Start by marking “Kaya: An American Girl : 1764 / Box Set” as Want to Read:
Kaya: An American Girl : 1764 / Box Set

Kaya: An American Girl : 1764 / Box Set (American Girls: Kaya #1-6)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  1,352 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
The perfect way to learn about Kaya is with this complete set of her six books in an attractive slipcase. The set includes: Meet Kaya, Kaya's Escape, Kaya's Hero, Kaya and the Lone Dog, Kaya Shows the Way, and Changes for Kaya.
Published September 1st 2002 by American Girl Publishing Inc

Jun 22, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
I read this series to my children and I was surprised to find out how much I didn't know about Native Americans. I think I also just put all Native Americans into one category not realizing how different each tribe is. For instance, I thought all tribes lived in animal skin tepees, but this is not the case.

Also, I think either my teachers only taught me respectful facts of United States history, or my mind only remembers the positive, because I never realized, or pondered on the realities of how
Kelley
Oct 21, 2010 Kelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewell-s-books
Reviewed by my seven-year-old daughter: Kaya was amazing. She had a lot of adventures and I learned a lot about Native Americans before there were white people. I learned that a big part of their diet was salmon and that is gross. They burned buffalo poop for fuel. Kaya also gets kidnapped with her sister by another tribe. She gets to escape but she has to leave her sister behind.
Alicia Scott
Aug 08, 2007 Alicia Scott rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any young girls who want to read an adventurous book
Shelves: haveread
This book shows just how hard life was way back when. It also relates to a girl's life now. Kaya has problems that a girl in this era could relate to: she just wants to play and have no chores, has twin brothers that are younger and drive her crazy, and a boy that she cant' stop thinking about!
Sally
Feb 28, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this with daughter for a homeschool group. Sweet stories.

Reread 2017 with second daughter.
Leilani
Jan 30, 2009 Leilani rated it really liked it
She lives in indea, and one american family moves in, they teach tem about religous how to build there house... but what if they do somthing horrible like gain there trust and steel food?
Megan
A wonderful and beautiful series. I really, really enjoyed it, and learned quite a bit from it. Kaya's story is lovely; definitely worth the read.
Jessica King
Dec 26, 2016 Jessica King rated it liked it
I read through this series with my daughter in conjunction with our Native American history unit. It was a great way to make history more relatable to my 8 year old, as Kaya is around her age. What an eye opener for her to consider the realities of living in the NW (our home region) several hundred years ago! Harsh winters, bountiful but sometimes dangerous terrain, coming-of-age ceremonial journeys into the wilderness... many experiences that the Nez Perce had as children were far beyond the ch ...more
Chelsea Gouin
Jul 04, 2016 Chelsea Gouin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janet Beeler Shaw has redeemed herself with this collection; she also wrote the Kirsten series which turned out to be a real snore. Now, the Kaya doll came about after the initial American Girl set so I really had outgrown them by the time she was introduced. She's a Native American so she comes first in the timeline. Shaw doesn't exactly cater to the young crowd either by introducing maturer situations (all still appropriate for children, but be cautioned going ahead). Kaya chooses play over wo ...more
K.Q. Webster
Aug 30, 2011 K.Q. Webster rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young girls 6-10
My mom read this series to me when I was a young girl and I remember Kaya being my very favorite AG character. The Native American culture has intrigued me for as long as I can remember. I also remember the books being longer. I guess that means my attention span has grow since then and I can now sit down and read one of the books within the hour. Currently, reading them about 10 years later, I realize how simple the writing really is. It was just the right amount to hold my attention as a littl ...more
Catherine C
Apr 11, 2013 Catherine C rated it it was amazing
I really liked Kaya by Janet Shaw because it is really exciting. It is about a girl named Kaya who can't stop boasting about her horse named Steps High. But when she boasts to her friend named Raven he wants to race her. While they race her little four year old twin brothers wonder off into the woods. When Kaya gets back she asks her blind sister named Speaking Rain where they went but she did not know so they went off looking for them. Finally they found them in a tree. When they get back Kaya ...more
Susan
Dec 29, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Sydney Christopher
Sep 12, 2009 Sydney Christopher rated it it was ok
When I went to my new school in 5th grade (age 10), my 2 best friends at the time, Mac and Isabel, had read these books called American Girl Books. I'd heard of these dolls before, but not the books. So I got one from the library and read the 1st person's story, Kaya. i couldn't put when down. They were great at the time. I read another person's (addy) story, and I loved that one just as much. But of course, i grew up. And what comes with growing up, is leaving the little 3rd grade books and try ...more
Carrie
Sep 08, 2011 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
This book was all about Kaya, an American Indian girl living before the reservations were created in the great west. It is an interesting portrayal of life but very geared towards the young girl with specific lessons and morals for each book. For instance, Kaya boasts too much and after reading the book children will understand why boasting is bad. I remember loving the Kirsten books when I was a little girl so this is probably still perfect for young girls but adults, you can skip them by even ...more
Julie
Oct 17, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
My girls absolutely loved Kaya. I think that these books are really well written and the girls learned a bit of history as well. I have been impressed with the American Girls series. The heroes are just what I want my girls to learn to be-- honorable, trustworthy, forgiving, and many more qualities that seem to be absent from modern feminine ideals. We like reading them as well because they have a great story line.
Jennah
Mar 09, 2013 Jennah rated it it was amazing
I loved reading about Kaya when I was a little child. If I remember correctly, Kaya had a dog with her that she loved and I absolutely loved dogs when I was younger (still do) so that made me fall in love with these books when I was younger. Plus I loved reading about this series, because it was an exciting story! Brings back great memories.
Anna Mari
Sep 04, 2012 Anna Mari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: samantha, audiobooks
Like most of the American Girl Series, this book portrayed Kaya in a relatively historically accurate way. We follow Kaya through several adventures. My biggest beef with the book is that Kaya finds most of the 'things' she loses.
However, enjoyed the book, liked the reader and can recommend this book.
Amanda
Oh, Kaya. These are still adorable, even at 22. Kaya was the last American Girl that was truly well done (a 1974 doll? really?). Her stories speak of respect for oneself, along with family and friends. These are well researched and well written for young girls, including phonetic pronounciation of Nez Perce words. This edition is simply stunning, and looks wonderful on a collector's shelf.
Shimmywith4
Apr 04, 2011 Shimmywith4 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
This was my first American Girl series, and if they are all this good, then I am hooked. I felt the author was true to the beliefs these people would have had and that all the books had interesting, yet believable story lines
Caroline
Aug 17, 2016 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was good to reread this childhood favorite of mine from when I still played with American Girl Dolls. Very well-written and thought-provoking, this book taught me much about Native American culture and traditions and made me a more conscientious person.
Anne
Sep 08, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it
My American Girl project continues! I'm starting to figure out the formula: horses and dogs, special relationship with father, some sort of handcraft. Gee, I wonder why I like these?!?! I particularly appreciated this introduction to the Nez Pierce culture.
Kimberly Hortman
I liked reading about Kaya because my mom was always interested in the Native American culture and way of life. Their customs were wildly different from ours and it was so interesting so read about their daily life.
Lola
Kaya has always been my least favorite American Girl. I don't really hate any of them (except the bastardized new ones), but I definitely had my favorites. I liked Kaya as a character, but I wasn't that interested in her time period. I guess I'd recommend her books, but they're just not for me.
Anne
Feb 26, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing
I love the American Girl books...I think they're such a great way for kids to learn about different times and cultures. There are so many new girls out since I last read them! I decided to read all of them in historical order. :p
Ashley
Feb 04, 2014 Ashley added it
It was ok but not the best ag book i have read.
Lisa
Feb 22, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Madelynn's favorites, sparked an interest in Indian Lore.
Alexis
Sep 09, 2008 Alexis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I think this book was good because it taught me about Native Americans. Ienjoyed reading this book because it talked a lot about horses.
Faith
Jun 21, 2016 Faith rated it really liked it
All of May, I decided to read all the American Girl books that my family owns so I know more about writing similar fiction.
Mareena
Jun 16, 2007 Mareena rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: anyone
Blah, blah, blah.
aMandalin
Jan 16, 2009 aMandalin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-it
One of my favorite AG's come to life in lively books full of action, fright, suspence, and lessons learned. I learned so much by reading this! Including customs and some language of the Indians!
Huda
Feb 12, 2012 Huda rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Great series! It taught me a lot about the life of the Native Americans.
  • Josefina: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection)
  • Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • Julie: An American Girl (American Girls: Julie, #1-6)
  • Rebecca: An American Girl (Rebecca #1-6)
  • Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2)
  • Marie-Grace and the Orphans (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #3)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7)
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)

American Girls: Kaya (6 books)
  • Meet Kaya (American Girls: Kaya, #1)
  • Kaya's Escape! (American Girls: Kaya, #2)
  • Kaya's Hero: A Story of Giving (American Girls: Kaya, #3)
  • Kaya and Lone Dog: A Friendship Story (American Girls: Kaya, #4)
  • Kaya Shows the Way: A Sister Story (American Girls: Kaya, #5)
  • Changes for Kaya: A Story of Courage (American Girls: Kaya, #6)