Start by marking “Voyagers (Voyagers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Voyagers (Voyagers, #1)

Voyagers (Voyagers #1)

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  763 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Ex-astronaut turned physicist Keith Stoner knows the signals picked up at his space station are not random. The message is heading straight for Earth, and Stoner will do anything to be the first man to confront the enigma, even if he loses his only love.
Published August 15th 1989 by Tor Books (first published August 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Voyagers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voyagers

Andria
Sep 07, 2011 Andria rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
Minor spoilers below, but not enough to hide the entire review.

***********

When I first read this in high school, I enjoyed it immensely. I love hard sci-fi, the characters are complex, and there was a woman astronomy student who was making it to the top.

Then I grew up to actually become a woman astronomer. Rereading this novel where I am in my life now, I find it disgusting it was that Bova's only woman character sleeps her way to the top - that is the only way she thinks of getting there, and
Tony duncan
May 12, 2009 Tony duncan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: hard core sci fi readers
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy, audio
I would actually give this 2 1/2 stars. I found much of it boring. But it was well written and the characters were fairly interesting. it just seemed to spend too much time developing this small elements of the plot line.
And maybe the characters were just too predictable and straightforward.
also here is a science fiction book about alein contact and it is not until the last 2 chapters that there is any alien contact.
I would want more before reading the next in the series.

Also, I guess it was a
Kaylon Tuttle
Jul 19, 2011 Kaylon Tuttle rated it did not like it
Shelves: own, 2011
I read this as a light read after finishing something heavier. I wanted a romp with action and adventure, maybe a little light romance. This book had all that and still managed to suck. It's a bit like a Bond movie with Roger Moore, full of great ideas, lacking a bit in execution. It was an easy read and if you want actiony guys with names like Keith Stone and really whorish ladies.... this is the book for you. If you want anything else, like believable and likable characters, you might look els ...more
T.L. Evans
Oct 18, 2012 T.L. Evans rated it did not like it
Voyagers by Ben Bova is an alien contact book that serves as both volume one in the Voyagers series, and as a stand-alone(ish) novel. Set in the 1980's, and somewhat dated by its politics and technology, it is a first contact novel that focuses on the personal and political wrangling that occurs when an alien object is detected heading towards Earth. Though it had great potential, the somewhat two dimensional aspects of the characters, and the blatantly sexist depiction of one in particular, dim ...more
Balkron
Apr 30, 2015 Balkron rated it it was ok
Shelves: space, reviewed
My Rating Scale:
1 Star - Horrible book, It was so bad I stopped reading it. I have not read the whole book and wont
2 Star - Bad book, I forced myself to finish it and do NOT recommend. I can't believe I read it once
3 Star - Average book, Was entertaining but nothing special. No plans to ever re-read
4 Star - Good Book, Was a really good book and I would recommend. I am Likely to re-read this book
5 Star - GREAT book, A great story and well written. I can't wait for the next book. I Will Re-Read th
Josh Zeringue
Feb 15, 2014 Josh Zeringue rated it it was ok
This book is sexist, boring, and boorish.

There is a big plot hole in the climax. The hero "sacrifices" himself in order to convince the people of earth to work together. In order to do this he ignores everybody else's advice and better judgment. In other words, in order to convince people to work together, he refuses to work with anyone. Epic fail.

Also, sexism is rampant in this novel. For example, if you fantasize about being a professor and convincing (coercing?) a pretty, young graduate stud
• Tom •
Aug 24, 2014 • Tom • rated it did not like it
Shelves: series
ok, I've listened to about 1 hour of the book (out of 9) so far, and felt compelled to give a review before I finish it.
I find the character depth to be quite shallow , and the plot too boring as well.

And in the audiobook version, there is a bible thumping preacher that is read so loud that it hurt my ears.

I put the book aside while I thought about continuing it later, but have decided that there's nothing drawing me to this book, so this will serve as my final review.
Acke
Feb 28, 2014 Acke rated it liked it
Ben Bova seems to have a dark view of human kind since almost every one in the book was driven by less then honorable reasons and quite a few of them where lying, scheming and bordering on antisocial behavior. The book actually was a bit depressing in the way there was no one to really cheer for. I hope the other books in the series is better in this regard so I'll give number two a shot at least.
Todd
Apr 18, 2016 Todd rated it it was ok
The 80s-style first contact story at the heart of the book is entertaining enough, despite a couple of plot holes and pointless diversions (what's the deal with the evangelist storyline, anyway?), but OH MY FSM the sexism. Women in this book exist for three basic reasons:
-to do stupid things
-to do evil things
-to give the men somewhere to put their penises
I remember enjoying this book when I first read it way back when, apparently teenaged 1980s me was not nearly as in tune with this topic as 40-
Jash Comstock
Jan 27, 2014 Jash Comstock rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Gabriel
Apr 17, 2015 Gabriel rated it did not like it
I do rather enjoy some of Bova's later stuff, but this one is wildly sexist, and pretty dull to boot. I kept hoping the cliché revivalist preacher character would do something interesting, but... nope.
Meghan Ewald
This was ok. Carl Sagan's "Contact" did it better.
Ippino
Insomma, non è che sia poi un granché.
Innanzitutto di fantascientifico c'è poco: le ultime cinquanta pagine, ma per il resto no.
La fantascienza è più una "cornice" entro cui infilare un romanzo di avventura, un thriller... avrebbe potuto scriverlo Crichton, oppure Cussler.
La storia in sè è molto dilatata, non succede molto in realtà, e si risolve in un modo ridicolo, con un colpo di scena banalissimo.
I personaggi sono inverosimili, a partire dal protagonista che è ex-astronauta, ex-fisico, cintu
Kate Rauner
Nov 05, 2013 Kate Rauner rated it did not like it
Ben Bova is an award winning science fiction author, has been on the editorial staff of Analog and Omni, and has written a ton of books. I thought it was about time I read some of his work. Voyagers, first published in 1981 and now available as an ebook, was the first one I found. The book rates 3.5 stars on Amazon with 22 reviews, but sadly, I cannot recommend the book.
The book opens with a university professor sexually harassing and intimidating a "helpless" and "trapped" female student knowin
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
How would our world react if we were suddenly given incontrovertible evidence that we were not alone in the universe; that there were other intelligent beings out there? Would the nations of Earth unite, or would there be even more discord as different governments tried to lay claim to the benefits that might arise from such a meeting? These are the questions that Ben Bova addresses in his novel Voyagers .

An old radio telescope at a small American university, a telescope operating at a much low
George
Oct 02, 2015 George rated it liked it
Shelves: public-library
Voyagers is an alien contact book with a lot of baggage. The story is told through the eyes of three persons and is very touchy feely in that way. It's a bit off putting because the female character sleeps her way to the top and at the end is very much begging...not very much integrity. One can see that the characters are developed, a Bova trademark, and the plot moves slowly, inexorably to the ending you know is going to happen. That said, volume two of the trilogy is ahead.
Jannell
Mar 14, 2016 Jannell rated it it was ok
I am absolutely appalled that this book was written in 1981. I was positive it had to have been written in the 1950s or earlier. The author's treatment of female characters is overall repulsive & regressive. Really the only reason that different Sexes interact with each other is for sex. A fairly interesting story and I thought I was sticking one through for a classic SF piece and now I'm annoyed that I even listen to the whole thing.
Jeff Gaffney
Jan 03, 2016 Jeff Gaffney rated it did not like it
Pretty much the same thoughts that others share. Concept was interesting. Plot and storyline to follow were boring and non-interesting. Oh yeah, totally agree with the sexist aspects of the book. The only female characters sleep their way around, or are "plain-looking" and uninteresting. Would never recommend.

I do like some other Ben Bova books however, the Mars series especially.
Matt Ayoub
Apr 28, 2016 Matt Ayoub rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable

Really enjoyed the story. Took a star off for the character development which in some cases was overly stereotypical and could have been more subtle. But despite this was a great plot and still had me routing for the protagonist.

Recommend.
Vijai
Feb 05, 2013 Vijai rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh
Not impressed. The juicy bit of this book starts way too late (the actual lift off to meet the goddamn alien ship) and ends abruptly like a hot chick dumping you on your second date.

Jo, the Pope, Cavendish and Jeff had no business being in the book. Come on! why bring the love angle when it is as unnecessary as the Oscar's? everyone knows what the important part of the story is and want to just get on with it but no Mr. Bova needs to pull that supposed hot chick and do a bad job of it with all
Rob Quick
Apr 02, 2014 Rob Quick rated it really liked it
Fairly standard Alien visitor story. Along the same vein as Rama. Unlike Rama it was entirely character focused. Which may disappoint hardened Sci-fi fans.
David B
Jan 07, 2015 David B rated it liked it
It delivers at the end when we make contact with the alien spacecraft, but for 90% of the novel, the "voyager" serves as nothing more than a pretext for a lot of dull interpersonal conflict and Cold War angst. There is pretty hamfisted characterization and borderline misogyny here, but I thought Bova improved a lot on that count in his novel "Mars," published 11 years later.
Sheri
Aug 09, 2015 Sheri rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I am so excited to find a new series!
Terry
Oct 30, 2012 Terry rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Voyagers is a first contact novel mired by the trappings of a Cold War thriller. Radio signals from Jupiter point to the existence of an alien spacecraft which leads to posturing between the USA and USSR. Ultimately the superpowers decide to cooperate -- at least on the surface. Bova gives a realistic touch to complications of contacting and possibly rendezvousing with an alien craft, but KGB-agents with sinister briefcases, oversexed scientists and a subplot involving an evangelical preacher ha ...more
Patrick
Nov 30, 2015 Patrick rated it liked it
still a good story, even if a bit dated

Bestand
Feb 15, 2015 Bestand rated it it was ok
So sexist I nearly had to stop reading.
Marion
Aug 21, 2011 Marion rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is my audio-book to listen to while biking, exercising or doing chores. I find the young women attracted to older men theme a little irritating; especially since I just read Innocent by Scott Turow. I'm still waiting to see how the alien encounter is played out.

So I finally got done. Was like a cold-war spy novel except instead of spying they're trying to hide the fact that an alien ship is in our solar system. I didn't think this held up well. I won't say what the ending was, but I was not
B. Jay
Sep 03, 2012 B. Jay rated it liked it
This book is an entertaining read about First Contact set in a Cold War era cloak and dagger world of scientists, astronauts and spies. There is nothing revolutionary in this book, and for my first Ben Bova novel I am underwhelmed so far. But I have Voyagers II on my bookshelf and it promises to be more cosmic and forward-looking to the future. Some readers may have been turned off by the romance and side characters, but I found the interrelations to help propel an otherwise flat and unoriginal ...more
Mark Baller
Jun 16, 2015 Mark Baller rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Alien space ship comes to earth - we meet and greet ahah
Bill Breen
Jun 12, 2014 Bill Breen rated it really liked it
Catching up on some classic sci fi. Part 1 of a trilogy. An Alien ship is discovered ---as it approaches Earth!
  • The Web Between the Worlds
  • Slave Ship
  • The Visitors
  • The Star King (Demon Princes, #1)
  • Children of the Thunder
  • Norby Through Time and Space (Norby, #5-6)
  • The Earth Book of Stormgate
  • The Great Explosion
  • The Morpheus Factor (Stargate SG-1 #4)
  • The Depths of Time (The Chronicles of Solace, #1)
  • The Deep Range
  • Skyfall
  • Predator: Big Game
  • Downtiming the Night Side
  • The Halcyon Drift (Hooded Swan, #1)
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...

Voyagers (4 books)
  • Voyagers II: The Alien Within
  • Voyagers III: Star Brothers (Voyagers, #3)
  • The Return (Voyagers, #4)