Start by marking “Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The Yellow Wall-Paper" and the History of Its Publication and Reception: A Critical Edition and Documentary Casebook (Penn State Series in the History of the Book)” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  17 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Since its publication in 1892, Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The Yellow Wall-paper" has always been recognized as a powerful statement about the victimization of a woman whose neurasthenic condition is completely misdiagnosed, mistreated, and misunderstood, leaving her to face insanity alone, as a prisoner in her own bedroom. Never before, however, has the story itself been ...more
132 pages
Published February 27th 1998 by Penn State University Press

Be the first to ask a question about Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The Yellow Wall-Paper" and the History of Its Publication and Reception

Kaitlyn
Jan 18, 2012 Kaitlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This is absolutely my favorite version of Gilman's well-known short story, "The Yellow Wall-Paper." While, okay, not many people beyond literary academics are going to be interested in the differences between Julie Dock's "authoritative text," as the back cover reads, it also contains her exhaustive research into the history of the piece, and the various twists and turns the piece's framework has undergone from its initial and allegedly scandalous publication to its revival in the 60s (which isn ...more
David
Oct 09, 2007 David rated it it was amazing
The definitive edition of the most important American short story of the nineteenth century. If you read "The Yellow Wall-paper" in school (or elsewhere) the version that you read was probably mangled in important ways. Dditor Julie Bates Dock provides an authoritative text for the story and also investigates (annihilates?) commonly held truisms about the story and its history. Required reading for anyone intersted in American literature.
iam
Mar 06, 2009 iam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite stories, I truly enjoyed reading this "Critical Edition & Documentary Casebook." It put into context a fevered melancholy dream of a book that I had responded to on an emotional level upon my first reading of it as a teenager.

My mother saw a BBC adaptation of this story late one night on PBS. The next morning she informed me that she thought I would LOVE the book. My mother knows me well...
Eduardo
Eduardo marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Lowri Daniels
Lowri Daniels marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Jayson Bucy
Jayson Bucy marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Eryn
Eryn rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2015
Milica Lekic
Milica Lekic marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Brigitta
Brigitta marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
tsweaney
tsweaney marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
PJ Beemer
PJ Beemer rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
Laura Lewis
Laura Lewis marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Nate
Nate rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2014
Juliana Knight
Juliana Knight rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2013
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2012
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2012
Thornee
Thornee rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Krystal
Krystal rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2011
David Mcdowell
David Mcdowell rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2010
Virginie
Virginie marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2010
Greg Manrodt
Greg Manrodt marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2009
Charlotte Perkins Gilman was a prominent American sociologist, novelist, writer of short stories, poetry, and non fiction, and a lecturer for social reform. She was a utopian feminist during a time when her accomplishments were exceptional for women, and she served as a role model for future generations of feminists because of her unorthodox concepts and lifestyle. Her best remembered work today i ...more
More about Charlotte Perkins Gilman...