Start by marking “Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)” as Want to Read:
Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)

Samantha's Boxed Set (American Girls: Samantha #1-6)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  5,138 ratings  ·  145 reviews
This is a Boxed set of 6 books of Samantha An American Girl --1st book=Meet Samantha 2 book=Samantha learns a lesson 3rd book= Samantha's surprise 4th book= Happy Birthday Samantha 5th book Samantha Saves the day 6th book Changes for Samantha.
Paperback, Boxed Set of 6 books, 432 pages
Published September 1st 1990 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about Samantha's Boxed Set, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samantha's Boxed Set

Alyssa
Read the American Girl books as a child and adored them. I still own quite a few of the books and two box sets, so I should probably do a re-read.
Lauren
I love American Girl. The whole enterprise is to make girls relate and care about history. Ask any history teacher and they will spend hours telling you how important that is.
Elaina
I sort of wanted to be Samantha in 3rd/4th grade. Of course, I had the doll and her school desk. She was the jam.
Lola
A small part of my heart will always love American Girl. Samantha was probably one of my favorites, and I started crying when I heard they retired her. I hate the doll they replaced her with on Principal. The Samantha books are also set in an area of I find fascinating: the early 1900s. During this time, the world was changing. Cars were starting to be seen on the streets, electricity was in homes, and women started to fight for their right to vote. Samantha is caught between a clash of traditi ...more
Kristin
Set in 1904, Samantha is a nine year old orphan living with her wealthy grandmother. Through the sequence of books, we learn about the divisions between servants and "their betters", children's lives as factory workers, and orphanages of the day. Samantha also adventures in the country, investigating land and water with her twin cousins. These caught my eight year old's attention and she wanted to read late into the night. Of course, we're now looking for the movie!
Shea Dorsey
This book is under the genre of historical fiction. The book revolves around Samantha, a girl raised in Victorian Times, who lives with her wealthy grandmother. She always wears the prettiest dresses and doesn't realize the hardships others face. She then befriends a servant girl named Nellie and discovers more about the society she lives in. I rated this book 5 out of 5 because not only does it show children what the time period in the early 1900s was like, but it deals with the racial and soci ...more
Melissa Mckee
Adler, Susan. The American Girl: Samantha. Wyoming: American Girl Publications Inc, 1990. Print.
Genre: Children’s Chapter Book
The American Girl: Samantha by Susan Adler is a series of books that gives the reader an in depth look into the life of Samantha. Readers are introduced to her family and friends as her life unfolds in the stories. This book has detailed illustrations that entice the reader into wanting to read further into the material, aiding in the visioning of events. The illustration
Anjali Williams
I was pleasantly surprised by this box set, my first foray into the American Girl doll books. My daughter loved the historical glimpse into how girls lived, "way back when," seeing how different - and the same - it is for girls. I liked how the books address race, class, and gender inequities, instead of completely sugar-coating it. 5 stars for her; 4 stars for me.
Kit
Samantha was such a tart, I loved it. She was so fancy, she might as well have just kept her pinky held up in the air at all times. Whenever the exploitative American Girls catalog came around, I would run to my mom with it clutched within my white knuckles, and the only section that it would ever be turned to was Samantha's (except for Addy's cast iron skillet with a freakin' kit for sweet potato PIE). I would throw myself at my mom's knees and demand to know WHY I couldn't have an American Gir ...more
Karen
For some reason when I was growing up, I was not much of a reader, until I discovered these books. The whole series (and the other America Girl's collection) was always a constant page turner for me. The vivid writing transports you into a time of history, however, I connected to a lot of the same problems, relationships, and ways of lives that these girls were experiencing. It was nice to discover that Something I was experiencing as a child was actually happening to other girls back, even from ...more
Audrey
Everybody wanted to be Samantha. Samantha was the most glamorous of the American Girls - a wealthy, well-dressed orphan who lived in a hugeass Victorian house (with servants) with her grandmother whom she called "Grandmary". She had a hot uncle who drove a jalopy and a hot soon-to-be aunt named Cornelia. One of Samantha's "adventures" was hiding her poor Irish immigrant child laborer friend in the attic. Samantha had a shiny brass lunchbox and ate glamorous things (well, to a seven-year-old) lik ...more
Susie
Serious quality. All the American Girl books are great. They give a great history lesson to kids. I first started reading Samantha's books in about 1st or 2nd grade. I got a Samantha doll when I was in third grade. Anyway, her stories an interesting picture of both wealth and poverty during the turn of the century. Nothing is too harsh because it's written for kids, but nothing is really sugar-coated either. Samantha also deals with stuff all girls deal with - tough teachers, annoying neighbor b ...more
Tara Frye
I loved this book as a girl. I loved the American girl series. I love that it brought history to them. Samantha had a really good story to her.
Starie
I read many of the American Girl series as a kid. I thought it was a rite of passage for all girls at that time.
Ashley LaPaglia
My obsession with this series all began with my Samantha "American Girl" Doll. Samantha was a young girl, like me, who was very privileged and came from a family with a lot of money, not like me. I learned a lot about the history of her time, and was able to relate to Samantha as a young girl, even though many of her circumstances were unlike mine. I loved being able to read about a girl that led a completely different life than I did, yet dealt with similar issues as I did growing up. The Autho ...more
After several false starts, my daughter (six) and I settled on Samantha as the first "American Girl" she wanted to hear about. She liked the first two books (Meet Samantha, Samantha Learns a Lesson) enough to hear them each in one sitting, and she is enthralled to hear all of the different ways Christmas and birthdays were celebrated in other times and cultures.

Expect these stories to spark some heavy discussion--while not graphic or morbid, they address head-on subjects like child labor and Vic
This book is the collection and it was the closest I currently could find to the collection I had. This series opens your eyes to what life is like in the priveledged young girls in 1904. To some Samantha had been a jerk but yet we all have to consider that society has changed in the last 108 years. After losing this collection to the May 22nd Tornado, I miss reading them. I also had the doll along with several of her outfits. For many of ya'll who have the doll, she is now retired and worth mon ...more
Mary Fortenberry
My mother travels a lot for work. After being taken to New York when I was 8, I feel in love with the American Girl collection- books and dolls. Samantha was my favorite. Her collection of books is a great read for young girls. Samantha is a wealthy girl being raised by her grandmother. While her life is filled with lots of glamor and parties, she realizes her servant friend life is not as great. This is a great book with lessons on friendship and love. It would be great for older grades when do ...more
Carol Hardesty
Samantha was hands down my favorite American Girl. She lived a life most young girls only dream about; full of elegance and finery. And yet she wasn't stuck up or snobby. Samantha was very kind to people who were different or less fortunate than her. I'm pretty sure it was Samantha that got me interested in the Victorian/Edwardian era. Even though the American Girl franchise has changed a lot since my day, I hope there are still young girls who read and enjoy the stories I grew up with.
Jen
I had always wanted a Samantha doll when I was little but she's since been "retired". Meh, those dolls are still much too overpriced. This set of six books are meant for young readers but are very well written and were enjoyable. At the end of each book, historical tidbits about the early 1900s are included. I'd definitely recommended these older American Girl book sets over the more "modern" American Girl books , which cover banal and inane plots, if you can even call them that.
Anne
These are great for what they are...historical fiction written for young readers. They are relatively well written, and not terribly "dumbed-down" like most books are now. I was expecting more history in the books, but there is a section at the end of each that describes some aspect of history in more detail. I would encourage boys to read these books as well. They are full of plenty of adventure to keep them just as interested as girls. My 9 year old boy loves them!
Rachel
Samantha was the most popular American Girl when I grew up, I think because her story was the most "Princess-like." As an upper class Victorian girl, she grew up in a life of more affluence, priveledge and ruffles than most of the other AGs. :P But Samatha's story is marred by the loss of her parents, the ying and yang of living with Grandmary and Uncle Gard, and, most importantly, the opening of her eyes to the far harsher world that her servant friend, Nellie, lives in.
Casey
I always had lukewarm feelings for ol' Samantha. She was a little prissy. Actually, not true. My friend Erin was prissy, and she had the doll. I guess there's an unfair association there. I do remember that I learned the word "pine" (as in, "I pine for you") from the one where she hangs out in a cabin. Also, I was always pretty sure her aunt with the new-fangled ideas was having premarital relations with her boyfriend, which I thought was pretty cool.
Jen
Samantha was the AG doll that EVERYONE wanted. Her popularity probably stems from being the most fantasy like of all the girls: wealthy, well dressed, orphaned and in the care of her Grandmary. My favorite of her books is Happy Birthday Samantha, where she makes homemade ice cream, only to have it spoiled with salt by her nasty neighbor. It was also my first introduction to petit fours, which I then wanted for my next birthday (of course).
Kimberly Lopez
I highly recommend this book to people that are into victorian times and into happy stories.This book is very interesting it get really into detail that you canm almost feel you are there.The way the author expresses is very good.She really gets to her point and makes the reader feel the tone of the story.This book is also very intersting.This book never gets boring and the more times you read it the more you get into it.
Aubrie
It's about an American girl who has hard times in these stories. Her friend Nellie lives in a bad life. Nellie is working in a factory, but then she meets Samantha when she moved next door to her. Then, she and Samantha get split apart. But, in "Changes for Samantha", Samantha looks for Nellie and asks people where she is and she finds Nellie in an orphanage! Read what else is in this very long, long, long, long, long, book!
Kelly
I wanted so badly to be Samantha when I was young. Let's be real, I still kinda wish I was Samantha.
Sarah Maddaford
Samantha and Kirsten were tied for second as to who was the best American girl. Samantha with her rather cushy life could never live up to the adventures of Felicity and Kirsten, but she had her own personality in a time when girls were starting to be appreciated for that kind of thing. She was friends with one of the maids as well as being pretty outdoorsy for a city girl.
I read these books to my girls. We loved learning about Samantha and what life was like in the early 1900's. When I was young like they are, I always wanted a Samantha doll so it was a little sentimental too. :) I loved the way they explored the lives of both the rich and the poor. These books make it easy to explain difficult subjects such as child labor to my children.
Christine
Aug 02, 2010 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: first to third grade girls
Recommended to Christine by: first grade teacher mrs. remlein
These books were so great. I read these when I was in first grade and they really got me excited about reading. This edition of the book is really beautiful, and the dust jacket is embossed with gold lettering. The stories are interesting, creative and informative. Very good read for girls from first to third grade, I'd say.
  • Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)
  • Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • Rebecca: An American Girl (Rebecca #1-6)
  • Julie: An American Girl (American Girls: Julie, #1-6)
  • The Curse of Ravenscourt: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • Isabel: Taking Wing (Girls of Many Lands, England)
  • The Strange Case of Baby H (American Girl History Mysteries, #18)
  • Welcome to Samantha's World · 1904: Growing Up in America's New Century (American Girls Collection)
  • Meet Samantha: An American Girl (American Girls: Samantha, #1)
  • Spring Pearl: The Last Flower (Girls of Many Lands, China)
  • Cecile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands, France)
  • Kathleen: The Celtic Knot
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls: Samantha (6 books)
  • Meet Samantha: An American Girl (American Girls: Samantha, #1)
  • Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
  • Samantha's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Samantha, #3)
  • Happy Birthday Samantha!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Samantha, #4)
  • Samantha Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Samantha, #5)
  • Changes for Samantha: A Winter Story (American Girls: Samantha, #6)
Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1) Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1) Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection) Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection) Meet Kit: An American Girl 1934 (American Girls: Kit, #1)