Start by marking “Changelings” as Want to Read:
Changelings

Changelings (Twins of Petaybee #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,926 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
With three acclaimed novels–Powers That Be, Power Lines, and Power Play–bestselling authors Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough launched a vibrant new science-fiction saga that told the story of a sentient planet, Petaybee, and the humans who fought to protect it from the rapacious designs of an all-powerful interstellar corporation determined to exploit the icy w ...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Del Rey (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Changelings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changelings

Linden
May 18, 2009 Linden rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Linden by: The authors' past work
Changelings is the result of a collaboration: Anne McCaffrey (of The Dragonriders of Pern fame) and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (The Healer's War). Although both are fine writers, I found this book less than the talents of either, rather than even just the sum of their abilities.

The story takes place on a sentient planet, Petaybee, as seen through the eyes of the Shongilis, one of the many immigrant families that combine Inuit and Irish heritage. The children of Sean and Yana Shongili are twins,
Maurice Jr.
Feb 28, 2012 Maurice Jr. rated it really liked it
It's always good to visit a place you enjoyed for the second time. You anticipate more of the same and hope you won't be disappointed.

After reading the Petaybee series, I was thrilled to learn that there was also a Twins Of Petaybee series, and having read the first installment, I was not disappointed. The sentient planet now has two more unique residents, Ronan and Murel Shongili, the selkie twins. They and their father Sean can transform into seals when in water, and they use their gifts to ex
Brian Schiebout
Dec 10, 2013 Brian Schiebout rated it it was ok
Changlings by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough is the first book in the Twins of Petaybee series set in the Petaybee universe. The main characters in this story are the twin children of Yanaba and Sean Shongili who are the co-governors of Petaybee. This story details their childhood as it also deal with the continual growth of the entity known as Petaybee. While reading this book I found myself thinking that it felt even less like a McCaffrey story than any of the other collaboration ...more
Al
Feb 07, 2013 Al rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

SUMMARY:
In Powers That Be, Power Lines And Power Play Bestselling Authors Anne Mccaffrey And Elizabeth Ann Scarborough Told The Story Of A Sentient Planet, Petaybee. In Changelings, The First Of A New Series Of Novels, They Return To Petaybee. Ronan Born For Water Shongili And Murel Monster Slayer Shongili Are The Twin Son And Daughter Of Yana Maddock And Sean Shongili. Born On Petyabee, Their Destiny Is Deeply Intertwined With The Sentient Planet That Is Their Home. For Ronan And Murel Are More

Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jan 18, 2012 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Powers That Be
This trilogy is really one story split up in to three books. It was great on world-building, as good sci-fi must be, with an OK plot and all the characters we came to know and love in the previous trilogy, beginning with Powers That Be. I preferred the first trilogy to this one.

The protagonists are a pair of telepathic shape-changing ten-year-old twins (selkies of a sort) and their river otter friend. It was a bit too Lassie-ish for me in that Timmy falls into the well far too many times. I rais
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of Anne McCaffrey since my youth when I read the Pern novels. Like most of her books, Changelings is character driven. Heck, even the planet Petaybee is a character. All of the characters are rich and jump right off of the page. I really liked the main characters of Ronan and Mural. Their power to shape-shift is pretty cool. As for the evil Professor Mabo, all she wants is knowledge.

Unfortunately, she is willing to break the rules society has set up to obtain the data she need
Kris
Jul 03, 2009 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-choice
It would help to have read the original Petaybee books before reading this. I have read them, but long enough ago that I wished I remembered some of the details better. That said, I enjoyed this new series from McCaffrey and Scarborough. It begins with the birth of twins, part of a new generation on the sentient planet Petaybee. They are selkies, who can change into seals in the water, like their father. As they get older, they long to escape the restrictions put on them by their parents to prot ...more
Jen
May 05, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Selkies, otters, evil scientists
This book is slightly embarrassing to be seen reading on the subway.

Ok, I liked the book, but I like everything remotely fantastical, so that's not much of an endorsement. :P

Can we just discuss the cover for a sec?

It doesn't make ANY sense! Are those supposed to be the twins on the front? They don't match the descriptions, and the twins are children for the entire book. So it must be their parents. But why would you put the parents on the cover when the book is entirely about the twins?!! And wh
Marissa
May 13, 2011 Marissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
McCaffrey & Scarborough return to the world of their Petaybee Series with this first book in a new series. Picking up where the first series left off, the book focuses on the early life of the twins born to Sean and Yanaba. The twins begin to learn about their sentient planet and their ability to shapeshift into seals, but when they become overly curious at the age of 8, they run into trouble with curious scientists poking about. In the meantime, Petaybee itself has decided to work on a new ...more
Rebecca
Mar 01, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
Its been a long time since i read the original Petaybee series. You dont really eed to have read them to read this book. It explains stuff enough for you.

I ddnt think this was bad book, I didnt think it was spectacular either. When you met the twins school mates and the Ke-ola kid when he described about where his people were originally from I figured out pretty quick what would be happening there.

But i do love to read about the various worlds AM has created characters in so this was a nice read
Alysha DeShaé
My full review is here on my personal website. I'll post a few excerpts here, though:

3.5 out of 5.0 stars

The very worst thing about this book is that, while it continues a decent story, it doesn’t quite match the awesomeness that is the original trilogy.

The very best thing about this book is that is does continue a really entertaining story with some new twists and interesting groups of people.
Trish
Oct 26, 2011 Trish rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
These were two of my favorite writers as a teenager and young adult, so I was very interested to catch up on some of the works I missed over the last few years. I don’t remember a lot of the details of the series preceding this one, but enough came back to me as I was reading to be able to follow along.

I enjoyed the book overall and continue to appreciate their writing style, although I do think this particular book would appeal more to a younger audience, especially as the story focuses on the
Greg
Mar 08, 2011 Greg rated it did not like it
I got about halfway through this book and I kind of forgot what it was about and then I realized I didn't care to much what it was about and walked away. very very mildy interesting world but not sci fi enough for me to really be drawn in. It really became just a book with a story about some people who did things and oh yeah they were special because of this and then they did some more things. just not that good no single plot line to draw the story along. not recommended.
Cary Spratt
Feb 24, 2013 Cary Spratt rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
This continuation of the Petaybee series is decent. My main complaint is that it seems to have been written for a younger audience than the original series, which, okay, the main characters are preteens, but I would have enjoyed it more if it had been written more like the original trilogy. After all, it references that series quite a bit so why write it for a younger audience when the other isn't?
Paul
Feb 17, 2012 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Recommended to Paul by: Dust Jacket
This book sounded like a nice change of pace: space travel, planet-forming, and people changing into seals. Unfortunately I do not feel that the author(s) did a good job with this, or perhaps I wasn't their target audience. The book was not well-written, and I now suppose it was meant for children.

On the plus side, the concept of a planet with consciousness was interesting. On the minus side, the dialogue, reactions, and emotions portrayed were shallow and unrealistic.
Kate Millin
Aug 16, 2009 Kate Millin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anne McCaffrey is another author I struggle to put down once started, so this has been a reading Sunday to round off my holiday.

This is a new Petaybee book about the Selkie twin children of Yana Maddock and selkie Sean Shongli and how they link with otters and other parts of the sentient planet. I loved Sky the otter.
Crystal
Oct 29, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Crystal by: Matthew
Shelves: science-fiction
This was a good read. It was interesting to see a sentient planet. That the village could communicate with the planet was neat too. The selkie twins, Otter, Ke-loa, and the others are all wonderful characters to get to know. I will have to find the other books in this series and finish the story!
Maya
Jan 17, 2016 Maya rated it liked it
Honestly, the third star is out of loyalty to Anne McCaffrey, whom I know wasn't responsible for the mediocrity.
I like the world of Petaybee, but this book grated so much on my nerves! The endless repetitions of everything's name, and the general feeling of things being dumbed down... It was just super annoying.
Marty
Apr 02, 2011 Marty rated it did not like it
first off you have to be tolerant of the idea of shapechangers. I can be if there is enough else of interest in it. this seems like a disney fairy tale. not realistic enough to be interesting or moving. It seems to me that I would have liked this book when I was undr 12 but by now both my experiences and my reading background make it pedesterian.
Amanda
Aug 14, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
It's mediocre and predictable. I haven't read any of the other Petaybee stories yet - maybe they'll get better.

I liked the idea of a sentient planet but all the terraformed planets in this future reality are flat, unidimensional places - an ice planet, a desert planet, a jungle planet - seriously? Is it impossible to terraform a planet that has many features, like Earth?
Pepper Thorn
Jan 15, 2012 Pepper Thorn rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first Petaybe series and was looking forward to this one. I knew going in that this was the first book in a trilogy but usually it's the second one that lags. The characters and situations are intriguing but it feels like the running start before really jumping into the story. This book was entertaining in its own right but still felt like set up for the rest of the series.
Susan
Aug 16, 2007 Susan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Anne McCaffrey
Shelves: sci-fi
I love reading Anne McCaffrey. This one blends perfectly her mix of science and fantasy (my preference). Sometimes it has some dialogue that is a little too juvenile for my taste, but what the heck! If you read the first book about Petaybee, you'll want to read this one, too! My next step is the sequel.
Emily
Jan 06, 2008 Emily rated it did not like it
Not that well developed, but an okay audiobook if you like sci fi. I have not read her other Petaybee books, so you might like it better if you had already read them. I found it hard to understand the leaps in plot that were made and there did not seem to have a strong overarching story line. Kids might enjoy this more because of the characters are very young.
Natalia Loyola
Feb 01, 2008 Natalia Loyola rated it it was ok
I hold up novels linked to Anne McCaffrey to a pretty high standard, and this one didn't meet it. However, it seems like a decent book, with good twists. Just beware, this is the start of a series, and the ending leaves something to be desired as a stand-alone book. The sentiment "it was ok" is on the dot.
Yvonne
Jun 17, 2008 Yvonne rated it it was ok
First off, take a look at that cover.... looks to me like those are two adults on that book wouldn't you say? Well the book is about two children. It was still an interesting book/concept, but it was on a different level than I was expecting since I thought it was about two adult siblings, not two pre-teen children.
Lindsay
Sep 11, 2011 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I read this book and it's sequel in rapid succession in Spanish class (yes, I admit I should have been listening to pronunciations instead, but it was worth it...also it was a couple of years ago, so we can just forget aaallll about that...) and I couldn't get enough. This was a great novel by one of my favorite authors, and I highly recommend it.
Anita
Aug 23, 2013 Anita rated it it was ok
Meh. I doh't think I'll read the rest of the series. It had some interesting moments and the way the author depicted how an otter would think and speak was adorable. The story as a whole just didn't capture me.
Dec 22, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
These 10-yr-olds think and act like 13-14 year olds. While this is partially explained in the introduction, it is not emphasized enough to make the twins' age believable. Beyond that, this is a good book that McCaffrey and Scarborough fans will enjoy.
Luisa
Jun 21, 2013 Luisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt that there were some mistakes when comparing to the last book, and too little of Petaybee for my liking, but the end was interesting and I loved reading about the Twins new friends and different cultures. Fun, light read.
Lychee
Sep 04, 2008 Lychee rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-f
I'm a big fan of the Petaybee (Powers That Be) series. I was initially surprised at encountering a series that takes on the Gaia hypothesis, albeit in the upbeat McCaffrey (and Scarborough) way. Was utterly charmed by this new offering.
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral, #3)
  • Unbreakable (Shadow Destroyers, #1)
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The Kiribati Test
  • The People of Pern
  • Midnight in Madrid (The Russian Trilogy #2)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Unicorn Girl: The Illustrated Adventures
  • Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #1)
  • King's Property (Queen of the Orcs, #1)
  • Primitive
  • Hostage (Navy Justice #2)
  • For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #5)
  • A Wizard in the Way (Rogue Wizard, #9)
  • Moonstone (Unbidden Magic, #1)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Twins of Petaybee (3 books)
  • Maelstrom