Start by marking “The Smuggler's Treasure (American Girl History Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Smuggler's Treasure (American Girl History Mysteries, #1)

The Smuggler's Treasure (American Girl History Mysteries #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,405 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Book Description Publication Date: September 1999 | Age Level: 10 and up | Series: American Girl History Mysteries (Book 1) Sent to live with relatives in New Orleans during the War of 1812, eleven-year-old Elisabet determines to find a smuggler's treasure to ransom her imprisoned father.
Published September 1st 1999 by American Girl

To ask other readers questions about The Smuggler's Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Smuggler's Treasure

Willowy Whisper
May 14, 2016 Willowy Whisper rated it it was amazing
Been forever since I read this book, but I remember I really liked it. :) I didn't have the whole series, but I enjoyed the ones I read very much! :)
Agne
An enjoyable historical mystery. It's a great book to look at through the Marxist critical lens :)
Stefanie
Mar 19, 2012 Stefanie rated it it was amazing
The Smuggler's Treasure is about an eleven year old girl named Elisabet Holder who's father, a ship's captain, is captured by the British and Elisabet is sent to live with her aunt and uncle in New Orleans. Upon arriving Elisabet finds out that her uncle has passed away and her aunt is in Baton Rouge caring for her ill daughter. Elisabet is then expected to work in her aunt's bakery while her aunt is away, and Elisabet has an aversion to being a simple shop worker and has a superior attitude com ...more
The other John
This is one of the American Girl History Mysteries. It's the tale of Elisabet Holder, an eleven-year-old Boston girl whose father has been impressed by the British navy in 1814. Her mother is dead and her guardian decides to send her off to live with and aunt and uncle in New Orleans. When she arrives there, she learns that her uncle has died while she was en route and that he has left behind a mystery--a map of the surrounding bayous that would be worth a pretty price to the local government, s ...more
Ron
Aug 03, 2014 Ron rated it liked it
Marketed as "Intrigue for girls 10 and up" The Smuggler's Treasure seems to hit the right notes. A pleasant mystery set in a well-developed historical circumstance. Age and era appropriate notes on slavery, class and gender issues.

A good read.
Ethan B
Feb 05, 2013 Ethan B rated it it was amazing
I read The Smuggler's treasure and I think the theme is don't give up, because they kept trying and not finding anything but a lot of thinking and looking they found the clues.
Elevetha
Aug 19, 2012 Elevetha rated it really liked it
Loved it! Recommended. 8+.
Christina Cabezas
Dec 04, 2015 Christina Cabezas rated it liked it
Title: The Smuggler's Treasure
Author: Sarah Masters Buckey
Genre: Chapter book, historical fiction
Theme(s):
Family, discovery, adventure.
Opening line/sentence:
Eleven-year-old Elisabet Holder climbed the wooden ladder from the Marissa's dark lower deck to the brilliant sunshine on the top deck.

Brief Book Summary:
After her father becomes a prisoner of the British, Elisabet leaves her home in Boston to stay with family she has never met in New Orleans. Not only must she adjust to the different cul
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the History Mysteries series and takes place in 1814 during our second war with England. An eleven-year-old girl named Elisabet is now alone since her father was taken captive by the British and she goes to live with some relatives.

She was used to a rather good life but, as a result of what we later learn was a crooked lawyer, all of her father's money, land and property is taken and she is sent almost penniless to New Orleans where she ends up having to work in a bake
Kristine Hansen
Jan 16, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
History and mystery combine in the most excellent way in this story put out by the makers of American Girl. You meet a new girl in this story - one that has no doll (sad sigh) but has all the gumption and spirit of the other American Girls. Elisabet has just come to New Orleans during the War of 1812 and seems to have walked right into a mystery.

What I loved was this wasn't just an adventure story. There was a lot about what i means to change more than a location, but a way of life as she's lost
Colleen
Nov 12, 2011 Colleen rated it liked it
"...Arriving in the strange new city is, for Elisabet, like going to another country - the Louisiana Purchase has only just occurred recently, so the residents are still very much French or Spanish at heart. On top of this, she finds out that she is expected to work in her aunt and uncle's bakery as a shop assistant; this is very different from living in Boston with her father, where she went to school and had servants to wait on her. When she learns news of the ship that took her father prisone ...more
Ashley Amendolaro
Dec 31, 2014 Ashley Amendolaro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"The Smuggler's Treasure" was a book I got in a box set for one of my birthday's when I was little - I remember using it for a book report when I was 7 and being smug because it was recommended for children aged 10+. It's one of the books that really piqued my interest in historical fiction and reading in general, and therefore one that's stayed close to my heart all these years.

I'd recommend perusing it yourself before letting your children read it (not something I usually say), just because t
Kathleen Joy
Oct 24, 2014 Kathleen Joy rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I liked the characters,I liked the plot, like many mysteries throughout the book they were trying to find out who the villain was. And the bad guy in this book is the the person was most likely to be it and the person was also the meanest person in the book. So it was not a surpise when they found out it was that person who did it when it should of been. I would of liked this book much better if someone els was the villain. But either than that I enjoyed reading this bo ...more
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
In 1814, after her father is captured by the British, eleven-year-old Elisabet Holder must leave Boston to live with her aunt and uncle in New Orleans. When she arrives, she learns her uncle is dead, her aunt has gone to Baton Rogue, and she is expected to work in her aunt's bakery like a servant. When Elisabet learns of a treasure her uncle hid before he died, she decides to search for it so she can ransom her father. But that's only the beginning of the story. THE SMUGGLER'S TREASURE is an exc ...more
Melissa
A bit on the simplistic level, perhaps, but on a good level for children. The main character starts out as a somewhat spoiled and selfish girl (rich background), and transforms over the course of the book. She loves her father and wants to help him, so she and her new friend, Marie, begin to look for a mysterious object her uncle spoke of before his death. There is some historical background, about pirates, Jean Lafitte, and New Orleans.
Adrienne
Apr 16, 2008 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a mystery
This is a very exciting, suspenseful, and historical mystery. This is a true refresher when compared to other books published by American Girl Library, which are normally fairly dull with no real imagination. This is different. I read it for the first time in the third grade, and I absolutely adored it. This is definately worth reading.
Susan
Jan 08, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Good historical fiction about an 11-year-old girl in 1812 whose father has been captured by the British. She has to go live with her aunt and uncle, but finds that her uncle has died when she gets to New Orleans. She has been raised in luxury, but learns how to work and also finds a way to free her father.
RLL22016_TeresaCamacho
May 21, 2016 RLL22016_TeresaCamacho rated it really liked it
The Smuggler's Treasure is about a girl named Elisabet and whose father is captured by the British. She went to live with her uncle and aunt. She founds out that there is a treasure. She tries to find the treasure to sell it and free her father. I think that this a good book to read specially for girls.
Dae Ree
Dec 13, 2013 Dae Ree rated it it was amazing
Sincerely my favorite book out of the entire American Girl History collection. This book grabbed my attention even at the age of 7. My grandpa would even stay up late listening to my mother read to me so he could find out what happened, haha. When I got older and re read the book, still loved it. Great read, perfectly intense and empowering :)
Elizabeth Fuller
Jul 18, 2012 Elizabeth Fuller rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Elementary School Girls
I read this book many years ago. As a kid in the third - fourth grade age range, this book was at one point my absolute favorite. I can still recall checking it out of the library time after time... come to think of it, I don't know why I never just bought it. In any case, I can't say much about the quality now, but I'm rating it four stars for all of the great memories that I have from it.
storystereo
I still remember this one, too. It really stand out as one of the books I enjoyed the most.

Also I keep meaning to go back and read it, but there are so many other books I want to read first. I will have to check it out again sometime, though.
Rachel
Sep 11, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
This book series is great, especially for the age group it was written for. Not often do I read anything that is not fantasy or science fiction and like it, but these books are actually very good. And that is coming from someone who is bored to death by most regular fiction and any kind of history.
Caroline
Oct 03, 2012 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3rd-grade
This book makes me think about people in an orphanage. Marie in the story used to live in an orphanage. Then she got adopted. She becomes a friend to Elisabet. Together they find a treasure map. I like historical fiction.
Madeline Rose
I remember getting this from the library when I was younger. It was the first History Mystery I'd ever read. *Sigh*...Memories.
And I was definitely not disappointed. It was one of the best books I'd read! It holds so many memories for me. :)
5/5.
Lauren Zaglifa
Aug 05, 2012 Lauren Zaglifa rated it liked it
It's the perfect book for young readers that want a mystery that you can't put down, but something that won't have you sleep with a night light. Or lets say reading light that you plug into an outlet by the door. Don't want to make anyone sound childish. :)
Carolyn
Nov 15, 2011 Carolyn rated it liked it
Historical fiction for the younger set. Predictable for an adult but good character development with good mystery. Historical details about New Orleans in 1814 and about Jean Lafitte.
Skippy6289
terrible
Misty
Nov 24, 2009 Misty rated it liked it
Shelves: books-for-boys
The boys (5/3) loved this book that I read aloud to them. It has a treasure map and dogs and Jean Lafitte the Pirate. We will definitely be reading more of this series.
Lindsay
May 13, 2010 Lindsay rated it liked it
The History Mysteries series were books that my dad used to surprise me with when I was younger. They're oldies but goodies to me and have quite the sentimental value :)
Beka
Dec 12, 2011 Beka rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story (and series). The girls are easy to relate to and the settings are vivid. You get to enjoy a good story and learn about a period in history at the same time.
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • Shadows in the Glasshouse (American Girl History Mysteries, #10)
  • Under Copp's Hill (American Girl History Mysteries, #8)
  • Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7)
  • Mystery of the Dark Tower (American Girl History Mysteries, #6)
  • Riddle of the Prairie Bride (American Girl History Mysteries, #12)
  • Mystery at Chilkoot Pass (American Girl History Mysteries, #17)
  • Danger at the Wild West Show (American Girl History Mysteries, #19)
  • The Minstrel's Melody (American Girl History Mysteries, #11)

American Girl History Mysteries (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • Voices at Whisper Bend (American Girl History Mysteries, #4)
  • Secrets on 26th Street (American Girl History Mysteries, #5)
  • Mystery of the Dark Tower (American Girl History Mysteries, #6)
  • Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7)
  • Under Copp's Hill (American Girl History Mysteries, #8)
  • Watcher in the Piney Woods (American Girl History Mysteries, #9)
  • Shadows in the Glasshouse (American Girl History Mysteries, #10)
  • The Minstrel's Melody (American Girl History Mysteries, #11)