Start by marking “Voyagers (Voyagers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Voyagers (Voyagers, #1)

Voyagers (Voyagers #1)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  565 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Ex-astronaut turned physicist Keith Stoner knows the signals picked up at his space station are not random. The message is heading straight for Earth, and Stoner will do anything to be the first man to confront the enigma, even if he loses his only love.
Published August 15th 1989 by Tor Books (first published August 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Voyagers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voyagers

Andria
Minor spoilers below, but not enough to hide the entire review.

***********

When I first read this in high school, I enjoyed it immensely. I love hard sci-fi, the characters are complex, and there was a woman astronomy student who was making it to the top.

Then I grew up to actually become a woman astronomer. Rereading this novel where I am in my life now, I find it disgusting it was that Bova's only woman character sleeps her way to the top - that is the only way she thinks of getting there, and
T.L. Evans
Voyagers by Ben Bova is an alien contact book that serves as both volume one in the Voyagers series, and as a stand-alone(ish) novel. Set in the 1980's, and somewhat dated by its politics and technology, it is a first contact novel that focuses on the personal and political wrangling that occurs when an alien object is detected heading towards Earth. Though it had great potential, the somewhat two dimensional aspects of the characters, and the blatantly sexist depiction of one in particular, dim ...more
Tony duncan
May 12, 2009 Tony duncan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hard core sci fi readers
Shelves: audio, sci-fi-fantasy
I would actually give this 2 1/2 stars. I found much of it boring. But it was well written and the characters were fairly interesting. it just seemed to spend too much time developing this small elements of the plot line.
And maybe the characters were just too predictable and straightforward.
also here is a science fiction book about alein contact and it is not until the last 2 chapters that there is any alien contact.
I would want more before reading the next in the series.

Also, I guess it was a
Kaylon Tuttle
I read this as a light read after finishing something heavier. I wanted a romp with action and adventure, maybe a little light romance. This book had all that and still managed to suck. It's a bit like a Bond movie with Roger Moore, full of great ideas, lacking a bit in execution. It was an easy read and if you want actiony guys with names like Keith Stone and really whorish ladies.... this is the book for you. If you want anything else, like believable and likable characters, you might look els ...more
Jash Comstock
Josh Zeringue
This book is sexist, boring, and boorish.

There is a big plot hole in the climax. The hero "sacrifices" himself in order to convince the people of earth to work together. In order to do this he ignores everybody else's advice and better judgment. In other words, in order to convince people to work together, he refuses to work with anyone. Epic fail.

Also, sexism is rampant in this novel. For example, if you fantasize about being a professor and convincing (coercing?) a pretty, young graduate stud
Meghan Ewald
This was ok. Carl Sagan's "Contact" did it better.
Kate Rauner
Ben Bova is an award winning science fiction author, has been on the editorial staff of Analog and Omni, and has written a ton of books. I thought it was about time I read some of his work. Voyagers, first published in 1981 and now available as an ebook, was the first one I found. The book rates 3.5 stars on Amazon with 22 reviews, but sadly, I cannot recommend the book.
The book opens with a university professor sexually harassing and intimidating a "helpless" and "trapped" female student knowin
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
How would our world react if we were suddenly given incontrovertible evidence that we were not alone in the universe; that there were other intelligent beings out there? Would the nations of Earth unite, or would there be even more discord as different governments tried to lay claim to the benefits that might arise from such a meeting? These are the questions that Ben Bova addresses in his novel Voyagers .

An old radio telescope at a small American university, a telescope operating at a much lowe
Acke
Ben Bova seems to have a dark view of human kind since almost every one in the book was driven by less then honorable reasons and quite a few of them where lying, scheming and bordering on antisocial behavior. The book actually was a bit depressing in the way there was no one to really cheer for. I hope the other books in the series is better in this regard so I'll give number two a shot at least.
Vijai
Feb 05, 2013 Vijai rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: meh
Not impressed. The juicy bit of this book starts way too late (the actual lift off to meet the goddamn alien ship) and ends abruptly like a hot chick dumping you on your second date.

Jo, the Pope, Cavendish and Jeff had no business being in the book. Come on! why bring the love angle when it is as unnecessary as the Oscar's? everyone knows what the important part of the story is and want to just get on with it but no Mr. Bova needs to pull that supposed hot chick and do a bad job of it with all
Rob Quick
Fairly standard Alien visitor story. Along the same vein as Rama. Unlike Rama it was entirely character focused. Which may disappoint hardened Sci-fi fans.
David B
It delivers at the end when we make contact with the alien spacecraft, but for 90% of the novel, the "voyager" serves as nothing more than a pretext for a lot of dull interpersonal conflict and Cold War angst. There is pretty hamfisted characterization and borderline misogyny here, but I thought Bova improved a lot on that count in his novel "Mars," published 11 years later.
Terry
Voyagers is a first contact novel mired by the trappings of a Cold War thriller. Radio signals from Jupiter point to the existence of an alien spacecraft which leads to posturing between the USA and USSR. Ultimately the superpowers decide to cooperate -- at least on the surface. Bova gives a realistic touch to complications of contacting and possibly rendezvousing with an alien craft, but KGB-agents with sinister briefcases, oversexed scientists and a subplot involving an evangelical preacher ha ...more
Marion
This is my audio-book to listen to while biking, exercising or doing chores. I find the young women attracted to older men theme a little irritating; especially since I just read Innocent by Scott Turow. I'm still waiting to see how the alien encounter is played out.

So I finally got done. Was like a cold-war spy novel except instead of spying they're trying to hide the fact that an alien ship is in our solar system. I didn't think this held up well. I won't say what the ending was, but I was not
B. Jay
This book is an entertaining read about First Contact set in a Cold War era cloak and dagger world of scientists, astronauts and spies. There is nothing revolutionary in this book, and for my first Ben Bova novel I am underwhelmed so far. But I have Voyagers II on my bookshelf and it promises to be more cosmic and forward-looking to the future. Some readers may have been turned off by the romance and side characters, but I found the interrelations to help propel an otherwise flat and unoriginal ...more
Bill Breen
Catching up on some classic sci fi. Part 1 of a trilogy. An Alien ship is discovered ---as it approaches Earth!
• Tom •
ok, I've listened to about 1 hour of the book (out of 9) so far, and felt compelled to give a review before I finish it.
I find the character depth to be quite shallow , and the plot too boring as well.

And in the audiobook version, there is a bible thumping preacher that is read so loud that it hurt my ears.

I put the book aside while I thought about continuing it later, but have decided that there's nothing drawing me to this book, so this will serve as my final review.
This book is really dated from the Cold war era, and seems to be more of a wanna-be Bond movie than a science fiction story. There is a lot of politics, backstabbing, and pretty women who sleep around. However the main story is interesting. America found a starship and tries to make contact with it before it leaves our galaxy. I'm going to keep reading the series to see if they reveal any more of the spaceship's mysteries and hopefully the next book will mainly take place in space.
Mira Domsky
Astronomers discover proof of extraterrestrial intelligence, and are immediately hushed up by their governments internal security. American astronomers and Russian astronomers find themselves working together, despite their governements' mutual hatred of each other. Political plots, professional rivalries, and old fashioned lust complicate matters. I didn't particularly like any of the characters, but I liked the story.
Ken
Sep 14, 2008 Ken rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
I'm still listening to this one on CD. Halfway through, I'm pretty sure that Ben Bova has ever met a real person. I just can't believe how many inanities and stereotypical lines he can pack into his dialog and descriptions. In a way, they got the perfect reader for this audiobook, because I'm certain that he learned all of his accents from movies. This is truly awful, but I'm'a gonna finish it anyway.
Rob Roy
Written 30 years ago, this novel portrays the discovery of a probe from another star and the reactions of the US and the old Soviet Union to the discovery. Several people, far below the decision making level are affected by the politics of the situation, yet strive for scientific discovery nonetheless. It is a compelling story well worth reading.
Mr. Mike
I listened to the audio version of this book. Not a bad book. It's light on science fiction and heavy on how different Earth groups and persons--Soviets, Americans, an American Evangelist leader, the Vatican and a disgruntled Dutch druggie--react and sort of come together to make contact with a alien craft snooping around our solar system.
Ralph McEwen
Jul 04, 2010 Ralph McEwen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cheryl
I enjoyed this book. While it is part of a series it can be read as a stand alone, the ending completes the story. I will be reading Voyagers II: The Alien Within when I find it.
Lori
Ben Bova - another science fiction genius! I have read his "Voyagers" series and some of the "planet" books in his "Grand Tour" series. He is aged in his 70's and is still pumping out incredible sci-fi. He is in the Science Fiction Hall of Fame. I hope to read all of his books eventually.
Andy
First of a series, can't wait to see if the Americans and the Soviets join together to go after the alien ship before it leaves the solar system (don't tell me for those who have read it all). I was thoroughly entertained by this book.
Richard
Not the best, but certainly not the worst book I've read by Ben Bova. Dated, as it takes place in the early1980s but for those of us old enough to remember the Soviet Union and the arms/space race, it's an easy transition.
Kenn Anderson
Quick read. Pretty bad take on religion taking over. Will probably continue series as it is different enough for me to stay interested. The main charater is a bit godlike and will get boring if nothing can ever go wrong.
Pete Guion
This is about on par with the rest of Ben Bova's works that I've read to date. On the whole, decent and enjoyable. I'll reserve further judgment until I've gotten through the rest of the trilogy.
Shawn Britton
I found some of this book to be quite boring. I actually enjoyed reading it despite this. the book's plot moved at a snail's pace! But the ending does make me want to read the second book.
  • Summertide (Heritage Universe, #1)
  • The Visitors
  • The Years Of The City
  • The Star King (Demon Princes, #1)
  • The Deep Range
  • The Martian Race
  • Masters Of Everon
  • The Halcyon Drift (Hooded Swan, #1)
  • Captive Universe
  • The Great Explosion
  • The Boat of a Million Years
  • Mirage (New Isaac Asimov's Robot Mystery, #1)
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...

Voyagers (4 books)
  • Voyagers II: The Alien Within
  • Voyagers III: Star Brothers (Voyagers, #3)
  • The Return (Voyagers, #4)
Mars The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A Jupiter Venus Return to Mars