Start by marking “Kaya: An American Girl : 1764 / Box Set” as Want to Read:
Kaya: An American Girl : 1764 / Box Set

Kaya: An American Girl : 1764 / Box Set (American Girls: Kaya #1-6)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,084 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Book by Shaw, Janet Beeler
Published September 1st 2002 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about Kaya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kaya

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Best Children's Historical Fiction
82nd out of 485 books — 521 voters
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman AlexieBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealLove Medicine by Louise ErdrichBeyond Bridalveil Fall by Sheryl Seal
Native American Fiction
123rd out of 495 books — 446 voters

More lists with this book...

I read this series to my children and I was surprised to find out how much I didn't know about Native Americans. I think I also just put all Native Americans into one category not realizing how different each tribe is. For instance, I thought all tribes lived in animal skin tepees, but this is not the case.

Also, I think either my teachers only taught me respectful facts of United States history, or my mind only remembers the positive, because I never realized, or pondered on the realities of how
Kelley
Reviewed by my seven-year-old daughter: Kaya was amazing. She had a lot of adventures and I learned a lot about Native Americans before there were white people. I learned that a big part of their diet was salmon and that is gross. They burned buffalo poop for fuel. Kaya also gets kidnapped with her sister by another tribe. She gets to escape but she has to leave her sister behind.
Alicia Scott
Aug 08, 2007 Alicia Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any young girls who want to read an adventurous book
Shelves: haveread
This book shows just how hard life was way back when. It also relates to a girl's life now. Kaya has problems that a girl in this era could relate to: she just wants to play and have no chores, has twin brothers that are younger and drive her crazy, and a boy that she cant' stop thinking about!
Leilani
She lives in indea, and one american family moves in, they teach tem about religous how to build there house... but what if they do somthing horrible like gain there trust and steel food?
K.Q. Webster
Sep 04, 2012 K.Q. Webster rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young girls 6-10
My mom read this series to me when I was a young girl and I remember Kaya being my very favorite AG character. The Native American culture has intrigued me for as long as I can remember. I also remember the books being longer. I guess that means my attention span has grow since then and I can now sit down and read one of the books within the hour. Currently, reading them about 10 years later, I realize how simple the writing really is. It was just the right amount to hold my attention as a littl ...more
Catherine C
I really liked Kaya by Janet Shaw because it is really exciting. It is about a girl named Kaya who can't stop boasting about her horse named Steps High. But when she boasts to her friend named Raven he wants to race her. While they race her little four year old twin brothers wonder off into the woods. When Kaya gets back she asks her blind sister named Speaking Rain where they went but she did not know so they went off looking for them. Finally they found them in a tree. When they get back Kaya ...more
Wendy
Enjoying reading the American Girl Books with Sarah for her Liberty Girls Club. Teaches good values, morals, bravery, and courage.
Susan
Sydney Christopher
When I went to my new school in 5th grade (age 10), my 2 best friends at the time, Mac and Isabel, had read these books called American Girl Books. I'd heard of these dolls before, but not the books. So I got one from the library and read the 1st person's story, Kaya. i couldn't put when down. They were great at the time. I read another person's (addy) story, and I loved that one just as much. But of course, i grew up. And what comes with growing up, is leaving the little 3rd grade books and try ...more
Allison
I read these in second grade and I haven't touched them since but I have fond memories
Ashley
Feb 04, 2014 Ashley added it
It was ok but not the best ag book i have read.
Carrie
This book was all about Kaya, an American Indian girl living before the reservations were created in the great west. It is an interesting portrayal of life but very geared towards the young girl with specific lessons and morals for each book. For instance, Kaya boasts too much and after reading the book children will understand why boasting is bad. I remember loving the Kirsten books when I was a little girl so this is probably still perfect for young girls but adults, you can skip them by even ...more
Julie
My girls absolutely loved Kaya. I think that these books are really well written and the girls learned a bit of history as well. I have been impressed with the American Girls series. The heroes are just what I want my girls to learn to be-- honorable, trustworthy, forgiving, and many more qualities that seem to be absent from modern feminine ideals. We like reading them as well because they have a great story line.
Amanda Wheet
Oh, Kaya. These are still adorable, even at 22. Kaya was the last American Girl that was truly well done (a 1974 doll? really?). Her stories speak of respect for oneself, along with family and friends. These are well researched and well written for young girls, including phonetic pronounciation of Nez Perce words. This edition is simply stunning, and looks wonderful on a collector's shelf.
Strawberryblonde
I loved reading about Kaya when I was a little child. If I remember correctly, Kaya had a dog with her that she loved and I absolutely loved dogs when I was younger (still do) so that made me fall in love with these books when I was younger. Plus I loved reading about this series, because it was an exciting story! Brings back great memories.
Josie
I really liked Kaya she was pretty , but she just wasn't my style
Anna Mari
Like most of the American Girl Series, this book portrayed Kaya in a relatively historically accurate way. We follow Kaya through several adventures. My biggest beef with the book is that Kaya finds most of the 'things' she loses.
However, enjoyed the book, liked the reader and can recommend this book.
Anne
My American Girl project continues! I'm starting to figure out the formula: horses and dogs, special relationship with father, some sort of handcraft. Gee, I wonder why I like these?!?! I particularly appreciated this introduction to the Nez Pierce culture.
Anne
I love the American Girl books...I think they're such a great way for kids to learn about different times and cultures. There are so many new girls out since I last read them! I decided to read all of them in historical order. :p
Shimmywith4
This was my first American Girl series, and if they are all this good, then I am hooked. I felt the author was true to the beliefs these people would have had and that all the books had interesting, yet believable story lines
Kimberly Hortman
I liked reading about Kaya because my mom was always interested in the Native American culture and way of life. Their customs were wildly different from ours and it was so interesting so read about their daily life.
maidenofvirtue a.k.a. Mandy
One of my favorite AG's come to life in lively books full of action, fright, suspence, and lessons learned. I learned so much by reading this! Including customs and some language of the Indians!
Carolyn
Aug 01, 2008 Carolyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carolyn by: Liberty Girls Group
Shelves: children-love
We all loved these books. Ashley is telling me I need to buy them for her so she can read them herself because she missed a lot of the books because I read them to Mackenzie for Mommy Mackenzie time.
Myra
My first exposure to the American Girl historical books, and I was very pleased. Lots of meaningful conversations with my children were spawned from these books. Beautiful.
Rae
May 06, 2008 Rae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls
this book is the best book in the whole wide world it tells girls how to handle guys and she becomes a hero.

it also tells girls how to get a guy and ten ways
Lily
This is a amazing book. I am a doll collecter and the AG books are very interesting, especially the Kaya one. The customs, the language is all very informative.Kudos!
Angel
Sep 07, 2008 Angel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: lydia-age-6
One of my favorite American Girl series so far. Great intro to Native American culture/lifestyle and their perspective on the European settlers.
Alexis
Sep 09, 2008 Alexis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I think this book was good because it taught me about Native Americans. Ienjoyed reading this book because it talked a lot about horses.
Christina
Sep 24, 2014 Christina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K-5th graders
Shelves: 5, juvenile
This is a great series for young readers. Interesting, intriguing, and historical, this series is fascinating. (with some pictures too)
Cindy Clarke
Read for Liberty Girls. Not my favorite of the American Girl Series. Responsibility, trust, courage, working together.
  • Josefina: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection)
  • Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • Julie: An American Girl (American Girls: Julie, #1-6)
  • Rebecca: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7)
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
  • Nicki
  • Riddle of the Prairie Bride (American Girl History Mysteries, #12)
  • Mystery at Chilkoot Pass (American Girl History Mysteries, #17)
  • Lanie (American Girl of the Year 2010, #1)
Meet Kirsten: An American Girl (American Girls: Kirsten, #1) Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #3) Happy Birthday, Kirsten: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #4) Kirsten Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #2)