Start by marking “South by South East (Diamond Brothers, #3)” as Want to Read:
South by South East (Diamond Brothers, #3)

South by South East (Diamond Brothers #3)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,559 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Tim Diamond, the world's worst private detective, is broke - as his much smarter younger brother Nick is quick to remind him. So, when a mysterious stranger offers Tim a wad of money for his overcoat, it seems like a stroke of good luck. But there are worse things in life than being broke.
Published March 5th 2007 by Walker, (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about South by South East, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South by South East

Awa Lowe

I just finished reading the book South By Southeast. I really liked the book. One reason I liked that book because all the mysteries, it was really hard to find out who was causing all the crime, which can be hard sometimes. For instance on pg.79 the Diamond brothers found agent 86 (Rushmore) got killed by Charon on their to the Winter house to find Charon, Rushmore was their only hope of Charon before Charon hurts anyone else. On pg. 140 Nick found out Charlotte (Tim's date) is Charon. She tri
Sean
In the book, South by Southeast by Anthony Horowitz, a 13 year old boy named nick teams up with his brother to uncover the secrets behind a murder that was committed right outside of their apartment! They soon become involved in a world full of assassins, secret spy agencies, and lots of action. The meaning of this book is that through tough times you must always keep strong. The characters in this book where very well written. You will feel the suspense and action they go through. This is a ver ...more
Sabin
South by SouthEast was an amazing book by Anthony Horowitz. It had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I could never predict what Tim was going to get into next. I was really surprised about the ending but if you want to know it you'll have to read it your self. It takes place mostly in England and Tim Diamond is mixed up in MI6 because of a killer named Charon. He hast to travel around and meet lots of people while being hunted while looking for the person trying to kill him. What I'm did ...more
Chase
The main characters in South By Southeast are Tim and Nick Diamond, young detectives working on their own. The adventure they take involves brains and courage. It begins when a spy comes through the front door of their home who is being shot at. The evil Charon and his henchmen are trying to kill a Russian diplomat and they also start tricking the brothers so they can not trust people easily. It is hard for them to find people who want to help them save the diplomat's life. I found this book to ...more
Veronica Michelle F
South by south east is another spectacular work of Anthony Horowitz. I must admit that I am beginning to enjoy the Diamond Brothers series more than any of Horowitz's works. He has kneaded together a dramatic, extravagant plot iced with a coat of a sly, dangerous feel. And not to mention, the book is topped with an enormous amount of humor. I honestly could not stop laughing.

I also enjoyed the characters, and the fact that the author used a minimal amount of them. Tim Diamond is partly my most f
Adama
I JUST FINISHED THIS BOOK SOUTH BY SOUTHEAST BY ANTHONY HOROWITZ. ONE REASON I PARTICULARLY LIKE THIS BOOK WAS BECAUSE IT WAS SO INTERESTING AND FUN TO READ.FOR INSTANCE ON PAGE.137 NICK ELDER BROTHER TIM WAS ABOUT TO GO ON A DATE WITH A GIRL NAME CHARLOTTE BUT NO ONE NEW THAT SHE WAS A MURDERER. SHE LIED TO TIM AND NICK THAT SHE WAS A BOOK WRITER. I SAY THIS BECAUSE CHARLOTTE NAME WAS Really NAMED CHARON. SHARON WAS WANTED IN 5 STATES, BUT NO ON EVER FOUND HER. TILL ONE DAY SOMEONE THAT SPYED ...more
Joshua Stevenson
I found the book South by Southeast very cool. The book was very funny and had some adventures. The book South by Southeast is my favorite book compared to my other good reads books. I would recommend this book to boys and girls. And for ages 13 up.In the book Nick and Tim are at home and a stranger knocks on the door. The stranger comes in starts talking about a person named Charon. He gives Tim $50 for his jacket and leaves. A key was in the jacket so Nick and Tim searches for the stranger to ...more
Mathew White
This was the first Diamond Brothers Mystery for Justin and I to read together, and we and a fantastic time. Having read the Alex Rider series first, I didn't realize what an amazing sense of humor Anthony Horowitz has. We laughed so much with the antics of Tim, Nick's completely clueless brother. The two 13-year-old detectives stumble their way through a murder mystery. Highly recommended to anyone with a good sense of humor!
Mickey
I thought this book was just wonderful, spectacular. It made me laugh so hard even though this was the second time I'd read it.
The main characters are two brothers who solve crimes- well the younger brother does most of the solving anyway.
The older brother is Tim and thinks of himself as smart, a skilled detective and the best- Yeah ok. His younger brother Nick 'helps' him to solve the cases he is 'given' or really just takes on. It ends up being Tim the one who is clueless, getting into trouble
Glenda Yaksich
Tim, owner of the Tim Diamond Detective Agency, has a quick-witted answer for every situation, while his younger brother, Nick, is the brains of the duo. With no money, no food and no clients, they are desperate for a case. A knock on the door opens a week of international espionage, and double dealing. Every time they are close to identifying the murderous Charon, they are shot, stabbed, drugged, put in jail, pushed off a train or almost blown up. Through it all, they never loose their sense of ...more
Moussa Niang
1) I enjoyed the book South by Southeast because the author makes the ending suspenseful. For example in the end the Killer is Charrote Tim's love girl. She tries to kill him and she doesn't get away with it. It was a surprize to me when Tim's best friends betrays him and tries to kill him. The construct was very sophisticated because you would have never suspected that his best friend was trying to kill him.

2) You would like this book if you like a good mystery and suspense because they all thi
Eyad
In this book a regular kid named Nicholas Diamond sneaks out of the plane as his parents head to Australia so when they found out they tell him to stay with his brother, so when a detective shows up at their door they are wanted, so their only hope to get released was to save a Russian leader who is trying to be killed by a person named Charon but that becomes quite difficult as polices are looking for you, so then they go to seek help from an Agent but that didn't go too well. So then they went ...more
Sophie Muller
Loved the word plays but found the story a bit predictable. A great laugh if you're looking for one!
David Sof 2014
This is the 3rd book of the Diamond brother series. Nick and Tim are broke. Tim is the worse private detective, and with Nick's brainy mind they can solve crimes for money. A guy comes into their room and hands them a wad of cash to do a very special case. Will Tim and Nick succeed? Or is this one case they can't solve.

I cannot connect to this book

I gave this star 5 stars because i enjoy comedy and mysteries. Mysteries make you want to be in it. Page by page you read your solving the case also.
Henry
It is a really good book and I like it and I suggest you read it
Jake.j
Murder, mystery and crime all in one, plain awesome
Scott Williams
17b8d476-964a-491f-8cbd-db459603c69b
C.
I remember this as being hilarious, but I suspect it is actually quite lame. Also it is apparently a parody of a Hitchcock film. I must look into that.

Also, I was a true Anthony Horowitz fan. The joys of Grinny, Groosham Grange, and many other wonderful books were mine long before everyone else jumped on the Alex Rider bandwagon.
Kirsti
Is there such a thing as a softboiled detective novel? If so, this is it. It's a fast-paced, pun-filled book about a dimwitted private eye and his levelheaded little brother.
Christiana
This book is the worst book in the world. it is about Tim, the world’s worst private detective, and Nick, his brainy kid brother that have to go on a "scary" adventure to find out who the killer is. and at the end the killer is a girl and nick pushes her into the water and she gets electrocuted and dies... the end.
Neil
Personally I really like this book,
It was a great easy read for when you are still developing your taste in books!
A lot of fun to read and had a good amount of mystery to it not to mention some thrill at that age!
If you are looking for a fun easy read this is a great book!
Rachael
This one surprised me. I couldn't figure out who Charon was at all! Another great Diamond Brothers book by the awesome Anthony Horowitz. Apparently, Horowitz is writing another one so I guess I have to wait for it to come out.
katie
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. So hilariously lame. Also just plain hilarious. Apparently it's a pastiche of some Hitchcock film, but as I wouldn't recognise a Hitchcock film if it poked me in the eye I can't really comment on that.
Emily
It was funny, but not so well written. As a parody it was a little unfocused and jumped all over the place, yanking the readers out of their laughter too abruptly. The timing was off, and the plot wasn't there.
Pip
This was my fave book out of all of them. I loved the opening from Tim. The Corn-field chapter was so funny but so was the whole book! I really do recommend this book if you're in need of a really funny read!
Evelyn Fields
I love this book because it show the funny, sad, realistic truth of things that could happen with two, untrained, brother detectives. I loved every part of this book. Great intro, great middle, and amazing ending.
Mrs. Tomczak
Another great Anthony Horowitz book. Great for those 4th-5th grade boys not necessarily interested in sports. Two brothers work as "Private Detectives"...with a lot of humor along the way.
Rosie Day
Another addition to the funny, fast-paced mystery series about a bumbling detective and his sharp-witted younger brother. If you enjoyed the first two, chances are you'll like this one.
Maxwell
I loved this book, it was funny, action-packed, adventurous, and mysterious. This book must be one of the best things I've read in the last year. I would recommend this book for anyone.
Britt
read it a long time ago, when I was 14 or so, and in Dutch, but I remember that I REALLY loved it, I think I read it three times or so. So funny, and exciting.
  • Framed! (Traces, #1)
  • The Mountain of Adventure and The Ship of Adventure: Two Great Adventures
  • Hurricane Gold (Young Bond, #4)
  • Change-up: Mystery at the World Series (The Sports Beat, #4)
  • Cage of Eden 2
  • The Mystery of the Singing Serpent (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #17)
Anthony Horowitz, OBE is ranked alongside Enid Blyton and Mark A. Cooper as "The most original and best spy-kids authors of the century." (New York Times). Anthony has been writing since the age of eight, and professionally since the age of twenty. In addition to the highly successful Alex Rider books, he is also the writer and creator of award winning detective series Foyle’s War, and more recent ...more
More about Anthony Horowitz...
Stormbreaker (Alex Rider, #1) Scorpia (Alex Rider, #5) Point Blank (Alex Rider, #2) Eagle Strike (Alex Rider, #4) Skeleton Key (Alex Rider, #3)