The Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

The Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Molly wishes she and her friend Emily had an exciting volunteer job that really helped in the fight to win World War Two. Instead, they're magazine delivery girls at Oak Knoll Hospital. Soon, however, Molly and Emily start to suspect that something very un-patriotic is going on at Oak Knoll--and their snooping leads them deep into trouble!
Published February 20th 2007 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about The Light in the Cellar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light in the Cellar

Marian
Re-read this one because Mums brought it home from the library. After checking to make sure it wasn't the Molly mystery you had no chance of figuring out while reading it, I went ahead and re-read it. It's a cute book that takes place during Molly's six book original series since Emily is still living with the McIntire family and Molly is still a little awkward around Emily.

I really can't comment on the mystery aspect since it's a re-read, but it's not impossible to figure out whodunnit nor is...more
Elle
Molly Mystery: A Light in the Cellar, American Girl
Molly and Emily are working as volunteer magazine girls and while teaching Emily to ride a bike they see a light in the cellar at Greystone Manor. When Molly and Emily go in to Greystone Manor to get Mrs.Currier's eye glasses they here people in the cellar that shouldn't be there. Molly and Emily, throughout the story, try to figure out who was in the cellar. Also, things that are hard to get during the war such as sugar, tires, butter, and much...more
Jamie Brooks
I have been super busy with work and getting a new pet (a snake!) so I have not had much time to read. I need something short and fast to help with my thirst for words and this worked. I used to be really into anything American Girl when I was a kid and I like revisiting this wonderful world on occasion. Molly was always my favorite. I liked her time period and the kind of spunk she had and this book showed both of those really well. It was a cute story and had a good moral of doing the right th...more
Ashley
A Molly Mystery from American Girl

Molly wishes she and her friend Emily had an exciting volunteer job that really helped in the fight to win World War II. Instead, they're magazine delivery girls at Oak Knoll Hospital. Soon, however, Molly and Emily start to suspect that something very un-patriotic is going on at Oak Knoll- and their snooping leads them into trouble!

Great mystery book as always! I love American Girl books and I love how in this one Molly and Emily work together to solve the myst...more
Sharon
Molly McIntire isn't thrilled with having soybean casserole for supper, but she realizes her family is dealing with the home front effects of World War II. Meat shortages, Victory gardens, ration stamps, and War Bonds are the norm.

The McIntire family are avid volunteers; Molly and her friend Emily serve as magazine girls at Oak Knoll Hospital. Then bags of sugar disappear from the Oak Knoll and Red Cross kitchens. Molly also observes strange events at Greystone Manor; she is determined to solve...more
Karen Altschul
My daughter is into the American Girl books right now, and this one was the first she read. It's a really good mystery, good historical novel, and a great book for young readers. The story is interesting, and I love the "Peek to the Past" at the end of all these books, which provides factual reference. This book features Molly and Emily during WW2. Riding bikes, baking, helping a cause, freedom and responsibility—so many connections can be made for young readers, as well as just enjoying a good...more
Snorkle
I thought this was a good juvenile mystery book. The characters were pretty evenly fleshed out. I was almost fooled when they put the decoy thief as the prime suspect. I liked how it all wrapped up. I would probably recommend if you were a fan of the American Girl series.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Meadow
Molly wishes she and her friend Emily had an exciting volunteer job that really helped in the fight to win World Wars Two. Instead, they’re magazine delivery girls at Oak Knoll Hospital. Soon, however, Molly and Emily start to suspect that something very un-patriotic is going on at Oak Knoll—and their snooping leads them deep into trouble
Chandler
Kyla also got this, she is wanting to read these American Girl books because they are so popular. I thought I'd check it out, and I really liked this one. They have a historical backdrop, so they are educating and entertaining. I can see why they are so popular. I wouldn't mind reading some more, for some light reading sometime.
Brian
This is another great American Girl story. Molly is determined to find out who is stealing items from the hospital. The story is dinamic and touches the heart of any reader. The times were hard during World War II and Molly's attitude reminds us all that something can be done when someone is hurting others.
Michelle DeKorver
Feb 24, 2010 Michelle DeKorver rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8-10 year old girls
Definately a doable book for 8-10 year old girls who like mysteries. The fact that it is set during WWII adds to the flavor and give us a little insight to what it must have been like during the war.
Hanna
This book was short but worth reading. I am surprised that everything went well with Molly's plan. I would not be brave enough to call the police for something I am not even sure of.
Amanda Wheet
This has won several awards, and with good reason. The Light in the Cellar is like it's own little Nancy Drew mystery, and really brings home the black market for rations.
Kat
It was a bit predictable, which I figured since it is for younger children. I liked the time period. It also wanted to keep reading. There were some great chapter cliffhangers.
Kelly
Loved it. A real mystery with plenty of suspects and theories. I also like how it patches some holes in Molly's canon story. A great read!
Elise
shows you partialy that you should be thankful that you're a magizine delivery girl instead of a nurse at Red Cross.
Nikola
This book was amazing and full of marvelous adventures.It was also fun guessing who the theif was!
Sydney
i like the part when Molly and her friend stop the bad guy from stealing all the sugar.
Andrea Amador
I learned about long time ago and about world war 2.
Anna
A must-read for any American Girl fan.
Ruthie
I have read it and LOVED it!!!
Meg
literary takes you into the past.
Zoe
I really give it 4 and a half.
Sabrina
Katie Bug
interesting!!!!
Taya454
i loved this book
  • A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Shadows on Society Hill: An Addy Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Brave Emily (American Girls: Molly)
  • Voices at Whisper Bend (American Girl History Mysteries, #4)
  • The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
  • Changes for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #6)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • The Strange Case of Baby H (American Girl History Mysteries, #18)
The Smuggler's Treasure (American Girl History Mysteries, #1) The Curse of Ravenscourt: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries) The Stolen Sapphire: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries) Meet Marie-Grace (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #1) Marie-Grace and the Orphans (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #3)