Start by marking “A South Indian Journey: The Smile of Murugan” as Want to Read:
A South Indian Journey: The Smile of Murugan

A South Indian Journey: The Smile of Murugan

Michael Wood's A South Indian Journey is a brilliantly written travel narrative of personal and geographical exploration.

Inspired by a temple astrologer (who had accurately predicted his marriage and the birth of his two daughters), the writer and broadcaster Michael Wood travelled on a magical journey through south-east India. A South Indian Journey is a magical mixture o
Published August 2nd 2007 by Penguin (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A South Indian Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A South Indian Journey

Sairam Krishnan
Mar 31, 2016 Sairam Krishnan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful, heartfelt travelogue of the Tamil south that I'm very glad I read. Found it (as usual) in the ground floor travel section of Blossom's in Bangalore, and bought it immediately, even if only to figure out how an outsider would look at my culture. Enjoyed it so very much that I'm sure to read it again, and might even follow his trajectory around my homeland.

Very many books have been described as labours of love, but seldom is that phrase actually deserved. This book, though, is exactly
Rajesh
Jan 24, 2017 Rajesh rated it it was amazing
I'd read this book any day of the week. Wonderful, descriptive travelogue.
Giridharan Karunagaran
I am an Indian. And an Indian from Tamil Nadu. Irony of Ironies that I should come to learn about and to love my heritage from a foreigner. It is one of the most brilliant books in the world. The story of Micheal's Journey through the southern heartland combined with his masterful writing, transported me into a magical world; a fantasy world. That the world was real and was a part of me, gave the book an epiphanic tone. A must read for all Indians, not to mention Tamils.
I had no idea that there
K. Ravichandar
Sep 09, 2014 K. Ravichandar rated it really liked it
This book is probably the most comprehensive guide to present-day Tamil Nadu written by an outsider and one of the best by anyone. Michael Wood touches on nearly every aspect of Tamil civilization be it religion, spirituality, history, day-to-day life or politics. From the frank and heartfelt narrative, it is evident how deeply he is attached to the Tamil country and its people. Wood has an eye for detail - he does not miss out on even the minutest details such as the weighing machine that used ...more
Susan Oleksiw
Feb 01, 2013 Susan Oleksiw rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-books, memoir
I picked up this book without remembering who Michael Wood is, but as soon as I did his voice came through loud and clear.

This is a very detailed and authentic trip around holy sites in South India taken by Michael Wood and an Indian woman who has become a friend over the years. A holy man tells him to make a pilgrimage to certain sites and eventually he does. The virtue of this travel book is that Wood takes you on a journey that Indians take often, sometimes annually, and gives you the experie
Brian
Aug 01, 2011 Brian added it
Yet another Michael Wood this year and once again I can't help but feel that he had more fun writing it than I had reading it. Picked this up in Southwark a few weeks ago while on a work trip. It made splendid reading on the plane, but once I got home a slight disappointment set in. I'm sure the temples were lovely and I really can't fault Wood's description, but still it was all a bit "wish you were here.

All that aside, you can't fault his enthusiasm and passion. It's infectious. Not sure when
Subramanian Sankaran
Jan 04, 2014 Subramanian Sankaran rated it it was amazing
Simple travelogue on Michael's pilgrimage through some of the best temples in Tamil Nadu. His eye for details is amazing as he captures the rituals, the culture and traditions of South India in a lucid style.
Sathish
Apr 05, 2016 Sathish rated it liked it
good travelogue... could have been done better with precise notation.. may be being a South Indian I expected many more things.. but a lovable read...
Vinu
Vinu rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Allan
Allan rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2012
John Furniss
John Furniss rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Robert Edward John Adams
Robert Edward John Adams rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2017
Sakthi
Sakthi rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Usha
Usha rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Krishna Sruthi Srivalsan
Krishna Sruthi Srivalsan rated it really liked it
May 30, 2013
umang
umang rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Vicky Unwin
Vicky Unwin rated it really liked it
May 27, 2015
Vinod Ni
Vinod Ni rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Memoriesandsuch
Memoriesandsuch rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2015
Andreas
Andreas rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Rachana Kedilaya
Rachana Kedilaya rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Vijendran
Vijendran rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
kesavan krishnan
kesavan krishnan rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Sid
Sid rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Jey
Jey rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Archana Chari
Archana Chari rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Sundeep Majumdar
Sundeep Majumdar rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Lesley Cranwell
Lesley Cranwell rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Deepak
Deepak rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Librarian Note: There's more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael David Wood is an English historian & broadcaster. He's presented numerous tv documentary series. Library of Congress lists him as Michael Wood.

Wood was born in Moston, Manchester, & educated at Manchester Grammar School & Oriel College, Oxford. His specia
More about Michael Wood...