Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)

Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (An American Girl: Addy #1-6)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  2,551 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Addy Walker is a proud, courageous girl growing up in 1864, during the midst of the Civil War. Addy's stories tell of her daring escape with her mother from slavery, and the challenges they face afterward as they try to reunite their family. But Addy's stories are about much more than hardship. They are full of the love and hope that help her get through the worst of times...more
Published November 1st 1994 by American Girl (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Addy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Addy

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Best Children's Historical Fiction
51st out of 479 books — 499 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderAmelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
Books for seven-year-olds
118th out of 307 books — 141 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel
Addy was the first American Girl who was introduced to the series in the midst of my obsession (or should I say, my first obsession? :P) Her stories were groundbreaking- they portrayed the first, non-White girl, and a very dark part of our nation's history. And though the books were watered down enough for child consumption, I could still feel Addy's family's degradation as slaves, the fear of trying something new (to imagine, freedom being new!) and the disappointment of it not living up to it'...more
Christina
The Addy series is a great way to introduce the idea of slavery from a realistic fiction point of view. Students can connect with the young girl, Addy, and her life as a slave. Addy faces many struggles as a young african american slave (the most visual is when she is forced to eat the cotton worms). There are many books about Addy, so students can continue reading about her life if they choose.
Kit
Addy was the only American Girl who actually did shit, instead of just running around her house pulling Nancy Drew-esque antics. This series also touched on actual history instead of just illustrating pretty furniture and clothing from the era. Addy FTW!
Taylor Parker
I went home this week and was so excited to find this book! I thought this would be perfect for historical fiction. This book talks about Addy's life and where she grew up and all of the things her and her family were dealing with. This book is FULL of history. She is a nine year old girl that is a slave on the North Carolina Plantation during the Civil War. As a little girl I truly enjoyed reading these book. These books would be great for 5th grade students. If I were using this book in the cl...more
Tori
I read this book in the fourth grade when we were learning about slavery. I also had this American Girl Doll and it really made me understand that time period and what was going on in our country
Olivia
These are very sad books but very interesting because you learn so much about slavery. I love Addy's character!
LaNaria
Mar 07, 2010 LaNaria rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all girls
Recommended to LaNaria by: sister
When I was about nine years old I found a copy of this book on the floor of my room. Me being not the type I assumed it was left behind by my sister in her rush to move out of the suffocating room we shared together. It seemed no longer than a picture book and the occasional illustrations made it seem slightly less antagonizing. So I read it...
Often as I went along I found myself glimpsing back at the cover. On this was an African-American girl like myself.
She wore a plaid dress, much like the...more
 Imani ♥ ☮
I first got these books when I was about 10 years old maybe. My dad was trying to get me to stop reading so many...reference books. Things like atlases, almanacs, nonfiction books really. Especially about history. He wanted me to read some chapter books. Little did he know that these books turned out to be some of the best historical fiction books I have ever read. These books follow the life of Addy, a young African American girl who is a slave. She escapes with her mother after both her Addy's...more
Tiff
Loved these books as a little girl. One of my favorite American girls. I actually still own these books I my book collection.
Kelley
Reviewed by my seven-year-old daughter: Addy lived on a plantation and she was a slave who worked all day long. They were mean to her and separated her family. Addy and her Mama had to leave her sister behind on the plantation and escape to freedom in Philadelphia. Addy made friends and got to go to school. Her mom worked at a dress shop and later their father came to join them. Then Sam, her brother found them after the war. He had lost his arm fighting. Later they found Auntie Lula and baby Es...more
Jennifer Joppie
This set of books is amazing. My students love this read-aloud and cannot stand it when I only read the first 4 of 6 in the set. They practically dive to get the last two to read. My boys in third grade had the entire class write a letter to the publisher to create a series of American Boy books. W enever heard back. They really wanted to be able to learn about the life of a boy during the same time in our country as Addie and the other characters in the American Girl series!
Taylor E
Apr 03, 2012 Taylor E rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: African-American children (7 or 8+)
Recommended to Taylor by: My mother
I'm 14 years old, African-American and in the 11th grade. I own this entire set and enjoyed all of the books. If you are African-American and want to easily teach your children about our heritage, racism and slavery; this is a thing to get. They are not like textbooks at all. It simply makes an example centralized around Addy, a young African-American, slave girl. I related to Addy as a little girl and the boxed set has played a significant part in my childhood.
Amanda Wheet
Addy was the one American Girl I never clicked with. I don't know if it was her period of history, or her personality, but I was just never dazzled by Addy.

Even reading again at 22, I find Addy fierce and hardworking, but boring. It's almost as if Porter underdevelops the character in comparison to her AG peers, so richly detailed.

Plus all her problems appear to solve themselves, with massive historical events with great writing potential skipped.
Rachel
Addy is a young girl born into slavery who runs away to Philidelphia with her mother near the end of the Civil War. Throughout the books she is slowly re-united with her family. I enjoyed these books more than I thought I would. I think the author did a good job of showing slavery and the racism against black people without being tramatic. I also appreciated the fact that the author points out church is a part of Addy's life in Philidelphia.
Julie
I would have given this series 3 stars, because the plots weren't as connected as in some of the other series, and I didn't like how the supporting characters disappeared from one book to the next, like what happened to M'Dear? But Alyssa and Kara have been playing "escaping from slavery" with their (blond) Barbies, and they seem to have a basic grasp on the Civil War. They even set up a Freedmen's Camp for their dolls!
Angela
Mar 14, 2008 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young teenage girls
Recommended to Angela by: Natelie
The American Girls Series is very well done. I read them as a young teenager to my little sister. In the front pages it has a traditional household of the country and arror. They have a story of young teenagers and the people around them. That give you an idea of their history. In the back pages it has read pictures or items that were used in the story. I think it is a very well done History Lesson
Julie
We have read about three other American Girls books, and this American Girl is our favorite. This series is so touching. The author is great at teaching children about slavery in a gentle and honest way. My girls are probably too young to know all the horrors of it, of course, but this gives them an idea. We started to read about Addy because they had some questions once about slavery.
Sarah Maddaford
Addy was a very interesting character, but as a young white girl who had never really experienced racism, I just had trouble connecting with her. She was a cool and interesting girl, but some of her problems seemed very distant at the time. I might think differently now, but as a kid her struggle to do well in school despite the conditions of the school just didn't seem real.
I will be studying the fictional character Addy with my daughters this next semester. I loved Addy and her family. I'm excited to talk to them about the Civil War, slavery, segregation and all that comes with it. I think through reading these books with my daughters it will be easier to bring up these difficult subjects.
Amy
May 13, 2008 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young girls
I love the American Girls books. They are wonderful to teach young girls about different time periods in history. This is in the setting of the Civil War. It has many teaching moments and helped my 9 & 7 year old girls see things from Addy's eyes. There were sad moments to be sure, but all in all, a happy ending.
Anne
My American Girl reading project continues! I had been warned ahead that Addy's stories had some violence in them, but I wouldn't call the violence (whipping and punishment on the plantation) inappropriate for the intended age group. That said, Addy as an individual isn't as well developed as some of the other American Girls.
Casey
Addy came out at about the time I was growing out of the American Girls. I remember, though, really admiring the writer for the scene where Addy was forced to eat a slug (she was a slave and had missed it and the foreman caught her). I appreciated how Porter exposed young girls to slavery in such a vulgar way.
Evelyn Jessica
The American girl books are wonderful ways to get little girls to read about historical events and circumstances. The story of slavery is tough for children to comprehend, so presenting it through a girl similar to themselves provides a smoother path toward understanding the horrors of our American history.
Maggie Wiggins
I really enjoyed the Addy series. It tied in nicely with the grade school curriculum, as did Felicity and Kirsten's stories. I don't remember studying Samantha or Molly's eras that extensively in school.

Readalikes: the other American Girl books, Laurie Lawlor's American Sisters series
Cindy Clarke
Lauren read this so I read it too- So far it is my favorite of the American Girl books- we had some great discussions about slavery, prejudice, hate/bitterness, love/forgiveness. I also noticed she was much more loving and patient with her little sister after reading it.
Erienne
Olivia and I read all 6 of these for a class she took this semester. I have to say I thought they were pretty good and Olivia is much more excited about history when we use American Girl books! The Addy set covers the Civil War/slavery era.
Spongebob
May 15, 2008 Spongebob rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to anyone
Addy is a great girl. Iliked this book because it dates back to the slave times. And I like to learn about how people survived and stuf like that back then. This book whould be great for any one. even if u like mistries
Sharia A.
This book series is great for 4th grade students. I read these books growing up. This book shows girls, in a nice way how girls their age in the slavery days adopted to harsh life. Students will find out how to be strong.
Alexis
Sep 09, 2008 Alexis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls
Beka
I don't remember all the stories (it's been years since I read it), but I always loved how they put in little bits of history that would stick in your mind because you learned them in a story.
  • Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)
  • Josefina: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection)
  • Julie: An American Girl (American Girls: Julie, #1-6)
  • Riddle of the Prairie Bride (American Girl History Mysteries, #12)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • Secrets on 26th Street (American Girl History Mysteries, #5)
  • Isabel: Taking Wing
  • Shadows on Society Hill: An Addy Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Voices at Whisper Bend (American Girl History Mysteries, #4)
  • Cecile: Gates of Gold
  • Welcome to Felicity's World · 1774: Growing Up in Colonial America (American Girls Collection)
  • Kathleen: The Celtic Knot
  • The Curse of Ravenscourt: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
Connie Rose Porter is an African-American author best known for her books for children and young adults. She was the third youngest of nine children of a family living in a housing project.
She has since taught English and creative writing at Milton Academy, Emerson College, and Southern Illinois University Carbondale. She was a fellow at the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference and was a regional winner...more
More about Connie Rose Porter...
Meet Addy: An American Girl (American Girls: Addy, #1) Addy Learns a Lesson: A School Story (An American Girl: Addy #2) Addy's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Addy, #3) Addy Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Addy, #5) Happy Birthday, Addy!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Addy, #4)