Start by marking “Living Cheaply with Style: Live Better and Spend Less” as Want to Read:
Living Cheaply with Style: Live Better and Spend Less

Living Cheaply with Style: Live Better and Spend Less

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This fun and practical guide offers a huge variety of tips on living for less "with grace, humor, (and) imagination."The author covers a wide range of topics including food, housing, transportation, clothes, and entertainment.
Published February 1st 1993 by Ronin Publishing (CA) (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Living Cheaply with Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Cheaply with Style

Holly McIntyre
This is a great book! It has everything one needs to think about when striving to live frugally all wrapped up in one well-written and pleasingly designed package.

However, the 1992 edition which I read is somewhat quaintly antiquated -- no discussion of the internet, or freecycle, or craigslist. Nevertheless, the principles remain sound -- we just don't have to depend on bulletin boards in laundromats anymore.

This is a great place for the aspiring frugilista to begin or an excellent summary for
Carla
I read this book way back in the early 70s, when I was a "starving (college) student." It was full of great advice for getting by in life on almost nothing .... which was what I needed to do at that time. I still have my battered paperback copy, complete with the taped-together spine and my notes and underlining. Reading it now is a real trip back in time .... a great reminder of my "hippie days." Of course, most of the information is quite dated, but some of the basic concepts still apply today ...more
Mark
Now that some fell beast slouches proudly again toward Wall Street, this book could come in mighty handily. For those who like (and deserve to be) living the good life but are turning down at the pocket.Sure prices have jumped in the years intervening its publication, inflation and all, but the advice with in is as good as gold. Now I just need to hook myself up with a new copy! Highly recommended.
Jim
May 07, 2009 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My family and friends
Shelves: reference
I was a bagboy at the prestious Lunds Food Mart in Edina in my senior year of HS. There was this box of books and this one caught my fancy. After reading about how hard it would be to 'Live Poor with Style' I thought continuing school would be a lot easier. :o)
Amber
This has a few interesting ideas about saving money, but it's mostly stuff you already know.
Lois
Bought this back in my student-hippie days. Reminder of a certain time and place....
Jonathon Ok
Jonathon Ok marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Christina Aguilar
Christina Aguilar marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Pep
Pep marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Josh Tegart
Josh Tegart marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Jack Handey
Jack Handey marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Domo
Domo marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Arda Çehreli
Arda Çehreli marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Rachel Kanouse
Rachel Kanouse marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Aych
Aych marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Gillian Anderson
Gillian Anderson marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Boris Simba
Boris Simba marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Berube1954gmail.com
Berube1954gmail.com marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ecotopia Ecotopia Emerging Ecology: A Pocket Guide Ecotopia: A Novel Humphrey the Wayward Whale