Start by marking “The Downfall of the Gods - Ragnarok” as Want to Read:
The Downfall of the Gods - Ragnarok

The Downfall of the Gods - Ragnarok

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  140 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Published December 1st 1989 by Books on Demand (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Downfall of the Gods - Ragnarok, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Downfall of the Gods - Ragnarok

Meghan
Oct 18, 2009 Meghan rated it really liked it
Sorensen's "The Downfall of the Gods" is a wonderful first-excursion into Norse mythology for those unfamiliar with the stories. Based on the lyrical poetic Edda, the myths contained are presented in plain, no-frills prose, therefore making it readily accessible to the curious and the unviking.

Where Sorensen becomes interesting (to his readers more familiar with the mythology) is his presentation of Loki, a being Sorensen claims, "...Has no parallels elsewhere - though it is worth nothing that
Linda
Jan 06, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
I picked this book up when browsing through the low-price bin at my local bookstore and ever since opening it on my way home I haven't understood how it got there.

I have always loved reading legends from Scandinavian mythology and this was a treat for me. Written in relatively simple language it is a book to slowly enjoy and of little enough volume to take up and re-read when new books are delayed in the post. It's shortness was also the only drawback I saw in the book, as I would have loved it
Riina Ojanen
Byattin ja Sorensenin Ragnarökit olivat houkuttelevasti vierekkäin kirjaston palautushyllyssä, joten tartuin molempiin. Tarkoituksenani oli lukea kirjat vertailevasti, sillä pidin B:n Ragnarökistä aiemmin keväällä paljon, mutta äiti nappasi sen itselleen luettavaksi. Siispä luin vain Sorensenin Ragnarökin.

Ensimmäinen ongelma tuli vastaan nimistössä. Aasamaa, Ulkomaa ja Keskimaa töksähtivät korviini, ja toivat hieman lastenkirjamaisen fiiliksen. Kirjaan valitut tarinat ovat tuttuja ja lyhyitä. So
Feb 22, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
I think what you have to keep in mind with this book is, that these are folk stories. Stories that have been told through history. Therefor, it's not bound to be profound literature, simply how the stories were told. And Sørensen's stories sound a lot like the ones that I have always been told. This is how I know the stories about Aserne, Midgård, Valhalla og Jætterne etc. Ragnarok. I read this in danish FYI. It was nice to read the stories again, which I probably haven't done since 3rd grade. I ...more
Ivo Stunga
Apr 11, 2013 Ivo Stunga rated it liked it
Tad nu ir tā, ka grāmata sevī apvieno skandināvu mitoloģijas īso ceļvedi, bagātinātu ar fikciju, kaujas un dižošanās ainām, kā arī ar nelielu devu humora, kā, piemēram, Tors, kurš nemitīgi grib visiem šķaidīt galvaskausus - vismaz reizes daždesmit - un tikai galvaskausus, neko citu.

Tajā tāpat varot sazīmēt mūsdienu situācijas atspulgu - dažādo nāciju un valstu līdzāspastāvēšanu un cīņu par varu. Jā, to var tur saskatīt. Bet man vairāk labpatikās vērot dievu un milžu cīņas, to savstarpējās attie
Charlotte
Jul 13, 2012 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Growing up in Scandinavia I have had my fill of Norse Mythology, also I have always had a certain interest in different mythologies. I have read the newer versions of original poems, non-canonical versions, the comics, the film, plays, viking museums.

Sørensen's "Ragnarok" is short, easily read and gives a good overview of Norse mythology. It is a retelling* of the legends and it gives a new perspective on the old stories, the gods and their actions. If you have read some of Villy Sørensen's oth
Iben
Nov 26, 2014 Iben rated it liked it
The downfall of the gods was quite boring, not that I really was expecting that much.
It is writen in a boring language, in a way that holds no excitement what so ever. The only reason a rate it so highly is that there is a limit to how boring you can make mytologi, but in my oppinion Villy Sorensen found that limit.
Reni
Nov 04, 2011 Reni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book, written in traditional fairy tale style, points at some big theological (or rather philosophical?) questions via re-tellings of popular Old Norse myths. And on top of that, if you know the myths, parts of it are simply funny as He(l)l.
Joro
Nov 28, 2008 Joro rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in literature and it's roots.
Great read for people who like national epics.Totally recommended for people who particularly like Norse mythology. Successful modern interpretation of the old Icelandic legends.
Bob
Aug 06, 2008 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
An imaginative retelling of the downfall of the Norse gods. Villy Sorensen has such a completely fresh take on these stories that they feel amazingly contemporary.
Maddie
Jul 09, 2012 Maddie rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
A short, easy and very accessible read. The book serves as a good introduction to the Norse mythology.
Ariel
Really more like 3.5 stars.
Līva_
May 30, 2011 Līva_ rated it really liked it
It ended too fast.
Casper
Casper marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Kristiina Widenius
Kristiina Widenius rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Jesper Sorensen
Jesper Sorensen rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Lilwa
Lilwa marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Baiba
Baiba rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Cassandra Reedus
Cassandra Reedus marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Jesse K
Jesse K rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
onejusthead
onejusthead rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Mikkel Thrane
Mikkel Thrane rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Camilla Johansen
Camilla Johansen rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Stefan Ketelsen
Stefan Ketelsen marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Martina Foktová
Martina Foktová rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Freja: Sagan om Valhalla (Sagan om Valhalla, #1)
  • Lykke Per
  • Ved Vejen
  • Nordiska väsen
  • Det forsømte forår
  • Shamran - den som kommer
  • Marie Grubbe
  • The Wolf and the Raven (Wodan's Children #1)
  • Lucifers kjærlighet (Sagaen om Isfolket, #29)
  • Under the Healing Sign (Crossroads, 2)
  • Rhinegold
  • Odin's Island
  • Planen
  • Ariadne:  A Novel of Ancient Crete
  • De Uanstændige
  • Digte 2014
  • The Door Into Shadow (Tale of the Five, # 2)
  • The Hanged Man: A Story of Miracle, Memory, and Colonialism in the Middle Ages
Villy Sørensen (13 January 1929 – 16 December 2001) was a Danish short-story writer, philosopher and literary critic of the Modernist tradition. His fiction was heavily influenced by his philosophical ideas, and he has been compared to Franz Kafka in this regard. He is the most influential and important Danish philosopher since Søren Kierkegaard.

Born in Copenhagen, Sørensen graduated from the Vest
More about Villy Sørensen...