Maelstrom

Maelstrom (The Twins of Petaybee #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  829 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In Changelings, bestselling authors Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough returned to the sentient planet Petaybee with a story of growth and transformation in the face of deadly new threats. The telepathic, shapeshifting twins Murel and Ronan found that Petaybee had plans for them as well. Now those plans begin to bear fruit with fresh possibilities . . . and dange...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2006)

Al

SUMMARY:
The Shongili twins, Ronan and Murel, accompany their friend Marmie on her luxury space craft Piaf to rescue their friend Ke-ola's family from an uninhabitable planet. They arrive to find the planet in the midst of a terrible meteor storm and when they go down to the surface find that the survivors have taken refuge under ground. Ronan and Murel change into seal form and find the survivors and their totem animals or aumakua, the giant turtles, or Honu, and the sharks. Back on Petaybee the

Brian Schiebout
Maelstrom by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough is the second book of the Twins of Petaybee series set in the Petaybee universe. After I finished this book the first thing that it made me think of is how much darker it is than the first one. Not dark as in heroes are dying but dark as in everything seems to be going wrong for the protagonists. Once again the main characters are the selkie children Mural and Ronan Shongili. The two of them decide to go with Marmie on a rescue mission fo...more
Pepper Thorn
Maelstrom is where this series really hits its stride. I love the concept of a sentient planet that the human residents can "speak" to and Ms. McCaffrey and Ms. Scharborough do it justice. They bring together a truly diverse cast of characters that are fun and interesting. What the story lacks in focus and tightness of plot it makes up for in sheer creativity and exuberance.

My main problem with the book was its voice. Yes, this is Ann McCaffrey and it has her characteristic tone and timber to t...more
Lychee
Sep 19, 2008 Lychee rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: young adults, people interested in environmentalism and animal rights
Shelves: sf-f
I like what they're doing with this series. Easy to read, even a little hard to put down when I'm reading right before bed. Each books expands the diversity of human cultures and animal lifeforms whose competing needs have to be addressed in order for there to be success. Not the best prose but definitely successful storytelling and the concepts grab my heart and leave an imprint on me after having read these books and that's a pretty high compliment. Maybe I'm having a very idiosyncratic respon...more
Kris
The second book in the Twins of Petaybee trilogy. I enjoyed this one also. The twins are aboard a spaceship headed for the planet where Ke-ola's people are suffering. They discover that the planet is being bombarded with meteors and that the settlements are in danger. Against the wishes of Intergal (the evil company that has a lot of power in this universe), their ship rescues the survivors and their totem animals, the Honu (sea turtles) and the Mano (sharks). As might be expected, when released...more
Donald
This is such a bad book, and coming from Mdme. McCaffrey, one of the greats of sci-fi/fantasy, it's incredibly disappointing. I'm hoping it was maybe just her idea and Ms. Scarborough picked it up, dropped it, brushed it off, dropped it again, kicked it around for a bit, then stumbled off with it. The idea is an okay one, but the execution is just horrendous, with most of the book taken up by the characters talking about what they're going to do, what they did do, and what they might have done i...more
Alysha DeShaé
My full review is here on my personal website. I'll post a few excerpts here, though:

3.0 out of 5.0 stars

The very worst thing about this book is that the storytelling is getting worse with each book.

The very best thing about this book is that, assuming you liked the previous books, it’s still readable enough to enjoy the new characters, even if they are a little unusual.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Then entire time I'm reading this story I'm thinking of the Hawaiians and Polynesians. I don't know how much research Ms. McCaffrey put into those cultures, but now this is what I'm thinking. I liked the sacred tortoise. The shark is pretty amazing too. I like it. Then again, I do like sharks. I've scuba dived with them around, not on purpose, they just show up. This was another fun read abet a bit heavy handed with it's environmental and social commentary.
Sharon
The train of this story is starting to get away from me after so many volumes, but I am a McCaffrey addict and will pick up and enjoy anything with her name on it. This time through, I thought there were too many story threads, and several of the plot points were reminiscent of the Acorna series (child heroes, shape-shifting aliens, mind-talking animals).
Kate Millin
I always find the Anne McCaffrey books very difficult to put down, and this was no exception. It is the second in the series.

The selkie twins help to rescue people and their bonded animals from a planet damaged by meteors, resettlement on Petaybee does not go smoothly and the actions annoys the planetary police.
Fredrick Danysh
Growing up on the sentient planet Petabyee, half selkie twins Murel and Ronan embargk on a missioto rescue the lifeforms of a dying planet that is under Interglactic Company control setting off charges of smuggling against the pro-Petabyee faction.
Kendra
I get the feeling the took this trilogy and broke one book into 3 books. Literally picks up right at the end of the other. Enjoyed the adding of the aliens and sacred telepathic critters to Petaybe, and another quickie fun read.
Lisa
Oct 09, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: McCaffrey Scarborough fans, fantasy readers, animal lovers
Recommended to Lisa by: found it myself - I love McCaffrey's books!
Great follow up to Changelings - even better I think. Continued good development of twins, interesting follow up with friend Keola on his planet, and cliffhanger ending back on Petaybee signalling a good sequel to come- soon I hope!
Teresa
It was OK. I liked the first trilogy based on the same world better then this trilogy. I do plan on finishing the series, just because I want to know what happens and this book leave you hanging.
JoyfulK
Jun 05, 2011 JoyfulK rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: diehard Petaybee fans who can't stand not to know the ending---and no one else
I've reviewed this trilogy elsewhere: see Deluge .
Luisa
It got a little bit less fun, compared to the first trilogy. Well, I still adore Anne McCaffrey and I believe that her books are a fun read, this one was too, just not in my top books.
Elsi
The Petaybee (short for PTB or Powers That Be) series is one of the best to come from Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough. I bought the Kindle edition from Amazon.com.
Marissa
Good summer read-- quick and enjoyable. Petaybee really fascinates me. It is great to revisit the planet and to follow the twins' adventures.
The second book in a series is always awkward, and this is no exception. Still, it was a lot better than many of the books I have read.
Sara
Interesting, fast-moving. Make sure you have the 3rd on handy though, because it doesn't resolve, and continues right into #3!
Amanda
Wow, what an ending. A real cliff hanger. I'm glad I have #3 in my library bag :).
Nadine/Dina Bourne
Gotta find book 3 the first 2 were good. but it ended on a cliff-hanger
Red Mcswiggan
This was a fun book to read with my pre-teen daughter
Theresa
how the twins struggled to save their home world
Dennis
Didn't finish. Not my bag.
Rebecca
better than the first one
Mary
Excellent!
Oct 31, 2009 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Fantasy
  • The Ship Avenged
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • The People of Pern
  • Zandru's Forge (Darkover, #4; Clingfire, #2)
  • Deliverer (Foreigner, #9)
  • Outward Bound
  • Flight In Yiktor (Moon Magic, #3)
  • Charmed Destinies
  • Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)
  • Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)
  • Trouble Magnet (Pip & Flinx #12)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fifth Annual Collection
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two...more
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)