A Smart Girl's Guide to Starting Middle School: Everything You Need to Know About Juggling More Homework, More Teachers, and More Friends (A Smart Girl's Guide...)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  420 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Middle school is all about change. In the opening section, girls take a quiz to determine how they respond to change, then receive tips on how to cope with the big changes that they're getting ready to face as they start middle school- switching classes, getting up earlier, and having their own lockers, all while learning to manage a new school, new teachers, new friends,...more
Published July 1st 2004 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published January 1st 2004)

The Care and Keeping of You by Valorie SchaeferA Smart Girl's Guide to Starting Middle School by Julie WilliamsA Smart Girl's Guide to Staying Home Alone by Dottie RaymerA Smart Girls Guide to Friendship Troubles by Patti Kelley CriswellFrom Hurt to Happiness by Mike Van
Growing Up Books
2nd out of 33 books — 23 voters
The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens by Sean CoveyThe Care and Keeping of You by Valorie SchaeferA Smart Girl's Guide to Money by Nancy HolyokeTeen Life by D.M. MejiasLife Strategies For Teens by Jay McGraw
Kids Self Help
7th out of 30 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

$hanel
So when I first started middle school (6th grade for me) I was very nervous and afraid everyone would not like me (I was from a different district) and what my homework, schedule, teachers and classes would be like. I got this book before I went to middle school of coarse and I have been using it throughout my middle school years 6-7 and Im currently in 7th and things have been AWESOME (except for my skills in math sadly I will never be good at math) and I want to go to middle school every day!...more
Sophie708
It had some pretty good tips in it. Even my brother, who was scoffing at it earlier, took a peek at it and admitted it actually did have some good and true tips in it.
Maya
This book is so helpful from how to study, who to talk to when, moods of teachers, and so much more. I suggest it to people in middle school
Kimberly
Jul 22, 2011 Kimberly rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NO ONE
I got it today, hoping it would prepare me for middle school.

NO!! It was NOT helpful whatsoever. Don't bother getting it unless you're looking for bad hints, weird pics, or anything else like that.

Please don't get this, it's not helpful, you're better off without this book! It actually made me worry more !!!!!!!
Courtney
Do you need advice on starting middle school? Well this book is a great guide on how to do that! It has great tips from study habits to making friends. From opening your locker to how to make the grade. So are you stressed out about middle school?
WELL READ THIS BOOK
Alexeis
Jul 14, 2008 Alexeis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all my friends who are girls
I have learned that middle school is going to be fun and busy. It is very complicated. But, for starters, I'll say that middle school is fun, but it includes lots and lots of homework, after-school sports, and way less time to play, relax and do a lot of fun stuff.
Stephanie
This seems like such a dumb book to read now, like why did I even bother worrying about it so much. But I did, and when I was all freaked out about going into middle school I was obsessed about reading this book. It does have lots of little helpful tips.
Miranda
this book gave helpful information for all girls starting middle school. it told me what to look for on the first day of school to teacher's, to bullies!!!! i was well prepared for middle school after i read this book.
Julia
May 02, 2008 Julia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: only girls
Recommended to Julia by: my parents gave it to me
This book is great for any 5th grader starting middle school. It tells you where the best place to sit in class is, lets you take quizes, how to make new friends, and much more. ALL GIRLS READ THIS BOOK!
Kiersten
Nov 02, 2008 Kiersten rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone even if you are a boy that is going to middle school
Recommended to Kiersten by: My grandma
This book was very helpful. I read it over the summer and I learned a lot. It taught me the propper way to open your locker, some tips to get ready for the next day, and many more........
Madison
i am currently reading this book because tommorow i go 2 middle school and i got this book today im half way threw it but its good i recomend it to every one whos strarting middle school
Alicia Alonso
Jan 02, 2012 Alicia Alonso rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: E
I got it as a christmas present and it was really good!
It gave some really good advice, answered a lot of my problems and I could relate to it!
TOTALLY RECOMMEND IT!
Luz
This book is great for girls who are starting middle school. Once i finished reading it i was so ready for what was coming towards me because i wasn't afraid.
slcc137
This book is really good! If you want the low-down on middle school and what to expect, this is the perfect book! In fact this series is amazing!
Leanne
This book was REALLY short... you don't really want to read it now... you have it all first hand... but it will help on the locker problem!
Grace
This is a good book if you are a girl going into middle school.It tell you alot about middle school
Elizabeth
An absolutely great book it gives you a lot of info. on what middle school is like.
Katie
I learned a lot of things about middle school from this book!
Emily
kind of interesting. I learned a little.
™yourbeautifulnightmaree™
Nov 03, 2007 ™yourbeautifulnightmaree™ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody going into middle school
this bok has tauhgt me some stuff i need to know!
Sandra
Middle school girls love these books.
Riya
I read this with Meera :)
Haley
I bought this book two summers ago, when I was starting middle school and it didn't really help much. Sure it was sort of interesting, but I knew half of the stuff in the book because of common sense. I don't think it's a bad book, per se. I just don't think anyone really needs this book. if you are really, super worried about starting middle school and need advice, go ahead and read it. But if you are only mildly worried (like I was when I started middle school) pass on this one.
Nasifa
My Dad got me this book so that I can be ready for Middle School. I think that the book a smart girl's guide to starting middle school helped me a lot. Because now that I'm in middle school met a lot of friends & I know all the teachers. They are really cool!! I think that this book helped me & let me learn all about middle school & what to expect and handle things in school. I would read it again!!!
Mardi
Wish I would've known about this book before M started middle school. It would've allayed a lot of fears and worries! She's reading it now ... better late than never. It has a lot of great pearls in it, and sometimes these pearls are more readily accepted when someone other than your mom is handing them to you.
Ella
This book helped me so much when I was in middle school. It tells you tips about getting ready for school, how to open your locker, your classes, etc. After reading it and learned about middle school, I did so well in school. Now that I'm in high school, some of the tips is still helpful to me. I recommend this book.
Dallas
This book would have been helpful to me before I started Junior High School many years ago. I hope my almost-middle-schooler will find it helpful. If nothing else, it gives us a place to start talking about things. Maybe it will help her form questions she didn't know she had.
Meena
Oct 29, 2013 Meena added it
Shelves: favorites
My mom bought me this book when I was starting 6th grade. It was (kinda) helpful. It would have been a lot more helpful if I had actually started going to a middle school like the pictures it shows in the book.
Anya
This book gave me many great tips about middle school.I recommend it to other smart girls that are going into middle school like me. Ha Ha! :] :) they are both happy faces by the way.
Candi
Aug 16, 2011 Candi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who's starting middle school
This book had so many great tips and answers to most of my questions. I feel way more confident about starting middle school than I did before I read this book!
Middle school 2 12 Dec 11, 2011 01:37PM
I NEED HELP!!!!! 1 7 Jun 23, 2011 05:29PM
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Money: How to Make It, Save It, And Spend It
  • A Smart Girls Guide to Friendship Troubles: Dealing With Fights, Being Left Out and the  Whole Popularity thing
  • The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library)
  • The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions
  • Mia
  • Tear Up This Book!: The Sticker, Stencil, Stationery, Games, Crafts, Doodle, and Journal Book for Girls!
  • Jess (American Girl Today)
  • Marisol (American Girl Today)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Care and Keeping of You 2: The Body Book for Older Girls
  • Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie, #2)
  • Lindsey
  • Danger at the Zoo: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Manatee Blues (Wild at Heart, #4)
  • Nicki
  • Samantha Saves the Wedding
  • Welcome to Felicity's World · 1774: Growing Up in Colonial America (American Girls Collection)
  • Kailey
There is more than one author with this name
More about Julie Williams...
Skin & Nails: Care Tips for Girls (American Girl Library) Disrespecting Lela Romeo and Julie: My Secret Erotic Dilemma with Romeo of Julingdom. Pyromania, Kleptomania, And Other Impulse Control Disorders Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder