Start by marking “The Last Days of Innocence: America at War 1917-1918” as Want to Read:
The Last Days of Innocence: America at War 1917-1918

The Last Days of Innocence: America at War 1917-1918

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In the Spring of 1917, America went to war with an innocent determination to re-make the world. When the smoke lifted in November 1918, the nation emerged with its sense of purpose shattered, its certainties shaken, and with a new and unwelcome self-knowledge. Seventy-five thousand American soldiers were dead, and back home a Pandora's box of suspicions and surveillance ha ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published December 1st 1999 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Days of Innocence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Days of Innocence

Jason
Jan 28, 2010 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A meaty book with a narrow focus. You will learn a lot about America in WWI. The book adroitly interlaces chapters between Americans on the battlefield and Americans in the Homeland. It describes American political and cultural proclivities during the first few years of the war, while we as a nation were observing, and the Allies were engaged. It then discusses our entry into the war--mobilization, training, and fielding of Pershing's Army. It details the horror of battlefield maneuver. And it a ...more
'Aussie Rick'
Apr 13, 2014 'Aussie Rick' rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-military, ww1

The Last Days of Innocence: America at War, 1917-1918 offers the reader a decent and balanced view of America's role and involvment in the Great War. If you wanted one book that would provide you with a detailed account of the United States' role in the Great War this is it. The author's cover every aspect of America's involvement in WW1.

This book covers everything from the gradual decline in civil liberties, the increase in Govt. agencies power over the individual, the war industry the trainin
Eric
Feb 10, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
America's preparation, participation, and the aftermath of both, in World War I. (I saw here the glimmerings of what I would later see as huge problems in the way America goes about its war-fighting mission and preparation.)
Temoca
Feb 12, 2012 Temoca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to supplement my WW1 unit and found a ton of material to add to my lessons. I think I had just about every other page sticky noted! Of course there were some pieces I skimmed over once I realized I would not be adding it to my curriculum, but those pieces were very few actually.

I wish I read this during the summer when I had more time to dig into it more. I might pick it back up and do just that this summer. If you like historical text, this is a great read for you.
Gretchen
Jan 20, 2008 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
social political history of making of the US military machine through the world war 1 MOBILIZATION. sad and illuminating. organization and power. a little longwinded in the american battle scenarios. got it. "American Expeditionary Forces" didnt know what they were doing but were very brave. the book's main point of intertwining the politics of the homefront is relentlessly argued to the benefit of the history of war in the twentieth century.
Mike
Oct 25, 2007 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in America's role in WWI
Great study of America in World War I. It discusses the run up to the war, the mobilization of the military and their subsequent baptism by fire in France, effects on the home front, and the depressing aftermath of it all. It will make you realize the US had little to gain by entering this conflict.
Dogfood411
Feb 10, 2014 Dogfood411 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: navy-library
This was a very interesting look at the effect of the war on most of the US. It was easy to follow, covered enough of the other players to give it a broad view, and peppered in several interesting stories.
Bxlilshygirl
Bxlilshygirl is currently reading it
May 20, 2016
Daniel Ford
Daniel Ford rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Charles E. Brayton
Charles E. Brayton rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
David Dietz
David Dietz marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Tom Batalias
Tom Batalias marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Lynda Weaver
Lynda Weaver marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
HJChadd
HJChadd marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Beth Luebbe
Beth Luebbe marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Matthew Stevenson
Matthew Stevenson rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Conor Russell
Conor Russell rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Sfrith
Sfrith rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Deb Murray
Deb Murray marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Keri Collinsworth
Keri Collinsworth marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Kim Staley
Kim Staley marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Thomas Fletcher
Thomas Fletcher marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Ardita Grunwald
Ardita Grunwald marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Jerald Gross
Jerald Gross marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Crystal Chatham Housman
Crystal Chatham Housman marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Dora
Dora marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015