Start by marking “The Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
The Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

The Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  468 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Molly wishes she and her friend Emily had an exciting volunteer job that really helped in the fight to win World War Two. Instead, they're magazine delivery girls at Oak Knoll Hospital. Soon, however, Molly and Emily start to suspect that something very un-patriotic is going on at Oak Knoll--and their snooping leads them deep into trouble!
Published March 1st 2007 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published February 20th 2007)

Jamie Brooks
Feb 27, 2013 Jamie Brooks rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, read-in-2013
I have been super busy with work and getting a new pet (a snake!) so I have not had much time to read. I need something short and fast to help with my thirst for words and this worked. I used to be really into anything American Girl when I was a kid and I like revisiting this wonderful world on occasion. Molly was always my favorite. I liked her time period and the kind of spunk she had and this book showed both of those really well. It was a cute story and had a good moral of doing the right th ...more
Marian
Feb 25, 2014 Marian rated it really liked it
Shelves: readit, ag, 2014
Re-read this one because Mums brought it home from the library. After checking to make sure it wasn't the Molly mystery you had no chance of figuring out while reading it, I went ahead and re-read it. It's a cute book that takes place during Molly's six book original series since Emily is still living with the McIntire family and Molly is still a little awkward around Emily.

I really can't comment on the mystery aspect since it's a re-read, but it's not impossible to figure out whodunnit nor is
Mar 17, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
This book is about Molly and her friend Emily help a lady in the hospital by checking on her house.When they were leaving to go home they saw a light turn on in the cellar and a truck in the garage.The next day at the hospital they ask the lady if anyone else lives in the house,she says no.Who was in the house?
Elle
Dec 13, 2013 Elle rated it it was amazing
Molly Mystery: A Light in the Cellar, American Girl
Molly and Emily are working as volunteer magazine girls and while teaching Emily to ride a bike they see a light in the cellar at Greystone Manor. When Molly and Emily go in to Greystone Manor to get Mrs.Currier's eye glasses they here people in the cellar that shouldn't be there. Molly and Emily, throughout the story, try to figure out who was in the cellar. Also, things that are hard to get during the war such as sugar, tires, butter, and much
Ashley
Jun 15, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing
A Molly Mystery from American Girl

Molly wishes she and her friend Emily had an exciting volunteer job that really helped in the fight to win World War II. Instead, they're magazine delivery girls at Oak Knoll Hospital. Soon, however, Molly and Emily start to suspect that something very un-patriotic is going on at Oak Knoll- and their snooping leads them into trouble!

Great mystery book as always! I love American Girl books and I love how in this one Molly and Emily work together to solve the myst
Sharon
Feb 17, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
Molly McIntire isn't thrilled with having soybean casserole for supper, but she realizes her family is dealing with the home front effects of World War II. Meat shortages, Victory gardens, ration stamps, and War Bonds are the norm.

The McIntire family are avid volunteers; Molly and her friend Emily serve as magazine girls at Oak Knoll Hospital. Then bags of sugar disappear from the Oak Knoll and Red Cross kitchens. Molly also observes strange events at Greystone Manor; she is determined to solve
Marygrace Reed
Dec 04, 2014 Marygrace Reed rated it really liked it
ITS PR3TTY GOOD.(:
Karen Altschul
Nov 22, 2013 Karen Altschul rated it it was amazing
My daughter is into the American Girl books right now, and this one was the first she read. It's a really good mystery, good historical novel, and a great book for young readers. The story is interesting, and I love the "Peek to the Past" at the end of all these books, which provides factual reference. This book features Molly and Emily during WW2. Riding bikes, baking, helping a cause, freedom and responsibility—so many connections can be made for young readers, as well as just enjoying a good ...more
Jun 03, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
I thought this was a good juvenile mystery book. The characters were pretty evenly fleshed out. I was almost fooled when they put the decoy thief as the prime suspect. I liked how it all wrapped up. I would probably recommend if you were a fan of the American Girl series.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Meadow Frisbie
Dec 16, 2008 Meadow Frisbie rated it really liked it
Molly wishes she and her friend Emily had an exciting volunteer job that really helped in the fight to win World Wars Two. Instead, they’re magazine delivery girls at Oak Knoll Hospital. Soon, however, Molly and Emily start to suspect that something very un-patriotic is going on at Oak Knoll—and their snooping leads them deep into trouble
Chandler
Jan 05, 2009 Chandler rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books, own
Kyla also got this, she is wanting to read these American Girl books because they are so popular. I thought I'd check it out, and I really liked this one. They have a historical backdrop, so they are educating and entertaining. I can see why they are so popular. I wouldn't mind reading some more, for some light reading sometime.
Brian
May 03, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing
This is another great American Girl story. Molly is determined to find out who is stealing items from the hospital. The story is dinamic and touches the heart of any reader. The times were hard during World War II and Molly's attitude reminds us all that something can be done when someone is hurting others.
Michelle DeKorver
Feb 24, 2010 Michelle DeKorver rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 8-10 year old girls
Definately a doable book for 8-10 year old girls who like mysteries. The fact that it is set during WWII adds to the flavor and give us a little insight to what it must have been like during the war.
Miri
May 11, 2015 Miri rated it really liked it
Someone in town is stealing sugar, and with the rationing, they can sell it on the black market. There is something very unpatriotic going on and Molly and Emily are going to figure it out.
Hanna
Oct 23, 2013 Hanna rated it liked it
This book was short but worth reading. I am surprised that everything went well with Molly's plan. I would not be brave enough to call the police for something I am not even sure of.
Amanda
Aug 18, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This has won several awards, and with good reason. The Light in the Cellar is like it's own little Nancy Drew mystery, and really brings home the black market for rations.
Kat
Jun 13, 2013 Kat rated it it was ok
It was a bit predictable, which I figured since it is for younger children. I liked the time period. It also wanted to keep reading. There were some great chapter cliffhangers.
Kelly
Jan 06, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: ag-books
Loved it. A real mystery with plenty of suspects and theories. I also like how it patches some holes in Molly's canon story. A great read!
Elise
May 06, 2011 Elise rated it really liked it
shows you partialy that you should be thankful that you're a magizine delivery girl instead of a nurse at Red Cross.
Nikola
Nov 28, 2013 Nikola rated it really liked it
This book was amazing and full of marvelous adventures.It was also fun guessing who the theif was!
Sydney
Nov 15, 2013 Sydney rated it really liked it
i like the part when Molly and her friend stop the bad guy from stealing all the sugar.
Andrea Amador
Apr 09, 2010 Andrea Amador rated it it was amazing
I learned about long time ago and about world war 2.
Anna
Mar 28, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
A must-read for any American Girl fan.
Ruthie
Feb 12, 2011 Ruthie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
I have read it and LOVED it!!!
Meg
Jun 25, 2011 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves:
literary takes you into the past.
Zoe
Sep 22, 2013 Zoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: september-2013
I really give it 4 and a half.
Hannah
Jan 16, 2016 Hannah rated it liked it
I really loved this one!
Sabrina
Aug 04, 2010 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Very good mystery book!
MT
Nov 02, 2008 MT rated it it was amazing
I liked it.
  • Clues in the Shadows: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Shadows on Society Hill: An Addy Mystery
  • The Tangled Web: A Julie Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Crystal Ball: A Rebecca Mystery
  • Brave Emily (American Girls: Molly)
  • Voices at Whisper Bend (American Girl History Mysteries, #4)

American Girl Mysteries (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Ghost Wind Stallion: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Traitor in Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Traitor in the Shipyard: A Caroline Mystery
  • The Traveler's Tricks: A Caroline Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Smuggler's Secrets: A Caroline Mystery
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Glowing Heart: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)