative writing at Milton Academy, Emerson College, and Southern Illinois University Carbondale. She was a fellow at the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference and was a regional winner
More about Connie Rose Porter...

An American Girl: Addy (6 books)
  • Meet Addy: An American Girl (American Girls: Addy, #1)
  • Addy Learns a Lesson: A School Story (An American Girl: Addy, #2)
  • Addy's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Addy, #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Addy!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Addy, #4)
  • Addy Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Addy, #5)
  • Changes for Addy: A Winter Story (American Girls: Addy, #6)