Start by marking “Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 1

Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 1 (Essential Doctor Strange #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  347 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Stephen Strange is Doctor Strange. But he is no doctor, and least not the kind that would initially come to mind. He is the Master of the Mystic Arts, a sorcerer supreme, a white knight who wields black magic against blacker villains still. Strange is mankind's only hope against the dark otherworldly forces that conspire to destroy the conscious world - forces such as Baro ...more
Published March 11th 2002 by Marvel Comics Group (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 1

Rodolfo
May 10, 2016 Rodolfo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This isn't the sort of volume you should read in one sitting. Yes, Stan Lee's creativity and imagination are legendary. But his gifts are more as a creator/plotter than a writer. Decades later, the stories feel slow, verbose, and repetitive. Still, these are the tales that established Strange and on that basis are worth reading, at least some of the key issues. Prepare, however, to be underwhelmed.
Trevor
Nov 06, 2008 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Strange was what i would call spectacular, especially for the mid 60s, until Stan Lee stopped writing it. The twelve-issue arc featuring the team-up of Baron Mordo and Dormammu was a particular stand out. As soon as Roy Thomas and Dennis O'Neil got their hands on it, it went straight to shit and even the return of Stan Lee didn't help. However, Denny O'Neil's second shot at Dr. Strange was much more pleasant and the volume ends on a high note.
Ben Mcfarlane
Kinda disappointed, for some reason I thought the story should be as compelling as something written recently like Kick Ass. Visually though, it was amazing, especially the Ditko issues.
Keith Davis
I am going to commit the comic book equivalent of sacrilege and admit that I find Stan Lee almost unreadable. No one needs to be reminded of all the characters Lee co-created and the massive impact they have had on popular culture. Having acknowledged that, I need to point out that Lee wrote some of the clunkiest dialogue in comics.

Here is an example from Doctor Strange's enemy the Dread Dormammu. "When last we fought, I pledged my word to attack Dr. Strange no more!! But I am not so doing! It i
Rich Meyer
Mar 11, 2012 Rich Meyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
This is one of the better Marvel Essential volumes. In it, you've got one of Marvel's admittedly second-tier characters, or at least that's the way he's been used for most of his existence. Dr. Strange had a moderate level of popularity, but really never made it outside the comic book, with the exception of a TV movie back when super-heroes were TV fodder in the late seventies.

This book really puts you right into the action with this character, who is battling mystical beings almost from issue
Helmut
Bei den haarigen Hoden von Halsaggoth!

Er ist wirklich seltsam, der Doctor Strange. Heraus aus dem Körper, ein bisschen rumgeflogen und wieder hinein in den Körper; das ist so das Schema, nach dem diese Geschichten gestrickt sind. Ein kruder Mischmasch aus babylonischen, tibetischen und südostasiatischen Mythen, gewürzt mit ein bisschen Lovecraft und einem guten Schuss LSD, lassen diese Marvel-Version des älteren DC-Charakters Dr Fate meist sehr willkürlich wirken.

Steve Ditko macht aber selbst au
The_Mad_Swede
This b/w volume collects Strange Tales # 110–111 and 114–168, and includes the full original Stan Lee and Steve Ditko run (plus a lot more), introducing not only Marvel's very own Master of the Mystic Arts, his teacher the Ancient One and faithful servant Wong, but also a host of enemies that have been important to the character ever since; including the Nightmare, Baron Mordo and Dread Dormammu; not to mention entities such as Eternity and the Living Tribunal which has become essential in Marve ...more
Ryan
Oh wow.

When people think about Ditko, and especially about Ditko and Lee, Spider-Man is the first thing that comes to mind, which is quite understandable. However, having read their work on both that series and Dr. Strange, I would have to say that the latter is the better of the two series.

The stories that span this series are truly epic in scale; while many Marvel comics of the same era still wrapped up their storylines in one, maybe two issues, the ones here go on for a dozen issues at a time
Effie
May 22, 2016 Effie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doctor Strange is one of the most interesting characters of all times.

Fighting with creatures beyond time and space, in differect dimentions, he always succeeds to win a little more time of peace on earth and keeping humanity safe from creatures we could never imagine even in our worse nightmares.
Dan
Sep 19, 2015 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While it was interesting to see where the character of Dr Strange originated, and to see how he gradually took over "Strange Tales", on both the cover and inside the issues, I found the few all-purpose spells and the constant reliance on "reverting to one's ectoplasmatic form!" to solve encountered problems tedious. The final story arc was excellent, though, in both the scope of the story, and the artwork. You just need to slog through a lot of repetitive BS to get to that point...
Dolores
Jan 08, 2015 Dolores rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Re-reading my Dr. Strange collection. But, I really wish these Essentials books were in color!
Andy
Feb 23, 2009 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the risk of blasphemy, it's in Doctor Strange, not Spider-Man, where we see the full range of artist Steve Ditko's talents. The other-worldliness of Doctor Strange is still jaw-dropping nearly 50 years after the original issues. Unfortunately the stories themselves have not aged well. Plus the last 26 issues of Strange Tales collected in this volume were not drawn by Ditko, but by a revolving door of other artists lacking his imagination and vision. Still a good volume for anyone interested i ...more
Rick
Nov 02, 2007 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
If you enjoy surrealism in comics, you could do a lot worse than the Essential Doctor Strange Vol. 1. The Marvel Essentials are phone book sized black and white collections of classic Marvel works. For those of us over thirty who remember reading the Marvel comics as kids, these books are indeed essentials. With some of Steve Ditko’s finest artwork and Stan Lee’s far out writing, The Essential Doctor Strange Vol. 1 was a enjoyable trip through the fantastic.
Justin Deveau
Jul 12, 2016 Justin Deveau is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Strange Tales #110-111, #114-168
Adrienne
Mar 31, 2016 Adrienne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies, graphic, 2016
As fantastic as Ditko's art is--truly, fantastic--I struggled through this volume over the course of more than a year because I couldn't stand actually reading more than a single issue at a time. Formulaic plots are one thing, and in all fairness these are stories of a different era, but (Stan, I'm sorry, I still love you!) the dialogue is basically unreadable. If I didn't like Dr. Strange himself so much I wouldn't have even tried.
Michael Irenski
May 11, 2007 Michael Irenski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comicbooks
From Stan Lee and Steve Ditko's first few issues with Dr. Strange to his later run in Strange Tales it never misses a beat. While some issues are better than others, possibily due to the fill in writers, the original Stan Lee plots are amazing. Prior to reading this I had no real knowledge of Dr. Strange besides his guest appearances, now I am going to find all I can on Dr. Strange!
Stephen
Now this, to me, was a good use of Ditko's art. I never was crazy about his minimalist way of depicting regular teenagers in Spider-man. But give him some floating eyeballs, alternative dimensions with fuzzy exploding suns in the background, and I'm in.
Erik
Another Stan Lee story that's full of great ideas but is still a chore to get through. Ditko's art looks great. Not enough to make me want to read more Dr. Strange.
Shannon Appelcline
A mixture of the truly innovative and the dull. The continuing plots were amazing for their time, but other than the length, not so stand-out.
Mariko
Mar 16, 2016 Mariko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very 1960-1970s vibe.
Chris
Jun 28, 2008 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Really shows you how comic books have become far more sophisticated - good fun though.
Debra
Jun 25, 2013 Debra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I really want to punch baron mordo in the face.
Brian Engelhardt
Aug 10, 2007 Brian Engelhardt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A guilty pleasure.
Cole Egger
Cole Egger rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Mckenzie
Mckenzie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Kim Sawka
Kim Sawka marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Talhaman
Talhaman rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
william t. robbins
william t. robbins marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Ricardo Lezama
Ricardo Lezama rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 5: Magic Bus
  • Essential Tomb of Dracula, Vol. 1
  • Captain Britain
  • Creepy Archives, Vol. 2
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) is an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, and many other characters, introducing complex,
More about Stan Lee...

Essential Doctor Strange (4 books)
  • Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 2