Start by marking “Thick” as Want to Read:
Thick

Thick

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Nick is a nice guy. Nick has a problem. A real problem. In fact, he's got a lot of problems. He's slow in school, very slow, and even though he likes his teachrs, he's sometimes bullied by his classmates. His father is an abusive drunk, and Nick want to protect his sister from him. But Nick's worst problem has landed him in jail in a holding cell. THICK is an intense, susp ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Brown Barn Books

To ask other readers questions about Thick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thick

Luke Sands
May 08, 2014 Luke Sands rated it liked it
I gave this book three out of five stars because it was a good book but not for me. Thick is about a teen aged boy with some major problems in his life. For example, his father is an angry drunk and his sister, Hope, is applying for colleges and his father doesn't really like that. Nick, the main character of Thick, likes a girl he works with, Alice, but Alice’s boyfriend, Sam, also works with him. Sam is a bit abusive and one day Nick notices bruises and black eyes and decides to follow Alice h ...more
Jesi
Mar 17, 2014 Jesi rated it really liked it
Thick is about a teenage boy, Nick, who has been arrested for murder. He tells you right off the bat that he is guilty. What the reader doesn’t know is who he killed and why. As Nick tells his story to his lawyer, the reader discovers Nick to be a sweet, but slow boy, whose alcoholic father abuses and the kids at school bully. Nick handles the abuse as well as he can and even puts himself in the way when he sees others getting abused. This makes the fact that Nick will likely spend the rest of h ...more
Elizabeth
When I first heard about the book Thick, I thought it would be a heavy set kid. Instead, it made me appreciate the damage that can do to a teenager. The only thing it compares this is, is the HBO documentary abut the gun shoot and the teenagers. In the beginning I was pulled into the book because we notice Nick killed somebody, but we did not know the circumstances. It was like we are detectives from the book. I liked it. I also would relate to the teacher Mrs. Brown from the book. She was tryin ...more
Jake Chamberlain
it was good, but at the end it kind trailed
Kevin O'leary
Feb 06, 2015 Kevin O'leary rated it really liked it
The book thick I thought was a great read. When I was picking this book out it said it was for people that "weren't huge fans of reading" and me not a big fan of reading picked it up. Nick the main character has trouble throughout his life and seeks help. I do indeed recommend this book.
Salsabrarian
Suspenseful, satisfying hi-lo book about Nick, a slow high-school student who is in jail for killing someone with a gun. His lawyer has asked him to write about what happened and he describes the events and key players that led to him inadvertently killing Alice, a favorite co-worker and a bit of a crush. The reader never knows exactly who gets killed until the end: could it be Nickâs abusive and alcoholic father? Sam, Aliceâs jealous and abusive boyfriend? Brad, a classroom bully? Nick is a dec ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Grandma Bev for TeensReadToo.com

Colin Neenan takes you inside the mind of a young killer in his newest book. THICK is Nick's confession to murder as he writes down what happened for his lawyer...and you learn things about Nick that you don't expect. Nick is in terrible trouble, incarcerated in a holding cell with fifteen criminals, awaiting his trial for killing someone...

A very troubled seventeen-year-old, Nick's mother has been dead for three years and his sister, Hope, has been h
Jesse Rubinstein
Oct 22, 2013 Jesse Rubinstein rated it it was ok
Shelves:
A basic novel. Colin Neenan, a past librarian at Trumbull High School,wrote the novel, Thick, the story of a teenager that winds up in jail for the charge of murder. The novel is modeled for teenagers in high school that are not motivated to pick up a book and read. “THICK is an intense, suspenseful story for people who have a hard time finding a book they want to read,” states the blurb on the back of the book. However, half of the statement is false. Neenan essentially wastes the reader’s time ...more
Habdurahman
when i first heard of the book, I thought it would be about a heavy-set kid.Instead , it made me appreciate the damage that a gun can do to a teenager.The only thing i can compare it is the HBO Documentary about guns and teens.

From the very beginning i was pulled into the book because we knew Nick killed someone, but we didn't know the cirumstances. It was like we were the detectives in the novel.I liked that.

while i wan't tell you the
G´Angelo
when i first heard of the book thick. i thought it would be about life and how thick life can really get, it made me appreciate the harm a gun can do to another person. the only thing i can compare it is the hbo documentary about guns and teens.

from the very beginning i was pulled into the book because we knew nick killed someone, but we didn't know the circumstances. it was like we were
Davion
Apr 06, 2016 Davion marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: The next class
Its a good book but when i first heard about thick i thought it was about some kind of fat kid but it is a good book over all. My favorite part is when his sister said she was going to take nick to college with her.
Jaibriel
I thought that it will be about a thick animal that got bigger and dedroyed the whole world,but it ened up being a person who got a hold of a gun and killed a lot of people and got himself into jail.
Elijah
Apr 06, 2016 Elijah added it
Alicia
Apr 24, 2010 Alicia rated it really liked it
A quick read for reluctant readers about Nick aka Thick who has been abused by his father-- a father who drove their mother to commit suicide and is now a raging alcoholic. Beside the abuse, Nick is also slower than some and gets himself into trouble with a girl at work and her abusive boyfriend. In the end, the abrupt, quick ending leaves everyone wondering who Nick actually shot.

"I did it. I know I told you that when you were here, Mr. Lawson, but I want to say it again. I did it. I pulled th
Ukash Farah
goood book
Katie
Nov 12, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it
Laurie Halse Anderson posted a blog about a teacher who was fired based on her reading list at the school. This is one of the books the parents protested. It is a really good book about how we all have breaking point and what has to happen in order for us to reach it.
Mrs. KP
While I won't tell you the most exciting part, I will tell you that he finds himself in a girl's apartment because he wants to save her from the abuse she has suffered by her boyfriend.
Nasifa
Jan 24, 2012 Nasifa rated it really liked it
Read this book in 3 days, it was that interesting. The ending was not what I expected.

Sad that his father treated him badly but at least his sister is always there for him.
Matthew Restrepo
Apr 01, 2015 Matthew Restrepo rated it really liked it
i though it was a really good book because it was something that could happen in real life so i learned somke thing from it
Connor Dunleavy
Jan 15, 2013 Connor Dunleavy rated it really liked it
I usually do not like books like this one, but the way it was setup made me interested, and i would recommend it to anyone.
Hannah Hogan
Sep 23, 2013 Hannah Hogan rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It had such a plot twist and made me want to keep reading and reading.
Tamara Febus
Dec 18, 2013 Tamara Febus rated it liked it
The book is really good but isn't really my choice of reading.
Vince Mobilio
this book was very good and intence i really liked it.
Devin
Oct 21, 2014 Devin added it
its ok
Deborah Couto
Nov 18, 2013 Deborah Couto rated it really liked it
it was good
Jerry Sauce
Jerry Sauce rated it did not like it
Apr 28, 2016
Angela Ferson French
Angela Ferson French marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Orlando Sanchez
Orlando Sanchez rated it it was amazing
Anesia
Anesia rated it did not like it
Steven
Steven added it
« previous 1 3 next »
Colin Neenan grew up in New York City and has always lived in the East. He’s been a doorman, a chauffeur and a census worker, but now he’s a librarian in a high school.

He’s been writing forever and hopes that after you finish this book you’ll read his other books, IDIOT!, In Your Dreams and Live a Little. His daughters claim he eats too much salsa and sings too loud; they also call themselves mode
More about Colin Neenan...